SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• I'll be following the single issues as they come out -- PLUS, I'll probably be getting the compilation once it's been released. And that's not something I often do! Additionally, there are plans afoot to do faithful adaptations of the novels -- I suspect you'll be wanting them to do Moonraker ASAP, eh @Birdleson?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I'll be following the single issues as they come out -- PLUS, I'll probably be getting the compilation once it's been released. And that's not something I often do! Additionally, there are plans afoot to do faithful adaptations of the novels -- I suspect you'll be wanting them to do Moonraker ASAP, eh @Birdleson?

Same here - looking forward to the novel adaptations, but when do we get them in Blighty?
  • My problem with most newspaper strip collections is that they don’t take full advantage of the strengths peculiar to a page of graphic narrative. Will Eisner’s essential time, Comics and Sequential Art, goes into this topic quite brilliantly and is highly recommended for anyone interested in this topic. Basically, you can do a lot more with a full page of sequential illustrations that captures and manipulates the readers’ emotions, than can be done with a daily dose of one, two, or at most three panels that also must recap the story for those who missed yesterday’s installment and then move the story along incrementally so that the reader is interested in following up with tomorrow’s installment. As far as when any of the Dynamite Comics Bond releases will be available at your local comics shop if said LCS is somewhere outside the United States, I recommend you try Diamond Comics Distributors’ Comic Shop Locator service, http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That is interesting about the comics; I've never read any. Fortunately, it sounds like they have really good people doing this.

Well, folks, it is early Monday a.m. as I type this ... and I am bowing out (again!) from this thread. I will rejoin you in almost exactly one month! I see SPECTRE on Sunday, Dec. 6th. I will definitely post something, my general first impressions, as soon as I get home from that. To say I'm excited and looking forward to this one is an understatement. ;;)

Meanwhile, this thread is in good hands. Have fun, @Beatles and everybody!
    4EverBonded will return ... ;)
  • The Omnibusses (what's the proper pural for Omnibus? Omnibi???) are certainly impressive tomes. How did you feel about the "original" (i.e. non-Fleming) stories?
  • Just so no one thinks we've been abandoned by our beloved @4EverBonded, here's a missive I recently received from her:

You don't need to post everything I send you; I just send you things of interest. Whatever is not posted can be kept for many weeks later or just not used. But I like to share with you when I find something I like. So feel free to post this or not post this during my time off. I'm just giving you a few things to look at. :)

By the way, I think the new Bond comics are interesting and I don't even read comics. ;) But your and Birdleson's insights make very good reading.

You may already know this site. I just found it via twitter. Haven't read a lot but it looks to have interesting info, including interviews Literary 007. This page shows 10 brands of items Bond in the novels enjoyed.

http://literary007.com/2015/11/09/branded-for-universal-export-literary-bonds-top-brands/

@Beatles back again: Thanks for that, @4Ever! While we’re discussing various books related to Bond and his author, I’d like to recommend the biography, Ian Fleming by Andrew Lycett…with one caveat: this is a very enlightening book for those who are interested in learning more about Ian Fleming, the imperfect human being. It is not going to be enjoyable reading for those who wish Fleming to remain in their minds as an icon of any sort, literary or otherwise. This is a warts-and-all depiction of Fleming’s life, loves, works, interests, joys and sorrows. It is written with kindness (for the author clearly is impressed by Fleming’s literary talent) but also with full knowledge of his faults and failings. This phrase from Fleming’s own notebook, written as the obvious end drew near, sticks with me as an indication of Fleming’s own self-awareness as well as his unfailing way with words: “I’ve always had one foot not wanting to leave the cradle, and the other in a hurry to get to the grave. It makes a rather painful splits of one’s life.”
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That was well said, Mr Fleming.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed. Actually, the fact that Fleming was aware of his shortcomings transcents to Bond, whom, literally, isn't perfect either. Which makes him relateable and interesting.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,564
    Here's @4EverBonded again with... well, it's not a spoiler but it may mess with your concentration for awhile. This is for all those who didn't get enough of Monica Bellucci in the film...

Since I'm off the forum, I may send you the url link to photos I find on twitter. Here is a dandy one that I am sure the guys would appreciate.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTWsD63VEAA41f2.jpg:large

@Beatles back again w/ a word to the wise: you may not want to check out this link with your significant other looking over your shoulder...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Whoah...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Oh, how @4Ever knows me....

Reading, at is my habit everytime a new Bond film comes out, a bit of Fleming. He uses the word "Spectre", or it derivatives, 6 times in the novel, Live and Let Die
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Here's @4EverBonded again with... well, it's not a spoiler but it may mess with your concentration for awhile. This is for all those who didn't get enough of Monica Bellucci in the film...

Since I'm off the forum, I may send you the url link to photos I find on twitter. Here is a dandy one that I am sure the guys would appreciate.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTWsD63VEAA41f2.jpg:large

@Beatles back again w/ a word to the wise: you may not want to check out this link with your significant other looking over your shoulder...

Ah, I have this as my wallpaper at work at the moment. Very nice!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    royale65 wrote: »
    Oh, how @4Ever knows me....

Reading, at is my habit everytime a new Bond film comes out, a bit of Fleming. He uses the word "Spectre", or it derivatives, 6 times in the novel, Live and Let Die

Fleming did like some words a lot and used them often. Just like he had a strong taste in women's clothing, which in his books end up pink more often then any other colour.
    Birdleson wrote: »

However, I just saw on an old thread that has been revived that his first experience with Bond was seeing a YOLT/TB double-feature in 1968. I saw that same double-bill (it was actually my second Bond experience). I like connections and links like that, it gave me a nice feeling.
    You and SirHenry would have gotten on quite well, I think.
  • DesmondBoothroydDesmondBoothroyd New England, USA
    Thanks for the invitation, Birdleson...it's refreshing to see that there are so many others for whom Sean Connery was their first James Bond on screen!
    The newspaper ads for Dr. No also brought up one of my first "Huh?" moments regarding the English language. Paper in hand, I remember asking my mother who Sean Connery was, pronouncing his first name as "seen". She corrected my pronunciation, and I pointed to the ad for the movie, and asked her, "Where's the H?"
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,707
    BTW when I was a kid, the 60's 007 films were always the best thing ever and I lived and breathed them at the time. I'm not sure that still happens today when there is so much info and opinions (pros and cons) that the new generation of fans have to deal with. In the 60's it really took determination to find in depth info about Bond and the films and each discovery was such a reward in itself. Also.......... at that time I never read about the budgets, grosses or read a review, that just didn't matter, I just wanted to be James Bond. (in between wanting to be an U.N.C.L.E. agent).
    Aside from @chrisisall , we're pretty civilized on this thread.
    Aside from ME??? F**K you man, I am TOTALLY F***ING civilized!!!

oh

Okay... I plead guilty to certain borderline barbarian & reactionary predilections.
    I blame my childhood. Another tale of wasted youth looking for the next Bond or Apes marathon showing.... 8-|
    Bond should have crossed over with BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES.
    I draw a silly line in the sand here.
    First he has to escape from the apes, then the underground mutants and finally the destruction of the planet Earth.
    Milo Bond?
    I've been away for some time but I wanted to make some minor comment regarding SPECTRE without Spoilers.
    I liked the film, and I was very pumped to see the gunbarrell at the beginning. It had been so long (since 2002) that we saw a proper gun barrel open a film. I also noted that they used they old classic look as well rather than the CGI thing we saw at the close of QoS and SF.
    Good job EON
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I've been away for some time but I wanted to make some minor comment regarding SPECTRE without Spoilers.
    I liked the film, and I was very pumped to see the gunbarrell at the beginning. It had been so long (since 2002) that we saw a proper gun barrel open a film. I also noted that they used they old classic look as well rather than the CGI thing we saw at the close of QoS and SF.
    Good job EON

Stretching truth a bit there.
    @Thunderfinger, forgive my saying the DAD gun barrel was proper. It was a piece of dreck. I just meant seeing the sequence open a film was traditional.
    Yeah, I loved that, too. Shivers down my spine, frankly.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    You might want to cover the
    GB at the beginning
    . Just in case 4EverBonded walks in here.
  • Does that count as a proper spoiler? It doesn't really affect the plot of the film at all...
    Does that count as a proper spoiler? It doesn't really affect the plot of the film at all...

No, it doesn t. Just good tidings.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Hi, guys. :) I have been staying away but thought I'd pop in just to read a bit.

Welcome, @DesmondBoothroyd! And please do take some time to go back to the beginning of this, SirHenry's fine thread. You'd enjoy reading much there - plenty of recollections from Originals and tons of detailed, great reviews. Highly recommended.

Always enjoy your comments, @Delfloria. Thanks for joining us here.
    And welcome back, @OHMSS69! So glad you liked SPECTRE. I'm really excited about this one!

Which leads me to ...
    Gunbarrell at the beginning?
    Ahhhhhh ... that's frickin' GREAT! :-O ... and I do wish I had not read that, as I prefer to be surprised in the theater. Which merely points out why I need to stay away completely from even our thread. My fault. But it is hard to stay away, I'm tellin' ya! I enjoy your thoughts and comments so much.

So yes, spoiler tags please. It is not just about the plot - the whole experience of seeing a Bond film in the theater ... from the moment you sit down and look at that screen, what unfolds. :>

I doubt I will be strong enough to stay away completely till Dec. 6th, to be honest. I am not strong in that regard. But I enter at my own risk, even here; I do realize that. But not just for me. Other people may want to be able to come here and truly be spoiler free for SPECTRE. Thanks!

Meanwhile, glad you are still chatting away. Have fun! See ya - you never know when with me ... ;)

Back over to you, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. Cheers!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,341
    *deleted post* :)]
    Here's a question for my originals if you have not already touched on this. If you have forgive me for my tardiness...

Given the events of SPECTRE, do you or would you want to see Craig return for a fifth film?

Me personally, I say no. Don't beat me up. But it has been a decade since he was named the sixth Bond and after four films (three good and one not so good) I think it is time to move on. Craig is 48 now and with him pushing 50 maybe its time to quit.

Question: do they recast M, Moneypenny, and Q as well?
    Your thoughts?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Except for
    Hinx pulling a Roy Batty on that disposable jerk
    I remained entirely spoiler free. And that was a small thing IMO.
    Still, Craig's best performance raises the movie up higher than any other.