Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
edited October 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 4,411
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a338490/adele-hints-at-recording-james-bond-theme-song.html

Adele hints at recording 'James Bond' theme song
Saturday, September 3 2011, 00:01 BST

Adele has fuelled rumours that she will record music for the next James Bond movie during an appearance on Jonathan Ross's new ITV chat show.

The 'Set Fire To The Rain' singer let slip on the first edition of The Jonathan Ross Show that her next musical project would be a "theme", later becoming embarrassed when the 50-year-old host proceeded to reference the iconic spy series.

"I'm going back in the studio in November, fingers crossed," she stated. "Well, this is actually a theme, what I've got to do. Wow, that's really giving something away."

Blushing as Ross started humming the opening tune to previous James Bond instalments, Adele added: "No. It's a concept. One song."

Bond 23 will open in cinemas on October 26, 2012.

Watch the full interview with Adele on The Jonathan Ross Show at 9.45pm tonight on ITV1.

<b><font color=darkblue>Title edited by Disco</font></b>

Comments

• Would love her to do it to be honest, lovely homegrown Brit.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 152
    I've never heard of her before.
    would be a sound choice, let's hope she gets a good producer, good music writer and a great textwriter. Oh and keep that Arnold chappie away he'll drum 'n bass her into mediocre hell.
    I hope its untrue after the last 2 themes being heavy on guitar I don't wanna go back to brass.
  • tqbtqb
    I think she'd be good
    Oh and keep that Arnold chappie away he'll drum 'n bass her into mediocre hell.
    I will have to disagree with that, as
    A. the crappie AWTD and DAD had NOTHING to do with him
    B. He Gave us YKMN and TWINE (the latter being one of the better things in the film)
    Ill think they'd go more piano/string sounding. Thats mostly her style anyway. It would be interesting to see her venture into something more guitar based, as in electric guitar considering its not common for her.

But there is no doubt she has the vocals, and I'm sure if the basic ingredients are met properly, it'll be a classic.
    Good choice if true. Also points to a more "classic" Bond having a diva belt out the title tune.
  • I knew it, if it's true, she's the best thing since sliced bed. The lady is a true singer song writer. And boy can she sing, I'm very happy. Bond 23 seems to shaping up just the way I like it.

• BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    I almost don't want Adele to sing the Bond theme.
    As much as I'd love to hear her wonderful singing voice, I wouldn't want her to become part of the Bond theme curse.
    If there is such a thing?
    Hasn't really worked out for those who've sung a Bond song in the past. Think about it.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,782
    I can understand what you're saying Benny, but I think she will transcend any issues. SB, DD, TJ, CS etc they haven't had it too bad have they? She's on an upward and upward curve. Unlike Duffy who killed here career with a naff coke ad, this is a good move for Adele and will make her a bonified Supastarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If the film is a good one, I say we will have the first No.1 Bond song on both sides of the pond, on iTunes etc in a long time. She's going to nail it.

A 70s stylee Bond moment from Adele here:

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It's the same story from the Mirror here, who seemed to be the first to report it: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/09/03/adele-lets-slip-on-jonathan-ross-that-she-may-be-doing-james-bond-theme-115875-23391975/

If she is good news, a great choice plus this would also mean EON are thinking about starting the song just as filming begins - using all that extra time again, well done.

EON must be furious though if she's let that slip now. Anyway, how could anyone with that knowledge be that careless? Would there dare to get someone else now?

If the story is to be believed - I know just an anonymous source - I wonder what else Adele has been approached to do in the past and turned down.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    EON must be furious though if she's let that slip now. Anyway, how could anyone with that knowledge be that careless? Would there dare to get someone else now?
    When was the last Bond film where no-one spilled the beans ? ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    When was the last Bond film where no-one spilled the beans ? ;-)
    Very far in advance though. If true we'll have this as a rumour until next Summer. A bit like Bardem.

Indeed, for this one, the beans seem to be well and truely spilt. Next, the title...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

They dropped Meat Loaf after he gave away his casting as a villain in DAD. So I guess they would have no compunction about dropping Adele, that is if she was going to be the artist for Bond#23.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,782
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/8543#Comment_8543

Somehow, outside of Eon's universe, I'd say they need Adele more than she needs them. After a decade of tat songs, it's time they put back one of the pieces that made Bond films what they are today; a great theme song.

You go girl and let them have their Lady Googaga fashionable tripe, if they do the dirty on you.

So I'm the only one who preffers the Live and let die A view to a kill the living Daylights You know my name another way to die approach.

If Sir Paul was asked to do one more I'm curious how many here would be up in arms?
  • i wouldn't be - his is the best bond song. but it was the fifth beetle who made it great. and that old codger is a bit deaf and retired.

But we're due a belter of a track and Adele has the umpff to do it. If it is true, I can't wait.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If Adele is doing the theme, then kudos to her as she is undeniably talented, a true musician and this is also a massive coup for EON. Other than being the 23rd Bond movie by EON, this marks the 50th anniversary since the series started, they have to come with the magic and epic wow factor and based on the casting rumours, the hired crew and of course Craig's enthusiasm of the script and him going to be really suave and now the possibility of Adele's musicall contributions, it's an excellent time to be a Bond fan and EON are clearly trying and putting in the effort to create something really special.
    EON must be furious though if she's let that slip now.
    That depends on how they're going about finding the artist for the film. They have two ways of doing it: either they will approach one artist directly (as they did with Madonna), or they will open up a submissions process and make a decision based on the demo tapes (which is what happened with Jack White). If you read all these articles about Adele doing the theme, she never says she has been approached. Even this like from the Mirror article you linked to does not confirm it:
    A source said: “Adele has often been approached to record title tracks. None have taken her fancy but when you look back at the iconic singers who have done Bond, she’d be in prestigious company.”
    Which is typical tabloid crap, by the way - an unnamed source giving a vague statement which supports whatever the paper is saying without directly commiting them to it.

Anyway, BOND 23 is currently only in pre-production. With the release still a year away, it's very early in the development cycle. I suspect EON have put out a call for artists to submit demo tapes, which is why Adele can talk about it. She'll record a theme, but not necessarily the theme.

Anyway, BOND 23 is currently only in pre-production. With the release still a year away, it's very early in the development cycle.
    Very early in the development cycle? It was early in the development cycle in 2009/2010. Not any more.

Very early in the development cycle? It was early in the development cycle in 2009/2010. Not any more.
    BOND 23 is still in pre-porduction. That's counted as being early in the development cycle. And besides, whatever was going on in 2009-10 was shut down because of the MGM saga. In the time since, the film was re-written and the actors followed through on other projects. If anything, 2009-10 was a false start, not a part of the development cycle.

Either way, EON doesn't usually announce the title artist until much, much closer to the film's release date. QUANTUM OF SOLACE came out some time around November 2008, but Jack White and Alicia Keys were only revealed as the title artists some time in August-September. So whatever you want to call it, announcing the title performer a year out from release is still very early, which makes me think that Adele is putting together a demo tape to submit to EON as opposed to recording a title theme at their request.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,585
    Here she is on the Jonathan Ross show:

The Bond reference is around the 5:45 mark. She said "no" but that doesn't really confirm anything. Perhaps it is a Bond demo she is going to do when she gets back in the studio. Or perhaps it is nothing to do with Bond. I dig her laugh! She has a wonderful, original voice too...very appropriate for Bond.

I love Jonathan Ross. He's hilarious! Glad he's back.
  • SharkShark Banned

B. He Gave us YKMN and TWINE (the latter being one of the better things in the film)
    Yeah, but still mediocre in the grand scheme of Bond songs.

Whats your fav Bond theme, @Shark?

My personal fave's are GF, GE, TWINE, and DAF
  • SharkShark Banned
    Whats your fav Bond theme, @Shark?

My personal fave's are GF, GE, TWINE, and DAF
    OHMSS, DAF, AVTAK, and LALD.

Oh!, I did forget LALD. Blast it when it comes on the radio.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think the tabloids are making a bit too much out of this, but I guess there's quite a lot of people who'd like her to do the song, me included. She's got a fantastic voice.
    I don't believe in the ' bond curse' for the artist we never heard about again weren't any good in the first place. To be honest, there aren't many Bond theme songs that are any good.

So please EON, if you haven't booked Adele, do so!
    I think the tabloids are making a bit too much out of this
    I'm surprised the tabloids haven't expressed outrage that "someone else" had suggested Adele when they were (supposedly) campaigning for her all along (they haven't been), as if they could influence EON's decision.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Have they? I completely missed that. probably becouse I don't read British tabloids.. But for all their stupidity and annoyingness, this time I agree!