Pierce Brosnan to star with Jackie Chan in new IRA-based thriller

in News Posts: 1,548
According to AICN Pierce is set to star in a new thriller about a Chinese man ( take a wild guess who) who#s wife is killed by an IRA terrorist. Brosnan is apparently up for the part of an ex-IRA member turned Government official. Maybe it's the same character he played in The Long Good Friday? Anyway. sounds promising and could possibly be a return to form after a few flops for PB.

Comments

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm intrigued
    I really wonder if Jackie Chan will ever be popular (not on same level as he was of course), or at least make a movie that will be generally liked
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I really wonder if Jackie Chan will ever be popular (not on same level as he was of course), or at least make a movie that will be generally liked
    He's got to make another Rush Hr with Tucker imho. One with a good script. I can't get enough of those two.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Pierce Brosnan, Jackie Chan, Martin Campbell... This is highly intriguing! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In a way " The circle is complete" as Pierce's first film was The Long good Friday.
    In which I think he played an IRA killer.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Can't really see Jackie Chan in a film about the IRA but I'll have to wait and see.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 5,808
    I wonder if it's not the adaptation of a novel I've seen a long time ago, where an Asian man whose wife was killed in a IRA bombing started using his own expertise in explosives (acquired in 'Nam) to kill those responsible. I don't remember the title or the author, though.

Found it : It's Stephen Leather's "The Chinaman" :

"The Chinaman understands death. Jungle-skilled, silent, and lethal, he had killed for the Viet Cong and then for the Americans, and he had watched helplessly when his two eldest daughters had been raped and killed by Thai pirates. But that was all behind him. Quiet, hardworking, and unassuming, the Chinaman had been building up a take-away food business when his wife and youngest daughter were caught by an IRA bomb in a department store. Simply but persistently, the Chinaman asked the authorities about who had set the bomb. After he is turned away by the authorities and treated as a nuisance, he decides there is only one path before him. The Chinaman, denied justice, decides he must take revenge into his own hands, and declares war."

You can buy it on Amazon :

amazon.com/The-Chinaman-Stephen-Leather-Thrillers/dp/0340580259
    dragonsky wrote: »

He is in China. Jackie Chan is massive in China. He has had a lot of huge hits there just in the last few years - Chinese Zodiac (around $145 million in China alone), Police Story 2013 ($85 million), Personal Story and Dragon Blade (both around $115 million. In China, he is a lot bigger than James Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How can this miss????
    I'm SO there for this.
  • I saw once a run of the mill Jackie Chan movie in the theater (the one with a gadget tuxedo) in Paris. But there was about 40 Chinese tourists in the theater. Quite an experience.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This sounds like fun & I'd like to see it.

@chrisisall, I finally saw November Man, by the way - and I frickin' LOVED it! :) I'll write more on that thread about it later.
    This sounds like fun & I'd like to see it.

@chrisisall, I finally saw November Man, by the way - and I frickin' LOVED it! :) I'll write more on that thread about it later.
    Yeah, the movie was made on an absolute shoestring budget, but boy didn't they put it all up there on the screen? My thing is that Pierce really acted his arse off!!!
    =D>
    Certainly sounds interesting!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Apparently, filming has begun in London...

3022875D00000578-3398039-image-m-1_1452712233308.jpg

302286C900000578-3398039-image-m-2_1452712241500.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Pierce looking sharp sporting a Timothy Dalton look.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brosnan looks great. He's got that sexy Henry Jones Sr air about him.
    Gerry Adams?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2016 Posts: 16,330
    He kinda reminds me of my college Math teacher.

I'm looking forward to this movie though. :)
    LeChiffre wrote:
    According to AICN Pierce is set to star in a new thriller about a Chinese man ( take a wild guess who) who#s wife is killed by an IRA terrorist. Brosnan is apparently up for the part of an ex-IRA member turned Government official. Maybe it's the same character he played in The Long Good Friday? Anyway. sounds promising and could possibly be a return to form after a few flops for PB.

It does not sound promising, because of the fact that it has Jacky Chan. There has never been a real, good, serious film with Chan. And I wonder why Brosnan prefers teaming up with him, instead of doing a movie like "The Matador" again. It shows that Brosnan keeps floating around in a rather B-like movie community.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    LeChiffre wrote:

It does not sound promising, because of the fact that it has Jacky Chan. There has never been a real, good, serious film with Chan. And I wonder why Brosnan prefers teaming up with him, instead of doing a movie like "The Matador" again. It shows that Brosnan keeps floating around in a rather B-like movie community.

• RC7RC7
    Brosnan is great in everything. There are better actors, but he's right up there when it comes to screen presence. I'd watch him watching paint dry.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I second that, @RC7.
    And, as I mentioned, I enjoyed November Man a lot. I'll look forward to this one as well.
    I second that, @RC7.
    And, as I mentioned, I enjoyed November Man a lot. I'll look forward to this one as well.
    Oh boy am I!! Brosnan Campbell & Chan! I know Chan's gonna play it straight, and no funny fight scenes. This might be big, my friends!
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I second that, @RC7.
    Oh boy am I!! Brosnan Campbell & Chan! I know Chan's gonna play it straight, and no funny fight scenes. This might be big, my friends!

We should organise a Japan trip to enjoy a Broz marathon with @4EverBonded
    |My goodness he looks like Gerry Adams!!! :-O
    Drunken Master
    Police Story III
    Wheels on Meals
    Armour of God
    Rumble in Bronx

are certainly good JC films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    LeChiffre wrote:

Agreed. Brozza basically playing Gerry Adams in a murky political/revenge thriller about the IRA sounds great.

But then they go and cast Jackie Chan? WTF? Its pathetic that the studios are so desperate for the Chinese box office that they now consider that first over who might be right for the part.
    Tracy wrote: »
    Drunken Master
    Police Story III
    Wheels on Meals
    Armour of God
    Rumble in Bronx

are certainly good JC films.

Not disagreeing that Chan is a legend (The 'PTS' of the original Police Story is quite possibly better than that of any Bond film) but he is not right for what this sounds like it is trying to be. His strength is basically being a Chinese Roger Moore who does his own stunts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brozza is in need of a recent hit, and this will give it to him. Then he can go do something serious again if he wants.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    But then they go and cast Jackie Chan? WTF? Its pathetic that the studios are so desperate for the Chinese box office that they now consider that first over who might be right for the part.
    What's wrong with Jackie Chan being cast? He's very good in serious roles.