Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Ground Hog Day A good lesson in humility.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ghostbusters is delicious. The sequel, not so much. I'm actually positive towards the 2016 film if you can believe that.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,813
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ghostbusters is delicious. The sequel, not so much. I'm actually positive towards the 2016 film if you can believe that.
    I took my wife to see Ghostbusters and we both LOVED it! I was positive going in, but was prepared for it to be terrible (how I see most movies these days, lol)

Ghostbusters 2 is a tricky one though. On the one hand it has so many cool things like Vigo, the river of slime, cool new equipment, etc. but even though it came out in 1989, it really felt like a 90's movie- the bad kind. Most notably, all the rap music. Remember all those early 90's movies, how they HAD to have rap playing throughout? Rocky V was a big offender too. And not just the rap, the entire soundtrack was completely changed for the worse. Take RoboCop 2. The soundtrack is IMPORTANT.

There are lots of headscratching moments too- like how the Ghostbusters are broke and people think they're frauds- did they forget the first movie already?!?
    And baby Oscar- they had potential for some serious character development. Like who's the dad- if not Peter, the likely assumption, or at least someone we knew, then it's like the script decided Dana has a kid just because. It would have been funny actually if it was Louis (it is a comedy after all, they could have had fun with that! ) PLUS it could tie back to the first movie with the whole Gatekeeper/Keymaster bit. The move would have to be 'one year later' instead of '5 years later' but you get my point.

I'm nitpicking though, only because the first one was so perfect. I love the courtroom scene, the bickering between the guys... and there were some creepy moments too-- like the heads on spikes in the undergound railroad

GhostbustersII_8009.JPG

the idea of the spectrometer (that scene when they developed the film and saw shit that wasn't there when they took the shots- that always creeped me out)

And I might be in the minority but I loved Janosz.

All said and done I'd still give it a 6 out of 10.

It's a shame they didn't do a sequel before 1989.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I took my wife to see Ghostbusters and we both LOVED it! I was positive going in, but was prepared for it to be terrible (how I see most movies these days, lol)

Ghostbusters 2 is a tricky one though. On the one hand it has so many cool things like Vigo, the river of slime, cool new equipment, etc. but even though it came out in 1989, it really felt like a 90's movie- the bad kind. Most notably, all the rap music. Remember all those early 90's movies, how they HAD to have rap playing throughout? Rocky V was a big offender too. And not just the rap, the entire soundtrack was completely changed for the worse. Take RoboCop 2. The soundtrack is IMPORTANT.

There are lots of headscratching moments too- like how the Ghostbusters are broke and people think they're frauds- did they forget the first movie already?!?
    And baby Oscar- they had potential for some serious character development. Like who's the dad- if not Peter, the likely assumption, or at least someone we knew, then it's like the script decided Dana has a kid just because. It would have been funny actually if it was Louis (it is a comedy after all, they could have had fun with that! ) PLUS it could tie back to the first movie with the whole Gatekeeper/Keymaster bit. The move would have to be 'one year later' instead of '5 years later' but you get my point.

I'm nitpicking though, only because the first one was so perfect. I love the courtroom scene, the bickering between the guys... and there were some creepy moments too-- like the heads on spikes in the undergound railroad

GhostbustersII_8009.JPG

the idea of the spectrometer (that scene when they developed the film and saw shit that wasn't there when they took the shots- that always creeped me out)

And I might be in the minority but I loved Janosz.

All said and done I'd still give it a 6 out of 10.

They did make a sequel, just not as a film.

header.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I started watching High-Rise last night, as I'm a big Ballard fan, but gave up halfway through and went to bed.

To be fair, I did enjoy all the gratuitous detailed shots of '70s architecture. And of Tom Hiddleston.
    This:

MV5BMTc5NjQ3NzkzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU2MTQ2MDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,677,1000_AL_.jpg

Gemma looks gorgeous in this film ,and Idris Elba gives her a right rodgering !!
    To Catch a Thief (1955). Fun, breezier Hitchcock film!
    Another good choice @FoxRox.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,813

They did make a sequel, just not as a film.

I meant a sequel to the original one before 1989. I'm not talking Ghostbusters 3
    @DaltonCraig007

Watched GHOST IN THE SHELL! :) I'm really pleased with how the source material was handled. It's a fun little movie, full of nice nods to the original manga and anime film. The visuals were lovely; the story good enough for a more mainstream adaptation of GITS. All in all, I'm rather satisfied. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DarthDimi, that's very good to hear. I know nothing about that series, but what I do know is that the studio's marketing team clearly got a lot of use out of Scarlett's pseudo-nude body in all the trailers and TV spots. If anything will put butts in seats, it's that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Glad you enjoyed it, @DarthDimi! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Terminator'

Definitely one of my favorite films of all time, and in the last few years, I've felt more and more comfortable considering it one of my favorite "horror" movies, as it definitely fits the description: helpless girl being tracked by an unstoppable career, creepy vibes and dead bodies throughout, before a finale where she's trapped alone, taking on the monster by herself. This film fires on all cylinders, and wows me with everything it does.

"Nice night for a walk, eh?"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved Terminator when it came out, but lately I see its faults. I much prefer its sequel and Genisys now.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Genisys' is just a combination of the first two movies, only in a much, much worse sense, with some original stuff thrown in that doesn't work for me. Glad any sequels to that are now canned. However, I did appreciate how particular scenes were near shot-for-shot remakes from the original, just for stuff to get flipped on its side (like the department store stuff in the beginning).
    LOGAN

I went back for sloppy seconds, but they tasted even better than the first meal. What a film! I had to suppress a tear at times and as was the case before, I'm in utter awe that they made this film as gritty and raw and rough as they did, no matter the fact that this is a Marvel superhero film. I can't wait to see it again!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LOGAN

I went back for sloppy seconds, but they tasted even better than the first meal. What a film! I had to suppress a tear at times and as was the case before, I'm in utter awe that they made this film as gritty and raw and rough as they did, no matter the fact that this is a Marvel superhero film. I can't wait to see it again!

I think that movie will always move me when I think about it, @DarthDimi. When I so much as picture
    Laura tipping the cross to make an "X,"
    I get instant goosebumps. So, so powerful.
    That moment, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, stands out for me as arguably the best X-related geekgasm in the entire X-series, except, perhaps, for when Magneto breaks out of prison in X2. I can't stop ruminating over this film; it's a jewel of a superhero film. This is to MARVEL what THE DARK KNIGHT is to DC. Intelligent, expertly made, full of thought-provoking moments.
    I have contemplated going a second time myself, which I very seldom do.
    That moment, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, stands out for me as arguably the best X-related geekgasm in the entire X-series, except, perhaps, for when Magneto breaks out of prison in X2. I can't stop ruminating over this film; it's a jewel of a superhero film. This is to MARVEL what THE DARK KNIGHT is to DC. Intelligent, expertly made, full of thought-provoking moments.

@DarthDimi, I originally disagreed with The Dark Knight comparison, but I do see it now. Not only in the more grounded nature of the story, but also in the depth and resonance of the writing, and how even comics tied into the story in a very meta but heartfelt way. Just like in real life (our lives) the comic books of Logan's world gave ordinary people hope for things they wished could be real, and that hits me so hard. It's a movie about how the actions of people can often be distorted and used to tell lies, but the lies, like the X comics, can also be the things that inspire people to have faith in something beyond themselves and a better world. Even while they were being hunted, shamed and killed, the mutants were that hope for people, the sign that being different is okay.

For conclusions to movies, I can't think of any other movies in the genre outside of The Dark Knight and Logan that just hit you so hard with poignant moments, character depth, emotion, hero imagery, all of it. These are the two I would show to anyone who looks at comics and superhero films and tries to tell me they are nothing but loud special effects and action. These movies speak for everything it means to be a human and what it means to be a symbol of good for people while facing real social issues and current day fears. When these films get me to shed puddles in reaction to what I'm seeing I have to give them credit because they engage a part of my heart that forgets I'm watching people in suits with powers fly around.

I'll preach about these movies everywhere, because they're message films that anyone can watch and learn something about what it means to be a good person while doing so. In a world so cynical and full of hate, it's nice to see the right ones win.

@Thunderfinger, I definitely recommend you do.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the only other DC/Marvel superhero film I might consider a part of that short list, though only in its first half, is SUPERMAN THE MOVIE. An X-Men film like DAYS OF FUTURE PAST comes close. So does BATMAN BEGINS. In fact, I typically treat Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy as one whole.

@Thunderfinger, I definitely recommend you do.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the only other DC/Marvel superhero film I might consider a part of that short list, though only in its first half, is SUPERMAN THE MOVIE. An X-Men film like DAYS OF FUTURE PAST comes close. So does BATMAN BEGINS. In fact, I typically treat Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy as one whole.

I would add The Winter Soldier too probably, for how it uses Cap to make very human statements about time, sacrifice, friendship, the whole nine. It's another film that just gets me at certain moments every time, and makes me proud to be a comic fan.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Yes, I agree! Excellent choice. THE WINTER SOLDIER is another one for our list.
    And how about CAPTAIN AMERICA-THE FIRST AVENGER?
    And how about CAPTAIN AMERICA-THE FIRST AVENGER?

I know that film isn't a favorite, but the first twenty minutes of Cap 1 and how they built the character of Steve up from a meek kid to an honorable soldier is by far my favorite section of any Marvel film ever. It's some of the greatest character building I've seen in cinema period, so beautifully done. It's impossible not to fall in love with Steve as he stands up to bullies, looks out for his fellow man and wants nothing more than to serve as part of something greater than himself. In just a short time we see his determination and his big heart come out, jumping on what he thinks is a live grenade to save everyone else, and later choosing to fight and kill in the war even though he despises the idea of it.

Steve is far and away my favorite Avenger and Marvel character in these movies, and a lot of that love is down to how he's written and development at the beginning of Cap 1. I have issues with the film, but the genius of its character building of Steve makes it worthy of praise.
    What I like most about the first Cap film--which I do like I should add, it ranks third in Phase 1 for me, behind AVENGERS and IRON MAN--is the score of the film. Silvestri really gives us a marvellous bit of music.
    The Guns of Navarone

FYEO basically copied this film.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Patriots Day

Good and realistic , yet sad recreation of the Boston marathon bombing. Enjoyed Wahlberg in it as well, as well as the supporting cast in Kevin Bacon, John Goodman and JK Simmons.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The Guns of Navarone

FYEO basically copied this film.

I wouldn't go that far, but some of those visuals during the FYEO are very similar (beyond the obvious fact that they's are assaulting a fortress by climbing).

There's even a bird scare as Peck climbs the rock.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    'Hell Drivers' featuring a very young Sean Connery.