Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    This takes us back to the money making aspect of the films. Both Laz's and Dalt's entries were underperformers (relatively speaking) at the box office. The question is will MGM & EON tolerate that going forward? I doubt it.

Craig's have all performed well, and his films are not that far off Fleming Bond.
    Yes, they have. I was referring to comments about Dalton and Laz being the most Fleming'esque of the portrayals. Neither actor demonstrated the natural suavity required for a financial successful film Bond actor imho.

Craig does, as long as he sticks to what he's good at and plays within his safe zone, which is within a more grounded & serious universe which is actually closer to the character & tone of the novels.

If they want to inject larger than life fantasy with Craig as Bond, they have to do it with the supporting characters. They successfully achieved this with SF, which is the only Craig entry to really lift the box office numbers in terms of number of theatre goers Stateside. CR, QoS & SP were all relatively static.
    It's doable, even with Fleming material, to still inject larger than life fantasy. It's all there. The producers just need to look.

Dr. Shatterhand and his Garden of Death, Bond trapped and sat above an erupting tiny volcano chair before escaping and flying off in the sky on a helium balloon.

A brainwashed Bond trying to kill M.

Bond going undercover as Mark Hazard to kill the deadliest hitman on earth, only to find himself on an open steam train, about to be killed as a spectacle for Scaramaga's guests.

Bond being almost kicked to death by a couple of Brooklyn mobsters wearing football boots.

Bond rescuing the heroine who is trapped in a motel by a couple of mobsters who plan to rape her then kill her.

There is much more I can list, but I think you get the point...
    I do, and I can see Craig successfully pulling off any of the above scenes.

Absolutely! Which is why I have been frustrated with his tenure ever since they abandoned using any Fleming material after CR, and coming up with far weaker scenes and storylines, IMO.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dalton did care about the novels, yes. But, his iteration of the character wasn't that of the literary rendition. His Bond was a bit too emotional and morally-driven as opposed to the opinionated character of the books by Fleming where he was pretty much cold-hearted despite having doubts and all. The closest we've had to the Fleming Bond was Lazenby's incarnation, in my honest opinion, and not even that was 100% faithful.

I don't agree with this. In TLD maybe (as this was written for Moore).

But Dalton in LTK is the exact carbon copy of Fleming from the books. Lazenby in OHMSS wasn't far off either, be he was lucky in that the script pretty much followed the novel, so he had no choice but to play the Fleming character. Being physically fit but slightly wooden probably helped convey that to screen too actually.
    Tonally, both were and could be passed as Fleming's novels, but it's Bond's characterization I'm referring to with Dalton that didn't seem like Fleming's character, at all. In comparison, the Bond of the books is a bit rough around the edges (albeit much lesser, much much lesser than Connery) and cold-hearted, hardly caring about the fellows around him whereas Dalton's Bond was sentimental. The reason he was on rampage in LTK was because he was seeking revenge for the wrongs done to Felix. Bond in the LALD novel expressed a few sympathies and simply got on with the assignment.

Acting-wise, I agree Lazenby was wooden for the standards that came before and after. But, again, I was referring to his characterization being the closest to that of the books. The Bond in the OHMSS script, that is. To sum up Lazenby's Bond, he was an amalgamation of Sean Connery and the Fleming Bond, at least that's how I see it.
    Dalton did care about the novels, yes. But, his iteration of the character wasn't that of the literary rendition. His Bond was a bit too emotional and morally-driven as opposed to the opinionated character of the books by Fleming where he was pretty much cold-hearted despite having doubts and all. The closest we've had to the Fleming Bond was Lazenby's incarnation, in my honest opinion, and not even that was 100% faithful.

But Dalton in LTK is the exact carbon copy of Fleming from the books. Lazenby in OHMSS wasn't far off either, be he was lucky in that the script pretty much followed the novel, so he had no choice but to play the Fleming character. Being physically fit but slightly wooden probably helped convey that to screen too actually.
    Tonally, both were and could be passed as Fleming's novels, but it's Bond's characterization I'm referring to with Dalton that didn't seem like Fleming's character, at all. In comparison, the Bond of the books is a bit rough around the edges (albeit much lesser, much much lesser than Connery) and cold-hearted, hardly caring about the fellows around him whereas Dalton's Bond was sentimental. The reason he was on rampage in LTK was because he was seeking revenge for the wrongs done to Felix. Bond in the LALD novel expressed a few sympathies and simply got on with the assignment.

Acting-wise, I agree Lazenby was wooden for the standards that came before and after. But, again, I was referring to his characterization being the closest to that of the books. The Bond in the OHMSS script, that is. To sum up Lazenby's Bond, he was an amalgamation of Sean Connery and the Fleming Bond, at least that's how I see it.

I'm not one for Bond hell bent on revenge either, but I feel in LTK it works. Dalton's Bond is rough round the edges too. The wardrobe reflects this also. He is completely humourless. He kills cold-bloodily (`you earnt it, you keep it, old buddy!') sounds exactly like the cold killer Fleming Bond.

`Don't you want to know why?' before setting fire to Sanchez.

To say that Dalton is nothing remotely like the Fleming Bond `at all' is truly bizarre. Baffling, in fact.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    @jetsetwilly. You are clearly a man of sence and good taste.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly. You are clearly a man of sence and good taste.
    Cheers!!

B-)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So if Craig is done hypothetically. Then who should be Bond?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Benny wrote: »
    I have a few basic requirements.

-Over 6 ft.
    -Must be able to do suave naturally & be comfortable & credible with the ladies while projecting masculinity.
    -Must have screen charisma & charm & be able to operate within the Bond straightjacket.
    -Must be able to act (although I don't need a thespian, some range is preferred in order to handle the inevitable dramatic moments without having to resort to overt facial contortions & strained expressions).
    -Must have a smooth, mature & commanding voice & a distinct English accent.
    -Oh, and a bit of hair would be preferable too, although I acknowledge that the supplementations have improved dramatically since Connery's time.

That's about it.

-Over 6 ft.
    -Must be able to do suave naturally & be comfortable & credible with the ladies while projecting masculinity.
    -Must have screen charisma & charm & be able to operate within the Bond straightjacket.
    -Must be able to act (although I don't need a thespian, some range is preferred in order to handle the inevitable dramatic moments without having to resort to overt facial contortions & strained expressions).
    -Oh, and a bit of hair would be preferable too, although I acknowledge that the supplementations have improved dramatically since Connery's time.

That's about it.
    +1
  • bondjames wrote: »

-Over 6 ft.

That's about it.

Sounds like Idris Elba is your perfect choice.
    B-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    united1878 wrote: »

-Over 6 ft.

That's about it.

B-)
    I forgot to add the obvious requisite attribute because I thought that was a given, despite PC media hoopla. That attribute would automatically disqualify Elba, although he does admittedly hit quite a few of my other requirements squarely on the head.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 3,279

-Over 6 ft.

That's about it.

B-)
    I forgot to add the obvious requisite attribute, because I thought that was a given, despite PC media hoopla. That attribute would automatically disqualify Elba, although he does admittedly hit quite a few of my other requirements squarely on the head.

Which would be dark hair, blue eyes and white skin, I'm guessing..? ;)

I would also add, must facially look like a hard, tough badass, and preferably aged around late 30's, so the actor can grow into the part and be around for the next decade at least.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think tom Hiddleston meets almost all of those categories

Ye he does. I'm guessing though the next actor will be a relatively unknown person, someone who is not on the radar.

Except Hiddleston doesn't look like a tough badass hard man. And he definitely can't pull off the physical fistfights quite well (The Night Manager showcased it).
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 199
    Except Hiddleston doesn't look like a tough badass hard man. And he definitely can't pull off the physical fistfights quite well (The Night Manager showcased it).

Well, I will always champion Hiddleston. To me he's closer to the Roger Moore gentleman spy that I grew up with, so I would be happy if he (eventually) took over the part. However, I am 100% convinced that Craig will do Bond 25. After that I suspsect we'll get a new Bond.
  • I'd be happy with James Norton or Tom Cullen, all these more famous names would be so disappointing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I disagree on the hardman discription of Fleming's Bond. He's only willing to kill when he thinks the guy deserves it (it's why TMWTGG is a novel at all, he get's picked up by Scaramanga and knows he's making a mistake not killing him there and then) and in his weaker moments isn't quite sure he's on the right side (discussion between bedded Bond and Mathis, CR). Bond needs a reason to kill. It always comes back. he hates cold-blooded killing (short story FYEO).

I think Dalton and Craig by far show this the best, Dalton even better then DC.

SP was mentioned. I was rewatching it recently because I didn't understand the negativety. I think that's all to do with the script and direction (sorry Mendes!). Craig is,imo, doing a fine job. Far more balanced and with humour. But when a car chase isn't exciting at all (mostly because of the lack of proper music and threat) the jokes fall flat a little. The train fight, on the other hand, is very intense, and is one of the best action pieces in the series I think. The story though, with the 'brother' subplot, allthough maybe only meant as to show how insane Blofeld is, makes it all too fictional and thus less threatening. An insane man is just scary, a genius on the edge (like the Blofeld in the books) is far more threatening and worrying. Still, this all isn't Craig's fault. But the return of P&W is not something I applaude.

I think Craig is a very good actor and the closest we'll get to Fleming in this day and age. Yes, they could still use Fleming material, but it's hard to incorporate it in the runaway stories they're writing recently. SF only worked because of the acting, not because of the script.

But, if he'd move away, I certainly would prefer a Dalton-esque actor over a Moore type. so no Hiddleston.

-Over 6 ft.

That's about it.

Plus white anglo saxon british.

-Over 6 ft.

That's about it.

B-)

Distinct English accent? Working class cockney wide boy more like (and black).

I thought that the Night Manager showcased that HE CAN pull off the physical fistfights quite well??
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love how without fail, Idris Elba's name triggers people. I seriously just find it so funny. He'll never be cast as Bond but honestly, some of you, particularly @suavejmf give it more energy and attention than you should. Relax, Bond isn't changing skin colour. @united1878 merely wanted to amuse himself and was clearly being facetious.
    His heritage aside, though, Idris Elba does have that Connery type charisma and masculinity without putting effort into it. Watched him in both Luther and Bastille Day a couple of weeks ago, and I've got to admit, the man has certain uniqueness. I can easily see him being cast in a Bond-like role and win way too many audiences.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elba being one of the other 00-agents who could get his own spin-off film and/or series.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    His heritage aside, though, Idris Elba does have that Connery type charisma and masculinity without putting effort into it. Watched him in both Luther and Bastille Day a couple of weeks ago, and I've got to admit, the man has certain uniqueness. I can easily see him being cast in a Bond-like role and win way too many audiences.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elba being one of the other 00-agents who could get his own spin-off film and/or series.

Agreed that would be cool he could be like Alek travelyn type killed in the cold open or something or just on a mission with bond. Also what's worse, a Chinese gay bond or a woman bond
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423

Agreed that would be cool he could be like Alek travelyn type killed in the cold open or something or just on a mission with bond. Also what's worse, a Chinese gay bond or a woman bond
    I definitely wouldn't want Elba as a villain. Whenever there's machismo in an actor nowadays is being instantly antagonized and the man is cast as a villain. Elba, should he be in a Bond film, should be another hero fighting a very unstoppable enemy alongside Bond, possibly one final climax with all the 00-agents ambushing the main SPECTRE base. Think the climax from You Only Live Twice (the movie!) but bigger. A lot bigger. And by far less camp, preferably.

As for the rather "diverse" type for the Bond role, anyone in their right minds wouldn't go for such absurdity.
    Line Of Duty's Vicky McClure Responds To Female 'James Bond' Rumours

‘Line Of Duty’ star Vicky McClure has admitted she would love to take on the role of James Bond, having become one of the names linked to the role.

The actress has said it would be “genius” move if bosses were to cast her as the first female 007.

Vicky has become an unlikely contender to replace Daniel Craig as the British spy in recent weeks, and she has now responded to the speculation in an interview with The Sun.

“I’ve lapped it up – why not?” she said. “This rumour is a very funny thing to have happened.

“A Nottingham girl playing Bond is never going to happen in a million years.

“But it would be genius if it did, wouldn’t it?”

James Norton is the bookies’ favourite to be the new Bond, while other names in the frame include Aiden Turner, Idris Elba and Tom Hardy.

Vicky certainly has the acting chops to take over the lead role in the espionage film franchise.

As well as appearing as DS Kate Flemming in BBC One’s ‘Line Of Duty’, she’s appeared in a number of TV’s most critically acclaimed shows.

She played Frances ‘Lol’ Jenkins in the ‘This Is England’ series, for which she won a Bafta Award for Best Actress in 2011.

Vicky also starred in the second series of ‘Broadchurch’ as journalist Karen White, and most recently played the creepy Paula in BBC One’s maternity leave thriller ‘The Replacement’
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Uhhh, NO. That is such foolishness. She has an odd concept of genius.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Has there been an asylum mass escape lately?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    A Nottingham girl playing Bond is never going to happen in a million years.

Indeed.
    I guess nowadays pretty much anybody can tell the press they'd like to be the next James Bond and the media will jump on it practically announcing that person as the new 007.
    Has there been an asylum mass escape lately?
    I commented similarly on the matter elsewhere and it was found offensive.