Sean Connery as James Bond, 1962-1985

edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,813
Assuming he wasn't sick of it (YOLT) and wasn't doing it for the money (DAF), just what would it have been like if Connery had stuck with the series and continued until 1985, making TLD a 'reboot' of sorts.
The thought occurred to me when I read the NSNA thread and thought to myself 'hmmm, what if it had been him this whole time?', not unlike the TV character, Columbo, was played exclusively by Peter Falk for YEARS and aged the whole way (not that I'm comparing Columbo with James Bond, lol) Then we could truly say, 'Sean Connery IS James Bond'

And BTW, I'm trying to avoid the inevitable 'it would have sucked' or 'it wouldn't have lasted', (I agree it likely wouldn't have lasted) but rather, I want to hear how Sean would have handled the situations of the films George and Roger did? That being said, I'll get the ball rolling!

OHMSS- I'll just skip this as it's been discussed tons of times

LALD- while I like Moore very much- I feel like Connery wouldn't have taken too kindly to being pushed around in Harlem (at the fillet of soul and when he first meets Mr Big). And knowing Mr. Connery, he would have taken Solitaire's virginity at their FIRST meeting (maybe even BEFORE! lol) but seriously, him with Quarrell JR would have been cooler because of the history, and the hand to hand combat would have had Connery's famous ruthlessness (every Connery movie should have had a 'Bond vs Grant' type of brawl- in this one it should be Bond vs Kananga)

TMWTGG- Obviously, the showdown between Mr. Connery and Mr. Lee would have been epic. And I feel like Knick Knack wouldn't have been so lucky as he was with Moore at the end of the film... and we likely wouldn't have had Sheriff Pepper again (does anyone else feel the urge to call him Sergeant Pepper? lol!)

TSWLM- we've seen Connery handle Russian women before- this entry would probably been closer to the Cold War awesomeness that FRWL was. Connery wouldn't have been an idiot in the van while Jaws was attacking (the one time I've ever wanted to slap sense into Roger Moore) - and we'd see him in his awesome Navy uniform- this time for some action!

MR- this is the only one I feel wouldn't have been any good. Moonraker is a DUMB movie- a fun dumb one granted, but let's be honest: it's silly. Moore is the reason this one works as a popcorn flick. I feel if we went from serious Connery in the early years to goofy Connery in MR, it would likely kill the series there.

FYEO- Now this would have been pretty cool! Keeping with the aging theme, I don't see Connery sleeping with Mileena- his relationship with her would be more paternal (even more than Roger's) which is fine- we've had Bond movies where he doesn't sleep with the main girl (QOS).

OP- this is Octopussy without the existence of NSNA obviously, though it's helpful that we know exactly how Connery Bond would have looked in 1983! I feel like the clown business wouldn't have happened- and since Connery was with Bernard Lee the WHOLE time, it would make sense to throw a bit of tension in between Connery and Robert Brown

AVTAK- Connery vs Walken- that sounds like a MONSTER MOVIE!! lol seriously, this one MUST address the age and possibly retirement for agent 007- with it being Connery's last film, they'd just have to pull all the stops; it would likely be a different movie entirely. Hell, maybe he'd even end up with MoneyPenny at the end!

Anyway, those are my ideas, just for starters. I'm curious to hear yours!

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    A Connery era of 24 years and 14 movies, would most certainly mean the end of the franchise the day Connery would announce his departure. Assuming the movies were still popular in 1985, Connery and Bond would be so linked together in people's mind, it would be unimaginable to have anyone else than him as James Bond. I honestly believe that Cubby had a whole franchise in mind when he started working on DN. And I dare say Cubby knew from the beginning that if he wanted his franchise to last decades, there will be successors to Connery in the role. And he could most likely understand that if Connery made too many movies, the public would not be inclined to see someone else as Bond. I dare say 10 years of Connery was the mindset from the beginning.
    Really interesting Post MD!

Here are my thoughts
    Quoting Master_Dahark: LALD-
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said on LALD. I think LALD would have been better with Connery. It seemed like a natural extension of DAF. Plus Moore, doesn't seem quite comfortable in the role yet; Connery would have been a more natural fit.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: TMWTGG- Obviously, the showdown between Mr. Connery and Mr. Lee would
    have been epic. And I feel like Knick Knack wouldn't have been so lucky as he
    was with Moore at the end of the film... and we likely wouldn't have had Sheriff
    Pepper again
    I don't think TMWTGG would have worked. Lee and Connery are more equal in physical stature than Moore and Lee. I liked seeing Moore's Bond up against someone slightly more physically imposing, yet Moore had a sharper wit to counter with. Also, a NicNac-Connery fight scene would have been beyond bizarre; it would have been embarassing and demasculating. Moore somehow makes it fun. Connery would have seemed horribly out of place in the whole environment in this film. On the plus side, I think Connery would have kicked more a** in that fight scene in the belly dancer's dressing room.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: TSWLM- we've seen Connery handle Russian women before- this entry would
    probably been closer to the Cold War awesomeness that FRWL was. Connery wouldn't
    have been an idiot in the van while Jaws was attacking (the one time I've ever
    wanted to slap sense into Roger Moore) - and we'd see him in his awesome Navy
    uniform- this time for some action!
    Well said, I think this would be more reminiscent of TB had Connery been it and probably an incredible film.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: MR- this is the only one I feel
    wouldn't have been any good. Moonraker is a DUMB movie- a fun dumb one granted,
    but let's be honest: it's silly. Moore is the reason this one works as a popcorn
    flick. I feel if we went from serious Connery in the early years to goofy
    Connery in MR, it would likely kill the series there.
    You know what? I think MR would be great with Connery! This is the Bond who's been in an ejector seat Aston Martin, a jet-pack, Little Nelly and a Moonbuggy for crying out loud! Seeing Connery in that Bondola with his trademark wink and smirk would have been classic. This would have basically been DAF Part 2 and I can't help but seeing this as anything but brilliant with Connery in the lead. Connery handles self-mockery better than Moore; Moore is just always campy and humorous by nature--in MR even Moore is flabergasted with how ridiculous the film is
    FYEO- Now this
    would have been pretty cool! Keeping with the aging theme, I don't see Connery
    sleeping with Mileena- his relationship with her would be more paternal (even
    more than Roger's) which is fine- we've had Bond movies where he doesn't sleep
    with the main girl (QOS).
    This would be good indeed--very FRWL in feel, but a few script adjustments would need to be made. Having Connery dispatch Blofeld in the beginning would be even more deflating than it already is. On the contrary, if we assume Connery was in OHMSS, the Tracy scene would have been more poignant. The Necros Connery fight would have been more ruthless as well. But Connery would totally shack up with Mileena--you are wrong there sir.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: OP- this is Octopussy without the existence of
    NSNA obviously, though it's helpful that we know exactly how Connery Bond would
    have looked in 1983! I feel like the clown business wouldn't have happened- and
    since Connery was with Bernard Lee the WHOLE time, it would make sense to throw
    a bit of tension in between Connery and Robert Brown
    I don't see Connery running through the jungle swinging from vines either...there would have been slightly less silliness, which would have worked in a Connery context. But OP has a great story, fine locations, a Cold War feel, and an assortment of memorable characters. This would have been a great swan song for Connery. Plus, hearing Connery say "Octopushy!" would have been priceless.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: AVTAK- Connery vs
    Walken- that sounds like a MONSTER MOVIE!! lol seriously, this one MUST address
    the age and possibly retirement for agent 007- with it being Connery's last
    film, they'd just have to pull all the stops; it would likely be a different
    movie entirely. Hell, maybe he'd even end up with MoneyPenny at the end!
    Hmmm...I think the film's story is pretty strong as it stands. But as is the case with Moore, it would still be a disappointing last stand for Connery as well. Stacy Sutton is too young for either actor playing Bond. End on an all time high with OP--retire gracefully on Octopussy's island. Let Dalton take the reigns in '85
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Quoting JBFan626: End on an all time high with OP--retire gracefully on Octopussy's island. Let Dalton take the reigns in '85
    Unimaginable, IMO. As I said in my 1st post here : By '85, or even '83, Connery would be too linked to the Bond role, no actor could take other. The audience would massively reject Dalton. When Connery left in '71, EON needed an actor other than Connery (Lazenby didn't work out well) that the people would strongly identify as Bond. Roger Moore was the right guy. If Dalton had succeeded Connery after a 22/24 years reign, Dalton would have been an even bigger underperformance than he was now. I love Dalton, but honestly, he is not the right guy to be the first actor other than Connery. The only way the franchise lasted this long is 1) Connery didn't last too long, and 2) Moore was the right actor, and only actor IMO, that could have been identified by the public as a legitimate James Bond after Connery. Love Dalton or not, you need an actor of the caliber of Moore to take over after Connery. The public was already hostile to Lazenby in '69, after only 7 years and 5 movies with Connery, imagine the hostility if Connery had lasted 3 times longer and made 2 times more films. IMO, Cubby's mindset during the making of DN was that Connery should last long enough to make his popularity and Bond's rise, but not too long so the public can accept someone else as him as Bond. Keep Connery too long - and he will become the only possible actor as Bond, and no-one will be able to take over. So I do believe Cubby knew in his mind that Connery had to be replace after 10 years or so.
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: Unimaginable, IMO. As I said in my 1st post here : By '85, or even '83, Connery
    would be too linked to the Bond role, no actor could take other. The audience
    would massively reject Dalton.
    Fair enough. Dalton or no Dalton however, the point is that given the chonology of films, had Connery continued on through Moore's era, finishing on OP would have been the proper closure.
    Quoting JBFan626: Connery continued on through Moore's era, finishing on OP would have been the proper closure.
    I agree with this- Connery on an island full of women seems perfect!
    Could we rename it to what if connery played bond until 83

because well

A. it is a bit confusing
    B. it is sort of a obituary title and you see why i got a bit of a shock
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 4,813
    But it says 'as James Bond'
    Quoting JBFan626: Fair enough. Dalton or no Dalton however, the point is that given the chonology of films, had Connery continued on through Moore's era, finishing on OP would have been the proper closure.
    I understand. ;-)

But my point is that if Connery had stayed until 1983, the franchise would have ended with him.
    I challenge (I mean beg) any good photoshop artists to make me some Bond movie posters with Sean Connery's likeness- like from that 007 art page
    Lot's of GREAT 'what if's' there:
    http://007art.free.fr/index.php/category/what-if/
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited April 2011 Posts: 987
    I'm glad Connery didn't continue with the official series after DAF, LALD and TMWTGG would still of been equally poor as the creative team at this point were still really writing for Connery's character and the desperate scraping of the barrel for any ounce of originality would of still produced the same dire results.
    TSWLM would of been written differently to suit Connery's acting style and would certainly of lost some of it's charm, same with MR, though that may of been no bad thing!
    FYEO would possibly of worked better with Connery, as the part was very much written for an experienced though ageing agent, and I'm sure his Bond would of done the decent thing and given Bibi Dahl the full works (though if this film was going to be recast, surely it's crying out to be a Lazenby gig!).
    OP with it's sensitive romance with Octopussy wouldn't of seemed credible for Connery's Bond and the juvenile humour would also of jarred much more with his take on the character.
    AVTAK would just of been a dreadful anti climax to the actor's 23 year reign and really highlighted the decline in quality since the 60's.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Interesting idea for a thread, Master_Dahark. Quite frankly, if Connery had stayed from 1962-1985, I think there would've been a lot more changes in OHMSS and LALD-AVTAK. For one thing, if he had stayed for OHMSS I wonder if it would've stayed with the faithful to Fleming's tragic ending approach. And if they had, DAF might've turned out differently which in turned would've effected LALD-AVTAK. Whether this would have been for better or for worse we can never know. Looking back in retrospect, I believe a lot of the lead actor changes contributed a large portion to the series not going stale. That stated, I believe there's something to the fan theory that Connery, Lazenby and Moore all played the same Bond character with the Dalton era being a reboot.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: That stated, I believe there's something to the fan theory that Connery,
    Lazenby and Moore all played the same Bond character with the Dalton era being a
    reboot.
    That's a theory I have trouble subscribing to. Lazenby plays Bond as being further along his career than Connery & Moore, with Dalton being even further along in his career (very possibly facing the end of it) than not only his 3 predecessors but also his 2 successors. That's how I look on it.

Connery staying on until 1985 is overkill, but on the upside, that means no Lazenby and.... (let me savour it) .... no Moore. =D>
    I agree we wouldn't have a series anymore. So, yeah, it's good he didn't continue. If they coulda knocked out a few more rapid fire like '62-'65, I would be cool with that. Like 7 films per actor works. Give everyone a nice, long run of around ten years. But stretching it out doesn't work for me.
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: Unimaginable, IMO. As I said in my 1st post here : By '85, or even '83, Connery would be too linked to the Bond role, no actor could take other. The audience would massively reject Dalton.
    I agree. However, I don't think we'd no longer have a series. There would have been a long hiatus, say 15 - 20 years. Then, once EON (or whoever had the rights to the series) acquired the rights to CR we would have got the reboot - Connery as Bond would be either a distant memory or completely unknown so a new actor wouldn't have to overcome a direct comparison.

This scenario would mean we wouldn't have had the Brosnan films, which some folks would see as a big plus. But if a new production company had the rights its likely they would take the easy route of simply re-making the series. Imagine what Hollywood would do with the first four films if they were to remake them today - Miley Cyrus as Honey Rider? Megan Fox as Domino? :-q
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Quoting Master_Dahark: And I feel like Knick Knack wouldn't have been so lucky as he was with Moore at the end of the film...
    Quoting JBFan626: Also, a NicNac-Connery fight scene would have been beyond bizarre; it would have been embarassing and demasculating. Moore somehow makes it fun. Connery would have seemed horribly out of place in the whole environment in this film.
    lol that's true- a weird scene no matter who did it. But specifically, when I said 'Knick Knack wouldn't be as lucky' I meant he would have been thrown overboard! I always hated that scene.... they totally imply that's what Bond did, so I was disappointed to see him hanging in that cage....
    ~X(

Based on your combined opinions, as well as my own, I feel like THIS could have worked:

Sean Connery in Live and Let Die:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp::6>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=348784<;7:325nu0mrj

but any further than that would not. Agree or disagree? ....and be kind to my photoshop skills, I'm an amateur ;-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Quoting JBFan626: Also, a NicNac-Connery fight scene would have been beyond bizarre; it would have
    been embarassing and demasculating
    Connery had already started down that avenue with a 'bizarre' fight scene in DAF - with bambi and thumper!
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    edited May 2011 Posts: 257
    Had Connery stayed on until 1985, the films very well might have been just as good as they ended up being.... but the 007 franchise would lose out big time on the variety that makes it such a great film franchise. 14 Sean Connery Bond films are not as interesting to me as 6 Connery, 1 Lazenby, and 7 Moore; I love the variety that the Bond films offer! Plus, Connery did not age as well as Moore did - Moore looks much more fit than Connery when it comes to OP vs NSNA.

Honestly, I think Connery should have called it quits after YOLT - his presence serves DAF little in the long run.
    True. It's so weird to think Connery is five years younger in DAF than Moore is in LALD. Moore looks ten years younger!
    Quoting The_Reaper: True. It's so weird to think Connery is five years younger in DAF than Moore is in LALD. Moore looks ten years younger!
    And then Connery looks much younger than Moore in 1983's battle !
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm not even certain the series would have lasted that long with Connery as Bond. Interest would have weavered at some point.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Hmmm... I WANT to say Sean still looked like a credible Bond in 1974, based on this pic:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/images/licence_to_shill_connery4.jpg
    but I'm suspicious that it's an old photo

It's from the MI6-HQ's article on Connery's advertisements.

Anyone have any pics of Sean from the 73-maybe 80's range?
    Quoting Jazz007: Connery did not age as well as Moore did - Moore looks much more fit than Connery when it comes to OP vs NSNA.
    I think Moore looked younger than Connery in the 70s, but by 1983 in NSNA, Connery looked much more fit than Moore did in OP.
    Quoting Master_Dahark: Hmmm... I WANT to say Sean still looked like a credible Bond in 1974, based on this pic:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/images/licence_to_shill_connery4.jpg

but I'm suspicious that it's an old photo
    Connery did the Jim Beam ads in the mid 60s. I actually have an old 1960s Playboy magazine with his Jim Beam ad.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Quoting jaguar007: I think Moore looked younger than Connery in the 70s, but by 1983 in NSNA,
    Connery looked much more fit than Moore did in OP.

I suppose "fittness" is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, Connery looks like a much older Bond in NSNA than Moore did in OP....

Connery....
    http://www.bondmovies.com/stills/nsna/8.jpg
    http://www.bondmovies.com/stills/nsna/32.jpg
    http://www.bondmovies.com/stills/nsna/44.jpg

Moore....
    http://screenmusings.org/Octopussy/pages/Oct_465.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/Octopussy/pages/Oct_194.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/Octopussy/pages/Oct_891.htm
    how can someone write something about such a greatness and such a great actor and THE BEST James Bond in history,what he made for the series is priceless
    @Master_DaharK: That's nice work. It tricked my eyes, though. I thought I was looking at the YOLT poster at first! Haha. Connery would have been very at home in LALD.
    Quoting Cipher: I agree. However, I don't think we'd no longer have a series. There would have
    been a long hiatus, say 15 - 20 years. Then, once EON (or whoever had the rights
    to the series) acquired the rights to CR we would have got the reboot
    Without question...which begs the question, would the series be better off for it had there been that extended gap in the series? Without the Brosnan, perhaps we would not have grown tired of the overly used formula. I'm referring to the re-occuring motifs like the M-briefing (complete with wood paneling, fireplace and red-door!), Moneypenny scene, Q scene, etc... Bond would have been a welcome return maybe, one can only wonder
    blockquote>Quoting Master_Dahark:

Nobody likes my photoshop? :(

;)

Not bad. Can you do one for Sean Connery in TSWLM, please?
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,813
    I'll try--- I just got lucky and found SC in the perfect pose for that last one
    edited May 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Thanks.

Here's one that DocLathropBrown photoshopped with Lazenby in TSWLM-

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5987/lazenbytswlm.jpg