4th place = 5 points Marvi Hamlisch
    5th place = 4 points David Arnold
    6th place = 3 points Bill Conti
    7th place = 2 points Michael Kamen
    8th place = 1 point Eric Serra
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No Monty Norman, why's that?

Indeed. I wanted to put him in my top 3.

1- John Barry - 10 points
    2- Burt Bacharach - 8 points
    3- George Martin - 7 points

4- Bill Conti - 5 points
    5- Marvin Hamlisch - 4 points
    6- Michael Kamen - 3 points
    7- Eric Serra - 2 points
    8- David Arnold - 1 point

9- Michel Legrand - 0 points
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 163
    1> John Barry = 10 points

2> france_flag.jpg Eric Serra = 8 points

3> england_flag.jpg George Martin = 7 points

4> england_flag.jpg David Arnold = 5 points
    5> usa_flag.jpg Marvin Hamlisch = 4 points
    6> france_flag.jpg Michel Legrand = 3 point
    7> usa_flag.jpg Burt Bacharach = 2 points
    8> usa_flag.jpg Bill Conti = 1 points

• edited February 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Samuel001 wrote:

But is Norman the composer of record for DN or is it Barry? I've never been sure.
    The credits do seem to suggest Norman.

1. John Barry (DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, TMWTGG, MR, OP, AVTAK, TLD)
    2. Burt Bacharach (CR '67)
    3. George Martin (LALD)
    4. Marvin Hamlisch (TSWLM)
    5. Bill Conti (FYEO)
    6. Michel Legrand (NSNA)
    7. Michael Kamen (LTK)
    8. David Arnold (TND, TWINE, DAD, CR, QOS)
    9. Eric Serra (GE)

It's kind of been diminishing returns with Bond soundtracks, Eric Serra's boring soundtrack (he was too snobby to even perform the Bond theme for a Bond movie!) allows David (snooze-fest) Arnold a break from being at the very bottom. Thank God David Arnold's been replaced in Skyfall. So much of the Bond appeal is the soundtracks, and they really have struggled since John Barry's departure (R.I.P.).
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,347
    John Barry (DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, TMWTGG, MR, OP, AVTAK, TLD) - 10 pts
    George Martin (LALD) - 8 pts
    David Arnold (TND, TWINE, DAD, CR, QOS) - 7 pts
    Bill Conti (FYEO) - 5 pts
    Marvin Hamlisch (TSWLM) 4 pts
    Michael Kamen (LTK) - 3 pts
    Eric Serra (GE) - 2 pts
    Michel Legrand (NSNA) - 1 pt
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    timmer wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

But is Norman the composer of record for DN or is it Barry? I've never been sure.
    The credits do seem to suggest Norman.

It's Norman.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    John Barry: 10
    David Arnold: 8
    George Martin: 7
    Marvin Hamlisch: 5
    Bill Conti: 4
    Michael Kamen: 3
    Burt Bacharach: 2
    Eric Serra: 1
    Michel Legrand: 0 (although definitely watch The Umbrellas of Cherbourg!)
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    John Barry = 10 points
    David Arnold = 8 points
    Bill Conti = 7 points
    George Martin = 5 points
    Eric Serra = 4 points
    Marvin Hamlisch = 3 points
    Michael Kamen = 2 points
    Burt Bacharach = 1 point
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Right, peeps, methinks we've had our fill on this one - here's the results...

<font size=3>Event 7: Composers ~ Results</font>

george_martin_silver-1.jpgjohn_barry_gold-1.jpgdavid_arnold_bronze-1.jpg

1. england_flag.jpg John Barry = 210 points [10 points]
    2. england_flag.jpg George Martin = 135 points [8 points]
    3. england_flag.jpg David Arnold = 116 points [7 points]
    4. usa_flag.jpg Marvin Hamlisch = 95 points [5 points]
    5. usa_flag.jpg Bill Conti = 85 points [4 points]
    6. usa_flag.jpg Burt Bacharach = 65 points [3 points]*
    7. france_flag.jpg <font color=white>.</font>Eric Serra = 65 points [2 points]
    8. usa_flag.jpg Michael Kamen = 51 points [1 point]
    9. france_flag.jpg <font color=white>.</font>Michel Legrand = 18 points
    * <font size =1>Awarded sixth place by securing more higher points-scoring finishes in individual voting</font>

Yes, it'll no doubt come to the surprise of, well, nobody that the undisputed master of Bond music, the late, the great John Barry has not only absolutely rightly walked away with the gold medal from this event, but won it by the largest margin of victory of any victor of an event in this tournament thus far. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he were still able to make that claim come the tournament's close. Either way, a fitting boast surely for one of the fundamental, most instrumental members of the 'Bond family'.

Taking the silver, in perhaps a surprise, is The 'Die's George Martin, who pulls off something of a second-place Beatles one-two in the music events of these 007 Olympics, what with Paul McCartney having finished second in the Song Performer event. And, thus, taking the bronze is the recently ubiquitous David Arnold - a more than controversial figure in these parts, it's only fair to say.

Elsewhere, the disco era (surprisingly?) does rather well, as Hamlisch's efforts for Spy and Conti's for FYEO secure them fourth and fifth place respectively, while Bacharach's luscious work for CR '67 gets him the nod for sixth (in the narrowest manner possible) ahead of Serra and his groovy job for GE, while Kamen trails in in eighth place thanks to his drab LTK score, but still finishes ahead of Legrand and his jazzy melodies for NSNA.

Oh, and as for Monty Norman taking part... well, the primary reason why I didn't include him among the contenders was that he didn't compose a Bond film score - all the others have and the title of the event is 'Composers', after all. The secondary reason I didn't is that even though he's forever credited as having written the Bond Theme, I believe he only really wrote half of it; the other half was written by Barry and it was him who completely arranged the version we know and love too, of course. ;)

<font size=3>Medal Table</font>
    After Event 7

<font color=white>______________________.</font><font color=Darkorange>G</font><font color=white>___</font><font color=DimGray>S</font><font color=white>__</font><font color=SaddleBrown>B</font><font color=white>_</font>4th 5th 6th 7th 8th Total
    1. <font color=white>-</font>england_flag.jpg England<font color=white>_______</font>3<font color=white>___</font>4<font color=white>__</font>3<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>2<font color=white>___</font>3<font color=white>__</font>3<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>107 pts
    2. <font color=white>-</font>usa_flag.jpg United States<font color=white>__.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>2<font color=white>__</font>2<font color=white>___</font>2<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>4<font color=white>_.</font>35 pts
    3. <font color=white>-</font>france_flag.jpg France<font color=white>_________.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>1<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>1<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>_.</font>20 pts
    4. <font color=white>-</font>wales_flag.jpg Wales<font color=white>_________.</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>2<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>19 pts
    5. <font color=white>-</font>italy_flag.jpg Italy<font color=white>___________.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>14 pts
    = <font color=white>-</font>scotland_flag.jpg Scotland<font color=white>______..</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>14 pts
    7. <font color=white>-</font>canada_flag.jpg Canada<font color=white>________.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>13 pts
    = <font color=white>-</font>denmark_flag.jpg <font color=white>-</font>Denmark<font color=white>_______.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>13 pts
    9. <font color=white>-</font>brazil_flag.jpg Brazil<font color=white>__________.</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>10 pts
    = <font color=white>-</font>germany_flag.jpg Germany<font color=white>______..</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>10 pts
    11. switzerland_flag.jpg<font color=white>-</font> Switzerland<font color=white>______</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>7 pts
    12. thailand_flag.jpg Thailand<font color=white>________</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>5 pts
    13. egypt_flag.jpg Egypt<font color=white>__________.</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>4 pts
    = <font color=white>_.</font>ireland_flag.jpg Ireland<font color=white>_________</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>4 pts
    15.<font color=white>.</font>australia_flag.jpg Australia<font color=white>_______</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>1<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__.</font>3 pts
    16. japan_flag.jpg <font color=white>.</font>Japan<font color=white>__________</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>___</font>0<font color=white>__</font>0<font color=white>__</font>1<font color=white>__.</font>1 pt

So, the United States may've boasted more entrants and more finishes in this week's event than England, but it's the Three Lions (or, if you prefer, Barry, Martin and Arnold) who roared into an unprecedented first, second and third places, ensuring their nation now has an even stronger grip on the top of medal table than before - yup, England's now broken the 100 points mark, peeps.

Even so, the Americans can be pleased the fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth finishes they claimed in this event has garnered them another 13 points and solidified their second place in the table, while the French will be waving the Tricolour with glee, as that single seventh place effort this week sees them jump one place in the table above the Welsh to, yes, third.

Event 8 coming right up, folks...! :)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Amazing (and ironic) that the US is in second yet its only medal is a bronze.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Yup, I've a strong feeling they'll win at least a gold and/ or a silver as time goes on, though. ;)

Anyhoo, here's the next one, chaps...

the_2012_james_bond_007_olympics-1-1-8.jpg

<i>The competitors:</i>

france_flag.jpg<font color=white>-</font>Carole Bouquet (Melina Havelock, FYEO)
    usa_flag.jpg Lynn-Holly Johnson (Bibi, FYEO)
    australia_flag.jpg Cassandra Harris (Lisl, FYEO)
    sweden_flag.jpg Maud Adams (Octopussy, OP)
    sweden_flag.jpg Kristina Wayborn (Magda, OP)
    sweden_flag.jpg Mary Stavin (Octopussy Girl, OP/ Kimberley Jones, AVTAK)
    usa_flag.jpg Kim Basinger (Domino, NSNA)
    nicaragua_flag.jpg Barbara Carrera (Fatima Blush, NSNA)
    usa_flag.jpg Tanya Roberts (Stacey Sutton, AVTAK)
    ireland_flag.jpg Alison Doody (Jenny Flex, AVTAK)
    england_flag.jpg Fiona Fullerton (Pola Ivanova, AVTAK)
    england_flag.jpg Maryam d'Abo (Kara Milovy, TLD)
    usa_flag.jpg Carey Lowell (Pam Bouvier, LTK)
    usa_flag.jpg Talisa Soto (Lupe Lamora, LTK)

So, the task is simple... please choose eight competitors from the fourteen above and arrange them into your favoured ordering - first to last (greatest to least) in terms of their <i>contribution to the cinematic James Bond</i>.

Voting for this event should remain open for <i>about a week</i>, after which the results and the updated Medal Table will be posted in this thread (as well as in the thread's opening post).

Oh, and just a reminder - when you do vote, please vote in this manner, chaps (as outlined in the thread's opening post); makes it a hell of a lot easier for me when I'm totting up the totals... ;)

1st place (<font color=DarkOrange>Gold</font>) = 10 points
    2nd place (<font color=Gray>Silver</font>) = 8 points
    3rd place (<font color=SaddleBrown>Bronze</font>) = 7 points
    4th place = 5 points
    5th place = 4 points
    6th place = 3 points
    7th place = 2 points
    8th place = 1 point

Over to you, folks - get voting...! :)

And here's mine...

1. france_flag.jpg<font color=white>-</font>Carole Bouquet (Melina Havelock, FYEO) = 10 points
    2. england_flag.jpg Maryam d'Abo (Kara Milovy, TLD) = 8 points
    3. nicaragua_flag.jpg Barbara Carrera (Fatima Blush, NSNA) = 7 points
    4. usa_flag.jpg Lynn-Holly Johnson (Bibi, FYEO) = 5 points
    5. sweden_flag.jpg Maud Adams (Octopussy, OP) = 4 points
    6. usa_flag.jpg Tanya Roberts (Stacey Sutton, AVTAK) = 3 points
    7. england_flag.jpg Fiona Fullerton (Pola Ivanova, AVTAK) = 2 points
    8. ireland_flag.jpg Alison Doody (Jenny Flex, AVTAK) = 1 point

• edited February 2012 Posts: 1,310
    1. Maryam d'Abo - 10 pts.
    2. Barbara Carrera - 8 pts.
    3. Maud Adams - 7 pts.
    4. Carole Bouquet - 5 pts.
    5. Fiona Fullerton - 4 pts.
    6. Cassandra Harris - 3 pts.
    7. Alison Doody - 2 pts.
    8. Carey Lowell - 1 pt.

It should be noted that I judge Bond girls primarily on my opinion of their performance...looks are nice (naturally) but not the most important factor in my judging. (Maybe that'll explain my list a little better! Haha)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Did Grace Jones get disqualified from the Olympics for failing the gender test?

Gold: Maud Adams (SWE) - 10
    Silver: Carole Bouquet (FRA) - 8
    Bronze: Carey Lowell (USA) - 7
    4. Allison Doody (IRE) - 5
    5. Maryam D'Abo (ENG) -4
    6. Kristina Wayborn (SWE) - 3
    7. Talisa Soto (USA) - 2
    8. Fiona Fullerton (ENG) - 1
    10--Carole Bouquet
    8 Carey Lowell
    7 Barbara Carerra
    5 Talisha Soto
    4 Kristina Wayborn
    3 Tanya Roberts
    2 Fiona Fullerton
    1 Maryam D'Abo
    Carole Bouquet - 10
    Maud Adams -8
    Maryam d'Abo - 7
    Carey Lowell - 5
    Fiona Fullerton - 4
    Kristina Wayborn - 3
    Talisa Soto - 2
    Cassandra Harris - 1

My favourite era of Bond girls.
    1st place (<font color=DarkOrange>Gold</font>) Tanya Roberts (AVTAK) = 10 points
    2nd place (<font color=Gray>Silver</font>) Talisa Soto (LTK) = 8 points
    3rd place (<font color=SaddleBrown>Bronze</font>) Maud Adams (OP) = 7 points
    4th place = Kristina Wayborn (OP) 5 points
    5th place = Carey Lowell (LTK) 4 points
    6th place = Mary Stavin (AVTAK) 3 points
    7th place = Alison Doody (AVTAK) 2 points
    8th place = Carole Bouquet (FYEO) 1 point
    It should be noted my choices are based entirely on looks, with bonus points for sass and sultry.

1st - Carole Bouquet - 10 points
    2nd - Maud Adams - 8 points
    3rd - Carey Lowell - 7 points

4 - Fiona Fullerton - 5 points
    5 - Kristina Wayborn - 4 points
    6 - Cassandra Harris - 3 points
    7 - Barbara Carrera - 2 points
    8 - Tanya Roberts - 1 point

1. Kristina Wayborn - 10
    2. Barbara Carrera - 8
    3. Alison Doody - 7
    4. Maud Adams - 5
    5. Maryam D'Abo - 4
    6. Fiona Fullerton - 3
    7. Carey Lowell - 2
    8. Carole Bouquet - 1
    St_George wrote:
    Yes, it'll no doubt come to the surprise of, well, nobody that the undisputed master of Bond music, the late, the great John Barry has not only absolutely rightly walked away with the gold medal from this event, but won it by the largest margin of victory of any victor of an event in this tournament thus far.
    He also won with perfect score; 21/21 first place votes.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Maryam d'Abo - 10pts
    2. Carey Lowell - 8 pts
    3. Carole Bouquet - 7 pts
    4. Talisa Soto - 5pts
    5. Kim Basinger - 4pts
    6. Maud Adams - 3pts
    7. Kristina Wayborn - 2pts
    8. Barbara Carrera - 1pt
    1. Maryam d'Abo (TLD) - 10
    2. Carole Bouquet (FYEO) - 8
    3. Carey Lowell (LTK) - 7

4. Tanya Roberts (AVTAK) - 5
    5. Maud Adams (OP) - 4
    6. Lynn-Holly Johnson (FYEO) - 3
    7. Talisa Soto (LTK) - 2
    8 Mary Stavin (OP/AVTAK) - 1
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    1. france_flag.jpg<font color=white>-</font>Carole Bouquet (Melina Havelock, FYEO) = 10 points
    2. england_flag.jpg Maryam d'Abo (Kara Milovy, TLD) = 8 points
    3. usa_flag.jpg Talisa Soto (Lupe Lamora, LTK) = 7 points
    4. usa_flag.jpg Tanya Roberts (Stacey Sutton, AVTAK) = 5 points
    5. nicaragua_flag.jpg Barbara Carrera (Fatima Blush, NSNA) = 4 points
    6. ireland_flag.jpg Alison Doody (Jenny Flex, AVTAK) = 3 point
    7. usa_flag.jpg Lynn-Holly Johnson (Bibi, FYEO) = 2 points
    8. sweden_flag.jpg Maud Adams (Octopussy, OP) = 1 point
    timmer wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    Yes, it'll no doubt come to the surprise of, well, nobody that the undisputed master of Bond music, the late, the great John Barry has not only absolutely rightly walked away with the gold medal from this event, but won it by the largest margin of victory of any victor of an event in this tournament thus far.
    He also won with perfect score; 21/21 first place votes.

Any other result would have been strange.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    St_George wrote:
    Oh, and as for Monty Norman taking part... well, the primary reason why I didn't include him among the contenders was that he didn't compose a Bond film score - all the others have and the title of the event is 'Composers', after all.

DN?

Anyhoo, I'm quite fond of the '80s ladies:

001) england_flag.jpg Maryam d'Abo (Kara Milovy, TLD)-10 points
    002) sweden_flag.jpg Kristina Wayborn (Magda, OP)-8 points
    003) ireland_flag.jpg Alison Doody (Jenny Flex, AVTAK)-7 points
    004) nicaragua_flag.jpg Barbara Carrera (Fatima Blush, NSNA)-5 points
    005) sweden_flag.jpg Maud Adams (Octopussy Smythe, OP)-4 points
    006) france_flag.jpg<font color=white>-</font>Carole Bouquet (Melina Havelock, FYEO)-3 points
    007) england_flag.jpg Fiona Fullerton (Pola Ivanova, AVTAK)-2 points
    008) usa_flag.jpg Kim Basinger (Domino Petachi, NSNA)-1 point
    DN?
    As Samuel pointed out, and its quite clear from the opening credits, Monty Norman is the composer of record for DN.
    Anyhoo. I'm not sure Norman's one credit would have trumped Barry's 11 credits and his generally regarded contribution to constructing the iconic James Bond theme - not enough to knock him off a perfect result. But considering how great the music is for DN, I think Norman might have got my silver vote,unless its thought that Barry actually composed the score and Norman somehow managed to get the credit. I don't know.

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Maud Adams = 10 points
    Carole Bouquet = 8 points
    Maryam D'Abo = 7 points
    Carey Powell = 5 points
    Kristina Wayborn = 4 points
    Barbara Carrera = 3 points
    Alison Doody = 2 points
    Tanya Roberts = 1 point

This discussion has been closed.