War Movies: Suggestions (Please!) & Coriolanus Reviews?

2»

Comments

Apocalypse Now, Patton, A Bridge Too Far, Enemy at the Gates.
    I got Waterloo in the mail today. Bought it from a Russian :-S

Never seen it, but it was suggested by @CraterGuns Checked out some vids on YouTube and it looks fantastic.

Anybody have a verdict?
    Surely the most exciting, acurate and stunningly acted war movie of them all is what you need, I give you - Escape to Victory.

I salute you sir for your exemplary taste. Has there ever been a better concept for a film than this?

I always find myself welling up as Pele launches into the air for his bicycle kick equaliser.

Indeed it is an emotional experience and Sly Stallone's keeping expertise make me well up for entirely different reasons!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BATTLEFIELD EARTH!!!!

B-)

Just kidding of course.
    * The Longest Day
    * Paths Of Glory
    * Saving Private Ryan
    * Von Ryan Express

The classics.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 624
    Some of my favorites:

Flying Tigers (1942)
    The Great Escape (1963)
    Zulu (1964)
    Battle of Britain (1969)
    Flyboys (2006)
    Inglourious Basterds (2009)
    Surely the most exciting, acurate and stunningly acted war movie of them all is what you need, I give you - Escape to Victory.

I salute you sir for your exemplary taste. Has there ever been a better concept for a film than this?

I always find myself welling up as Pele launches into the air for his bicycle kick equaliser.

Indeed it is an emotional experience and Sly Stallone's keeping expertise make me well up for entirely different reasons!

I saw this a year or 2 ago, great film. I need to watch it again.

Apocalypse now is also a really good war film.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Independence Day.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Dr strangelove.
    Matter of life and death.
    catch 22.
    Foreign correspondent for its final scene.
    Bat 21.

War related movie's i don't think were mentioned.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    The Thin Red Line, the best.

xxx
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    The Wild Geese possibly the greatest war film ever made, though Platoon, Where Eagles Dare, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, The Hurt Locker, The green Zone, Enemy At The Gates and Tears of the Sun are all very good.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Act of Valor

If you want a more 'real' war movie then this is the way to go. It was film with real US Navy SEALs, so the acting isn't the best but the action is really good.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Thin Red Line
    Full Metal Jacket
    Dirty Dozen
    The Great Escape
    Casualties of War
    Platoon
    Where Eagles Dare
    Force 10 from Navarone (with Harrison Ford and many actors from Bond movies. Including Bach, Kiel, Fox , Shaw..)
    The Wild Geese...with Moore no less...

...and many many more.,

edit: and, of course, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly which is a war movie too. Kinda. Set during the american civil war.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I almost forgot the Rambo films and two great Vietnam related films 'Uncommon Valour' and 'Southern Comfort'.
    I'd like to get your guys' opinions on Coriolanus (2011).

On IMDB it has under a 7 but on Rotten Tomatoes the average critic is 93%, but he audience is around 50%!

Is it a 'sit-down and focus' film or a 'popcorn' film.

Some reviews?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Coriolanus is very good film, wrongly advertized as an action film. Fiennes is excellent, so is Butler. imo it's a very good modern adaptation of Shakespeare. But not there's hardly any action in it. Probably 10 minutes of action at most (the movie is 2 hours long)