War Movies: Suggestions (Please!) & Coriolanus Reviews?

edited July 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
I'm dying for a good war movie.

What are some you'd suggest? Interested in both 'Blow em' up' and 'Make you think a bit' type war movies.

Some good ones I've seen lately:

The Green Zone 7/10
A good watch, plenty of suitable action, with some brains (though the plot is based on true fact, it bends them a bit).

Body of Lies 9/10
A good plot, great acting, fun 'no shit' type humor, plenty of pretty action scenes to follow the meat of a plot. Great action movie based around a war, not quite the war movie I'm hungry for.

Behind Enemy Lines 9.6/10
One of my all time favorite films, and war films. Apart from the first two, this is a true war movie in that it needs the war in the plot to have a plot. Its so good, and a very high re-watch value.

But I'm looking for more war movies that get the bigger picture. The ones above revolve around a main character, and I'm in the mood for a larger scale epic. Something like Flags of Our Fathers or Letters From Iwa Jima, or Saving Private Ryan, or something like that.

Also, definitely looking for some foreign war flicks. They're are plenty of wars I've never even heard of as an American. I looks up Battle of Algiers but I don't have access to it.

Give me your best!

Comments

Guns of Navarone, force 10 from Navarone, Where Eagles dare, The Eagle has Landed, D-Day to name a few classics.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Saving Private Ryan. Band of Brothers (I know it's a miniseries, but it's a damn good miniseries). We Were Soldiers (and watch the deleted scenes, too, they make it better).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Band Of Brothers (10 part miniseries)

Saving Private Ryan

Enemy At The Gates

Platoon

The Thin Red Line

We Were Soldiers

Black Hawk Down

Full Metal Jacket

Apocalypse Now (not your typical war movie - but still a must see)

Gettysburg (its another miniseries, but also a damn good one)

Paths Of Glory

just to name a few lol..
    The Green Berets starring John Wayne. Old film but well made and very watchable!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    A bridge too far is a great one and quite underrated. Just look at this for a cast;
    Dirk Bogarde
    James Caan
    Michael Caine
    Sean Connery
    Edward Fox
    Anthony Hopkins
    Gene Hackman
    Hardy Krüger
    Laurence Olivier
    Robert Redford
    Maximilian Schell

Brilliant stuff!
    I second a Bridge Too Far. Here are a few more:

Where Eagles Dare (Lovely Ingrid Pitt)
    The Eagle has Landed
    The Dirty Dozen (the book is awful)
    The Bridge at Remagen (pardon the spelling, Robert Vaughan in a great leather coat)
    Kelly's Heroes (basically put a 1960's hippy, bank heist film into World War Two)
    The Desert Fox (James Mason as Rommel)
    The Enemy Within (I like this British Black and White one)

Surely the most exciting, acurate and stunningly acted war movie of them all is what you need, I give you - Escape to Victory.
  • saving private ryan
  • Bridge on the River Kwai
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Hurt Locker
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    For a talk heavy piece try Patton. George C Scott is just sublime in this.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    People'll complain. Pearl Harbor. The battle scenes are epic.
    For a talk heavy piece try Patton. George C Scott is just sublime in this.

AH! Found it! Thank you, I'd forgotten about that one. I love that movie soooooo much.

And thank you for the rest of your suggestions. MANY I have never scene, so I'll enjoy the catch up period.
    People'll complain. Pearl Harbor. The battle scenes are epic.

True, true. For films of Michael Bay, I often fast forward to the actiony bits and still I'm just as satisfied as any with any other movie.
  • Saving private ryan and tear of the sun
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the classic war movie, "The Great Escape" yet. :-O
    Saving Private Ryan would surely be a must
    Kellys Heroes
    Von Ryans Express
    A Bridge To Far
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Longest Day
    The Desert Rats
    The Battle Of Britain
    The Dam Busters
    Memphis Belle
    The Bridge On The River Kwai
    Countless others.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    For films of Michael Bay, I often fast forward to the actiony bits and still I'm just as satisfied as any with any other movie.

I often do this with movies the Bad Boys movies, but The Rock, Armageddon, The Island and the Transformers movies I don't (b*tch all you want, people, Transformers colored my childhood, and I enjoy almost everything about it besides Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Transformers: Animated).
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    1. The Bridge on the River Kwai
    2. The Dirty Dozen
    3.Platoon
    4. We were Soldiers
    5. All quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    6. The Caine Mutiny
    I like a war movie that has good characters and at the same time wants to show that it's not all fun and games.
  • CROSS OF IRON (1977)
    THE BLUE MAX (1966)
    WATERLOO (1970)
    PLAY DIRTY (1968)
    ZEPPELIN (1971)
    HELL IS FOR HEROES (1962)
    DOWNFALL (2004)
    LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)
    OPERATION CROSSBOW (1965)
    THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN (1969)
    PATTON (1970)
    MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (2003)
    A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977)
    COMMANDOS (1968)
    STALINGRAD (1993)
    TALVISOTA (1989)
    TOBRUK (1967)
    NAPOLEON (2002 miniseries)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OK, really go back a bit in time:
    all the Sharpe films (BBC) :) and ...
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Casablanca
    Flying Leathernecks
    M*A*S*H
    and I would include plenty listed above, especially Patton
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,169
    The Wild Geese w/ Roger Moore
    Lion of the desert
    Battle of the Bulge
    M*A*S*H

How did I forget that one?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 303
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler's list
    The Great Escape
    Enemy at the Gates
    The Hurt Locker
    Operation Crosbow (Although, if you live in the UK, as i do, you won't find it on DVD, nor Blu-Ray, as it does not exist.)
    Platoon
    Band of Brothers (TV Series. Though, for me, the greatest TV series of all time!)
    The Pacific (Similar concept to Boand of Brothers)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler's list
    The Great Escape
    Enemy at the Gates
    The Hurt Locker
    Platoon
    Band of Brothers (TV Series. Though, for me, the greatest TV series of all time!)
    The Pacific (Similar concept to Band of Brothers)

So, is The Pacific as good as Band of Brothers?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 303
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler's list
    The Great Escape
    Enemy at the Gates
    The Hurt Locker
    Platoon
    The Pacific (Similar concept to Band of Brothers)

So, is The Pacific as good as Band of Brothers?

I would say that Band of Brothers was superior, in a few ways, though if you enjoy BoB (As i'm sure you would), i would recommend The Pacific, as it is also a masterpiece in Television, just not as good as BoB.
    Oh, believe me, any war TV series I see will always be put up against Band of Brothers. That was ten episodes of true quality TV.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Watching Battle Los Angeles right now, and man this movie rocks.

Its not so much centered on story, but on the 'beauty' of war. Plus its a genre-blender, which are usually pretty good.

Aaron Eckhart is the main actor, and he said he had so much fun doing the movie he wants a sequel set in Paris, France. I'm down!

PS! My 1000th post! And I missed it :/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Miracle at St. Anna

Watching Patton this weekend. Brilliant film. The man was rough, didn't fit in to modern times, but was a military genius!

Beat Rommel! (Well, Rommel's plans, at least).
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,821
    For a good fun, I second Kelly's Heroes. Second place in that category goes to What Did You Do In the War, Daddy? In France, La Grande Vadrouille.

For more serious war movies, "Le Bataillon du Ciel" (about the french paratroopers who jumped over France on D-Day), and of course "La Grande Illusion". For Indochina, you have "La 317° Section" and "Dien Bien Phu". Algeria: "The Battle of Algiers" (even Aussaresse liked this one), "L'Ennemi Intime", "L'Honneur d'un Capitaine".
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Surely the most exciting, acurate and stunningly acted war movie of them all is what you need, I give you - Escape to Victory.

I salute you sir for your exemplary taste. Has there ever been a better concept for a film than this?

I always find myself welling up as Pele launches into the air for his bicycle kick equaliser.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    My top favorite war movies are:

The Hurt Locker
    Tears of the Sun
    Black Hawk Down
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Longest Day (complete with Connery cameo)