POLL: Will you try to avoid SF spoilers?

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 23,551
It's going to be a long wait till October / November next year. In the meantime though, plenty of stuff about SF will be posted all over the Internet, and not in the very least right here on your beloved website and its wonderful forum. We're quite curious as to <b>how hard you will try to avoid spoilers</b>. Please have a look at the poll to your right.

Comments

• edited November 2011 Posts: 1,894
    I will be trying my absolute darndest to avoid spoilers. I was very upset when the ending to QUANTUM OF SOLACE was spoiled at the press junket in Chile - there appeared to be some kind of gentlemen's agreement between journalists not to publish details of the ending, but then that guy from AOL decided to print them anyway.

I've noticed that the ploy synopsis for SKYFALL is very limited - just two lines - in comparison to other synopses, like the one for QUANTUM OF SOLACE. There's obviously a lot that EON don't want us to know just yet, so I'm happy to keep it that way.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I don't mind spoilers except those regarding the detailed version of the plot. I'll try to avoid that at all costs. What we've heard so far about the plot is all I care to know until the film hits the screen.
  • It's going to be a long wait till October / November next year. In the meantime though, plenty of stuff about SF will be posted all over the Internet, and not in the very least right here on your beloved website and its wonderful forum. We're quite curious as to how hard you will try to avoid spoilers. Please have a look at the poll to your right.
    Nope. Because the funny thing is. Even if all the spoilers are known for me, I still get excited by actually seeing a new film. And after all these spoilers, the actual film still is sooo completely different and new for me.

So even the biggest spoiler-nerds need to wait and see the actual fully edited movie. The only people who really see the entire movie before the premiere are the producers, the editor and David Arnold.....and the rest of the production team.

I...I actually feel a bit pity for them :P.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I remember that for either CR or QoS, a script treatment leaked on the Internet. I suppose that's where I draw the line. I don't mind information, hence my 'not at all' vote, but I won't start reading leaked scripts before the film's release.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    For QoS I did everything I could to avoid spoilers. The only thing I allowed myself to watch was the trailers. I went into the film totally fresh, not even knowing what the song was going to sound like (I jammed my fingers in my ears when the Coke Zero adverts featuring it appeared in the cinema or on television).

Having now seen the film, I really don't think it was worth it. Perhaps if the film itself had been better I'd have felt differently, but when I think back to seeing CR for the first time, and basically knowing how that would pan out, I think what I actually ended up missing was the anticipation leading up to the film.

There have been a few films in recent years that I have been really looking forward to, but have ended up as major disappointments. However, I am of the opinion that those months discussing theories, picking apart set photos and getting really excited when a major character is revealed is so much part of the experience it can often be more fun than watching a couple of hours of unspoiled cinema. A recent study showed that spoilers don't tend to spoil the enjoyment of a story either, so for Skyfall I shall be experimenting with reading every little bit of info I can get my hands on.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Dimi, I think it was CR's script that leaked... That's where I draw the line too.

And I intend to feed myself with all the possible bits of information about SF in the coming 12 months !!
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I remember that for either CR or QoS, a script treatment leaked on the Internet. I suppose that's where I draw the line. I don't mind information, hence my 'not at all' vote, but I won't start reading leaked scripts before the film's release.
    I'd concur with that. Information allows you to use your imagination, but a whole script is the film on the page, so why bother seeing it?
    Yeah, it could have been CR. I seem to remember, now that you mention it, arguing against reading the script when we know half the story already from the Fleming novel. That was one of the "luxuries" in 2005 and 2006, knowing that at least some bits would be taken from the novel. With SF probably being completely original, it's open season on any word of the plot / script.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes, I have no intention of reading SF's script if it leaks... As it seems to be a completly original story, no need to spoil everything... But yes, all the little information that we will hear of, the trailers, the production diaries and videos... All that I will love reading !!

My main source of spoilers on QOS was Gemma Arterton... she spilled the beans on a daily basis... I don't think she will get another role in a Bond film...
  • it depends what the spoilers are, I don't mind small spoilers that just make me more excited. but if its a huge spoiler, say blofeld returns (which he might), i dont want that spoiled.
    POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!

BOND DOESN'T DIE !!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Not me, I won't. I'll take anything I can right now, to tide me over until this time next year.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 3,169
    Don't like spoilers, don't even usually watch trailers (they spoil too much nowadays, IMO). But in the case of James Bond I just cant help it. Too much of a fan to not know exactly what goes on from pre- to postproduction fase. I'll even read a synopsis so I know the basic story, but I'll stay away from any (leaked) scripts!
  • I'll try to avoid them. I watched all the updates and pics in the lead up to QOS and that affected watching the film.

I'm not sure why I'm even on here... :-S
    ;-)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2011 Posts: 2,629
    I came on a few months after QOS was released, so this will be a new experience for me. Other than plot synopsis and official press releases, I'll do my best to avoid spoilers.
    I don't mind reading into spoilers, but seeing as I don't get the film until after you Brits, I definitely will avoid watching some handicam torrent videos.

Don't mind reading, but I definitely don't want to see.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Small thing here and there are okay, but I usually try to avoid them when I can. Although I have seen some pics of their first day of shooting and saw a guy, in makeup, who has his face ripped up. Guess Bond does some serious damage in this movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I will try to stay away from spoilers but I am sure various future threads posted akin to names like "BIG BOND BLOCKBUSTER: AMAZING ACTION SCENES PLANNED", "RALPH FIENNES REVEALS HIS ROLE IN SKYFALL", "MENDES SAID NO, BUT IS QUANTUM REALLY PRESENT", will all equally draw me in and I will curl into a ball and comply, listening intently to the new news compacted.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I will try to avoid as much as possible because I like to watch the film fresh, but sometimes that is difficult to do.
    I will try to stay away from spoilers but I am sure various future threads posted akin to names like "BIG BOND BLOCKBUSTER: AMAZING ACTION SCENES PLANNED", "RALPH FIENNES REVEALS HIS ROLE IN SKYFALL", "MENDES SAID NO, BUT IS QUANTUM REALLY PRESENT", will all equally draw me in and I will curl into a ball and comply, listening intently to the new news compacted.
    That's the problem. I believe some of the thread titles contain spoilers and it's really frustrating cause I can't come to the site without being spoiled even though I don't read those particular threads.
    We do try to keep a close eye on it but since this is an open forum, we cannot guarantee immediate action when someone's been clumsy enough to post spoilers. Let's just hope that everyone understands the practice of alerting other members to the presence of spoilers.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I try to steer clear of plot spoilers and speculations, but I LOVE pictures from the set.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I try to steer clear of plot spoilers and speculations, but I LOVE pictures from the set.
    Me too, just can't get enough. I hate big spoilers, though.

By the way, check today's IMDB daily poll, it's about Skyfall!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @Sandy

Nice Find!

IMDB Daily Poll:

More about Skyfall: are you more looking forward to Daniel Craig playing the good guy or Javier Bardem playing a Bond villain?

(A rather bizarre question if you ask me!)

">IMDB Daily Poll
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 5,745
    @Sandy

Nice Find!

IMDB Daily Poll:

More about Skyfall: are you more looking forward to Daniel Craig playing the good guy or Javier Bardem playing a Bond villain?

(A rather bizarre question if you ask me!)

">IMDB Daily Poll
    Uh, JAVIER. DUH.
  • I felt I had to divorce myself from all the Bond 23 hype for a few days, it must have been mayhem here for a while

I guess any other Bond related stuff other than Skyfall was made redundant for the last few days, and will appear sporadic for some time to come

Not really an issue though, but that's how I feel about it, I can appreciate all the eagerness that the new film has warranted but it must have been suffocating under a landslide of Bond XXIII, there would of been nothing else to talk about and I do like a variety of Bond trivia and subjects

enough rambling

Will I avoid spoilers, yes If I can, I like to go into my 007 adventures blind more often than not, don't want to be sitting in theaters and knowing the A-Z of what's going to happen before my eyes, I will endeavor to keep a distance from any real spoilers but I feel it could be hard sometimes, I feel I will know so much about what to expect from various sources when the time arrives that at least I may save some money on theater tickets and won't even need to go and see
    no spoilers, Boo...
    I read the book for "The World is Not Enough" before I went to the movies, it's bothered me so much. I wish I could have taken it back! haha...
    I'll watch the trailers and and might take a glance at a few pictures but won't be going looking for spoilers, I've ruined doctor who by doing that and I've learned my lesson now :D
    I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible...

I'm concerned with even visiting the Community for fear of reading a discussion topic with a spoiler in the discussion title!

The only other information I think I care to know from here on out is:

Who is composing?
    Is Daniel Kleinman Returning for title sequence?
    Who is singing the theme song?
    And I'd like to see the trailers.

That's about it. I don't want to know any additional plot details.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I'll try to avoid as much as I can - even though I'm a mod on here. Hmmm...

;)
  • I came on a few months after QOS was released, so this will be a new experience for me. Other than plot synopsis and official press releases, I'll do my best to avoid spoilers.
    Me too as far as coming aboard a few months after the QOS release. I've always loved to know a little bit about each film in advance but I think about films the same way I do about books..I don't want to know the ending. Show me some trailers to whet my appetite and no more. That's why I'll disappear from this Forum before the movie is released, I saw the spoilers people posted and it would have ruined the film for me if I'd read them. After 40+ years, I believe I have excellent judgment in all things Bondian and wish to form my own opinions.