Are there any women here on MI6?

Comments

• yes but hopefully you will be around and perhaps bring more female james bond fans as well have fun :-D
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Craig as Bond in a dress, promoting a feminist propaganda piece.... No doubt getting even for all the sexual objectification of women in previous films. You go girl!

Not to beat a dead horse here but I did find a 1972 review of Diamonds Are Forever in TIME magazine interesting.

Quote: "...two bikinied bodyguards who call themselves Bambi and Thumper. They strike a gymnastic blow for Women's Lib by effortlessly bouncing Bond, the sexist pig, off the four walls of a luxurious desert hideaway."

Whether or not a feminist agenda was intended here (perhaps it was Dana Broccoli nagging her husband, or more likely the producers were throwing a bone to the progressive movements of the time to try to keep the series relevant), changing the politics of the James Bond films is nothing new and I personally am not outraged by this supposed political agenda (supposed being the key word here). Goodhead (despite her name), was intended as more of a progressive woman of the times with brains and who kept her clothes on. There was also the contemporary PC subtext in the Dalton films during the AIDS epidemic, with Bond keeping his pants on. And of course Dench's "relic of the cold war speech". The fact that in CR there is only one woman in a bikini and Bond arises out of the water as a sex symbol shouldn't be some earth-shattering heresy to the series...that's all I'm saying.

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited September 2011 Posts: 543
    I take the women here are quite outnumbered?
    Pretty much.
  • I'm a girly girl who loves Bond, guns, action movies, etc. My mom sometimes wonders if I should have been born a boy but I love the color pink too much. ;;)

• I'm a girly girl who loves Bond, guns, action movies, etc. My mom sometimes wonders if I should have been born a boy but I love the color pink too much. ;;)

Did you know only about 80 to a 100 years ago - pink was given to new born baby boys in England and blue to baby girls. How weird, I wonder how it became the other way?

Did you know only about 80 to a 100 years ago - pink was given to new born baby boys in England and blue to baby girls. How weird, I wonder how it became the other way?
    I never knew that. Very interesting! :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm a girly girl who loves Bond, guns, action movies, etc. My mom sometimes wonders if I should have been born a boy but I love the color pink too much. ;;)

I never thought I'd see my thread come back to the top discussions on MI6, but I am very glad to see its return and I am equally glad to welcome you @CodeNameViva to MI6. Enjoy your time here. ;-)

I never knew that. Very interesting! :)

Not really as I came across as nerdy nerd geek. Where are my manners? Welcome to Mi6.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Welcome to the forums, @CodeNameViva. Would be great if you hung around; it's always nice and healthy when the female perspective is represented in these parts... :)
  • I never thought I'd see my thread come back to the top discussions on MI6, but I am very glad to see its return and I am equally glad to welcome you @CodeNameViva to MI6. Enjoy your time here. ;-)
    Thank you 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 :-D
  • Not really as I came across as nerdy nerd geek. Where are my manners? Welcome to Mi6.
    Thank you forgotmyusername. Nerdy nerd geeks are FUN! \:D/
    Hello CodeNameViva and welcome!
  • Welcome to the forums, @CodeNameViva. Would be great if you hung around; it's always nice and healthy when the female perspective is represented in these parts... :)
    Thank you St_George. I will do. :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Welcome to the forums, @CodeNameViva. Would be great if you hung around; it's always nice and healthy when the female perspective is represented in these parts... :)
    Thank you St_George. I will do. :)
    Welcome @CodeNameViva
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Not really as I came across as nerdy nerd geek. Where are my manners? Welcome to Mi6.
    Thank you forgotmyusername. Nerdy nerd geeks are FUN! \:D/
    I've seldom seen someone here come in and make herself so popular so quickly ;)

anyway, welcome @CodeNameViva.

And don't you worry about what you love, recent scientific work has shown that all preferences thought to be typically girls/boys are society-indoctrination. It's what society expects them to like. I.e. how many girls you know got a model train for their birthday, and how many boys?

So, all in all, all women here MUST be free spirits ;-)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm a girly girl who loves Bond, guns, action movies, etc. My mom sometimes wonders if I should have been born a boy but I love the color pink too much. ;;)
    Welcome #CodeNameViva. I'm also a very girly girl and by looking at me no one would imagine my taste when it comes to films 8-> But then again, my own mother is a great Bond fan!
    #forgotmyusername, that was a general habit in Europe I believe. The reason is pink derives from red, the colour of blood, so it was considered the colour of strenght for boys. Blue, on the other hand, was connotated with the clothes of the Virgin Mary, and therefore a softer colour for girls.
  • Thank you for the warm welcomes 0013, NicNac, CammanderRoss and Sandy!! :)
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    It's indeed nice to see a few more female members around :) Welcome aboard!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Welcome to the forums, @CodeNameViva. :) You will find that we are all lost boys in great need of female guidance.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Welcome to the forums, @CodeNameViva. :) You will find that we are all lost boys in great need of female guidance.

Guidance? How so?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's face it, @forgotmyusername, we're only boys with toys here. We need a woman who tells us to "stop it". :)
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 35
    Thanks DiscoVolante and DarthDimi for the the welcome. :)
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Let's face it, @forgotmyusername, we're only boys with toys here. We need a woman who tells us to "stop it". :)

I won't be telling you to "stop it" because I'm not your momma and I'm too busy playing with the toys, too. :D
  • Boys, toys and girls saying stop it.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    Not being rude here, but in all honesty, what was the point of that video??
  • ^

Boys, toys and girls taking charge as in the implied conversation above the video.

You could view it as evidence that "crudity is at the heart of the child-man persona," an increasingly ubiquitous personality type among men age 20–40 who don't grow up because they don't have to. Weaving together the socioeconomic and cultural paradigm shifts of the last half-century, the appearance of "a new stage of life" in developed societies—pre-adulthood—where the traditional life-script: grow up, marry, have children, and die, is now: "What do I want to do with my life?" But in a world where social demands no longer equate manhood with maturity, frat dudes, nerds, geeks, and emo-boys can remain in suspended postadolescence, while women, whose biological clocks are ticking, are forced to choose between single parenthood and casting their lot with a "child-man." It's a provocative argument that advances with considerable spirit, but she conflates character with maturity, and her blaming feminism for the infantilization of men wrests more power and control away from men, suggesting that they can't develop a sense of responsibility without a woman's help.
    ^

Boys, toys and girls taking charge as in the implied conversation above the video.

You could view it as evidence that "crudity is at the heart of the child-man persona," an increasingly ubiquitous personality type among men age 20–40 who don't grow up because they don't have to. Weaving together the socioeconomic and cultural paradigm shifts of the last half-century, the appearance of "a new stage of life" in developed societies—pre-adulthood—where the traditional life-script: grow up, marry, have children, and die, is now: "What do I want to do with my life?" But in a world where social demands no longer equate manhood with maturity, frat dudes, nerds, geeks, and emo-boys can remain in suspended postadolescence, while women, whose biological clocks are ticking, are forced to choose between single parenthood and casting their lot with a "child-man." It's a provocative argument that advances with considerable spirit, but she conflates character with maturity, and her blaming feminism for the infantilization of men wrests more power and control away from men, suggesting that they can't develop a sense of responsibility without a woman's help.

The video I got from the link was a Tekken video game cinematic. ??
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I apologize to the MI6 women for the discussion in the 'Where have all the beautiful Bond girls gone ?' thread.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2011 Posts: 12,459
    I'm very much a Bond fan and a woman - I've just too swamped at work these past couple of weeks to post. Keep the chatter going; I'll check in when I can.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    ^

Ah, see. I missed that due to the lack of subtitles.

In response to your statement though: if men fail to grow up, blame the parents. If girls fail to grow up: blame the parents. And if either fails to appreciate Bond, well, you know the drill. ;)