Connery vs brosnan , share your story ?

do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 106
Dr No vs Golden-Eye
FRWL vs Tomorow Never Dies
Golfdinger vs The world is not enough
Thunderball vs Die Another day

4 best ones from them both . right ?? who wins here (it is close to check ,)

Me ? Brosnan sqeaks for a win by , Connery (but I still like bond) \:D/

Comments

Well i prefer GE over DN....FRWL over TND... TWINE over GF....TB over DAD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TB

I might have saved me the trouble. Naturally Connery wins.
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    You Only live Twice vs Nightfire
    DAF vs , Everything or Nothing

brosnan Wins \m/
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Connery easily, 4-0.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TWINE over GF.
    barryt you must me joking... @-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ehh...Connery is amazing. He started Bond and made it what it is today. But I'm such a die-hard Brosnan fan in anything. I would defend that man to the death. What a choice...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    4-0 to Connery of course.
    4 nil to Connery in my book.

A minnow versus a whale. I am tryig to think what in the Brosnan era worked for me and I can only come up with Dr Kaufman.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    4 nil to Connery in my book.

A minnow versus a whale. I am tryig to think what in the Brosnan era worked for me and I can only come up with Dr Kaufman.
    GoldenEye gave some promise but it really feels like a Dalton leftover. That's all it has going for it, it is just wasted potential. I'm much happier where we are now.
    Same here. With GE at the time I was relieved it wasnt an embarassment after six years in the wilderness and a new production team. But watching now it does seem like a 007 checklist ie Aston Martin, smutty innuendo, destructive chase, villain falling from great height.

What we have now has much more meat on the bone.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Dr No vs GoldenEye
    From Russia With Love vs Tomorow Never Dies
    Golfdinger vs The World Is Not Enough
    Thunderball vs Die Another Day
    Dr No >>> GoldenEye
    From Russia With Love >>>Tomorow Never Dies
    Golfdinger >>> The World Is Not Enough
    Thunderball >>> Die Another Day

And I ain't no Brosnan basher.
  • I take GE, FRWL, TWINE, TB. So I guess that would be a 2-2 tie.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Connery wins by a clean sheet. End of story. Close thread.
    GE>>>DN
    FRWL>>>TND
    GF>>>TWINE
    TB>>>DAD

Im a big Brosnan fan but Connery wins here 3-1. Id argue though that characters like Xenya Onatopp, Natalya, Alec Trevelyan, Valentin, General Oromov, Dr Kaulfman, Elliot Carver and even Electra King rival some of the Connery era.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sorry, Pierce, Connery fanboy. You know the score.
  • GE > DN (Although i love Dr No, GoldenEye clearly wins it for me)
    FRWL > TND (FRWL remains great after almost 50 years, while i can't see the same happening with TND)
    GF > TWINE (I'm a fan of both, but GF has a spot in my heart)
    TB > DAD (well, it pretty much says it for itself)
  • 4-0 for Connery naturally. Wouldn't it have made for sense to have a Connery vs. Moore board?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    4-0 for Mr. Connery. Brozzer's films can't compare.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll give it a shot.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TB

I might have saved me the trouble. Naturally Connery wins.
    Ditto. A complete slamdunk for Connery without one hesistation.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Dr No vs GE = DN
    FRWL vs TND = TND (though I don't have a problem with FRWL)
    GF vs TWINE = GF (though I still believe GF is overpraised)
    TB vs DAD = TB
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TND better than FRWL???

A very interesting perspective.
    DN vs. GE= GE
    FRWL vs. TND= tough call; most likely, I'd pick FRWL
    GF vs. TWINE= TWINE
    TB vs. DAD= TB

Connery: 2
    Brosnan: 2
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN>>GE
    FRWL>>TND
    GF>>TWINE
    TB>>DAD

4-0 Connery
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,622
    4-0. Problem with Brosnan is he can't play Bond in a tux or an expensive suit. He tries too hard. His performance is not relaxed. He never found the character. He's awkward and he sighs too much. He comes across as a guy trying to play Bond. His dialogue often seems self conscious. Someone once said that Broz looked more like a waiter in a tux than 007.
    Brosnan is ok once you get him out of a suit or tux and outfit him in field gear. Then he's quite handy running around with his machine gun or driving a tank, flying planes, riding a motorbike. He does real good action work in the TND finale aboard the stealth boat. He excelled in the DAD pts, the ice palace battles.His close quarter fight scenes are quite good on the TND stealth boat boat as well. He does look like Bond in action in many of these prolonged action scenes.
    But get him away from the action and his field fatigues and he falls flat.
    Where Connery had a self assurance and played Bond with an easy yet menacing swagger, Brozzer seems out of his element.
    Even when Dench M was hectoring him with her initial feminist rant in GE, Brozzer didn't seem to know how to react as Bond. Sean would have found his trademark bemused smug look, weathered the storm and sauntered out of the office ready for business as usual. Brozzer attempted this attitude but he couldn't pull it off with the same panache.

I give Brozzer full credit for embracing the character and trying his best to be Bond. IMO though, he wasn't quite up to the task, but his enthusiasm does carry him to some extent and helps make his films at least watchable as good escapist Bondian action adventure even if the more convincing Bond persona seems lost in the mix.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My first Bond film was GF, so I was naturally inclined to love Connery from that moment on. After that came all the rest of his good Bonds(DN,FRWL,TB). His Bond was cold, suave and ruthless. Connery isn't widely considered the best because he was first, he was just that good. By being the first of the film Bonds he set the bar so far Lazenby,Moore,Dalton and Brosnan all ran for ladders and saw who could get closest to the top, only to have Craig at the bottom shaking the ladders to and fro, completely accepting the fact that Connery can't be topped and tries to be his own Bond with bits and pieces of Coonery's Bond model sprinkled in his interpretation. Brosnan is great as an actor, but GE is his only Bond film that I genuinely like. The sad thing? It isn't his fault. With countless films, the script fails the actors and Brosnan was thrown the same ball. A ball he ran around trying to catch for five years after GE. So, just looking at his Bond as a whole, I respect his take on him, and the movies are the ones I saw when I was little but never took in(That is why I consider GF my first). At that small age I never would have thought that I would love the movies so much. Now reading the novels, I'm getting more enriched. One thing is clear: whether Connery or Brosnan, Bond is forever.