What are you reading?

1565759616274

Comments

  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Posts: 1,874
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Forever And A Day by Anthony Horowitz. This brings to an end my Bondathon reread.
    What next?

    One of Sir Roger's books ?

    Probably not. Trying not to buy any more books at the moment (though I know there will be at least three I will HAVE to get this year), so am trying to find stuff that I already have. There is a TBR pile, plus my Tom Sharpe’s are probably do for a reread, and I got about half-way through a Stephen King reread last year . . .
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 35,005
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Forever And A Day by Anthony Horowitz. This brings to an end my Bondathon reread.
    What next?

    One of Sir Roger's books ?

    Probably not. Trying not to buy any more books at the moment (though I know there will be at least three I will HAVE to get this year), so am trying to find stuff that I already have. There is a TBR pile, plus my Tom Sharpe’s are probably do for a reread, and I got about half-way through a Stephen King reread last year . . .

    Which Stephen King? I've still been making a point of going through all his books, I own most of them and have enjoyed the seven or eight I've read in the past few years.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,069
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Forever And A Day by Anthony Horowitz. This brings to an end my Bondathon reread.
    What next?

    One of Sir Roger's books ?

    Probably not. Trying not to buy any more books at the moment (though I know there will be at least three I will HAVE to get this year), so am trying to find stuff that I already have. There is a TBR pile, plus my Tom Sharpe’s are probably do for a reread, and I got about half-way through a Stephen King reread last year . . .

    I know the feeling. I just got done with The Godfather series. I'm alternating between different authors and series at the moment. However, James Bond is my top pick if I don't know where to go.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    THE CHRISTIAN CREED-ITS ORIGIN AND SIGNIFICATION (1904) by C. W. Leadbeater
    Photo_2005_3_3_13_24_55.jpg
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Posts: 1,874
    Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. First reread for this since I first found Sharpe in the early 80s after picking up The Wilt Alternative from a local newsagents (long since gone), being intrigued by the Paul ‘Ogri’ Sample cover. Once I had read TWA, I sought out all available Tom Sharpe novels.
    If you love a good laugh and have not read any Tom Sharpe, then I suggest you seek him out.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,069
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Listening to the audiobook of Tomorrow Never Dies.

    I though it was better than the movie. The backstories would helped the movie be better, and feel more unique.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,455
    51ujkj8J19L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2019 Posts: 14,777
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Listening to the audiobook of Tomorrow Never Dies.

    I though it was better than the movie. The backstories would helped the movie be better, and feel more unique.

    Yes, and in an interview author Raymond Benson confirmed that he came up with that background of Carver and Lord Roverman etc. all by himself. It wasn't part of the film scripts that he based the novelisation on.

    I agree that such background adds immensely to the TND story and is more Flemingesque in nature than what we ended up with in the film. The two, films and books, are very different mediums of course and action-centric films like TND have less time to go into any backstory than the added space that a novelisation affords.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    VisBildeServlet?produktId=13045990&width=600
    1938
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,069
    i'm a lebowski you're a lebowski.

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Nzi4oTQZL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

    Already done with the first chapter, man.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Posts: 1,874
    Done Indecent Exposure and am now on Porterhouse Blue in my Tom Sharpe reread. Funny books, can’t think why I haven’t reread these before now.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Posts: 1,874
    Blott on the Landscape by Tom Sharpe. Fourth book from Mr Sharpe, and I have to say that it is one of my least favourite of the early Sharpe’s, still good but not quite up there with what has gone before. . . or what is to come.
  • Posts: 13,267
    Just finished A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a story featuring the debut of some detective who I understand is fairly famous. Will start D. C. Noir tomorrow. Today reading more of Maus by Art Spiegelman and Welsh Folk Tales by Peter Stevenson.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,069
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Just finished A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a story featuring the debut of some detective who I understand is fairly famous. Will start D. C. Noir tomorrow. Today reading more of Maus by Art Spiegelman and Welsh Folk Tales by Peter Stevenson.

    A Study in Scarlet is high on my list to read. Thanks for reminding me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    THE WAY OF SERVICE (1919) by G. S. Arundale.
  • Posts: 2,312
    Are you thinking of becoming a butler?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,485
    The Power of the Dog, by Don Winslow.
  • mrlynxmrlynx Maine
    Posts: 26
    I just started reading “Your Face Tomorrow” by Javier Marías. It’s a 3-part novel about a Spanish academic who gets pulled into MI6 for his talent of reading people. So far it’s a combination of low key sad detective story with tons of existentialism thrown in. After reading one chapter I ordered the other two volumes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    Revelator wrote: »
    Are you thinking of becoming a butler?

    I am thinking of hiring one. Are you interested?
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 14,777
    Revelator wrote: »
    Are you thinking of becoming a butler?

    I am thinking of hiring one. Are you interested?

    I'm already his chauffeur. The pay isn't bad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    31v2UBqswjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    1899
  • Posts: 2,312
    I am thinking of hiring one. Are you interested?

    I do not buttle for warlocks. Plus I charge more than Dragonpol.

  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,359
    Panchito Pistoles' rejected drafts for Casino Royale & Bond 25.
  • Posts: 13,267
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Panchito Pistoles' rejected drafts for Casino Royale & Bond 25.

    Interesting. Why were they rejected?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,359
    Ludovico wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Panchito Pistoles' rejected drafts for Casino Royale & Bond 25.

    Interesting. Why were they rejected?

    Well, he wanted DC to play the villain that shoots PB's Bond in CR.

    PB's Bond was to be magically resurrected in B25 so he could finally get his revenge.

    A bit too much one would say.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    51BRXmf9UxL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    1915
  • Posts: 13,267
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Panchito Pistoles' rejected drafts for Casino Royale & Bond 25.

    Interesting. Why were they rejected?

    Well, he wanted DC to play the villain that shoots PB's Bond in CR.

    PB's Bond was to be magically resurrected in B25 so he could finally get his revenge.

    A bit too much one would say.

    Slightly.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,359
    Ludovico wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Panchito Pistoles' rejected drafts for Casino Royale & Bond 25.

    Interesting. Why were they rejected?

    Well, he wanted DC to play the villain that shoots PB's Bond in CR.

    PB's Bond was to be magically resurrected in B25 so he could finally get his revenge.

    A bit too much one would say.

    Slightly.

    Skewered.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,660
    BRITAIN S PLACE IN THE GREAT PLAN (1921) by Annie Besant.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 14,777
    BRITAIN S PLACE IN THE GREAT PLAN (1921) by Annie Besant.

    Rather appropriate given the current state of the nation.
Sign In or Register to comment.