1980's - The Forgotten Decade

1235»

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    BAIN123 wrote:

Was watching FYEO this morning too. Its good, Moore's on good form but it feels a bit...bland... at times. While it does have some classy scenes there's a bit of a meat/potatoes style to it. I prefer OP. AT least it has a bit more of an exotic manner to it.

Completely agree. I always find FYEO good, but bland. To me, it doesn't stand out as much as Moore's other Bond films.

And about Brosnan, I asked many people at my job (aged between 17 and 32), and to my surprise, Brosnan was much more popular than Craig among these co-workers. Let's say that 80-85% prefer Brosnan. He was and still is popular in the general public.

Edit: Fixed!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,333
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Yeah...and the Margret Thatcher stuff wasn't forced or unnatural at all ;)

If memory serves me correctly Thatcher was played by Janet Brown, a popular British comedian of the time who was famous for doing the same skit on The Mike Yarwood Show. It certainly wasn't forced but was highly inappropriate considering this was meant to be Roger's serious take on Bond. But this is an entirely separate issue to Roger having comic timing and the Brozzer having none.

And, 007RogerMoore, it depends what your work colleagues prefered Brosnan to. Let's say 80-85% prefer Brosnan to.... a swift kick in the nuts!! Depends how you worded it. ;))

Though I'd rather take a donkey kick to the nuts than watch Brosnan ruin a joke.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For example, the best scene of TND.

I love the expressions Brosnan gives in this scene (like the little smiles and the calm but concerned stares) - esp when he kills Kaulfman at the end. How can you NOT say he's Bond.

looking back... my problem with Brosnan, is that scenes like that, were few and far between.. Pierce played up the charm well, but the times when he was to be menacing were sparse - and sometimes, he played it too carefree and comical (like Moore) where it became hard for me to believe, that this was a man who was a licensed assassin.... i think this is where a lot of people (including myself) tend to feel, that he never really owned the role - it felt like we were watching someone pretending to be Bond, rather than BEING Bond... but, i enjoyed Brozzer's time as Bond - i wont lie just to say i'm one side or the other... i grew up watching him, TND was my first Bond movie in the theaters.........

no one (maybe except for the untouchable Connery) will ever be perfect in the role.... when Craig's time is up - this will all happen again... it's just the way it goes.
    Not completely unrelated to this thread... ( I love the 80s )
    I found these guys, its a brand new song, sounds as if it were in the 80s.
    It would blow my mind if the 80s repeated its-self...

http://rokpad.com/you-need-1-21-gigawatts-time-panels-flux-capacitors-and-of-course-a-delorean/
    BAIN123 wrote:
    She still maintains her ballsy personality though that she displayed earlier in the film and which got her through tough situations ("go ahead...shoot him, he means nothing to me" - echoing what Bond had said to Alec earlier).

She was also needed because of her satallite and computer expertise so there was a reason for her to go with him.

What's wrong with wanting to go because of Pierce's body ;) I'm a hetrosexual but even I'd follow him to Cuba :p

(For the record Isabella is a better actress than Carole Boquet too)

Bain, you obviously have a particular affection for the Brozza era (and some of the Bond girls) because these were the first films you saw. This is understandable and no one can deny your own response to these movies. However, this does seem to sometimes blind you to the generally poor quality of those films. We can have endless debates about whether Joe Public prefers Brozza or DC, but at the end of the day, we are not Joe Public, we are true fans, and we therefore expect more and hold the films to higher standards. The fact is that Brozza (whether you like him or not), never brought anything very distinctive to the role and was lumped with some of the worst scripts, directing and casting of the entire series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    The fact is that Brozza (whether you like him or not), never brought anything very distinctive to the role and was lumped with some of the worst scripts, directing and casting of the entire series.

Or maybe it's just your opinion.........
  • Getafix wrote:
    The fact is that Brozza (whether you like him or not), never brought anything very distinctive to the role.

That is not fact, that is opinion. I happen to believe he brought a youthfulness, suaveness, and intensity that none of the others before him were able to match.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,333
    In defence of Getafix, of course it's his opinion. Almost every single post here is based on an opinion. There would be nothing to read or respond to if we all agreed on the same thing. Personally, I don't want to be in any club that might be manifesting here but it makes life more interesting if we don't all share the same persuasion. :)>-
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    She still maintains her ballsy personality though that she displayed earlier in the film and which got her through tough situations ("go ahead...shoot him, he means nothing to me" - echoing what Bond had said to Alec earlier).

She was also needed because of her satallite and computer expertise so there was a reason for her to go with him.

What's wrong with wanting to go because of Pierce's body ;) I'm a hetrosexual but even I'd follow him to Cuba :p

Bain, you obviously have a particular affection for the Brozza era (and some of the Bond girls) because these were the first films you saw. This is understandable and no one can deny your own response to these movies. However, this does seem to sometimes blind you to the generally poor quality of those films. We can have endless debates about whether Joe Public prefers Brozza or DC, but at the end of the day, we are not Joe Public, we are true fans, and we therefore expect more and hold the films to higher standards. The fact is that Brozza (whether you like him or not), never brought anything very distinctive to the role and was lumped with some of the worst scripts, directing and casting of the entire series.

I will admit...after GE Brozza's films are enjoyable BUT pretty forgettable (except DAD of course) and sometimes poorley written. However I still maintain GE is one of the best Bond movies. Not THE best but definitely in the top 10. In terms of directing, casting and acting its the best of his era hands down. For christ sake the director went on to direct CR which is now regarded as a masterpiece or close by many fans. He must have done something right in GE otherwise the producers wouldn't have re-hired him.

(For the record I DON'T think Brozza is better than DC).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I will admit...after GE Brozza's films are enjoyable BUT pretty forgettable (except DAD of course) and sometimes poorley written. However I still maintain GE is one of the best Bond movies. Not THE best but definitely in the top 10. In terms of directing, casting and acting its the best of his era hands down. For christ sake the director went on to direct CR which is now regarded as a masterpiece or close by many fans. He must have done something right in GE otherwise the producers wouldn't have re-hired him.

(For the record I DON'T think Brozza is better than DC).

I prefer TND. Good PTS, some nice Euro locations and in Michelle Yeoh, a not utterly embarassing Bong 'girl'. The story is more than a little derivative with several scenes lifted directly from other Bond movies. However, of Brozza's efforts, I've always thought it was the 'best'. I remember actually coming out of GE feeling shell shocked - from the moment Brozza appears head down in a toilet cubicle, through his magic flying plane stunt, the cravat and the appalling soundtrack, I just felt it utterly sucked. Oh and Cummings. For me I actually felt that with TND Brozza and the producers were getting things back on track. And then TWINE come along. I can barely remember it, it was so boring. And then, of course, DUD, of which we don't need to say anything. Compare any of these films to any of the 1980s movies though and they come off very badly - including GE IMO and even TND.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    TND was alrite but too light-weight and way too cheesey. It was directed by the guy who did Stop or My Mom will Shoot FFS.

In my book GE, while silly at times, had a better blend of action and drama. It had a better set of baddies as well as a better title song too.

I was also listening to the soundtrack of GE as I drove back from work today. Don't care what people like u say it's a good soundtrack that suits the cold war theme perfectly.

TND starts off ok but relies soley on action set pieces from the mid way point. Even pierce said "it wasn't up to speed and wasn't as good as GE".
    Hmmm. I kind of prefer QoS to CR and TND to GE, precisely because of the snappier pacing. CR and GE are a bit bloated IMO - although CR is the better film of those two.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Even pierce said "it wasn't up to speed and wasn't as good as GE".

and that would be a ghost he would be chasing for the rest of his tenure as Bond

• edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Not everyone doesn't like Brosnan. Some of us like his films and DON'T think he had the worst scripts and directing in the series. Stop talking like your opinion is a fact, not everyone agrees with you. Get over it.
    I find it amazing how things go off thread. This is about the 80's, which Brosnan and Craig did not even appear in so why the discussions about any of their films.
    My own opinion, the 80's were my favourite as they were the time i was at the innocent age to view the films. 14 to 23.
    There was no internet to spoil things, you watched the trailers in the cinema and 6 months later the film after waiting in a long queue to get in. Each film was a great occasion (apart from NSNA and AVTAK which both left me a little underwhelmed when I saw them in the cinema) often repeated over and over again watching the films all summer long (also something i miss now).