Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I don't agree every MI film has tried to copy Bond. There are bound to be variations of stunts in all sorts of films.

Bonds have done variations of earlier films over and over again for years and have borrowed from other films themselves, so I wouldn't exactly extend exclusivity. Some would call it inspired by.
    I have no Problem with what RN did, I find the film very entertaining and consistent. But there are Scenes in there that I cannot with the best of will call "inspired by". It´s ripped off and made something out of.
    To an extent this could be semantics, but surely the 'made something out of' is what removes something from the direct rip off realm and takes into inspired territory?
    The way those Elements were used was inspired, but the way they were lifted from other films was not.
    If you could give me an example of a direct lift in RN in particular I'd appreciate it, because I'm only seeing inspiration. There are only so many things one can do with a plane, car, bike etc. without some throwback to something somewhere.
    The opera Scene in RN made me think more of QoS than of anything else. It also made me think of Hitchcock, but in a more subtle way. I would differentiate between "inspired by" and rip-off by the measure the Scene guides my mind to another Topic than the film itself. If it lets me enjoy the aesthetic, mood and tension of a director I can´t enjoy otherwise anymore (because he doesn´t live anymore) without losing its own identity, I would call it "inspired by". If it makes me think, "But that´s what we just saw a few years ago in another Blockbuster spy Franchise", then it loses a bit of its own identity, and that makes it a rip-off in my book.
    As I´ve said before, I am of the opinion that, while ripping Things off, RN made very good stuff out of it.

Agreed and not just the opera scenes but there was a lot of things common in SP and mi5 which can't be a mere coincidence but still RN is still my favorite and had high rewatchabality for me.

I have posted a link if anyone wants to see the similarities between the two.

Christ almighty. No offence intended @Resurrection, but 90% of that video is total rubbish.

I mean, "Agent Jumps Off Roof"?

@CraigMooreOHMSS None taken as I said before I enjoyed it more than any mi film and also SP but I wouldn't go as far as calling it 90% rubbish.It did raise some fair points imo

A lot of locations were common there especially blenheim palace.(Austria/Morocco/London)

Both have criminal organization behind the attacks and main Villian survived at the end.

New Boss lobbies to disband agencies.

Hackers getting in danger when involved in field work by main character.

Love interest got kidnapped and rigged bomb next to her.

Calling each other bluff

Talking across glass ceiling

Benji's character is a lot similar to Q.

People will say that it's just a coincidence but it's not. Why didn't john wick or Bourne series didn't have much similarities with bond. It raise a lot of questions there.

@bondjames RN was supposed to release in December 2015 but for some reason release date was pushed back 6 months, you can check in Wikipedia release section if you want.

Anyway I don't want to argue on these things but I could never believe like some members that they never try to take any sort of inspiration and going all by originally.But still I apologise if I have hurt anyone's emotions regarding mi.
    It's easy to shoot holes in some of these: First off, the Syndicate was mentioned at the end of Ghost Protocol and comes directly from the MI TV series and they mention stealing weapons.

The IMF is threatened to be disbanded in practically every film.

Benjie was introduced in MI:III and went in the field in GP before Q was reintroduced into the modern Bonds and the team had gadgets without such a character from the start.

The most amusing was above with somebody mentioning the opera scene in QoS as inspiration/rip-off in GP. Come on. QoS was considered forgettable to a lot of fans, so I doubt another genre franchise would do that from a film that wasn't considered influential to begin with. One had to do with an assassination and the other was Bond infiltrating a meeting of the villain organization, not really the setting of an action scene although there was a shootout.

I could easily say the Fallout bathroom fight was a rip-off of CR's. It reminded me of it, no doubt, but enough of a variation it was entertaining.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2019 Posts: 7,980
    Concerning the bathroom fight, did CR rip-off True Lies? I don’t think so.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2019 Posts: 8,034

I could easily say the Fallout bathroom fight was a rip-off of CR's. It reminded me of it, no doubt, but enough of a variation it was entertaining.

I got more of a TRUE LIES vibe from the FALLOUT bathroom scene, but that was also a Americanised spoof of Bond too. So, swings and roundabouts ;)

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    I don't agree every MI film has tried to copy Bond. There are bound to be variations of stunts in all sorts of films.

Bonds have done variations of earlier films over and over again for years and have borrowed from other films themselves, so I wouldn't exactly extend exclusivity. Some would call it inspired by.
    I have no Problem with what RN did, I find the film very entertaining and consistent. But there are Scenes in there that I cannot with the best of will call "inspired by". It´s ripped off and made something out of.
    To an extent this could be semantics, but surely the 'made something out of' is what removes something from the direct rip off realm and takes into inspired territory?
    The way those Elements were used was inspired, but the way they were lifted from other films was not.
    If you could give me an example of a direct lift in RN in particular I'd appreciate it, because I'm only seeing inspiration. There are only so many things one can do with a plane, car, bike etc. without some throwback to something somewhere.
    The opera Scene in RN made me think more of QoS than of anything else. It also made me think of Hitchcock, but in a more subtle way. I would differentiate between "inspired by" and rip-off by the measure the Scene guides my mind to another Topic than the film itself. If it lets me enjoy the aesthetic, mood and tension of a director I can´t enjoy otherwise anymore (because he doesn´t live anymore) without losing its own identity, I would call it "inspired by". If it makes me think, "But that´s what we just saw a few years ago in another Blockbuster spy Franchise", then it loses a bit of its own identity, and that makes it a rip-off in my book.
    As I´ve said before, I am of the opinion that, while ripping Things off, RN made very good stuff out of it.

Agreed and not just the opera scenes but there was a lot of things common in SP and mi5 which can't be a mere coincidence but still RN is still my favorite and had high rewatchabality for me.

Christ almighty. No offence intended @Resurrection, but 90% of that video is total rubbish.

@CraigMooreOHMSS None taken as I said before I enjoyed it more than any mi film and also SP but I wouldn't go as far as calling it 90% rubbish.It did raise some fair points imo

A lot of locations were common there especially blenheim palace.(Austria/Morocco/London)

Both have criminal organization behind the attacks and main Villian survived at the end.

New Boss lobbies to disband agencies.

Hackers getting in danger when involved in field work by main character.

Love interest got kidnapped and rigged bomb next to her.

Calling each other bluff

Talking across glass ceiling

Benji's character is a lot similar to Q.

People will say that it's just a coincidence but it's not. Why didn't john wick or Bourne series didn't have much similarities with bond. It raise a lot of questions there.

@bondjames RN was supposed to release in December 2015 but for some reason release date was pushed back 6 months, you can check in Wikipedia release section if you want.

Anyway I don't want to argue on these things but I could never believe like some members that they never try to take any sort of inspiration and going all by originally.But still I apologise if I have hurt anyone's emotions regarding mi.
    It's easy to shoot holes in some of these: First off, the Syndicate was mentioned at the end of Ghost Protocol and comes directly from the MI TV series and they mention stealing weapons.

The IMF is threatened to be disbanded in practically every film.

Benjie was introduced in MI:III and went in the field in GP before Q was reintroduced into the modern Bonds and the team had gadgets without such a character from the start.

The most amusing was above with somebody mentioning the opera scene in QoS as inspiration/rip-off in GP. Come on. QoS was considered forgettable to a lot of fans, so I doubt another genre franchise would do that from a film that wasn't considered influential to begin with. One had to do with an assassination and the other was Bond infiltrating a meeting of the villain organization, not really the setting of an action scene although there was a shootout.

Read my comment properly first I am pretty sure SP came in 1960s which came from Ian Fleming books.Even DC said in an interview that he knew that they will eventually move to more classic elements as time goes by.

Blofeld has tradition of surviving but there is no excuse for lane who was leading the organization just like SP.

SP script was leaked way back in 2014 which also had an influence on release date of RN.

IMF is threatened to disband from mi4 but RN and SP has 2 common characters leading that disban "C" in SP and "Director of CIA" in RN.

Q was introduced way back in 60s with gadgets from start and the first time Q went into the field to work with bond was in LTK same thing happened in SP and RN. Benji came into danger by working with Ethan Just as Q with bond.

QOS is not forgettable for me and many fans but seriously you are saying if film goes bad one cannot be inspired from that. SP was considered as one of the worst still it's train fight stands out.

There is a shootout scene in TLD where bond shoot Pushkin to save him just as Ethan did in opera to save the chancellor.

CR bathroom fight had some real brutality to it which I can't say about true lies or fallout although I did enjoy all of them.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Spectre and RM have loads in common.
    I'm also a QoS fan and love the opera scene, I'm just saying I'm not sure why they other than being at an opera there is any other connection, homage, rip-off, etc. going on there.

It just seems like a lot of real stretching to connect all these things to each other. Fans have a right to do so, I guess I just don't see it as such. Peking duck and Russian caviar as far as I'm concerned and I have no problem saying I find MI much more entertaining and inventive than I do Bond right now and some of that may have to do with the team being enthusiastic and putting things that are fresh enough onscreen they don't have me thinking I've seen it all before, which I've done frequently with Bond films.

Okay, go for it.
    I'm also a QoS fan and love the opera scene, I'm just saying I'm not sure why they other than being at an opera there is any other connection, homage, rip-off, etc. going on there.

It just seems like a lot of real stretching to connect all these things to each other. Fans have a right to do so, I guess I just don't see it as such. Peking duck and Russian caviar as far as I'm concerned and I have no problem saying I find MI much more entertaining and inventive than I do Bond right now and some of that may have to do with the team being enthusiastic and putting things that are fresh enough onscreen they don't have me thinking I've seen it all before, which I've done frequently with Bond films.

This is spot on.

I really don't see much pleasure in comparing Rogue Nation or Fallout to Spectre as Bond will always fail in both respects in that instance. The former pair are leagues ahead in terms of entertainment value and rewatchability. I sometimes feel, not always correctly, that saying something ripped off another thing is a dedicated fans way of being unable to accept that someone else may be momentarily on top.
    Currently I am more excited about the next MI movie as they have really been enjoyable since MI3 and have brought great spy thrillers with exciting stunts, which after CR have been lacking severely, the best in SP with the helicopter but that looked very CGI while we all know that Cruise had been hanging outside of a flipping airplane which immediately ups the ante.
    The stunts form the Moore-007 era were exciting too as you knew they have been done for real, that is what the MI series offers and the 007 series is seriously lacking in the stunts, car chases and action scenes. In that aspect Cruise makes Craig eat his dust easily.
    1. Mission Impossible (the doctor no of MI franchise)

2. MI:3 (one of the best action movies of the past 15 years)

3. MI:4 (great ensemble, but weak plot and villain)

4. MI:6 (perfect epic scale, OHMSS of MI)

5. MI:5 (very solid entry, unmemorable finale)

6. MI:2 (DAD of MI movies, weak Gillian, boring, unmemorable plotline.

MI3 is a waste of film, cheesy dialogue, awful excuse for a plot and it was made at the height of shaky camera.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    MI3 is a waste of film, cheesy dialogue, awful excuse for a plot and it was made at the height of shaky camera.

I could not disagree more; MI:3 is the film that put the franchise on track and contained the elements that would be refined in future entries. It is the emotional backbone of the series that added depth without that aspect becoming an emotional crutch.
    Ethan Hunt became a three dimensional character rather than just a spy.

It's very hard for me to rank the films; other than MI:2 the rest are all incredibly enjoyable and are equal for different qualities.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,352
    M: I 3 is a mixed bag for me, after recent rewatches I enjoy the action, certainly the Factory Resue and Rome set pieces, some of the connective tissue does not work for me though.

The soundtrack is a plus point, certainly early on in the film.
    RN is on TV whilst I am at work, the motorcycle chase is pretty awesome, some incredible shots.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RN is on TV whilst I am at work, the motorcycle chase is pretty awesome, some incredible shots.
    Absolutely. I love the way they film that sequence, alternating the camera angles. It really gives off a sense of the speed and danger and is wonderfully edited.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Great stuff and something to look forward to. Thanks.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Absolutely. I love the way they film that sequence, alternating the camera angles. It really gives off a sense of the speed and danger and is wonderfully edited.

Going to rewatch my 4K version RN again on Sunday, its still the least watched film for me from the series though the film is improving every time I watch it. It probably won't get into my top three though the bar is very high.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Going to rewatch my 4K version RN again on Sunday, its still the least watched film for me from the series though the film is improving every time I watch it. It probably won't get into my top three though the bar is very high.
    Enjoy. I know what you mean about the high bar.

The RN release isn't from a 4K master so the quality is a bit off in comparison to the rest (I find it a bit oversaturated). Still, it's a great film.

Enjoy. I know what you mean about the high bar.

The RN release isn't from a 4K master so the quality is a bit off in comparison to the rest (I find it a bit oversaturated). Still, it's a great film.

Finally got round to buying RN score yesterday so I have all 7 movie albums. RN in isolation is pretty good, certainly starting to appreciate it more.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    Can't wait too. I wasn't fond of the 3 first MI movies, but since McQuarrie is in charge (and particulary since he directs too), the late installements are, to me, faithfull to the original TV shows. While waiting for the next movies, I'm currently re-watching my DVDs of the complete series (first era, 1966-1973)
    Can't wait too. I wasn't fond of the 3 first MI movies, but since McQuarrie is in charge (and particulary since he directs too), the late installements are, to me, faithfull to the original TV shows. While waiting for the next movies, I'm currently re-watching my DVDs of the complete series (first era, 1966-1973)

Literally just finished watching an episode of M:I the one with Anthony Zerbe and Martin Sheen, the original series is timeless.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, who portrayed (IMO) the best villain of the M:I franchise, passed away 5 years ago today.
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, who portrayed (IMO) the best villain of the M:I franchise, passed away 5 years ago today.

He was a great villain; his character, Owen Davian, was intelligent, arrogant, ruthless and would do anything to get what he wanted.
    Also, while not obviously physically intimidating, he was convincing when fighting Hunt. and had the latent brute force of a bear.
    MI3 isn’t my favorite MI film, but Philip Seymour Hoffman’s character is probably my favorite villain in the series. Terrific performance like always from Hoffman.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    1. Mission Impossible (the doctor no of MI franchise)

2. MI:3 (one of the best action movies of the past 15 years)

3. MI:4 (great ensemble, but weak plot and villain)

4. MI:6 (perfect epic scale, OHMSS of MI)

5. MI:5 (very solid entry, unmemorable finale)

6. MI:2 (DAD of MI movies, weak Gillian, boring, unmemorable plotline.

I agree shaky cameras are something that really ruin almost every film at that time. Although I admire Philips as an actor but not the whole film really which was confusing and full of plot holes.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    MI3 isn’t my favorite MI film, but Philip Seymour Hoffman’s character is probably my favorite villain in the series. Terrific performance like always from Hoffman.

Hoffman elevated everything he was involved in. He was in a league of his own.
    Best score...

3 this has recently hit awesome levels (Listening to this score alot recently its amazing)
    Best score...

3 this has recently hit awesome levels (Listening to this score alot recently its amazing)

I think mine would be....

I love Kraemer's work for the fifth film. It's a gorgeous score.
    Best score...

I think mine would be....

I love Kraemer's work for the fifth film. It's a gorgeous score.

I changed 3 and 4 in my posted list, 3 is incredible.

Regarding Kraemer I have greater appreciation there are some great themes in his score though the variety you find in other scores is not there in RN IMO. Though the Flight of the Opera is one of the best themes in the series
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Actor crossovers from Star Trek and Mission Impossible TV shows

I am watching an episode from the original series where Peter Graves falls for Joan Collins, the slow motion shot when there eyes meet is suspiciously very similar to the Thandie Newton/ Tom Cruise scene in M:I 2
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Okay, go for it.

Our hero goes rogue to take on a massive secret criminal organization all on his own.

Meanwhile, the agency he works for is under attack from within, though a tech genius on the inside goes against his boss to help our hero.

Our newly introduced heroine has an intimate connection to the baddies, but ultimately turns out to be a goody.

In the climax, our hero is forced to make a difficult decision regarding whether or not to save someone close to him that the villain has strapped to a bomb.

After facing each other down through bulletproof glass, the hero has the villain apprehended rather than killed, a rare situation for the franchise.

Name the film!
    Rogue Nation? Or the Dark Knight?