Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

A View to a Kill wins for me. Aside from pure nostalgia, I love the soundtrack, Max Zorin is one of th best main villains, Roger Moore is in superb, top-notch form, and the climax/finale is oen of the most intense, edge-of-your-seat Bond finales to date.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Good lord, these matchups are becoming awful.

AVTAK for not having parasailing CGI on the Seine.
  • DAD,because I do enjoy it a little more, but mostly because nobody else will vote for it.
    A View to a Kill

I actually enjoy AVTAK and don't rank it amongst the worst in the series, although I don't have it in the upper echelon either. It falls somewhere in the middle, whereas DAD is one of the worst in the series by a healthy margin.
    A View To a Kill! It's really not that bad. The fire truck scene was too comical for my taste, but overall it's a decent movie, while DAD is with no doubt the worst in the series, at least according to my ranking.
    A View to a Kill
    AVTAK.
    AVTAK for simply the airship approaching the Golden Gate bridge scene - music, camera angles, everything produces a, and I hesitate to use this word apart from its english language context not its surfer one, awesome scene.

DAD made me want to give up on Bond forever.
    AVTAK is not as bad as some say. And I won't talk about DAD...
    AVTAK wins

List of ratings.
    AVTAK - 18
    DAD - 22
  • AVTAK by rather a long way. For all its well-documented faults, it still has a charming Moore, a decent villain, a SUPERB score (seriously, Barry in this film is sublime) and little flashes of the old magic from the seasoned Bond team.

Die Another Day is about as far from 'classic' Bond, as it is possible to go.

I'd go for Sir Rog's final bow, over Brosnan's, any day of the week.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Oh common! This is an easy one

DAD I mean AVTAK

AVTAK may have felt sleepy but at least it has Christopher Walken in it.

:)) at Moore parasailing on the Seine

Vs

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AVTAK

It has the John Barry score.
    AVTAK all the way.
    AVTAK easily.
    AVTAK it has Roger Moore. O:-)
    I don't wanna vote. This one is extremely hard.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    AVTAK vs DAD. =))

I'm going to pick DAD. It may not be one of the best films in the series, but it does have 1 o2 two things in it's favour. AVTAK however, is the worst film in the series, and has nothing going for it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Oh common! This is an easy one

DAD I mean AVTAK

AVTAK may have felt sleepy but at least it has Christopher Walken in it.

:)) at Moore parasailing on the Seine

Vs

I will take the Beach boys music in AVTAK a thousand times over the cgi tsunami any day of the week.

They actually went to Iceland and Switzerland to film that. They made the effort. In DAD they stuck Pierce in front of a green screen, put him in a harness and told him to grimace alot.

It was awful. As a Bond fan on first viewing I was hanging my head in shame. Cubby Broccoli would have paid for a second unit to go to Greenland, Spitzbergen, the Antarctic and done it for real.

Under Tamahori it was grubby green screen time. But hey, says Lee - you have to get with the kids..

You're right @actonsteve BUT the redeeming feature of the second clip (IMO) is Arnold's music.

According to the directors commentary the idea came from Tamahori after he'd seen a chunk of glacier fall off. I suppose it wasn't a bad idea in principle but in practice :-&
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    AVTAK, which brings the score 14-2 in AVTAK's favor. Sorry, DAD, but you're probably gonna lose.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Hate this pair up, but really it's nearly a tie for me (I don't like either).
    I'll go with AVTAK.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Close call, 2 good films... AVTAK wins thanks to the wonderful Barry score.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    16-2, and AVTAK will probably be our winner, unless some DAD-lovers start throwing votes in soon.
  • Any official Bond film beats DAD. AVTAK in a romp.
    A View To A Kill
    - it is actually quite good- i still like Die Another Day...lets say that both films are better than Qantum of Solace...
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    maybe in your feeble opinion...let's stick to the subject.
    18-2 Do I even need to say that AVTAK is winning?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A View to a Kill.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DAD,because I do enjoy it a little more, but mostly because nobody else will vote for it.

O ye of little faith. I'll make it 3 votes for DAD since aside from Jinx, I find it quite entertaining for the first 1/2 to 2/3 up until it turns from a movie into a CGI videogame after Bond learns of Miranda's treachery.
    002 wrote:
    i still like Die Another Day...lets say that both films are better than Qantum of Solace...

Agree there.

Die Another Day