"Bond Girls are Forever" and "Everything or Nothing"

Has anyone seen Bond Girls are Forever or Everything or Nothing? Having just finished the Bond films, I'm wondering if I should watch them. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think you should definitely check them out. Everything Or Nothing is especially awesome. You can then move on to "Becoming Bond", arguably one of the most fascinating "documentaries" I've seen in ages.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Pretty much every Bond documentary is worth checking out, certainly the two mentioned.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    They are all excellent!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Everything or Nothing is a fantastic documentary. I highly recommend it to any Bond fan.
    I get emotional every time I watch that docu.

1) When Barbara talks about Sean's call to her father.
    2) When it is mentioned that critics and audiences alike were utterly insane to have rejected Dalton's great Bond. I believe the words spoken are, "How do you explain something like that?"
    3) When it is pointed out that Fleming's death was certainly facilitated by McClory's ridiculous manhunt.
    4) And perhaps a little bit when Pierce talks about a certain difficult phone call in 2004 or 2005.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Both docs are excellent IMO – especially “Everything or Nothing.”

Despite being an officially sanctioned product, it is surprisingly candid about the ups and downs of the 007 franchise over the years. For example, even though Sean Connery did not want to be interviewed, his “perspective” is still represented by the use of both archival clips and David V. Picker (United Artists) on camera interviews. Connery's "voice" is clear – especially concerning his deteriorating relationship with Broccoli and Saltzman.

I think that EON is still available as a stand alone download from itunes (US).
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Both docs are excellent IMO – especially “Everything or Nothing.”

Despite being an officially sanctioned product, it is surprisingly candid about the ups and downs of the 007 franchise over the years. For example, even though Sean Connery did not want to be interviewed, his “perspective” is still represented by the use of both archival clips and David V. Picker (United Artists) on camera interviews. Connery's "voice" is clear – especially concerning his deteriorating relationship with Broccoli and Saltzman.

I think that EON is still available as a stand alone download from itunes (US).

A point well made. The documentary doesn't shy away from addressing some of the more controversial issues. Even Lazenby has satisfied himself, it seems, that it's wisest to just lay the blame on himself and his close friends rather than merely on the producers.

I think the folks at EON were smart to remove confusion and speculation in favour of a clean version of past issues that have more or less been publicly deconstructed over the past couple of decades anyway.

Only the Monty Norman - John Barry dispute remains somewhat clouded...
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Both are very good.
    Pity none of the Blu-rays feature Everything or Nothing as a special feature.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Pity none of the Blu-rays feature Everything or Nothing as a special feature.

The Ultimate James Bond Collection includes a DVD of Everything or Nothing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I bought the original release of Bond 50 Bluray boxset which did not have Everything or Nothing included, so I ended up getting the HD download of Everything or Nothing from Amazon Instant Video.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,721
    They released Everything or Nothing on DVD here. And the whole thing is on YouTube.

I really like the way they communicate the rapidity of Fleming's writing. With the train music in From Russia With Love playing as a typewriter hammers down short sentences over quick cuts.

Dalton is amazing in this documentary. He delivers his pointed statements with theatrical ferocity
    "I can't take my seven year old to see the Bond film."
    "Well it was never meant for seven year olds!"

I think they do a good job of reflecting Saltzman's contribution. His children are good interview subjects too. Especially when they're talking about the toll their mother's illness and death took on Harry. But also when Cubby and Harry met at the FYEO premiere for the first time since their falling out and it was as if 'everyone else melted away'.

I love Brosnan talking about receiving the soul crushing call about Remington Steele's renewal and when he can't remember the difference between Tomorrow Never Dies or The World is Not Enough. And giggling at arriving on set and being told 'Alright Brosnan, you're kite surfing a tsunami today. Ok!'

Such a fun doco and endlessly rewatchable.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I truly LOVE 'Bond Girls Are Forever'. Well, I would, wouldn't I? ;)

I have not seen EON.
  • Thanks everyone :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,446
    Kevin mcclory whas right about Thunderball and Fleming get his second deathly heart atack because of another reasen beside that fact he smokes to much and he smokes to much because of that reasen. It give more depth to Daniel Craig Bond (his heart atack in CR can be inspyred by Flemings fitst heart atack) and i must say like a lot of people i have played with idea Bond 25 in 2019 must be final Bond movie with Bond get his second heart atack 56 years later after Fleming died on the age of 56.

Of course Bond then dies on age of 56 (in year he turn 57) from 1962 - 2019 or 66/67 (1952 when Fleming start writing Bond).
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Kevin mcclory whas right about Thunderball.

Until the moment he decided to pursue his idea of "justice" far beyond the acceptable and reasonable. Fleming may have owed McClory a credit and a few royalties, but McClory spent a lifetime chasing after the keys to the kingdom. What he wanted was ridiculously out of proportion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2019 Posts: 4,554
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I think you should definitely check them out. Everything Or Nothing is especially awesome. You can then move on to "Becoming Bond", arguably one of the most fascinating "documentaries" I've seen in ages.

All of this.

Plus, it is the last we see/hear of Roger substantively on the subject of Bond.