Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• You Only Live Twice

I love Connery and it saddened me to see him in DAF; which should, by rights, have either been Lazenby's second film, or Moore's first.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    17-10, YOLT is still winning.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    13. You Only Live Twice
    19. Diamonds Are Forever

YOLT takes it for me. Good things about both but YOLT has my favorite Bond girl to this day, and DAF while having my 2nd favorite Bond soundtrack doesn't do the death of Tracy any justice.

Make it 18-10 for YOLT
  • Diamonds. Are. Forever.

DAF is 2nd, YOLT is 3rd.

18- 11, YOLT is in the lead
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hmmm. The two worst Connery Bond films in a face off. It's not really who deserves to win, but who deserves to lose, but I have to pick one. Well, I have to go with YOLT. Not a fan of either, but there is that great scene with Bond and MP, Little Nellie, and the Ken Adams volcanoe HQ set is fantastic. DAF on the other hand is absolute tripe filled garbage. Literally the only good thing amidst Blofeld in drag, the lack of a revenge tale or IRMA BUNT WHO ACTUALLY KILLED TRACY IN THE FIRST PLACE, and a campy mess is Sean, Lana/Plenty, the fight with Franks, and Shirley. THAT'S IT. Everything else is so devoid of meaning that it doesn't deserve to be a Bond film.
    This one is pretty much a toss-up for me, as I would rank both of them very close to the bottom of a ranking of the series. I guess I'll go with Diamonds Are Forever simply because it's a more entertaining film if one goes into it with the right mindset (such as not viewing it as a sequel to OHMSS, but rather a prequel to the Roger Moore Era that was to arrive shortly thereafter).
  • @ Chuck- I definitely need the mindset to forget OHMSS before I can enjoy DAF for what it is.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ Chuck- I definitely need the mindset to forget OHMSS before I can enjoy DAF for what it is.
    You shouldn't have to do that though. We talk about how every film is crucial to the series and deserves a place in the franchise, and yet we let DAF slip though it failed to meet any expectations and blatantly kissed anything that happened previously in OHMSS goodbye. I refuse to let it slide.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 624
    I don't see why DAF isn't considered a good follow up to OHMSS by many fans. He clearly goes after Blofeld, and M shows Bond was saddened by Tracy's death.

"Sir Donald has convinced the PM otherwise. May I remind you 007, that Blofeld is dead. Finished! The least we can expect from you now is a little *plain*, *solid*, *work*."

- Sir Miles Messervy, Diamonds are Forever (1971)
    I don't see why DAF isn't considered a good follow up to OHMSS by many fans. He clearly goes after Blofeld, and M shows Bond was saddened by Tracy's death.

"Sir Donald has convinced the PM otherwise. May I remind you 007, that Blofeld is dead. Finished! The least we can expect from you now is a little *plain*, *solid*, *work*."

Preach on brother! I can see where people may think that DAF forgot its previous roots in OHMSS, but I agree with you more heavily because of this sole quote right here. It sums up anyone's argument about DAF not being revenge-motivated, and very nicely too. Also, for those who say that DAF is an abomination because it "forgot" OHMSS, let's back-track. Bond assumed that he killed Blofeld in Egypt in the PTS, I mean, it was practically an exact genetic replica of Blofeld after all, at least on the surface. M was the one who, in the quote above, mentioned that 007 needed to move on and continue his work as a double-oh. Thus, he goes on to what he expects to be a smuggling operation, working his way up the pipeline and ultimately reaching who he assumes to be Willard Whyte, and surprise surprise, it's Blofeld! At this point in the movie, he focuses on stopping Blofeld and killing him once and for all, which is exactly what the ending of OHMSS and the PTS of DAF suggested in the first place. Maybe the direction went about it the wrong way and Connery didn't have the edge for revenge like Lazenby would have, but I look past it regardless.
    00Beast wrote:

Preach on brother! I can see where people may think that DAF forgot its previous roots in OHMSS, but I agree with you more heavily because of this sole quote right here. It sums up anyone's argument about DAF not being revenge-motivated, and very nicely too. Also, for those who say that DAF is an abomination because it "forgot" OHMSS, let's back-track. Bond assumed that he killed Blofeld in Egypt in the PTS, I mean, it was practically an exact genetic replica of Blofeld after all, at least on the surface. M was the one who, in the quote above, mentioned that 007 needed to move on and continue his work as a double-oh. Thus, he goes on to what he expects to be a smuggling operation, working his way up the pipeline and ultimately reaching who he assumes to be Willard Whyte, and surprise surprise, it's Blofeld! At this point in the movie, he focuses on stopping Blofeld and killing him once and for all, which is exactly what the ending of OHMSS and the PTS of DAF suggested in the first place. Maybe the direction went about it the wrong way and Connery didn't have the edge for revenge like Lazenby would have, but I look past it regardless.

Oh no, Sean would've handled the revenge well, if there was any. NO IRMA BUNT. Blofeld is the "Charles Manson", but Irma pulled the trigger. That's what upsets me most, besides the mess of a script and the sheer lost opportunity. She doesn't get her dues, only disappearing into the ether, never to be seen again. Now that is an absolute crock.
    00Beast wrote:

Oh no, Sean would've handled the revenge well, if there was any. NO IRMA BUNT. Blofeld is the "Charles Manson", but Irma pulled the trigger. That's what upsets me most, besides the mess of a script and the sheer lost opportunity. She doesn't get her dues, only disappearing into the ether, never to be seen again. Now that is an absolute crock.

Yes, I will agree there. Irma Bunt should have returned so that 007 could have his due revenge. I'd rather have Bunt than Bambi and Thumper whom, while still being somewhat iconic, are rather useless and just there for a gag. I'd rather see a showdown between Bond and Bunt anyday.
    @ Chuck- I definitely need the mindset to forget OHMSS before I can enjoy DAF for what it is.
    You shouldn't have to do that though. We talk about how every film is crucial to the series and deserves a place in the franchise, and yet we let DAF slip though it failed to meet any expectations and blatantly kissed anything that happened previously in OHMSS goodbye. I refuse to let it slide.

I don't disagree with you on that point. I'm simply saying that, when taken strictly on the "merits" (and I use that term loosely in regards to both of these films) of what is contained within the film, I can find more enjoyment out of DAF than I can from YOLT. DAF as a sequel to OHMSS is a complete and utter disaster. YOLT is similar in that respect, as it is a complete disaster of an adaptation of Fleming's novel. I simply can get more enjoyment out of watching a bad sequel to OHMSS than I can in watching what is probably Fleming's second best novel being butchered on the big screen.
    DAF, this is quite hard for me too, the two I like less of Connery...
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    YOLT, even though the movie is quite Boring in the middle part.
    Perfection vs Perfection. Sean at his most powerful, mature awesomeness in both films, but he's uber formidable in DAF, not to mention cool as a cucumber, so I have to vote DAF, the ultimate in escapist 007 fantasy, and the movie that triumphantly launched the post-classic era.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    20-13, still in YOLT's favor.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Diamonds Are Forever; just more entertaining overall for me.
    You Only Live Twice
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    00Beast wrote:

Good points here which I try to concentrate on in my enjoyment of the film. The line that Top Gear speaks of hints at Bond's quest for revenge being fulfilled. Further in the spirit of fairness, he does seem to be preoccupied with killing Blofeld rather than capturing him. But they are just off hand references that mean nothing later on when Bond discovers Blofeld because we never get any real emotional content in a situation that should have tons of it. Not one single line from Bond's mouth in reference to Tracy, nor about promising Blofeld revenge and a day of reckoning, it's all just implied and while it's understood, it is done in a lazy and very unsatisfying way from there on out. Too lighthearted where it should not be. For all the griping about the PTS from FYEO, the end that the implied Blofeld character comes to is far more satisfying than crashing a baffle sub into the side of his cheap looking command headquarters while Tiffany's character continues to get laughs. The script should not be looking for laughs at this point, there had been plenty of that beforehand and it detracts from the moment which is supposed to be serious with Bond's revenge and trying to stop Blofeld's space laser from making Washington DC resemble an ant under a magnifying glass on a summer day. In comparison to QOS, which makes references to Vesper and builds bridges to it's predecessor as clearly as an unfinished script and time constraints on the filming schedule would allow, DAF is an extremely poor followup. In QOS you know Bond is hell bent on getting to Mr. White and at the truth, and you get one of the best finishes in the history of the series with proper closure which can be continued minus the Vesper storyline. Hence why I do not try to think too much about OHMSS while watching this film.

Another great point missing from the script. Unfortunately, OHMSS was Ilse Steppat's last film as she died December 21st, 1969, three days after OHMSS debuted in London. If they had wanted to work her demise in to DAF, that may have been the reason why they did not. I suppose they could have gotten a different actress to play Bunt if they had really wanted to.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    You Only Live Twice easy!
    22-14, still goin' for YOLT.
    IMO, DAF is one of the worst Bond movies, so this is easy:
    - YOLT
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As entertainment, DAF is a sure winner. As a Bond film it's mediocre at best. YOLT wins the round for me. A 60's classic Bond.
    You Only Live Twice

I prefer the overweight, bored and tired Connery to that mishmatch of horse turd DAF
    25-14, DAF is losing horribly.

Deservedly so. >:)

This is true. If there's any film I'd like to see lose (other than GF), it's DAF.

This is true. If there's any film I'd like to see lose (other than GF), it's DAF.

It's about that time, so we'll draw this one to a close since most everyone has voted. So sorry to see DAF lose, I was hoping it would stand up against YOLT, but I guess not! Thanks Agent for tallying those votes, I appreiciate your effort!

All right, here's the next line-up:

A View to a Kill vs. Die Another Day

I have a feeling that DAD will get slaughtered, but let's see anyway!
    Well it's laughable, silly, inept, ridiculous, cringeworthy, inappropraite James Bond, awful characters, terrible Bond girl and embarrassing overall watch VS

laughable, silly, inept, ridiculous, cringeworthy, inappropriate James Bond, awful characters, terrible Bond girl and embarrassing overall watch, all said

I really don't know what to choose here, this should be a draw in all honesty..

I'll go with 1985's AVTAK as the 'winner' of this, it's oh so marginally better I feel somewhere deep inside