Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    You Only Live Twice easily. Yes I know Connery's not at his best but the film is just more lively and fun in general. Diamonds is simply dull with a crap climax that doesn't hold a candle to Twice.
    I'd rather forget either exist, but DAF for me, by the barest of margins. All it comes down to is that I like the Bond girl better.
    Diamonds Are Forever by a fairly large margin, as it has better villains, a more confident/suave/Bondian performance by Sean Connery, better locations, and a better soundtrack. Also, I truly believe that DAF's pacing is much better, whereas YOLT loses me after the Kobe docks and really doesn't pick up again until the volcano finale.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I'm gonna give this one to You Only Live Twice. Somehow, YOLT has been greater than the sum of it's parts for me...Connery's flippancy, the forgettable Bond girls, etc...but somehow it comes together for an enjoyable motion picture, call me crazy. DAF on the other hand is pretty messy. I never liked Charles Grey's Blofeld, Connery (like YOLT) is not really himself, Hamilton's direction is just way to campy and while the the Tiffany Case character started off pretty well, she becomes insufferable by film's end.

10. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
    17. The World Is Not Enough (1999) - 6/10
    18. Diamonds Are Forever (1971) - 5.5/10
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    YOLT for being less of an abomination.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Diamonds Are FOREVAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!

As a whole, it has more going for it than Twice which just looks and sounds good.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    YOLT. Easily.
    Diamonds are Forever for me, Connery is simply inappropriate by this time but it does have some saving graces with Wint and Kidd, Jill St John and some very entertaining action sequences

Connery was more plausible in You Only Live Twice but that's not enough to get a vote, this 1967 release is simply too dull too often, although Nancy Sinatra gives an outstanding song track
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    YOLT, which ties it 5-5.
  • Kerim wrote:
    YOLT for being less of an abomination.

No kidding. YOLT is better only because it isn't DAF.
    Huh lets see. Bored Connery vs. Fat Connery. I'll go with YOLT.
  • This is really hard for me because these are two of my favorite Bond movies and are about equal for me, but I'm going to have to stick with DAF.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    YOLT
    YOLT, even though DAF is good and Connery IMO is better in it.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    Connery was best from DN-TB so both these films are below-par performances. Both have pros and many cons but even though DAF is shoddy at times and a huge let-down after the maginificent OHMSS, there are more laughs to be had in DAF than YOLT and Connery seems to be having more fun in this one and certainly better chemistry with other characters.

DAF
    You only Live Twice. It's plot was easier to follow than DAF which I found a little convuluted. The biggest drawback to YOLT was Bond's supposed surgery to look Japanese but overall that movie had the best plot.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    10-7, for YOLT

A far closer race than the last two.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    2 very good films....... DAF has the edge.
    neither are top of the Connery class but I think if I was going to watch one it would be DAF.
    YOLT wins

List of rankings.
    YOLT - 14.
    DAF - 20.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    John Barry's genius’s or Tom Mankiewicz’s pithy, and so witty, dialogue?

You Only Live Twice
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    royale65 wrote:

You Only Live Twice

Frankly DAF has both the witty dialogue and Barry's genius ;) YOLT has the locations, sets and cinematography though.

royale65 wrote:

You Only Live Twice

Frankly DAF has both the witty dialogue and Barry's genius ;) YOLT has the locations, sets and cinematography though.

And it has Sean noot looking so old. His age made DAF look DAFt...
    12-9, YOLT
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    royale65 wrote:

You Only Live Twice

True, but Diamonds is lacking in both the locations and sets, hence why I've chosen YOLT.

You Only Live Twice
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    YOLT

I know Connery was bored in real life but I don't think it shows. This is a fun film, with the best Blofeld ever, a great lair, a decent plot, and NINJAS!!!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAF

This film at least knows it's a joke.
    You Only Live Twice, defiantly.
  • [
    Kerim wrote:
    JW Pepper wasn't in LALD?
    Eeeep. I meant that he was much, much better and infinitely less cringy in LALD. In LALD he was a hilarious addition to a damn good boat chase, in TMWTGG he was a pointless cameo and the elephant?

YOLT easily beats DAF btw.