Shirley Eaton's Goldfinger audition

zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
edited December 2018 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,311
I recently stumbled over this 1963 film "The Girl Hunters" starring Shirley Eaton. Her first introduction in the movie is a scene where she lies on an inflatable mattress, floating in a pool. This is so reminiscient of her first scene in Goldfinger that I started wondering if Harry Saltzman wanted Guy Hamilton to recreate that particular "view" for Goldfinger.

Shirley-Eaton-2.jpg
bruisedskinnygaur.gif?w=664&h=607

shirley_eaton_lying_on_a_lilo_in_swimming_pool.jpg?w=500&h=369
360degeditorial-405977482-highres.jpg?itok=iAOMkDok%202x

0*5_QZOL1HsGo9ljoB.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

When I checked for the backstory of her casting in "Some Kind of Hero", it says that Harry Salzman was only interested in "her looking nude in gold paint".

Considering the similarities, I think this may be the exact scene that got Saltzman interested in casting her for the golden girl. The timing is also in favor: The Girl Hunters was released a year before Goldfinger.

Check out the scenes in both films, The Girl Hunters at 0:54 minutes, Goldfinger at 0:39 minutes:

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Did not see this when you first posted it. Nice find.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Thanks ;-)
    Sometimes when you dig around what actors/actresses did before they were hired for a Bond movie, surprises come up. This was just such a case. Saltzman (Broccoli?) must have liked her figure and imagined it in gold. Little did he anticipate that he also got one of the "best" Bond girls in tow: funny, smart and with quick wits.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Thanks ;-)
    Sometimes when you dig around what actors/actresses did before they were hired for a Bond movie, surprises come up. This was just such a case. Saltzman (Broccoli?) must have liked her figure and imagined it in gold. Little did he anticipate that he also got one of the "best" Bond girls in tow: funny, smart and with quick wits.

Agreed. She really stole the scenes she was in.
    I'm a huge Mike Hammer fan and love the fact that Shirley is in THE GIRL HUNTERS.

She's great in a classic femme fatale film noir type role.. Mickey Spillane himself plays Mike Hammer, and as a non-actor wasn't too bad. He certainly knew the character inside and out. There are a few moment where could tell he wasn't exactly a professional actor, though, but he's still alright.