Controversial opinions about other movies

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,286
    I find the Batman films very overrated. IMO, they're just the like the other regular superhero flicks, with the exception of some above average action scenes, and Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I love that this group isn't limited to 007. I wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for being a totally chill fan group that doesn't get like militantly violent about talking about things that aren't related to the James Bond franchise.

As for my controversial non 007 movie opinion-I grew up watching gangster movies. Now, I love, love, love The Godfather Trilogy but I hate when people say that it's a gangster movie (I hate even more when people say it's the greatest gangster movie of all time) because in my opinion, The Godfather is about so much more than organized crime. To me, The Godfather is about family, the very serious dynamics about what it means to belong to family in terms of both loyalty and betrayal. It just so happens that in The Godfather, the business the Corleone Family deals in is organized crime. In my opinion, Goodfellas is and always will be the quintessential gangster movie.
    Nice take. Another popular view of the Godfather is that it's a story about the pursuit of the American Dream as seen through the eyes of immigrants and first-generation Americans. That's the beauty of it is it's so much more than a gangster story.

Godfather is my favorite film of all time, but I'll be if Goodfellas isn't also just a masterpiece. It stunned me when I first saw it and its power has never diminished. I've said for a long time that this is a more frightening film experience than the countless horror and thriller films that litter the cinemas almost each weekend.

I have to say something very strange happened the first time I watched Goodfellas and it's something that happens with me whenever I see a film that I find truly amazing and it's something I can't quite explain. For whatever reason the very first time I watched Goodfellas, for whatever reason, it was just meh to me. It wasn't until after very many years of rewatching it that over time it eclipsed the Godfather for me and became like the one true mob movie in my opinion. The same thing happened to me for the Dark Knight, which is one of my favorite movies ever, for whatever reason the first time I watched it I was like, eh, it's pretty good and then after rewatching it time and time again I was like wow okay, this movie is a masterpiece.

Some films grow on you over time and a few viewings. They usually become favourite films. There should be a thread about it (if there isn't already)

For me the best example is Quantum Of Solace. Although I liked it on first viewing I didn't love it. But after more viewings it became my go to Bond film. Now its one of my top ten Bond films. Go figure.
    I love that this group isn't limited to 007. I wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for being a totally chill fan group that doesn't get like militantly violent about talking about things that aren't related to the James Bond franchise.

As for my controversial non 007 movie opinion-I grew up watching gangster movies. Now, I love, love, love The Godfather Trilogy but I hate when people say that it's a gangster movie (I hate even more when people say it's the greatest gangster movie of all time) because in my opinion, The Godfather is about so much more than organized crime. To me, The Godfather is about family, the very serious dynamics about what it means to belong to family in terms of both loyalty and betrayal. It just so happens that in The Godfather, the business the Corleone Family deals in is organized crime. In my opinion, Goodfellas is and always will be the quintessential gangster movie.
    Nice take. Another popular view of the Godfather is that it's a story about the pursuit of the American Dream as seen through the eyes of immigrants and first-generation Americans. That's the beauty of it is it's so much more than a gangster story.

Godfather is my favorite film of all time, but I'll be if Goodfellas isn't also just a masterpiece. It stunned me when I first saw it and its power has never diminished. I've said for a long time that this is a more frightening film experience than the countless horror and thriller films that litter the cinemas almost each weekend.

I have to say something very strange happened the first time I watched Goodfellas and it's something that happens with me whenever I see a film that I find truly amazing and it's something I can't quite explain. For whatever reason the very first time I watched Goodfellas, for whatever reason, it was just meh to me. It wasn't until after very many years of rewatching it that over time it eclipsed the Godfather for me and became like the one true mob movie in my opinion. The same thing happened to me for the Dark Knight, which is one of my favorite movies ever, for whatever reason the first time I watched it I was like, eh, it's pretty good and then after rewatching it time and time again I was like wow okay, this movie is a masterpiece.

Some films grow on you over time and a few viewings. They usually become favourite films. There should be a thread about it (if there isn't already)

For me the best example is Quantum Of Solace. Although I liked it on first viewing I didn't love it. But after more viewings it became my go to Bond film. Now its one of my top ten Bond films. Go figure.
    Nothing strange about that. I too liked QOS first time but didn't love it. The editing threw me a bit. Now I love the film! And I wouldnt have the editing any other way. It was on telly the other night. I switched over just as Bond meets Greene and his gang at the bottom of the stairs at the Opera. Great moment among lots of others!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

Nothing strange about that. I too liked QOS first time but didn't love it. The editing threw me a bit. Now I love the film! And I wouldnt have the editing any other way. It was on telly the other night. I switched over just as Bond meets Greene and his gang at the bottom of the stairs at the Opera. Great moment among lots of others!

Yeah I don't understand the hat Quantum gets honestly. I mean, sure, it and SPECTRE are the weaker of Craig's films but Quantum is still better than a lot of the other Bond films before it. Someone told me once Quantum was as bad as Brosnan's Bond and that's just not true-first of all, I loved Brosnan's Bond, even if the films didn't exactly match up with his potential for playing the character, second of all, Quantum alone is still better than Die Another Day, Octopussy, Diamonds are Forever, etc
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Total Recall with Colin Farrell is far better than the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Total Recall with Colin Farrell is far better than the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

@Thunderfinger ... uh... you will be terminated for this blasphemy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ooof. I thought it was just as bad as that 2014 Robocop remake.
    The Indiana Jones films are very overrated. So is Jaws, and in fact most of Spielberg´s films.
    jobo wrote: »
    The Indiana Jones films are very overrated. So is Jaws, and in fact most of Spielberg´s films.

I think I can somewhat agree with this. Never been much of an Indy fan, and as for Spielberg's other films, I guess most of them don't interest me because of genre's or plots.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wow!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I can't agree. I have yet to see anything by Spielberg that lets me down. Stuff like Close Encounters, Duel, Catch Me If You Can, E.T., Temple Of Doom, ... receives tons of praise from me. Even his more controversial films, like Skull, War Of The Worlds, The Lost World, War Horse, ... isn't nearly as bad in my book as many make it out to be. Spielberg has always been an easy target for critics but he and Lucas shaped my youth.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 684
    Ebert liked it, too. Although I'm not sure better than the original.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Ooof. I thought it was just as bad as that 2014 Robocop remake.
    So did Verhoeven. There is apparently a Starship Troopers remake in the works now as well. It'll be interesting to see if they suck the satire out of it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Spielberg has always been an easy target for critics...
    I think part of that is resentment of the effect his films have had on Hollywood. But he's the real deal, never mind the imitators. He gets caught in the 'cross ire.'
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited October 2018 Posts: 2,730

I think he’s the most overrated director.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I can't agree. I have yet to see anything by Spielberg that lets me down. Stuff like Close Encounters, Duel, Catch Me If You Can, E.T., Temple Of Doom, ... receives tons of praise from me. Even his more controversial films, like Skull, War Of The Worlds, The Lost World, War Horse, ... isn't nearly as bad in my book as many make it out to be. Spielberg has always been an easy target for critics but he and Lucas shaped my youth.

- "Spielberg has always been an easy target for critics"

I wasn't aware of that. My impression was that my stated opinion was indeed very controversial.

That being said, if Raiders or Cruzades popped up on television a sunday night, I would most likely watch ut to the end. I just don't think they are the faultless masterpieces they are often described as by movie fans around the world.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I like Raiders but have always found it vastly overrated.

Spielberg's best film is Minority Report.
    I like Raiders but have always found it vastly overrated.

Spielberg's best film is Minority Report.

I actually found Minority Report vastly overrated. I saw it when it came out with great anticipation and was underwhelmed. Watched again to see if my opinion changed when it came to cable and felt the same. Nothing particularly stood out there and overlong.

Another Spielberg I thought was just meh was AI. I went into it with a lot of high expectations due to the Kubrick connection and came out underwhelmed. A lot of good ideas and moments but it as a whole it comes up short. I can't put my finger on just why.

Certainly controversial opinions about Spielberg being overrated.

Along with George Lucas he sparked my interest in cinema as a youngster and with Jaws practically invented the 'event' movie. And what a run he had in the 70's and 80's. Apart from 1941 he made 4 bonafide classics, and all massive hits. Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders and E.T

He will always for me be one of the greatest directors of all time.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Spielberg is one director that never disappointed me, regardless of subject. He never failed to entertain me. My definition of "overrated" applies to people like Christopher Nolan and most of all James Cameron. While I like some of their work, the former has written "pretentiousness" all over his forehead, and the other is just making kitschy, overblown stuff like The Abyss, Titanic and Dances With Smurfs, aka Avatar. Give me the 13th viewing of Jaws and the 23rd of Indy any time instead.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    My definition of "overrated" applies to people like Christopher Nolan and most of all James Cameron. While I like some of their work, the former has written "pretentiousness" all over his forehead, and the other is just making kitschy, overblown stuff like The Abyss, Titanic and Dances With Smurfs, aka Avatar.

This is something I agree with – 100%. Avatar is possibly one of the worst films I've seen; didn't get why people enjoyed it at all. I also hope Nolan never gets anywhere near the Bond series. Pretentiousness doesn't suit Bond at all, and I feel Nolan's films are packed with it.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,818
    My definition of "overrated" applies to people like Christopher Nolan and most of all James Cameron. While I like some of their work, the former has written "pretentiousness" all over his forehead, and the other is just making kitschy, overblown stuff like The Abyss, Titanic and Dances With Smurfs, aka Avatar.

This is something I agree with – 100%. Avatar is possibly one of the worst films I've seen; didn't get why people enjoyed it at all. I also hope Nolan never gets anywhere near the Bond series. Pretentiousness doesn't suit Bond at all, and I feel Nolan's films are packed with it.

I hate AVATAR with a passion. It's overrated crap. I won't even give the respect of putting it's title in "bold" font as I type this post.
    To me, James Cameron is criminally overrated. I'll go as far to say I prefer 1991's THE ROCKETEER to T2 by a mile. I prefer TND to Titanic as well.

In fact, Titanic, doesn't hold up 21 years later. The CGI effects are astoundingly laughable. Obviously filmed in front of a green screen. I think the flying effects in Cannon's budget reduced SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (1987) were far more convincing.

As for Nolan, I'm not a huge fan of TDK trilogy. I liked BB well enough as it's follow up, but I didn't bother seeing the 3rd one. At 3 hours long or whatever, I just didn't want to sit through it.
    I personally don't understand the obsession of Nolan doing Bond. Sure he's a Bond fan. But then again, so is Tom Hanks. I wouldn't want Hanks cast as Bond. If Nolan were doing a new adaptation of a Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer novel for the big screen, I'd be all for it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Good to find mates in a "controversial" thread...which of course doesn't mean our opinions should be universal instead. As for your feelings about the Batman trilogy, I totally share them. Batman Begins was great. When I first watched it (alone, on Blu-ray) I told my wife afterwards, hey, you gotta watch this, it's not just a great Batman movie, but a great movie, period.

Too bad the two following, IMO, deteriorated badly. OK, not catastrophically. But they were worse for me as opposed to BB. And overall, I still prefer the Tim Burton Batman movies as compared to the Nolans.

And don't get me started on Interstellar. The one thing that Nolan did totally right was Memento.
    Some time I might watch the 3rd Nolan Batman film to see what I missed.
    I did enjoy Memento. Had a neo-noir vibe I liked.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I hate AVATAR with a passion. It's overrated crap. I won't even give the respect of putting it's title in "bold" font as I type this post.

It's great to see other people who thinks the same about Avatar! I remember people talking about the film around the time it was released as "one of the greatest things I've seen on screen" etc. Still very strange to think about several years later.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As for Nolan, I'm not a huge fan of TDK trilogy. I liked BB well enough as it's follow up, but I didn't bother seeing the 3rd one. At 3 hours long or whatever, I just didn't want to sit through it.
    I personally don't understand the obsession of Nolan doing Bond. Sure he's a Bond fan. But then again, so is Tom Hanks. I wouldn't want Hanks cast as Bond. If Nolan were doing a new adaptation of a Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer novel for the big screen, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, the TDK trilogy is a mixed bag for me. BB was decent enough, and TDK was only worth watching for Heath Ledger's performance, IMO. TDKR was just crap, and only highlighted the things I dislike about Nolan's films.

Agree with Memento though; that film was quite good. Only shows that small budgets doesn't hurt the quality of the film.
    I don't think hating Avatar is controversial at all. What a travesty it is!
    Certainly controversial to call James Cameron overrated. Surely on of the best action directors in the history of cinema.

I agree on Titanic being a silly overblown effort. But I really like Avatar for all its unoriginal plot shenanigans, it's still a stunning film.

But no one can argue against The Terminator, T2 and Aliens being brilliant offerings.

I also love The Abyss and True Lies although they do have faults.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gravity was a terrible over hyped movie. I was bored the whole time.
  • peterpeter Toronto

yep!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Terrible film
    Certainly controversial to call James Cameron overrated. Surely on of the best action directors in the history of cinema.

I agree on Titanic being a silly overblown effort. But I really like Avatar for all its unoriginal plot shenanigans, it's still a stunning film.

But no one can argue against The Terminator, T2 and Aliens being brilliant offerings.

No one can argue?? I certainly could!

- "Surely one of the best action directors in the history of cinema"

That one made me laugh! ;))

No one can argue?? I certainly could!

- "Surely one of the best action directors in the history of cinema"

That one made me laugh! ;))

I disagree with you too on Cameron he is a director that has changed a lot in cinematic perspective, while AVATAR might be not the best movie, visually in 3D is was flabergasting.
    The same with his advantages on the SFX with Terminator 1 & 2, The Abyss and Aliens, they changed the face of moviemaking.

As for the effects on Titanic they were brilliant and still look good and still better than most effect movies deliver.

A James Cameron movie is sure cinema visit because his movies are bets enjoyed on the big screen in my humble opinion.

James Cameron has another aspect in cinema that has yet been overlooked by many Naysayers. His recent movies have the abilty to draw men and women to the cinema and hence his huge profits with his last two movies.
    James Cameron always has strong women in his movies which is why my daughters and quite a few women I know will always watch his movies because the women in his movies actually get equal parts instead of hanging on the hero.

So his movies are not overrated by well rated by his audiences and I am looking forward to AVATAR 2 and his further aquatic outings which is his hobby I believe.