The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 073</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Turning Jaws into a comedic character in MR was a mistake.</b></font>

Ah yes, I've been waiting for this one! I heavily agree with this thesis. TSWLM's interpretation of Jaws has him to be a feared beast of a man who leaves a trail of dead bodies in his wake, all with a signature throat ripping to signify the murderer. He was effecient, obediant, and most of all, nearly unbeatable. Just when we have Jaws live to die another day, Moonraker comes along and ruins an otherwise splendid, classic henchman by taking away all of his fearsome cruelty and throwing him into a comic book world of cheesy camp. It's a shame that he didn't return in FYEO to salvage some of his shredded reputation! Then again, maybe we got lucky to have had him drop out after MR!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Turning Jaws into a comedic character in MR was a mistake.</b></font>

Disagree. It suits the more lighthearted atmosphere of MR just fine. I wouldn't want every henchman to turn out like this but as an exception for the most OTT and comical of the Bond films it's fine with me.

Agreed. True he was a cartoon character in Spy but they pushed it a bit too far in MR.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Ah yes, I've been waiting for this one! I heavily agree with this thesis. TSWLM's interpretation of Jaws has him to be a feared beast of a man who leaves a trail of dead bodies in his wake, all with a signature throat ripping to signify the murderer. He was effecient, obediant, and most of all, nearly unbeatable. Just when we have Jaws live to die another day, Moonraker comes along and ruins an otherwise splendid, classic henchman by taking away all of his fearsome cruelty and throwing him into a comic book world of cheesy camp. It's a shame that he didn't return in FYEO to salvage some of his shredded reputation! Then again, maybe we got lucky to have had him drop out after MR!

Best post of the day! And very much seconded by this fellow.

Definitley, really poor use of a classic henchman, definitley a "what were they thinking" moment!
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 074</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Caroline Bliss could have returned for GE.</b></font>
    She could have, yes. And if Dalton had done GE, I think she would have.
    I don't know, she is pretty forgetable, while Samantha Bond did leave a much better impression.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2012 Posts: 4,460
    Mabey one of the failers of the Dalton era is be that Lois Maxwell don't return.
    Eon ask her back, Lois Maxwell feels after 3 Bond actors it be enough for her.

I think Bliss indeed can have return for GE, but then we miss the better fit for the Brosnan era Samantha Bond. On the old forums i made a thread with the quistion or Caroline Bliss be option now to play Moneypenny as replacement of Samantha Bond. Caroline Bliss is from 1961 and that mean she is now 51/52 years old.
    Maybe she could have returned, I don't see why not, I think she was criminally underused in the two films she was in, maybe because Timmy couldn't flirt his way out of a paper bag?
    @M_Balje, Lois was 60 in 1987. Playing the part against a 41 year old Bond might have been a trifle odd, no? ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If it meant not having the awful Samantha Bond as Moneypenny, I would have welcomed Janet Cranky. As for Bliss, I would have liked her to have continued as Moneypenny, only if Dalton had stayed on, the way it should have been.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Thesis 074:
    Hmmm interesting! I forgot that those two are just about the same age (and friends off-screen as well)!
    Could have been cool- as Connery, Lazenby & Moore all worked with Maxwell- there's no rule that if you get a new Bond, you also need a new MoneyPenny. I say sure! I liked Samantha Bond just fine, but Bliss (like Dalton) got far too little screen time

Of course you know me- I'd want Dalton back for GoldenEye as well ;)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 074</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Caroline Bliss could have returned for GE.</b></font>

Agreed. I find Samantha Bond highly overrated.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited April 2012 Posts: 2,629
    If you thought some of Samantha Bond's lines made your skin crawl off and hide, it would have even more awkward for Caroline to deliver them.

I think Caroline could have stayed on, but her character would have had to have been re-written. In retrospect, that would have been for the best. Who knows, maybe Caroline could have gotten Pierce over to her place to listen to her Michael Bolton CD collection.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I agree, she really didn't have time to shine in Bond and I'd have liked to see her return along with Robert Brown's M.
    Agree, however i did really enjoy samantha bond as moneypenny though.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Agree with this thesis. I gotta wonder how Richard Keil thought about the departure of the character

We should check out his website. I don't know if his comments on that would be there. I think he really appreciates the popularity of his character. Bond is by far the highlight of his career. I don't know if he has an autobiography out ...

I think Kiel probably leapt at the chance without giving a toss about the script. I dont think hes ever been exactly snowed under with offers of work.

His website is pretty tragic and reads like something from Gervais's Extras. Just look at how many worthless free gifts you get when you buy his book!

It was probably on the strength of his MR fame that he got the Shredded Wheat advert as well.

And this is not even supposed to be a comedy as far as I can tell:

Genius! Why did we never get that show over here? Presumably they tried for little Herve V first but had to go for the next best option when they found out he was dead. I bet they had the same disappointment with Sakata as well.

When you bear in mind this is Richards career with MR on his CV, I for one would not be prepared to deny the bloke these little avenues of income in his declining years. Good luck to you Richard.
    Yes, Bliss could play Moneypenny with Brosnan, or maybe even in CR and QOS.
    Bond looks a little worse for Moneypenny, and what would be with her!?
    Caroline Bliss was a decent Moneypenny, but Brosnan's Bond with Bond's (haha) Moneypenny was just too good. I think that Bliss and Brosnan wouldn't have seemed as convincing.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Bliss never really made enough of an impression with me to warrent her returning after a nearly 6 and a half year gap. Then again it all depended on how she aged and looked at the time. But I got the impression that they were trying to distance themselves from the Dalton films and casting a new Moneypenny and M were part of that.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    NO!! She was absolutely dreadful! Thank god for Samantha Bond - at least she had a bit more of a feisteness and could actually...act a bit. I'm being a bit hard on Bliss I know but is it any wonder we've not seen her at all on the TV over the years.

Anyone who thinks CB is a better Moneypenny than SB is seriously deluded ;) Sorry but its a fact. I showed my parents the scenes between Dalton/Bliss and Brosnan/Bond and they both agreed the latter was easily the more convincing. Every single bloomin' time I hear that "Barry Manilow" line I crindge

Fair enough if people think Dalton is better than Brosnan but to say that Bliss should have replaced Bond in GE is just X( ~X( ~X( ~X(

I <3 Samantha Bond (and I say that as a man) :x :x :x ~
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 278
    Bliss was wet!!?x
    Samantha Bond is/was hot, and played well against PB's Bond! :-B
    I like SB much more, but I think CB did allright too.
    MrEon wrote:
    Bliss was wet!!?x
    Samantha Bond is/was hot, and played well against PB's Bond! :-B

Really?

:-?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Sure, why not? But please no more "Barry Manilow collection" please!!! ~X(
    BAIN123 wrote:
    NO!! She was absolutely dreadful! Thank god for Samantha Bond - at least she had a bit more of a feisteness and could actually...act a bit. I'm being a bit hard on Bliss I know but is it any wonder we've not seen her at all on the TV over the years.

Anyone who thinks CB is a better Moneypenny than SB is seriously deluded ;) Sorry but its a fact. I showed my parents the scenes between Dalton/Bliss and Brosnan/Bond and they both agreed the latter was easily the more convincing. Every single bloomin' time I hear that "Barry Manilow" line I crindge

Fair enough if people think Dalton is better than Brosnan but to say that Bliss should have replaced Bond in GE is just X( ~X( ~X( ~X(

Are your parents the new yardstick for quality?
    Seriously considering a notion for removal of the 'smiley' features.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Seriously considering a notion for removal of the 'smiley' features.

I don't even know how to do half the ones people use on here.
    MrEon wrote:
    Bliss was wet!!?x

:D

074- She could've done but I think things worked fine with Samantha Bond. I would've liked Robert Brown to stay on as M for 2 more films though.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Are your parents the new yardstick for quality?

Yeah...they are ;)