What are you reading?

Comments

Thunderball. Excellent read.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Best part of that is Blofeld s backstory, which was somewhat reflected in SP.
    The Casebook of Carnaki the Ghost Finder by W.H. Hodgson. I’m already in my Halloween reads. Carnaki is the father of both lovecraftian horror and... Scooby Doo.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Best part of that is Blofeld s backstory, which was somewhat reflected in SP.

Seconded. I love those two chapters introducing the leader of SPECTRE and hope to one day complete an article specifically on Blofeld in Thunderball.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. Been on my TBR pile for a while (not as long as some!), about quarter of the way thru so far and really quite enjoying it.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,622
    Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. Been on my TBR pile for a while (not as long as some!), about quarter of the way thru so far and really quite enjoying it.

Not. a bad read. I ploughed through it in fairly short order. Not surprisingly, I think it reads like the son wrote most of it.
    But King's next book, The Outsider, reads very much like the father. I noticed the difference right away.
    The Outsider deftly re-connects with The Hodges Trilogy as well and sets up nicely for future books with the surviving Hodges crew and new characters from The Outsider.

• Hmm. I enjoyed the Hodges trilogy. I may just have to check out The Outsider.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds, in prep for the BBC's upcoming three part adaptation.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    It's Read A Book Day, apparently!

I'm reading this, which is relevant to several of my interests:

940620.jpg
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,622
    I'm almost done the third installment in Jason Matthews Red Sparrow trilogy, The Kremlin's Candidate (2018).
    This is exciting contempory spy fare. Matthews is a retired officer of the CIA's Operations Directorate with a 33 year career serving in multiple overseas locations.
    The series is rife with modern tradecraft.
    Being ex-CIA, you figure he is still on the job, as no-one ever fully leaves. An operational world view is apparent in the book.
    Matthews is not impressed with the politicization of the top levels of intelligence administration, preferring the DCI be elevated from within the ranks, as opposed to being a dropped-in outsider with political masters.
    Putin's Russia has positioned a long burrowed government mole to be appointed new DCI.
    Matthews CIA agents, including the Russian double Red Sparrow, who is now one of Putin's top operatives, are working feverishly to expose the mole and prevent this calamity.
    Putin's Russia is portrayed as every bit as ruthless as the old Soviet, as are the nasty Chinese operatives.
    Matthews even tosses in a couple of Bond references.
    Jennifer Lawrence did a decent job in the Red Sparrow film, but still I am continually picturing Gal Gadot as Sparrow.
    Probably because Gadot is closer to Red Sparrow's stunning looks, and formidable physicality, as seen in her Wonder Woman performances.
    Not that Sparrow can do what Wonder Woman does, but she is very lethal.
    Also Gadot's relationship with the Chris Pine character in Wonder Woman does remind of the Dominika Agent Nash relationship in Sparrow.
    product_9782070212125_195x320.jpg

1936. Brilliant.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    cover.gif
    L ETRANGER (1942) by Albert Camus.

Another good one.
    MARS by Percival Lowell.

A collection of four essays published in 1895.
    content
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Studying Latin, are we? :) Very interesting. I took Latin classes from age 12 to 18. Haven't regretted doing that even once. Half the English vocabulary descends from Latin.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Studying Latin, are we? :) Very interesting. I took Latin classes from age 12 to 18. Haven't regretted doing that even once. Half the English vocabulary descends from Latin.

I studied a little Latin at A Level and Degree it cropped up in English and English Literiture modules, I was not particularly good at grasping it then.

I found the book on Amazon Kindle so bought it for personal study, the language has always fascinated me I think I'll do better this time. :)
    MAYA (2011) by Isabel Allende.
  • MARS by Percival Lowell.

A collection of four essays published in 1895.
    content

@Thunderfinger, how was Mars? Come to any interesting conclusions about our ruddy neighbor? You seem to have shot through that in a few hours.

giphy.gif
    There is compelling evidence for an atmosphere there.
  • There is compelling evidence for an atmosphere there.

Great news!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There is compelling evidence for an atmosphere there.

Albeit a very thin one.
    THOUGHT FORMS (1901) by Annie Besant and C.W. Leadbeter. 1905 edition.
    3a9fbdb723540aeb631ea672d0dc2cab.jpg
    BLÅMANN (1959) by Jens Bjørneboe.
    POWER AND USE OF THOUGHT (1911) by C. W. Leadbeter.
  • 51b-TcR171L.jpg

Book 2 of the Sea Wolf saga, a WWII action-adventure series about a U-boat officer. (#2 covers the invasion of Norway in 1940.)
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    51b-TcR171L.jpg

Book 2 of the Sea Wolf saga, a WWII action-adventure series about a U-boat officer. (#2 covers the invasion of Norway in 1940.)

Interesting. Which places and events does the book cover?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 615
    I'm only on the 2nd book (Norway, April 1940)... The series has a total of eight titles and apparently extends to 1942-43 (North Atlantic, Mediterranean, U.S. east coast)...
    https://bookseriesinorder.com/bruno-krauss/
    THOUGHT POWER-ITS CONTROL AND CULTURE (1901) by Annie Besant.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    I'm only on the 2nd book (Norway, April 1940)... The series has a total of eight titles and apparently extends to 1942-43 (North Atlantic, Mediterranean, U.S. east coast)...
    https://bookseriesinorder.com/bruno-krauss/

Keep us informed about the places the book mentions! My grandfather happened to be in the town of Narvik when the Germans came to the place in April 1940.
    The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. I'm reading horror in the upcoming weeks to Halloween.