The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 072</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>LALD cheated with the watch turning into a sawing blade during the film's climax.</b></font>

Yep it's one that's always bothered me. Up untill that point we the audience knew what Bonds gadgets did. With the watch turning into a buzz saw they cheated us.
    Yet another poor directorial decision from Guy Hamilton.
    Can't agree with thesis, I mean I took no issue with it whatsoever, don't know what the furore is about

Maybe I can see peoples frustrations to an extent with this but it's such a minor problem for me I can't really find any true fault with it. I think watching the movie and getting caught up in the action and when it actually occurs, maybe we weren't aware of this little extra beforehand, but it's over in like seconds and all said, until this was even mentioned, well it doesn't bother me or anything

The only real issue I'd take about that sequence was it was all a bit lame, poor fight with Kananga, and lo and behold the character blows up like a balloon and explodes on the ceiling. That's my main bone of contention with what happens about this time in the film, I mean it's just damn stupid whenever you watch it
    Can't agree with thesis, I mean I took no issue with it whatsoever, don't know what the furore is about

Maybe I can see peoples frustrations to an extent with this but it's such a minor problem for me I can't really find any true fault with it. I think watching the movie and getting caught up in the action and when it actually occurs, maybe we weren't aware of this little extra beforehand, but it's over in like seconds and all said, until this was even mentioned, well it doesn't bother me or anything

The only real issue I'd take about that sequence was it was all a bit lame, poor fight with Kananga, and lo and behold the character blows up like a balloon and explodes on the ceiling. That's my main bone of contention with what happens about this time in the film, I mean it's just damn stupid whenever you watch it

I completely agree, the saw doesn't bother me but the sequence as a whole does.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Meh, there's been far worse uses of gadgets than the watch saw blade.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The thing is that in screenwriting 101, you don't suddenly introduce new elements in the third act of the film. Unless the blade was explained or demonstrated along with the other features in the appropriate scene in first act, any further use of it is unjustified. I agree with the thesis.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The thing is that in screenwriting 101, you don't suddenly introduce new elements in the third act of the film. Unless the blade was explained or demonstrated along with the other features in the appropriate scene in first act, any further use of it is unjustified. I agree with the thesis.

Yeah but they didn't do that in GE did they with the lazer Rolex?

AH-HA ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yeah but they didn't do that in GE did they with the lazer Rolex?

AH-HA ;)

Agreed. That doesn't make the case for LALD though. ;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I do agree with the thesis, I think th ending of that film was all a bit too easy.
    When you know what the gadgets are? Then like the ejector seat in GF? You know whats coming! Sometimes it works and possibly sometimes it doesn,t. I would rather there be more surprise gadgets just to add to the whole spectacle!
    Never bugged me too much- I guess he could have used the magnet to grab a pocketknife sitting on the table or something, but I guess this is no big deal compared to how Rog ended up killing Kananga.... ugh....
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    The thing is Bond has always had hidden gadgets everywhere. There are plenty of instances where Bond untilizes a piece of equipment that wasn't introduced to us by Q before hand. I'll agree that the buzz saw is a bit too convenient but it doesn't bother me that much.
    Other than GE (the rolex watch) what other examples are there out of interest?

Off the top of my head I've just thought of the Crocodile from OP. Any more?
    BAIN123 wrote:

In AVTAK Bond utilizes a bunch of gadgets at Zorin's party that weren't introduced to us.

How about in MR when Bond and Dr. Goodhead about to be burned to death in that chamber and Bond uses an explosive string detonated by his watch to get out.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

In AVTAK Bond utilizes a bunch of gadgets at Zorin's party that weren't introduced to us.

How about in MR when Bond and Dr. Goodhead about to be burned to death in that chamber and Bond uses an explosive string detonated by his watch to get out.

Ah, good examples :)

What about TWINE with the glasses/detonator?

I know there's others but I'm just trying to think lol.
    But what we're all forgetting is that the watch in LALD WAS shown to us in the first act as a magnet and just a magnet. Bond's watch in GE wasn't shown to us at all before the train scene. So in GE it's a plot device. In LALD, it's a cheap trick and lazy writing/direction
    What about later in GE where we see the same watch Bond used as a laser also used as a detonatator to the explosives Bond placed on the tanks.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    By BB, I assume you mean Barabara Broccoli!!!

.....yes you are correct!!! BB = Barbara Broccoli. :-B
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 073</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Turning Jaws into a comedic character in MR was a mistake.</b></font>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Agreed. They could have gone in another direction and kept him more truly threatening and scary, actually increasing that tension - and still have humor in other areas of the film. Not have him at all in MR but have him show up in FYEO as a surprise villain. Just thinking this through as I type ...
    Agree. Although the lighthearted moments in TSWLM were amusing? Jaws still remained the enemy. They should have stuck with it when they brought him back.
    Agree. It's the reason I don't like MR very much. I can get past the whole space thing, Moore's films were all about OTT stuff, but what they did to Jaws...
    Mistake? No, no, no, no!
  • Big mistake. He should have died in TSWLM.
    I never really understand this complaint. I kinda always saw him as more or less a comical character in TSWLM. They just cranked it up in MR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hate it and it's painful to see, but it unfortunately fits with the Moore era.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The public wanted it but like many things in Moonraker, it wasn't needed. Apart from the space scenes you had the making of a good film there.
    Agree with this thesis. I gotta wonder how Richard Keil thought about the departure of the character
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Agree with this thesis. I gotta wonder how Richard Keil thought about the departure of the character

We should check out his website. I don't know if his comments on that would be there. I think he really appreciates the popularity of his character. Bond is by far the highlight of his career. I don't know if he has an autobiography out ...
    I never really understand this complaint. I kinda always saw him as more or less a comical character in TSWLM. They just cranked it up in MR.

Agreed with this statement. Jaws was never a really believable character.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 073</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Turning Jaws into a comedic character in MR was a mistake.</b></font>

This statement cannot be disputed. If you try to dispute it, you will fail miserably.