MGW - "Daniel Craig plays Bond like Connery"

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond most definitely is an anti-hero. In an early review of Dr No one critic pointed out that he could barely distinguish the heros from the villains. Milder now for sure, but Bond's methods were never in line with the classic cinematic heroes of the time.
  • i think that sean connery is billions of miles better than daniel craig
    Bond sleeps with women then alot of them later get killed and he doesn't seem to care, in most of his car chases he destroys something, and he kills tons of henchmen (watch austin powers to see that henchmen aren't always bad ;) ), Bond is an anti hero.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Bond sleeps with women then alot of them later get killed and he doesn't seem to care, in most of his car chases he destroys something, and he kills tons of henchmen (watch austin powers to see that henchmen aren't always bad ;) ), Bond is an anti hero.

You just summed it up quite beautifully :)>-
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

A hero sometimes must kill to get the villain, and that is the reality of it. The argument is supported by Bond not being able to distinguish the heros from the villains in his talk with Mathis at the near end of CR.
  • Craig is reminiscent of Sir Sean in some ways but not quite there yet. That's what makes Skyfall so interesting to me, to see if his straight portrayal of the Bond character as we are used to and not as a rookie will compare. The scene in QOS that O'Brady alludes to backs upwhat I have continued to say, that you can't pronounce judgment on Craig on his first two movies until you see him in the more proper portrayal we are supposedly, and I think we will. get in November. Dalton also showed a lot of Connery-like qualities in both of his films. A very big difference to me missing thus far is the humorous one liner element. Both Craig and Dalton had a few good ones, but Craig seems to be more natural in this than Dalton was. The only Bond who was as good with the quips as Sean would definitely be Sir Roger, true to his good nature to begin with.

No series actor has yet to elevate themselves to Sean's level, and probably never will, but Craig has the acting skills to do it. He is one of the great actors of his generation.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Craig is reminiscent of Sir Sean in some ways but not quite there yet. That's what makes Skyfall so interesting to me, to see if his straight portrayal of the Bond character as we are used to and not as a rookie will compare. The scene in QOS that O'Brady alludes to backs upwhat I have continued to say, that you can't pronounce judgment on Craig on his first two movies until you see him in the more proper portrayal we are supposedly, and I think we will. get in November. Dalton also showed a lot of Connery-like qualities in both of his films. A very big difference to me missing thus far is the humorous one liner element. Both Craig and Dalton had a few good ones, but Craig seems to be more natural in this than Dalton was. The only Bond who was as good with the quips as Sean would definitely be Sir Roger, true to his good nature to begin with.

No series actor has yet to elevate themselves to Sean's level, and probably never will, but Craig has the acting skills to do it. He is one of the great actors of his generation.

I agree with everything you stated.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To cut a long story short, if anyone wants to see how Craig really compares to Connery, give the man a straight Bond adventure that has FUN qualities to it because as great as Craig is and as well received both of Craig's Bond movies have been, they're no Dr.No, FRWL, GF or TB. Craig really needs that fun aspect where he can cut loose and relly enjoy himself, having fun with the role.
    doubleoego wrote:
    To cut a long story short, if anyone wants to see how Craig really compares to Connery, give the man a straight Bond adventure that has FUN qualities to it because as great as Craig is and as well received both of Craig's Bond movies have been, they're no Dr.No, FRWL, GF or TB. Craig really needs that fun aspect where he can cut loose and relly enjoy himself, having fun with the role.

I really hope that we will see Craig in at least one movie like this. Hopefully as soon as in SF.
    I actually relate Craig to Dalton the most. Some, or many, would probably disagree.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

I think this is very true. Craig I believe is the most accomplished actor to have played Bond. This should in theory mean Craig can be the best in the Bond role. Maybe this will happen, I think there is a chance of it, at least.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    @ FCWL- I definitely see some merit in Dalton and Craig similarities. I call Sir Sean, Tim, and Daniel the "holy trinity" of Bond actors. They bring the portrayals I like best. Whenever actors such as these three have played Bond, the series is at it's best.

@ Samuel- there is a great chance that Craig can be the second best Bond if Skyfall lives up to being a classic Bond adventure. I'm such a Connery fan that I perish the thought of anyone else being better.
    Anyone being better than Connery IMO is ludicrous and unthinkable. We have Connery and then there is everyone else. Although, Craig IMO takes the number 2 spot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote:
    Anyone being better than Connery IMO is ludicrous and unthinkable. We have Connery and then there is everyone else. Although, Craig IMO takes the number 2 spot.

Connery is the best Bond, Moore is my favorite, thus I rank Moore first :)

Well IMO Connery is the undisputed best and my favourite Bond and it will never ever change.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well IMO Connery is the undisputed best and my favourite Bond and it will never ever change.

I'm always hoping someone will be beat him and believe there's a chance it can happen. Connery, is only the best so far, in my view.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 154
    I agree with @Samuel001
    It is still kinda of sad that no one as been a better Bond then Connery. He is my favourite Bond and he was perfect, but I always wished that some Bond actor could be better then him.It happened with Brosnan and Craig, but he still has a chance. I mean Craig has great potential. He is already my number 2 , not that it matters. I think he still has a chance.I hope, with Skyfall.
    Well, after 50 years and 5 other actors to follow him and for him to still be universally regarded as the best I don't see that changing any time soon. I'm 27 and I honestly believe we'll have close contenders but no one to actually surpass him at least not in my life time.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well, after 50 years and 5 other actors to follow him and for him to still be universally regarded as the best I don't see that changing any time soon. I'm 27 and I honestly believe we'll have close contenders but no one to actually surpass him at least not in my life time.

Like I said..... Thats kind of sad.Maybe true

Connery was beaten a long, long time ago. In 1987, by a man called Timothy Dalton.

I also think Brosnan was equal to Connery. But nobody has topped Dalton yet.
    Keep dreaming, pal.
    Connery was beaten a long, long time ago. In 1987, by a man called Timothy Dalton.

You are a very funny person or have no taste. ;)

The Connery from the earlier movie is like a cat in movement and oozes sex-appeal. Craig moves a bit like a tank, he is a bit too thuggish for me.

And TD moves a bit stiff and compared with the sex-appeal of the other 007 performers he is a bit stand-offish. He just fails to really convince as a ladies man or even as a actionhero. As an actor he is just not good enough to really make a lasting impression. imho.
    SaintMark wrote:

You are a very funny person or have no taste. ;)

The Connery from the earlier movie is like a cat in movement and oozes sex-appeal. Craig moves a bit like a tank, he is a bit too thuggish for me.

And TD moves a bit stiff and compared with the sex-appeal of the other 007 performers he is a bit stand-offish. He just fails to really convince as a ladies man or even as a actionhero. As an actor he is just not good enough to really make a lasting impression. imho.

Meh, you have your own opinion, and that's mine. I will say WHY I think Dalton is the best though. He came across as really tough, dangerous, and capable of anything. He could be charming one minute and deadly the next, he was cool, used gadgets, cracked the odd one liner, but also managed to be dark, gritty and realistic. Sure, he was stiff sometimes, but not as stiff as alot of people say. Dalton was awesome.

And Connery was also great, because he was the original and had all the great Bond traits. Brosnan was like Connery, he had it all. But neither really nailed it like Dalton (this is all imo).
    What exactly did Dalton nail? Every appraisal you just gave him Connery did it 25 years earlier and significantly better I might add. As for Brosnan, he's nowhere near in the same league as Connery.
    doubleoego wrote:
    What exactly did Dalton nail? Every appraisal you just gave him Connery did it 25 years earlier and significantly better I might add. As for Brosnan, he's nowhere near in the same league as Connery.

Brosnan has his own hair, he beats Connery there. :D
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    doubleoego wrote:

No, I didn't think Connery was as dark and gritty, and Connerys Bond didn't seem as tough to me as Dalton did. Not everyone likes Connery the best. And I think Brosnan was great, just as good as Connery.
    SaintMark wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

:D
    SaintMark wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

=))
    To me, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan come off as having an element of snobbery to them, whereas Lazenby, Craig and Connery come off as guys that would put a round through you as soon as look at you, and to me that...thug element is part of a successful Bond. You have to have that tension to Bond, to not know when the violence is coming, and the latter guys do that, in my opinion.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think Dalton had that thuggish element you talked about @doubleohdad

Anyway, I don't see much Connery in Craig. I think he's a bit of a cross between Lazenby and Dalton. He has Lazenby's toughness in the fight scenes, and a bit of Daltons ruthlessness in other scenes. He does the comedy his own sarcy, dry way, Connery's comedy was based more on one liners.
    Sean Connery is Sean Connery and Daniel Craig is Daniel Craig and never the twain shall meet. O:-)