"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

After the anti-football match that ended the first knockout phase of the tournament two days no football is a blessing.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512
    SaintMark wrote: »
    After the anti-football match that ended the first knockout phase of the tournament two days no football is a blessing.

As we’ve said, Colombia were a disgrace. A systematic, well drilled exercise in cheating. The whole thing rotated through the team - always a different player haranguing the ref, always a different player committing fouls, at one point you can see a player (can’t recall who) trying to destroy the penalty spot. Both bizarre and disgusting. It’s a shame England didn’t face a team who wanted to do at least something, anything, other than cheating - then we might have had a game.

Having watched it back yesterday, we were largely in control, bar the 1st half extra time, post-sucker punch. I’m glad we didn’t rise to the bait.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 1,261
    Yes, Colombia was a disgrace, and Geiger has to be blamed as well, he was far too lenient. For what happened after his penalty decision, he only gave a yellow card for Sanchez, who caused the penalty (and it was a penalty), and one for Henderson. When the Colombians did not stop hassling and attacking him, he should have simply send off one of them. But then they might have behaved even more aggressive, who knows? And what about that Colombian player trying to destroy the penalty spot? And about Henderson, yes, he received a nudge from Barrios, and that was a MUST red card, but then, clutching his face in agony and going down like he was knocked out by Muhammad Ali was too much. I always thought, English players don't do this. And I don't like this, neither on international level nor in the German Bundesliga or any other domestic or international leagues. Later on, Geiger lost it completely, when actually Young fouled a Colombian player and he gave a free kick to England. And the best thing is, Columbia complained about Geiger to have cheated them and that all decisions were in favour of England. I thought, only Argentinians are poor and bad losers, but Columbia was loathsome and disgusting. It was by far the most ill-tempered and ugly match of this World Cup, due to Columbia and bad refereeing. Apart from that, I think the referees in general were very god so far, apart from the Colombian (sic!) guy.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Apparently 150 000 people (presumably Colombians) have signed a petition, they want the match vs England replayed, because Colombia says, they have been cheated out of the match by the ref, claiming that the penalty wasn't a penalty, and that Geiger denied them a good goal. I can't remember, when that was in said match. But, well, in the days of fake news and alternative facts, somethinhg like this is possible.

1949857.main_image.jpg?strip=all&w=620&h=735&crop=1

Man of the match: Jordan Pitchfork, ladies and gentlemen!
    England was lucky that Columbia did overestimate them and did resort to nearly 80 minutes of dramatics. When they started playing they were actually very effective and I am sure having played to their own strength they would have beaten England because they were just not that great.

Winning at penalties is generally luck no real skill involved.

England has yet to show football against a decent opponent, they have not yet shown anything, couldn't handle the dramatics. Geiger did whistle a decent game should have shown card a wee bit earlier, but the FIFA instructions were probably followed. The VAR was spot on in this game.

If Colombia has anybody to blame is not the referee but themselves.

Can somebody check Neymars ancestors I am sure they could be Colombian.
    Colombia was a pack of unbridled hyenas to be sure.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    England was lucky that Columbia did overestimate them and did resort to nearly 80 minutes of dramatics. When they started playing they were actually very effective and I am sure having played to their own strength they would have beaten England because they were just not that great.

England has yet to show football against a decent opponent, they have not yet shown anything, couldn't handle the dramatics. Geiger did whistle a decent game should have shown card a wee bit earlier, but the FIFA instructions were probably followed. The VAR was spot on in this game.

Well, there is a tendency to play to the strengths of your opposition. Yes Colombia began playing better football, but as a result it woke England up in the second half of extra time, and the tide was beginning to turn back to England. If Colombia had played like that from the start you would have seen England respond.

Penalty taking is very much a strength. A player who scores in open play often has no time to think. With penalties it asks more of a player. Don't underestimate them.

England haven't played anyone yet? When Italy won it last, they played no one in the group stage, no one in the last 16 or quarters, finally played Germany in the semis and drew 1-1 (won on penalties), and beat France in the final, drawing 1-1 and winning again on penalties.

That's how it goes sometimes, and if England do get through to the final they got the rub of the green, but no more than previous champions.
    NicNac wrote: »

Well, there is a tendency to play to the strengths of your opposition. Yes Colombia began playing better football, but as a result it woke England up in the second half of extra time, and the tide was beginning to turn back to England. If Colombia had played like that from the start you would have seen England respond.

Penalty taking is very much a strength. A player who scores in open play often has no time to think. With penalties it asks more of a player. Don't underestimate them.

England haven't played anyone yet? When Italy won it last, they played no one in the group stage, no one in the last 16 or quarters, finally played Germany in the semis and drew 1-1 (won on penalties), and beat France in the final, drawing 1-1 and winning again on penalties.

That's how it goes sometimes, and if England do get through to the final they got the rub of the green, but no more than previous champions.

No. Italy did not beat Germany on penalties. They won it with two goals in extra time.
    So they did. Well, it still stands that World Cups have been won thanks to good draws before now.

I think if England get past Sweden they will get to the final. But, getting past Sweden will be the difficult bit.

If they do make the final, they will be underdogs. In fact any one of the 4 in that group will be underdogs to any one of the 4 in the other group.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What's everyone's score predictions for the game between Uruguay and France?
    I think France will be the victors 2-0
    I would tend to agree.

All Europe last 4. Brazil to fall to battling Belgians. :)
    I would tend to agree.

I would tend to agree.

I could cope with that!
    I've got France, Brazil, Croatia and England progressing myself.
    The Brazil v Belgium game could be a stunner. Not sure I can stay up for the 2am kickoff (my time)
    Great header.
    1-0
    Benny wrote: »
    What's everyone's score predictions for the game between Uruguay and France?
    I think France will be the victors 2-0

Have France winning 2-1 in a score prediction game. 1-0, but Uruguay very close!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,450
    Save of his life from Llorris, I backed France to win this in my Fantasy Football Team

@Benny I picked to same four teams to reach the Semi Finals
    2-0 France...30mins to go.
    What happened between Godín and Mbappé?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,450
    Usual South American antics when they are losing

Edited: or winning for that matter
    Looks like Suarez is ready to take a bite out of someone.
    :D
    Looks like Suarez is ready to take a bite out of someone.
    :D

Would be incredible if he did…again!
    Brazil v Belgium up next...2-1???
    I hope Belgium win, but I feel Brazil might just take it.
    Brazil v Belgium up next...2-1???
    I hope Belgium win, but I feel Brazil might just take it.

That's what I'm thinking too. A lucky Brazil goal to make the difference.
  • RC7RC7
    Not a fan of France, but fair play they’re getting the job done. I’d fancy them against Brazil, personally.
    Own goal Brazil! :-O
    Crumbs daft goal to concede
    2-0, De Bruyne!
    Cracker from Debruyne I think thats game over already the way Brazil are playing, and I think Belgium will score again.
  • RC7RC7
    Belgium stepping up. Nice to see.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Yeah fair play to Belgium. Usually see them as underachievers but not here.

Also, I am so not a fan of Fellaini but man he’s doing a job here.