"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

I’m saying nothing. These are the jammy krauts after all.

Think I have to change my Müller captaincy in the WC Fantasy game…
    Oh dear.

Surely Hazard v Panama the only way to go?

Will have to be Lukaku here. Luckily you can switch captains after the round has started!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Mexico should have buried them by now if they knew how to break.

I’m sure Mesut will turn it on in a minute. He generally does when the pressure’s on.
    Germany have been surprisingly naive and weak in their pressing game.
    Assuming all teams beat South Korea, Germany might have to beat Sweden to go through. Which is by no means a given. I wouldn't bet om it, but this could potentially be the great shock of the group stage.
    jobo wrote: »
    Assuming all teams beat South Korea, Germany might have to beat Sweden to go through. Which is by no means a given. I wouldn't bet om it, but this could potentially be the great shock of the group stage.

Sweden will no doubt play a defensive game, trying to make it difficult for the Germans. Will be an interesting match!

Sweden will no doubt play a defensive game, trying to make it difficult for the Germans. Will be an interesting match!

And if Germany's pressing game doesn't improve, Sweden will get opportunities.

And if Germany's pressing game doesn't improve, Sweden will get opportunities.

Imagine Iceland, Sweden and Denmark progressing from the group stages. That would be impressive!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    And that's why they're Brazil.
    Pretty average goal.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Ronaldo continues to maintain a ridiculously high level, best player in the modern era.

Ha ha

Feel like pure shit :( just want *her* back #coutinho
    To be honest that’s the first time I’ve remembered he existed since Jan.

We’re doing fine without him. It’s not as if he can play in goal is it?

Tell you what though he’s been spending a lot of time in Tantastic since he left us though. Looks like he’s auditioning for It Ain’t Half Hot Mum.
    Did anyone clock that in the crowd?

Brazilian fan with an A3 glossy sheet of paper that he sticks his head through and has a Brazil shirt, his name and a Panini logo printed on it.

Absolute genius.
    Did anyone clock that in the crowd?

Brazilian fan with an A3 glossy sheet of paper that he sticks his head through and has a Brazil shirt, his name and a Panini logo printed on it.

Absolute genius.

No, didn't catch that! Hope someone posts images of it online!
    1-1!
    These results are not helping my Fantasy teams, that's for sure!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,500

Tell you what though he’s been spending a lot of time in Tantastic since he left us though. Looks like he’s auditioning for It Ain’t Half Hot Mum.

Eeee what??? Your references are hard to follow some times... ;))
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,500
    So of all the obvious pre favorites, Germany, Brazil, France and Spain (not including Argentina after their horrible qualification campaign) only one managed to win the opening game, and that by the skin of their teeth. That is the great thing about the World Cup. There is always surprises. At least one of the big favorites will fail horribly, and at least one of the teams nobody expected anything from will make an upset. To predict who those are in advance is basically impossible, but I am hoping after today, it's Germany and Mexico respectively. (Mexico is not a minnow obviously but they have a history and reputation of never succeeding in the world cup, and nobody had a reason to believe this was the year it would change).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Considering Mexico's achievement yesterday, the Mexican fan seems a little Flat!... I'll get my coat

Eeee what??? Your references are hard to follow some times... ;))
    I can’t take the blame for your lack of appreciation of casually racist, homophobic and not particularly funny 80s sitcoms now can I old chap!? To be fair you do seem to know your Partridge though so for a foreigner you are exceptionally cultivated!

Considering Mexico's achievement yesterday, the Mexican fan seems a little Flat!... I'll get my coat
    That’s well out of order. Not just your gag but that bloke’s missus. Hope he filed for divorce first thing this morning after that result. To quote Bond himself: ‘The silly bitch’.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,395
    He should have told his wife that he had 'a pressing engagement'
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,295
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    Ridiculous Sir!!

I just imagine a Scotsman saying that about England or vice versa and it’s just wrong.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,295
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    Ridiculous Sir!!

I just imagine a Scotsman saying that about England or vice versa and it’s just wrong.

Guess things are very different between the English and the Scots!

A bit different between Norwegians and Swedes when it comes to winter sports, though.
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    Ridiculous Sir!!

If this was cross country skiing we would be rivals to death! But in football we know how much Scanfinavia is lagging behind, and we tend to support any team that can perform decently.

Do I remember incorrectly, or were there quite a lot of englishmen on here cheering for Wales in the Euroes?
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank you VAR :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    Ridiculous Sir!!

If this was cross country skiing we would be rivals to death! But in football we know how much Scanfinavia is lagging behind, and we tend to support any team that can perform decently.

Do I remember incorrectly, or were there quite a lot of englishmen on here cheering for Wales in the Euroes?

I don't think the English feel the same antagonism towards fellow Brits as they do towards the English. Probably because England dominates in population size, country size and has the British parliament in London.

When the Scots say they want independence from Britain what they mean is they want independence from England.

So, yes we English don't mind the Welsh doing well, even the Irish. The Scots not so much. There's a lot more rivalry between these two countries. But it's been such a long time since Scotland have been any damned good at football that I've personally forgotten all about said rivalries.
    Belgium v Panama I am expecting a cricket score in this game
    Belgium not impressive so far. Is another team people expect to cruise through the group stages going to have problems?

…Golden opportunity for England to put a bit of pressure on the best teams?