The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• I don't have any problems with it. First of all it has to seem natural for the actor who is playing Bond. Connery and Dalton smoked cigs and it seemed natural, Moore and Brosnan had the occasional cigar and it worked for them. I could see Craig with a cigar but cigarettes would seem weird to me.
    That's a good point too-- nothing quite as distracting as seeing an actor smoke in a movie when he obviously has no clue what he's doing, lol
    I know 4 year olds who have seen a bond film. That puts bond in place as a roll model, so the smoking has to go so little Timmy dosn't take it up, and lets behonest it was a minor part of the charictor discription! You could have the books with out much of a change in bond smoking. I would also direct you to the epic free running set pice in CR. Do you think it would work with bond stoping half way through gagging for air!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Disagree. People look up to Bond, and so I am glad he doesn't smoke the 70 a day of the novels. and it isn't changing his character mold or anything. Just taking away a nasty habit.
    I'll admit it made for a pretty cool opening line in TND.
    I'll admit it made for a pretty cool opening line in TND.

It´s a great line, and I love the lighter/grenade.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I've watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo the other day. And sometimes in the movie Blomqvist ( Craig ) did get out and got a smoke. I didn't find that any disturbing or so, it did just make him feel more serious and more of a serious man. And also it did put the story ahead.
    So yeah, i'm thinking that Bond should start to smoke again. But not as much as Connery did, just one or two ciggarettes in each film. Or why not put a big cigar in his mouth, that would be something ;)
    MrBond wrote:
    I've watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo the other day. And sometimes in the movie Blomqvist ( Craig ) did get out and got a smoke. I didn't find that any disturbing or so, it did just make him feel more serious and more of a serious man. And also it did put the story ahead.
    So yeah, i'm thinking that Bond should start to smoke again. But not as much as Connery did, just one or two ciggarettes in each film. Or why not put a big cigar in his mouth, that would be something ;)

Yes, a cigar preferably. Perhaps one with a rocket inside, like the cigarette in YOLT.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

Yes, a cigar preferably. Perhaps one with a rocket inside, like the cigarette in YOLT.

A big Cigar with a blowing effect, you know what i'm saying dude 8-}
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Woah, that would be appropriate especially in DAD.

Bond should definitely smoke but not cigars (these are for old men) - should always be cigarettes. Filterless.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

No, in DAD they smoke some nasty stuffs called " Delictados " which blows slooowly B-)
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

No, in DAD they smoke some nasty stuffs called " Delictados " which blows slooowly B-)

=))
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agree, mildly, and I'm a staunch non-smoker.

I was just rereading the novel LALD and Bond drinks and smokes like a fiend in that one. It has to do with his belief that he could/will die at any time, so why not smoke?
    I missed a thesis that said 'Connery was at his most bored in Thunderball'

Bit late after the event, but I would argue Goldfinger for that, but YOLT does have a strong case

I think the Bond smoking thing is fine and acceptable enough, I don't have any real issues with it, even though he really shouldn't if he wants to stay in peak condition or fitness
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    I hated it when Moore smoked those big cigars in his first two entries. There's something ....classless about it. I imagine the stink all over the set. He looks like some Cuban gangster or something. Connery smoked a cigarrete with great panache in his introduction in DN, that's the only way Bond should do it.
    Maybe there's a difference between smoking a big fat cigar and a mere cigarette (at least in terms of size), but Moore only did it in his first two movies to the best of my knowledge. Brosnan did look suitable though in Die Another Day in Havana when he sneaked off with the birdbook and the binoculars

Always makes me laugh in License to Kill when Davi and Dalton sit down and talk about who tried to kill Sanchez the night before

They order some coffee, 'Cream Sugar?' etc, they talk for a few seconds, Dalton has a cup and saucer, lights up, takes a sip of coffee, and next second - 'Well I should be going', it's like - 'sit down man and take your time'

He did a similar thing in Daylights when Q was showing him something, takes out a cigarette, takes one puff of it and then just gets up and leaves :-/

I mean if you're going to smoke them Mr Dalton..
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23

I dont recall this scene which you mention. Are you sure he smokes in Q's lab? Maybe you mean when he smokes during the Blayden safe house meeting with his superiors as they listen to Koskov?

I dont recall this scene which you mention. Are you sure he smokes in Q's lab? Maybe you mean when he smokes during the Blayden safe house meeting with his superiors as they listen to Koskov?

He definitely smokes a cigarette in the lab. The clip was posted a few pages back.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Virage wrote:
    I know 4 year olds who have seen a bond film. That puts bond in place as a roll model, so the smoking has to go so little Timmy dosn't take it up,

The biggest pile of bollocks I've ever read in my life. Can I just remind you Bond kills and shags several people in every single film. What is little Timmy going to make of that?

But just as long as he doesnt smoke.

Also 6 Vespers lined up on the bar is fine. We must protect Timmy from lung cancer but liver failure is a perfectly acceptable example to set. And when was the last time Bond opened a pack of johnnies?

That said some teenager just hammered his mothers head in and burnt her body after watching Coronation St so maybe Virage is right and every film, TV show and game should be censored so that all we get on our screens is a bland, grey mush of mediocrity.

Sort of a visual equivalent of The Lighthouse Family.
    Virage wrote:
    I know 4 year olds who have seen a bond film. That puts bond in place as a roll model, so the smoking has to go so little Timmy dosn't take it up,

The biggest pile of bollocks I've ever read in my life. Can I just remind you Bond kills and shags several people in every single film. What is little Timmy going to make of that?

Technically we have never seen bond shag someone. Kills I have no defense.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I seem to recall Jar Jar getting the thrust of his big bang theory?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 069</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Connery's appearance in NSNA was an act of betrayal towards Cubby.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 069</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Connery's appearance in NSNA was an act of betrayal towards Cubby.</b></font>

He and Cubby weren't on great terms, I don't think Connery would've seen it as a betrayal.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    No i don't see it as a betrayal. Connery hadn't done a Bond film since DAF, which was 11 years earlier. And Connery was already then angry at the producers.
    And Octopussy actually gained publicity when NSNA was released and all about " the battle of Bonds " things flying around.
    MrBond wrote:
    No i don't see it as a betrayal. Connery hadn't done a Bond film since DAF, which was 11 years earlier. And Connery was already then angry at the producers.
    And Octopussy actually gained publicity when NSNA was released and all about " the battle of Bonds " things flying around.

No, it was not a betrayal. He just gave the fans another Bond movie. That was great, especially for the Connery fans. And NSNA is underrated.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    And NSNA is underrated.

Well, it looks like we can agree about something. ;-) That's a first.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    DarthDimi wrote:
    And NSNA is underrated.

Well, it looks like we can agree about something. ;-) That's a first.

Fantastic! Connery is great in it, the motorcycle chase is awesome (as is the bike itself, the laser watch and the rocket pen). I also love the fight between Bond and Count Lippe and the klimax in the underwater cave. Bond being chased by sharks is another good scene, and there is alot of good dialog. On the negative side, the movie feels very cheap and doesn´t feel like an EON Bond film. Plus the computer game is aged.
    Rowan Atkinson is great in this, as is Barbara Carrera. The tone, or atmosphere, is fantastic in the movie.

I wouldn't say it was a betrayl, Sean simply needed a hit and a big payday and NSNA fit the bill, the only real betrayl was to Sean's crome dome, letting that dead animal sit on his head was truly disrespectful!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As well as Connery trying to revive a falling career, the answer is yes.