Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

Certainly a Verhoven LTK would have been far bloodier than the film we had.
    Verhoeven is a good director. usually highly entertaining and always an interesting subtext - far more intelligent and interesting filmmaker imo than Mendes
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Davi also appeared in Verhoven’s most infamous film.

I just see Sanchez in this clip.
    hmm... showgirls. sadly that was utter dross. but lots of other good films under his belt.

check out black book if you've never seen it.
    I haven’t. But I have seen his more high-profile stuff (Robocop, Starship Troopers etc).
    They're both excellent of course. Black Book is a minor film. WW2 movie. very OTT and entertaining about a Jewish woman falling for a Wermacht officer. totally unPC but very enjoyable.
    I’ve heard of it but not seen it. Will try and grab a copy.

Verhoven’s films usually had a dark comic edge to them. That could work well in the Bond world.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    this is one of the best 'bad reviews' I've ever read for a film. I remember reading it and thinking "this sounds awesome". it doesn't disappoint.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2007/jan/19/worldcinema.thriller

the review is actually spot on apart from where it concludes "it could have been great" - because actually it is really good.
    It had me at “contrived toplessness” ;)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Brosnan needs a director like Verhoeven who appreciates and can also make the most of (and contain) Brozza's tendency to go "full cheese" on the acting front.

Tarantino and Brozza also would have been good to see.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Getafix wrote: »
    this is one of the best 'bad reviews' I've ever read for a film. I remember reading it and thinking "this sounds awesome". it doesn't disappoint.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2007/jan/19/worldcinema.thriller

the review is actually spot on apart from where it concludes "it could have been great" - because actually it is really good.

Thats my Jam.
    Gotta love Verhoeven, i always get a sense from his movies that he deeply hated Hollywood films. The level of sex and violence in his movies is like a persiflage, and a critique of the mainstream audience as well, as if he's saying "isn't this exactly what you want you sick f****?"
    And yes, Paul, thats exactly what we wanted.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Cameron is far better as an action director.
    Oh without doubt. There is absolutely no comparison. Cameron is a control freak though and would never have been able to operate within the very tight timelines and relatively strong control which define a Bond film once production begins.

I just hate his films. The childish dialogue has sunk any one that I've tried to sit through.

You really hate Aliens?
    I actually far prefer the original too @peter. It's a true horror flick executed very well.

I preferred Cameron's film when I was younger (found Alien boring then) but as I've gotten older I see there's really no comparison. As you say, it's still a lot of fun. Basically an 80's style war movie in space.

Actually I think that alien and aliens are two almost completely different kind of movies - and each of them is at the top of its game. Whoever says that aliens is a boring Popcornflic hasn’t been in the cinema back then when Alien wave after wave was pounding against the gates of the colonIalists settlement. This was a truly thrilling movie, which hasn’t been equaled yet.
    T2 is good entertainment which is excellent visualized. No more, no less. I’ve never seen avatar or titanic, but can’t imagine that they could give anything to me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Actually I think that alien and aliens are two almost completely different kind of movies - and each of them is at the top of its game. Whoever says that aliens is a boring Popcornflic hasn’t been in the cinema back then when Alien wave after wave was pounding against the gates of the colonIalists settlement. This was a truly thrilling movie, which hasn’t been equaled yet.
    Aliens is definitely excellent entertainment. The special effects are top notch and it still feels quite fresh even today, particularly with the kick 'a' Ripley in the lead. Very different to the original, but still great fun and much more epic in scope and scale.
    T2 is good entertainment which is excellent visualized. No more, no less.
    I can't choose between the original and the sequel. I love both of them equally and I still get chills when watching both. The scene when the Terminator comes out of the floor at the asylum still gets me every time, as do some of the chase sequences which are absolutely thrilling (casting Robert Patrick was a masterstroke). I personally also really like how he twisted the premise from the original and made Arnie the good guy (if someone revealed that in the trailers they should be shot).
    I’ve never seen avatar or titanic, but can’t imagine that they could give anything to me.
    You're not missing much, I can assure you. The latter is one perhaps best saved for a death bed. It will make the transition much easier.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I don't know whether anyone's read Cameron's first draft for Terminator before Gale Anne Hurd gave it a polish? I've read both and I have to admit what Gale Anne Hurd did was improve it greatly by fleshing-out the Sarah Connor character and changing her dialogue, plus she improved upon the grand finale.

These are all movies that I saw on the big screen: from Alien(s) right through to True Lies. The Abyss could have been pretty good but for that absolutely terrible, syrupy dialogue between Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, especially when he's heading down into the abyss which had my stomach roiling. That script sure did need a Gale Anne Hurd polish, as did Aliens. I always felt that Aliens, along with Rambo: First Blood Part II were the start of the dumb actioner, both coincidentally written by Cameron.

Talking of True Lies, I see that there's a television series now in development due out next year.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    I don't know whether anyone's read Cameron's first draft for Terminator before Gale Anne Hurd gave it a polish? I've read both and I have to admit what Gale Anne Hurd did was improve it greatly by fleshing-out the Sarah Connor character and changing her dialogue, plus she improved upon the grand finale.

These are all movies that I saw on the big screen: from Alien(s) right through to True Lies. The Abyss could have been pretty good but for that absolutely terrible, syrupy dialogue between Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, especially when he's heading down into the abyss which had my stomach roiling. That script sure did need a Gale Anne Hurd polish, as did Aliens. I always felt that Aliens, along with Rambo: First Blood Part II were the start of the dumb actioner, both coincidentally written by Cameron.

Talking of True Lies, I see that there's a television series now in development due out next year.

I have and I agree. I’ve always thought of Cameron as being a Lucas/Bay hybrid. He enjoys building and visualising the worlds his films exist and he’s a keen and expert technician, who’s not averse to ‘blowing sh*t up’. In terms of storytelling he’s not ‘up there’, I wouldn’t say. I do, however, find most of his films very enjoyable. I don’t think he’s ever pretended he’s anything other than a keen helmer of mainstream blockbusters, so fair play.
    If there is a Cameron / Ridley Scott movie in the cinema I buy a ticket based upon those names because they make cinematic movies I really enjoy.

Paul Verhoeven I watch because he basically a Dutch cinematic hero of mine, somebody called the Black book a minor film of the unPC variety. It is not, it is a movie that showcases that not everybody in WWII was a hero, there was a lot of collaboration between the Nazi's/occupiers and the Dutch for various reasons. he wanted to show that as an companion to his hero story "Soldier of Orange". It was a study in grey colors about WWII instead of an bombastic heroic epos.

McTiernan would have been fun but we got Campbell instead who twice has proven he can bring us a Decent first adventure for a new 007 actor.

All these men are great action directors with an original eye for the material.

All I want currently is a decent swansong for Craig in a movie that combines action with a good story. Any more personal sh&t and I declare the Craig era a waste of time after CR.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I actually far prefer the original too @peter. It's a true horror flick executed very well.

I preferred Cameron's film when I was younger (found Alien boring then) but as I've gotten older I see there's really no comparison. As you say, it's still a lot of fun. Basically an 80's style war movie in space.

T2 is good entertainment which is excellent visualized. No more, no less. I’ve never seen avatar or titanic, but can’t imagine that they could give anything to me.

I have seen them all in the cinema, and Aliens is the only installment in the franchise I don t care for.

I have seen them all in the cinema, and Aliens is the only installment in the franchise I don t care for.

You mean after covenant end Prometheus? Fascinating, really fascinating.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

You mean after covenant end Prometheus? Fascinating, really fascinating.

I loved those.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

I have and I agree. I’ve always thought of Cameron as being a Lucas/Bay hybrid. He enjoys building and visualising the worlds his films exist and he’s a keen and expert technician, who’s not averse to ‘blowing sh*t up’. In terms of storytelling he’s not ‘up there’, I wouldn’t say. I do, however, find most of his films very enjoyable. I don’t think he’s ever pretended he’s anything other than a keen helmer of mainstream blockbusters, so fair play.
    Interesting @RC7. Truth be told, I'll always be first in line for a Cameron movie. His dialogue can be a bit too immersed in the trash-talk culture of the day, but he understands how to build and sustain tension. However syrupy I found The Abyss in parts, I still prefer it over his Avatar movie.

Good to know that you also read both scripts for T1. It gives quite a fascinating insight into how this great little sci-fi story went from a great idea to an even better more rounded one.
    I am not a Cameron fan but Aliens is a very good movie
    Titanic and Avatar were dire
    Getafix wrote: »
    Titanic and Avatar were dire

+1. I'd add True Lies to that too!
    True Lies is a lot of fun. Jamie Lee Curtis particularly is great in it.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    True Lies is a lot of fun. Jamie Lee Curtis particularly is great in it.

Fair enough. Curtis is good but the rest..all the tedious stuff with Bill Paxton..Art Maliks anonymous villain and poorly staged action..it also looks cheap and Maliks death scene is badly done. Thank God it never got a sequel!
    I'd say the action was staged pretty well and I don't think it looks cheap. The final plane sequence may not have dated very well though I agree.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The action in True Lies is exceptionally well done for its time imho and there are plenty of decent moments in the film.

I personally have no problems with Malk's Osama wannabee villain and Lee Curtis is a blast.

I could do without the silly wife interrogation and Paxton wanker subplot though. That was just a waste of space & tonally jarring in an otherwise excellent film.
    I wouldn't call True Lies cheap-looking @Mathis. At the time, True Lies was the first film with a production budget of over $100 million... in other words... the Most Expensive Movie Ever Made!! The movie did experience a Muslim backlash for its strong anti-Arab or anti-Muslim prejudice. I remember thinking it was a pretty brave move on Cameron's part. I don't understand why you were so adverse to a sequel. Did Harry Tasker piss in your school watercooler or something?
    It's actually an American remake of the 1991 French film La Totale!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103103/