Happy Saint George's Day !! (23rd April)

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,727
    'To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life.' Cecil Rhodes.

He's the one they want to remove all of the statues of now.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    'To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life.' Cecil Rhodes.

The true spirit of England is slowly being phased out...this day not being a national holiday doesnt help..a day like today should add the pride back into every TRUE Englishman.

It does,but not as much as if it was a day of celebration.
    barryt007 wrote: »

The true spirit of England is slowly being phased out...this day not being a national holiday doesnt help..a day like today should add the pride back into every TRUE Englishman.

St Patrick's Day isn't a national holiday in Northern Ireland either. I think that's wrong too. Over here it's a sectarian thing but St Patrick should be celebrated by both sides of the community here. That's my belief.

St Patrick's Day isn't a national holiday in Northern Ireland either. I think that's wrong too. Over here it's a sectarian thing but St Patrick should be celebrated by both sides of the community here. That's my belief.

Agreed,its not a British or European situation,its Ireland as an island .
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,483
    A bloody Yank, here, but I must say I'm heartened to read this robust English patriotism. I was afraid it was dead entirely. At any rate, happy St. George's to you all, and long live Brittania. The REAL Brittania...
    A bloody Yank, here, but I must say I'm heartened to read this robust English patriotism. I was afraid it was dead entirely. At any rate, happy St. George's to you all, and long live Brittania. The REAL Brittania...

Thanks PK,there are still some of us left who love our country and wont put it down.
    And we have had a new Prince born today,5th in line to the throne and born on St George's Day.

We couldnt ask for more !

I raise a glass to England (well a few he he )... !!
    This thread in a nutshell:

Even Jeremy Corbyn wants to make St George's Day a National Holiday, you absolute cretins.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

That bit reminded me of Tiger's rant that even wore Bond's stoicism down in Fleming's YOLT.
    royale65 wrote: »

That bit reminded me of Tiger's rant that even wore Bond's stoicism down in Fleming's YOLT.

Aye. Good point. Tiger comes over as a bit of a prophet now, doesn't he? But perhaps all is not lost...
    royale65 wrote: »

Aye. Good point. Tiger comes over as a bit of a prophet now, doesn't he? But perhaps all is not lost...

It's not Gentlemen,believe me,it's not.
    Ludovico wrote: »

As long as you like rain.

I love rain !!

And i love my country' history,heritage and whats left of its bulldog never-say-die attitude to life.

God bless England,and good luck to the Princess of Wales and her soon to be born St.George's Day baby xxx

I love rain too and was joking. That said I always found ironic the fact that England has a patron saint that is neither English (not even remotely) or associated with England in any way. But hey, I still find it cool for my son who is English from his mother to have a saint who killed a dragon. My people's patron got his head chopped off as a payment to a striptease.
    Well, my people's patron was burned at the stake, so... Although, technically, my region's patron was the grandmother of God. Hard to beat that.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339

I love rain !!

And i love my country' history,heritage and whats left of its bulldog never-say-die attitude to life.

God bless England,and good luck to the Princess of Wales and her soon to be born St.George's Day baby xxx

I love rain too and was joking. That said I always found ironic the fact that England has a patron saint that is neither English (not even remotely) or associated with England in any way. But hey, I still find it cool for my son who is English from his mother to have a saint who killed a dragon. My people's patron got his head chopped off as a payment to a striptease.

I knew you were joking haha ;)
    Oh Happy Birthday for the other day btw !
    I can't say I understand anyone who says they love rain. We get almost nothing but rain here in NI and love is the very last emotion I feel for it!
    I can't say I understand anyone who says they love rain. We get almost nothing but rain here in NI and love is the very last emotion I feel for it!

Ahh being that my other half is Northern Irish i can sympathise there Draggers.
    There is rain and then there is RAIN.

Yes, I think it can be explained away by the fact you guys on the mainland don't get as much rain as we do here in NI! ;)

Yes, I think it can be explained away by the fact you guys on the mainland don't get as much rain as we do here in NI! ;)

Even less in the East where i am .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Even Jeremy Corbyn wants to make St George's Day a National Holiday, you absolute cretins.
    Then by all means vote for him Sir.

Yes, the further North you go the worse the weather seems to get, generally speaking.

Yes, the further North you go the worse the weather seems to get, generally speaking.

Do you celebrate any Saints Day Draggers,just curious ?

Well, I would celebrate St Patrick's Day of course but I don't really do anything for it.

Well, I would celebrate St Patrick's Day of course but I don't really do anything for it.

I agree..i'm still amazed that N.I doesnt get a day off for their own island's Saint .

I agree..i'm still amazed that N.I doesnt get a day off for their own island's Saint .

It's a political thing. As Unionists we see most events here on St Patrick's Day (17 March) as being for the Nationalist side. It's more their day. It's the same thing with the 12th July of course. Each community has their own special day as it were.

It's a political thing. As Unionists we see most events here on St Patrick's Day (17 March) as being for the Nationalist side. It's more their day. It's the same thing with the 12th July of course. Each community has their own special day as it were.

I can understand that.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,727

I can understand that.

That's not to say that the status quo is necessarily right. I think both days should be more inclusive for all sides of the community. I think there are efforts to try to bring that about, but it has been slow.

There were motions at Stormont to make St Patrick's Day a national holiday in NI but they fell through sadly.

I can understand that.

That's not to say that the status quo is necessarily right. I think both days should be more inclusive for all sides of the community. I think there are efforts to try to bring that about, but it has been slow.

There were motions at Stormont to make St Patrick's Day a national holiday in NI but they fell through sadly.

Just like all the talk about making St George's Day a public holiday...nothings happened..cant have that,less money for the pricks in Government,whoever who is 'in charge'.

I love rain !!

I knew you were joking haha ;)
    Oh Happy Birthday for the other day btw !

Thank you.

Say what you will about Corbyn but his arguments for new bank holidays are mostly solid.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 233

Not a fan of Corbyn for myriad reasons, but the idea that celebrating St George's Day is frowned upon as "racist" is fantasist, straw man nonsense of the highest order. And if you're trying to dismiss accusations of racism, I don't think it's a good look to go around quoting a white supremacist and architect of apartheid rule.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well known TV personality Dermot O'Leary was born in Colchester but his parents had moved from Ireland. As a result he clings to those Irish roots and holds dual nationality.

Popular Rod Stewart, was born in London, but because his dad was Scottish (note, his mum was English) he's claiming Scottish blood, wears tartan and supports the Scottish football team.

I bet there isn't an English born Indian or Pakistani in this country who doesn't call themselves Asian/British, and relate fully to their Asian roots, and barely at all to their country of birth.

Is it really that bad to be English?

I think that's less to do with being ashamed to be English and more to do with people just wanting to be different to what they've grown around. A lot of Americans do the same, calling themselves Irish/German/whatever.

With Indian's and Pakistani's as well I think it's a cultural thing a lot of the time to be fair, because the culture is so different that they feel they need to try and maintain their heritage a bit. And I don't think being born or living somewhere should dictate what you identify as personally. If (god forbid) I had a kid they'd be half Welsh and we live in Wales but it'd still make me happy to hear them call themselves English.

I can see what you mean though. I actually don't have a drop of English blood in me but I still identify as English. A lot of that is probably down to my upbringing though, I was raised by white British parents (English bloke Scottish woman) so it was always you support England, etc. I've met my dad and grandparents since and I'm proud of my heritage but I still just think of myself as English, probably because I never really had anyone teaching me about my roots when I was younger.

I think that shows how innocent it is though. It's just more to do with your upbringing and what your parents tell you than anyone being ashamed to be English for whatever reason.
    Patriotism/nationalism I am afraid I tend to rank with religion in that it has little basis on fact or rationality. For the vast majority of us, our nationality has nothing to do with us. It's a roll of the dice, pure chance. Just because my parents were in GB when I was born means that I become a massive fan of GB? If my dad had been offered a job on Amsterdam or Paris, then I wave the Dutch or French flag? Makes no sense at all.

Nationalism and patriotism provide rich pickings for politicians to exploit and (like religion) create synthetic divides within humanity which should not be there.