Spider-Man games - Including the new Spider-Man for PS4!

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
in 007 Gaming Posts: 1,812
I couldn't find a thread about any Spider-Man games so I figured I'd make one for all of them, including the new one coming out for the Playstation 4.

Yesterday they finally announced the release date for Spider-Man PS4, September 7th of this year! I was hoping for a summer release, like by July, but I'll take it. I've already pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition and now I'm patiently waiting.

For those of you who have been living under a rock or just want to watch the current videos again...

Anybody else as excited as I am? Let's discuss!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @QsAssistant, this is a topic that is really close to my heart. Probably more than any licensed character, I've had a long, long history of loving Spider-Man and Spider-Man games, starting with one of the old PC games that, for the time, was the pinnacle of an open world even though you could barely go anywhere and the city streets was blocked out by a poisonous looking yellow fog. ;) I then moved on to the Activision movie tie-ins (and still hold Spider-Man 2 as the best movie video game ever) through to some of the newer releases, if not all of them. There are some games I wished I'd played, namely Web of Shadows, but a few passed me by.

Spider-Man PS4 is something I can't wait to play, and is up there with Red Dead 2 as my two most anticipated titles of the year. It will be crazy to be able to play Spider-Man for over a month before Rockstar release their latest project, which is very exciting. All my free time will be eaten up!

I'll post some Spider-Man PS4 news when I can, as there is some stuff coming out of GameInformer that has me losing my mind. From the look at the swinging I've gotten I love how Insomniac have designed the traversal mechanics. It seems to be the perfect marriage between the physics based swinging of Spider-Man 2 with the very visceral "web rush" mechanic from the newer Spidey games from Beenox based on the Amazing Spider-Man films, giving you massive freedom to explore the world.

One thing that blew my mind was the implication that there may be full-on suit customization in Spider-Man PS4, meaning we'll have the ability to make whatever Spider-Man suit we want! Apparently, the Spidey suit Insomniac have shown off in each bit of footage with the big white spider insignia may in fact be just one of the many suits you can randomly make from the customization options they've put intp the game. If true, that is absolutely amazing, as it would be the most innovative thing added to a Spidey game in forever and would give each player the ability to make their own Spider-Man different from the rest. I'm also really excited to see what kinds of iconic costumes you can unlock or get for the game as well, with my most wanted being the Raimi suit and the Homecoming one, the latter of which I'd possibly use as my main one. September can't get here fast enough!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,882
    Despite not being what you might call a Spider-Fan, I remember enjoying the open city freedom of Spider-Man 2 on the PS2, and the noir levels of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions on the PS3. And from what I have seen of this game, it looks like it will be worth picking up as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MajorDSmythe, you may be happy to know then that it was announced that one of the costumes you can wear in the upcoming game is the noir suit from Shattered Dimensions:
    d831db9584e766b835dfbb8484b891ae
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Really? Excellent. It might look at odds with the surrounding world, but that is the costume I will use.
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm sure that suit will look super cool when the day and night cycle brings on nighttime in New York. And since Insomniac said that each suit will have special abilities for the player that wears them, I'm sure there will be some stealth buff you get while using the noir suit, which would be cool.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,882
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm sure that suit will look super cool when the day and night cycle brings on nighttime in New York. And since Insomniac said that each suit will have special abilities for the player that wears them, I'm sure there will be some stealth buff you get while using the noir suit, which would be cool.

I hope so. When given the choice, I always prefer to take the stealth route. All this talk has made me want to track down a copy of Shattered Dimensions. I sold my copy off, but since then I have been inspired by many 'game collection' videos of Youtube, to not sell any games, even ones where I decide early on it isn't for me (Monster Hunter: World being a recent example), and build up my game collection(s).
    @MajorDSmythe, considering that the new game will have a lot of what are basically a Spidey version of the Batman Arkham predator rooms, stealth will definitely be a useful tactic if you go that route. The game seems to give you the freedom to do what you want, and stealth seems the most practical and sensible for the character.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 This is my most anticipated game right now. It's been far too long since we've had a really good Spidey game. For me Shattered Dimensions was the last good one. I also really enjoyed Spider-Man 2 but Web of Shadows is currently my favorite and I have a good feeling Spider-Man - PS4 will knock it down to my number two spot.

@MajorDSmythe The Spider-Man Noir levels in Shattered Dimensions were some of my favorites from that game. So I was pretty excited when they announced the Noir suit being in the new game. Although I'll probably only ever use that one at night.

If you pay close attention to the second video I posted (the gameinformer one) at 23 seconds you can see what is either the classic Spidey suit or the Homecoming suit. I had a feeling one or both of them would make it into the game but it's exciting to see it in the video.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Spider-Man and Black Panther are my 2 favourite Marvel characters but with Spider-Man having an incomparable greater media presence the exposure to the character outside of the comics made for some great moments of my time.

The early 2000 psx games: spider-man and spider-man 2 enter electro...these games set the standard for the spidey games to come with it's 3d presentation and at the time dynamic webslinging capabilities. The voice acting from Rino Romano who was voicing spidey on the spider-man unlimited cartoon show at the time added to the experience of really being the character. The villain roster was exceptional, from stopping a bunch of robbers from bank heist, rushing to save J Jonah Jameson from the scorpion, to evading a brutal assault from the NYPD, venom, carnage and Doc Ock to various cameos from Daredevil, Publisher, Captain America, Johnny Storm, the Lizard and even Namor. This was my favourite Spidey game for years and now that I think about it, it's probably still my favourite.

After Enter Electro and the movie game tie ins and the likes of the more cartoon based ultimate spider-man game, the games sort of became run of the mill. Spider-man 2 the movie game had a great open world setup and the swinging system was the best ever; probably still is. I didn't really care for the likes of shattered dimensions other than it brought back all the voice actors who had voiced spidey since the 60s cartoon and Christopher Daniel Barnes effortlessly proved why he'll always be THE Spidey voice for me.

In any case, really looking forward to this new game, I just hope we get far more dynamic things to do in this open world akin to GTA.
    If you pay close attention to the second video I posted (the gameinformer one) at 23 seconds you can see what is either the classic Spidey suit or the Homecoming suit. I had a feeling one or both of them would make it into the game but it's exciting to see it in the video.
    @QsAssistant, holy crap, I didn't even recognize that on my first watch and had to go back! It's hard to tell with the video compression, but it could be Homecoming or the classic Ditko suit, with the big fat red spider on the back being the big indicator.

The suits that I want to see are definitely the Maguire suit, Holland's suit (which is essentially a guarantee at this point) and the classic, iconic Ditko suit with the webbing under the arms. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned, but my favorite suits have always just been those that retain the classic red, white and blue color mix but change up the design. I imagine, with Sony's exclusive involvement with the project, we'll also see Garfield's suits in there as well, which is great as I actually love the suit from the first Amazing film (this doesn't seem to be a popular opinion, however).

I really can't wait to see what they reveal about suit customization and if you can really make your own Spider-Man suit. That would get me as excited as anything, and make the game truly feel true to its promises of allowing you to be Spider-Man in the way you wish.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Spider-Man and Black Panther are my 2 favourite Marvel characters but with Spider-Man having an incomparable greater media presence the exposure to the character outside of the comics made for some great moments of my time.
    @doubleoego, for a while now I've wanted a Black Panther video game. With how well the movie has done, maybe that is a possibility, given how hard Marvel seem to be gunning for the video game market now. They apparently have a lot of projects in the pipeline now, and hopefully a Panther game with an open world Wakanda will be on the cards. Can you imagine?!
    The early 2000 psx games: spider-man and spider-man 2 enter electro...these games set the standard for the spidey games to come with it's 3d presentation and at the time dynamic webslinging capabilities. The voice acting from Rino Romano who was voicing spidey on the spider-man unlimited cartoon show at the time added to the experience of really being the character. The villain roster was exceptional, from stopping a bunch of robbers from bank heist, rushing to save J Jonah Jameson from the scorpion, to evading a brutal assault from the NYPD, venom, carnage and Doc Ock to various cameos from Daredevil, Publisher, Captain America, Johnny Storm, the Lizard and even Namor. This was my favourite Spidey game for years and now that I think about it, it's probably still my favourite.
    @doubleoego, that early 2000 Spider-Man game you mentioned was the first one I ever played on my PC as a kid. I remember so much of the game so vividly, despite not playing to for over a decade. The opening mission to get rid of the bomb, the Jameson rescue from Scorpion, the escape from the helicopter lights, and that insanely difficult (from what I remember) final level! So many good memories.
    In any case, really looking forward to this new game, I just hope we get far more dynamic things to do in this open world akin to GTA.
    I think it'll be well packed, for sure. I think it's only logical that the game will have some form of spontaneous open world crimes you can do like in Spider-Man 2, but probably with better variety and presentation. Beyond that I expect some meaty side missions outside the main story and a few other standard open world things like that.
    A Black Panther game would be awesome and I hope we get one soon.

With Spidey being Marvel's flagship character I really hope this new game delivers. It looks really good and Lord knows we've had years of enough spidey game back catalogue for this new game to live up to expectation. The past games explored some really good ideas and even executed some of them masterfully. September can't get here soon enough.
    I forgot about this video as well. It shows off the confirmed Spider-Punk suit that you get if you pre-order the game. There will also be two other pre-order bonus suits. The second will be revealed soon and the third will be sometime in July.

@QsAssistant, I hadn't seen that video before, thanks. I don't know this for certain, but maybe the noir suit is the second suit to be announced? Could've possibly been leaked early?

I really love the close up shots of the swinging we get in that video, as you see how visceral it'll feel. The webbing feels truly tangible, with its own physics. I hope we can sort of play with the camera while swinging, and move it closer if we wish. One of my favorite things about the swinging in the first Beenox Amazing Spider-Man game was just how close up the camera got, making you feel the momentum even more.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I think the Noir suit is one that is already supposed to be in the game and not part of the pre-order bonus, but I could be wrong.

Also here's a couple more videos I found today...

This one shows off more of the swinging

Even if the game overall isn't great, it's easily going to have the best swinging from any Spider-Man game!

I haven't watched the entire video yet but they talk about the swinging and it sounds great! I think it also answered my question of, does this game have fast travel and how does it play into the game? Like clicking a point on a map and suddenly appearing there (like Skyrim) or is it something more smooth that plays into the gameplay more?
    I think they show it at 1:10 into the video and it's something kind of funny that Spidey would actually do.
    @QsAssistant, the swinging appears to mix the style from Spider-Man 2 and the web rush of the Beenox games, so that makes me very happy. Should get the best of both worlds.

The subway bit could be one way to fast travel, you're right, and it's a very Peter thing to do. I don't really think the game needs a fast travel system, as the swinging will get you places fast and it's never not fun to zip around New York. But I trust Insomniac wholeheartedly with all of this, so I have not a worry.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite Spidey game. The art style and voice acting just make me feel like the comic has come alive.

Spider-Man 2 was a great game, and Tobey MacGuire makes a better game Spidey than movie Spidey, but Ultimate Spider-Man put me right there, between the comic panels.
    Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite Spidey game. The art style and voice acting just make me feel like the comic has come alive.

Spider-Man 2 was a great game, and Tobey MacGuire makes a better game Spidey than movie Spidey, but Ultimate Spider-Man put me right there, between the comic panels.

Agreed. I have an unpopular opinion, while Spider-Man 2 was the best game at the time of its release, it’s not very good anymore and it’s not even in my top 3 Spider-Man games. Web of Shadows and Ultimate Spider-Man are far superior. I actually played those two about a year or so ago and they’re still fun.
    A couple days ago Gameinformer released another video about Spider-Man. This one is about the web-swinging.
    We now have confirmation that the second pre-order suit is the Iron-Spider outfit from Avengers: Infinity War!
    Spider-Man-Iron-Spider-Avengers-Infinity-War-Tom-Holland.jpg

Gameinformer released another video. This one is about the combat.
    The issue I have with the swinging system, which has been the case for the majority of these spidey games is, we no longer have spidey webslinging via shooting webs from BOTH his wrists. Now it's a case of fire a web line, swing, detach and re-engage rather than the "monkey-bar" effect.
    Another video from Gameinformer!