'I have a cunning plan': The Blackadder Thread

GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
I am revisiting one of my favourite comedy shows of all time and I thought surely a community with so many Brits around will have a thread dedicated to Blackadder.

To my amazement I couldn't find it via a Google Search, but do correct me if there is one floating around somewhere. In that case feel free to point me in the right direction.

Anyway, any fans of Blackadder around here on Mi6?

Comments

Blackadder is one of my all time favourite TV series - and Blackadder the Third/Blackadder Goes Forth especially. So, so many highlights.

giphy.gif
    And let's not forget Flashheart! What a character! :))
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Blackadder Goes Forth is my absolute favourite. I love Private Plane for Rik Mayall and all the flying content, but General Hospital is the one with the best jokes.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Ah, you have a women's thread!
    If ever I need my spirits lifting then it's on with Potato featuring one of the best characters, long on beard and short on leg, it's Captain Red Beard Rum - Ah hah!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Rinsed it so much in my youth that I've probably only watched the odd episode in the fast 15 years.

'So you don't know the way to France either? Bugger!'

2 and 3 are virtually inseparable but with 4 there's a slight odrop off as it got too popular and transferred to BBC1 and it relies too much on amusing similes ('Sticky the stick insect' etc). Although 4 does have the dramatic heft of the Great War which elevates it a bit but it started to feel a tad pastichey but there's not a lot of difference between the three. And obviously I think we can all agree that 1 is by far the worst.

Full rating:

1. Blackadder II - Perfection.
    2. Blackadder the Third - A gnats cock behind.
    3. Blackadder Goes Forth - Ever so slightly behind the other two.
    4. Blackadder's Christmas Carol - Probably second only to The Office as best ever Christmas special.
    5. Blackadder: The Cavalier Years - Very decent effort.
    6. The Black Adder - Only average at best I'm afraid.
    7. Blackadder: Back and Forth - Utterly dismal.

It's pretty depressing that to 90% of the world Rowan Atkinson is Mr Bean when this is by far the peak of his career.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241
    In Scandinavia I think Rowan Atkinson is well known for Blackadder too, not only Mr. Bean. Both usually airs in reruns once a year or so (here in Norway, at least).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    One of my favourite shows certainly from series 2 onwards, it's on Netflix will definitely rewatch it at some point.
    Its a great series, haven't watched it in ages though. The second series with the drinking competition is one of my favourites great booze up edmund!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Great to see some more fans around. I think the third is my favourite season with two and four following closely. The first one is pretty weird though, I wonder how they managed to get the green light for the second season.
    The budget for the first was ridiculous as well. Pretty much entirely filmed on location.

They only got a green light for 2 if they could promise to do it all for peanuts on a set. Pretty sure that the only thing filmed on location for 2 is the end credits isn't it?

Also I've got a vague feeling I remember hearing that the costume designer dug out some old dresses from Glenda Jackson's Elizabeth R series from the 70s (although I might have made that up) to save money.
  • God Save The Queenie! (or she'll knock your block off). Magnificent performance from Miranda Richardson. Love Blackadder.

My rankings are exactly the same as those of TheWizardOfIce. There were always so many rumours years ago of a possible fifth series. It'll never happen now, of course, but I was intrigued by the idea of a 1960s pop group taking the world by storm (or trying to) managed by their follicly-challenged agent, Bald Rick.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bob short for Kate
    God Save The Queenie! (or she'll knock your block off). Magnificent performance from Miranda Richardson. Love Blackadder.

My rankings are exactly the same as those of TheWizardOfIce. There were always so many rumours years ago of a possible fifth series. It'll never happen now, of course, but I was intrigued by the idea of a 1960s pop group taking the world by storm (or trying to) managed by their follicly-challenged agent, Bald Rick.

That would have been fantastic! Wonder what type of Flashheart character we'd see in that.
    God Save The Queenie! (or she'll knock your block off). Magnificent performance from Miranda Richardson. Love Blackadder.
    Yes, Miranda was great! I haven't seen all Blackadder episodes, but Amy and Amiability with her as Miss Amy Hardwood is my favorite so far. Hugh Laurie was so good as Prince George. Also Ink and Incapability with Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky, uh, I mean Robbie Coltrane--"Sausage?!"
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Yes, Miranda was great! I haven't seen all Blackadder episodes, but Amy and Amiability with her as Miss Amy Hardwood is my favorite so far. Hugh Laurie was so good as Prince George. Also Ink and Incapability with Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky, uh, I mean Robbie Coltrane--"Sausage?!"
    There's a question: How many Bond alumni are connected with Blackadder?

Rowan Atkinson: Err Edmund Blackadder obviously/NSNA
    Robbie Coltrane: Blackadder 3/GE and TWINE
    Patrick Malahide: Blackadder 1/TWINE
    Geoffrey Palmer: Blackadder 4/TND

Still thinking...but it's interesting to me that Brian Blessed never got cast in a Bond film...seems he would've been a natural for a bad guy years ago or for some other part, maybe General Pushkin.
    Still thinking...but it's interesting to me that Brian Blessed never got cast in a Bond film...seems he would've been a natural for a bad guy years ago or for some other part, maybe General Pushkin.

Imagine him as M.! Bond wouldn't dare to not follow instructions!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Prince George is the best part Hugh Laure ever had.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

"BOND'S ALIVE!"
  • Thrasos wrote: »

She also appears in the fourth series as Nurse Fletcher Brown (or should I say Nurse Fleischer Baum?). Miranda was the best. I loved Hugh Laurie as Prince George, but I also think he was great as Lt George, just as silly, but a bit more endearing than the Prince Regent.

Another British actor I'm always slightly surprised hasn't popped up in a Bond film is Tim McInnerny. His Lord Percy Percy (the discoverer of 'purest green') and his Captain Darling were superb in very different ways. He even contracted a real twitch while playing Darling.

With such a talented cast I wonder what odds you would have got back in the 80s, if you had bet that the only one of them to get a real life knighthood was Baldrick!

She also appears in the fourth series as Nurse Fletcher Brown (or should I say Nurse Fleischer Baum?). Miranda was the best. I loved Hugh Laurie as Prince George, but I also think he was great as Lt George, just as silly, but a bit more endearing than the Prince Regent.

Another British actor I'm always slightly surprised hasn't popped up in a Bond film is Tim McInnerny. His Lord Percy Percy (the discoverer of 'purest green') and his Captain Darling were superb in very different ways. He even contracted a real twitch while playing Darling.

With such a talented cast I wonder what odds you would have got back in the 80s, if you had bet that the only one of them to get a real life knighthood was Baldrick!

Imagine Blackadder's reaction to Baldrick getting knighted!

giphy.gif
    Prince George is the best part Hugh Laure ever had.

Might actually agree with that, although Laurie's had several really good parts over the years.
    Great show! Can watch them over and over and still I laugh out loud.
    Some of the Blackadder casts were ridiculously good:

The spine of regulars:
    Rowan Atkinson
    Stephen Fry
    Hugh Laurie
    Tony Robinson
    Miranda Richardson
    Tim McInerry

And then contributions from a host of other greats:
    Peter Cook
    Rik Mayall
    Brian Blessed
    Frank Finlay
    Ronald Lacey
    Tom Baker
    Robbie Coltrane
    Kenneth Connor
    Nigel Planer
    Chris Barrie
    Warren Clarke
    Jim Broadbent
    Miriam Margolyes
    Adrian Edmonson

When you compare it with some of the dross you get these days like Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan it makes you want to weep.

• edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I've always loved Blackadder,the whole cast gel together so well and look like they are having a blast.

My favourite series is definitely 2 ,followed by 3.

And I do love Nursie..aka Bernard.

heifers-672x372.jpg
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    My favourite has to be Blackadder the Third. Three stone cold classic episodes in the election, the dictionary and the actors. I could quote those verbatim and the trio of Atkinson, Robinson and Laurie carry the series to even greater heights. I enjoy that the idiotic, callow George has power over the conniving, frustrated Blackadder.

For back up it also has the highwayman with Miranda Richardson and Prince George and Blackadder doing their ham fisted cyrango de Bergerac routine (although as Alan Partridge so accurately stated Bergerac can only be played by John Nettles)

And ends with the duel episode where Blackadder and Prince George swap roles to the disbelief of Stephen Fry's violent Wellington.
    Never realised Tom Baker was in Blackadder till I just googled it.

I often wonder how there was a second series because I always struggle watching the first or just skip it entirely
  • Alan007 wrote: »
    Never realised Tom Baker was in Blackadder till I just googled it.

I often wonder how there was a second series because I always struggle watching the first or just skip it entirely

The biggest surprise about the commissioning of a second series wasn't necessarily the quality of the first (although it was a bit hit and miss) but the immense cost of the first. As mentioned above thread, a severely stripped down second series (and the addition of Ben Elton) worked wonders. They didn't need to have vast sets and stacks of extras, they just needed to focus on the character-driven comedy powered by some of Britain's greatest comic actors.
  • Incidentally, Tom Baker has often talked about his role as Captain Rum in Blackadder II. Apparently after a predictably uproarious performance by Tom in initial rehearsals, Rowan Atkinson advised him to 'tone it down; underplay everything, play Rum as very serious.' A bit put out by this unsolicited advice, Tom did just that in the next rehearsal, the result of which caused the worried director and producer to wonder: 'What the Hell was that? What's wrong with Tom?'

His point made, Baker returned to his original glorious portrayal. Thank God we got that rather than the Rowan Atkinson version.

Rowan Atkinson, of course, later played the Doctor in a Comic Relief Doctor Who special. I think Tom should have rung him up with some advice!