James Bond actors in other movies (Bond only)

edited July 2012 in Actors Posts: 4,813
I figure there could be a threads worth of discussion on this subject.

I happened to be on youtube and I caught something I never thought I'd see:

Timothy Dalton on Charlie's Angels in 1979!! It was the coolest/funniest thing ever! From what I can gather, he's a bad guy, and one of the girls catches him doing something on a rooftop (Planting a bomb maybe?) and they have an awesome kung fu fight! Tim does more fisticuffs in this 3 minute scene than all of his Bond movies! He can throw a mean kick too!
I swear, the guy looked just like he did in TLD. I think Tim had a 'Connery-esque' long period of time where he appeared to not age at all!

Also, as mentioned on the 'Roger Moore CAN act' thread, I watched 'Crossplot' on Netflix. That was from 1969, which would have made him 41, but I swear he looked 25!!! Roger must have been the Ralph Macchio of his time, lol
The movie was DUMB, but it was pretty fun too, and of course it was a treat to see Roger in a comedy.

What are some other good ones? I'm talking about some 'under the radar' gems, where you've stumbled across and old movie and discovered a Bond was in it!

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    How about Darby O'Gill and the Little People (or something like that) with Sean before he was Bond ...? :) And Dan was in some tv movie in Britain called The Ice House (I think), a murder msytery; maybe quite well known, I don't know (I'm American). I'll probably think of more, give me some time.
    Darby O'Gill & the Little People is one of my favourite movies.

It was also quite fun to see Connery in a bit part in The Longest Day.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Connery as Jim Malone in The Untouchables (you would be surprised the number of people who don't know the film). Pure brilliance, and claimed him an Oscar.
    jimmalone.jpg
    Netflix currently has one of Lazenby's movies on there, though it's dubbed (poor guy, lol)
    'I Saw Her Die'-- no clue why it's dubbed as they are clearly speaking english. I have to say, Lazenby looks a bit too skinny in this movie- almost like he was sick or something
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Sir Rog as the cultural icon Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes in the masterpiece that is 'North Sea Hijack' !! And also the amazing 'The Wild Geese' !! and evidently 'The Man Who Haunted Himself', where Sir Rog demonstrates his Oscar-calibre acting !
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think it was just called Ffolkes in America, but I didn't see it. I'll see if I can rent it but I just don't know (here in Japan).
    I really want to see The Man Who Haunted Himself! I hear that's practically his best acting in any movie he's done!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Timothy Dalton:

"Cromwell" with fellow Bond vets Geoffrey Keen and Charles Gray

"The Rocketeer"

• edited March 2012 Posts: 401
    Timothy Dalton:

"Cromwell" with fellow Bond vets Geoffrey Keen and Charles Gray

"The Rocketeer"
    To add to your list, Timothy Dalton was also Prince Barin in Flash Gordon, 7 years before The Living Daylights was released. And there's always this abomination;

Connery as Jim Malone in The Untouchables (you would be surprised the number of people who don't know the film). Pure brilliance, and claimed him an Oscar.
    I rewatched it recently, extremely entertaining film. It also has a very good score by Morricone.

Damn, in that Sextette video, his voice starts out so high!!
  • Sextette is good satire if you can get past the fact it is the creepiest thing you will ever witness.
    All the Bond actors have had their share of weird and interesting parts, but some of my favorites are:

Sean Connery in A Fine Madness (1966), Shalako (1968), The Offence (1972) (might be his best acting, either this or The Hill (1965)) and Zardoz (1974) (his strangest!).

George Lazenby in Universal Soldier (1971) (his Easy Rider), Stoner (1974) (great martial arts film!), Saint Jack (1979) (small part, but might be the best role after Bond!), and The Last Harem (1981) (great and rare eurotrash film!).

Roger Moore in Crossplot (1969) (groovy Hitchcock-like thriller!), Street People (1976) (cool Italian thriller set in San Francisco!), Shout At The Devil (1976) (strange adventure film directed by Peter Hunt of O.H.M.S.S. fame!), Wild Geese (1978) (great underrated film!) and the rarely seen Sunday Lovers (1980) (where Moore flexes his comedic side in this eurotrash sex farce!). Also, I do think he's quite funny in his small cameo in Curse of the Pink Panther (1983).

Timothy Dalton in Permission to Kill (1975) (plays a gay secret agent in early Bond-like role!), Channel Solitaire (1981) (is worth checking out if you're a Dalton fan, or fan of the designer), Jane Eyre (1983) (great acting by Dalton in this mini-series!), Hawks (1988) (might be his best non-Bond acting role), and Lie Down with the Lions (1994) (might be the closest thing to a Bond-like role Dalton ever did post Bond).

Pierce Brosnan in Long Good Friday (1980) (his part is small, but the movie is awesome!), Taffin (1988) (not great, but enjoyable), Live Wire (1992) (cheesy but fun), Tailor of Panama (2001) (cool thriller!), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (most have seen, but I quite enjoy his version), and Seraphim Falls (2006) (weird but good western. might be his Shalako).

Daniel Craig in Road to Perdition (2002) (effective as creepy villain), Layer Cake (2004) (obviously this film got him the Bond part, but he is good!), and Munich (2005) (my fav non Bond film that he did).
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,856
    DC in The Power Of One ( His first film?)

File:The_Power_of_One_(1992)_promotional_poster.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_One_(film)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Roger Moore was in a movie with Jean-Claude Damme in 1996 called The Quest. I never heard of this movie until I came across it on Netflicks.
    According to Roger Moore's biography, he couldn't stand the "Muscles from Brussels," and was miserable throughout filming. Apparently Jean-Claude was a fan of Moore, but it was not mutual. I think Moore was also not fond of Grace Jones during the filming of AVTAK, if I remember correctly.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I sort of took it as they got along alright-- but Van Damme promised Roger top billing (well, next to Van Damme of course) and he led him to believe that it would be the start of a big comeback of sorts. Apparently, Roger didn't find out until they were on the red carpet and Roger's name was in the fine print at the bottom of the poster. Lucky for Van Damme, Roger had already turned in his PPK & Licence to Kill-- because I bet he wanted to use it! :D
    You're absolutely right about Grace Jones though- I think they mutually hated each other during filming and once that wrapped, they never looked back!

*Edit- Every now and then The Quest will show up on Netflix-- I have to say, ignoring the beard, Roger looks as good (if not better!) than in AVTAK, over 10 years later!!
    Every now and then The Quest will show up on Netflix-- I have to say, ignoring the beard, Roger looks as good (if not better!) than in AVTAK, over 10 years later!!

I thought the same thing but maybe it was the beard that made him look better.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Jarrod wrote:
    All the Bond actors have had their share of weird and interesting parts, but some of my favorites are:

Sean Connery in A Fine Madness (1966), Shalako (1968), The Offence (1972) (might be his best acting, either this or The Hill (1965)) and Zardoz (1974) (his strangest!).

George Lazenby in Universal Soldier (1971) (his Easy Rider), Stoner (1974) (great martial arts film!), Saint Jack (1979) (small part, but might be the best role after Bond!), and The Last Harem (1981) (great and rare eurotrash film!).

Roger Moore in Crossplot (1969) (groovy Hitchcock-like thriller!), Street People (1976) (cool Italian thriller set in San Francisco!), Shout At The Devil (1976) (strange adventure film directed by Peter Hunt of O.H.M.S.S. fame!), Wild Geese (1978) (great underrated film!) and the rarely seen Sunday Lovers (1980) (where Moore flexes his comedic side in this eurotrash sex farce!). Also, I do think he's quite funny in his small cameo in Curse of the Pink Panther (1983).

Timothy Dalton in Permission to Kill (1975) (plays a gay secret agent in early Bond-like role!), Channel Solitaire (1981) (is worth checking out if you're a Dalton fan, or fan of the designer), Jane Eyre (1983) (great acting by Dalton in this mini-series!), Hawks (1988) (might be his best non-Bond acting role), and Lie Down with the Lions (1994) (might be the closest thing to a Bond-like role Dalton ever did post Bond).

Pierce Brosnan in Long Good Friday (1980) (his part is small, but the movie is awesome!), Taffin (1988) (not great, but enjoyable), Live Wire (1992) (cheesy but fun), Tailor of Panama (2001) (cool thriller!), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (most have seen, but I quite enjoy his version), and Seraphim Falls (2006) (weird but good western. might be his Shalako).

Daniel Craig in Road to Perdition (2002) (effective as creepy villain), Layer Cake (2004) (obviously this film got him the Bond part, but he is good!), and Munich (2005) (my fav non Bond film that he did).

You sure like the word eurotrash, I'll try not to be offended and you just did a nice post. Zardoz truly is one of the strangest things I have ever seen @-) for a while after I saw it I had dreams that turned into nightmares when Sean Connery showed up dressed in... humm.. whatever that red thing was :-SS
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Jarrod wrote:
    Hawks (1988) (might be his best non-Bond acting role), and Lie Down with the Lions (1994) (might be the closest thing to a Bond-like role Dalton ever did post Bond).

Good call, that's my favourite Dalton film (Bond included). It may be a bit too dark for some (it's about cancer afterall) but I think it's worth seeing for Daltons performance.
    I used to watch "A Kid in King Arthur's Court" a ton when I was a kid. I know it has about a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes but I loved it. I saw it on TV a few years back and to my shock, Daniel Craig's in it. Also interesting is that it also stars Art Malik from TLD
    I love Art in True Lies!!!
    I always have had a softspot for "Robin & Marion" with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. A tale of an older Robin once more up to his old tricks with Robert Shaw as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075147/

Roger Moore in The Cannonball Run (1981), he is the only one who did a succesfull parody on 007 in this movie. Also a great cast in this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082136/

And of course Shout at the Devil (1976) where Roger and Lee Marvin are big game hunters in Africa during WOI. ANd also with Barbara Perkins, EON missed this very sexy lady. Well worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075214/

The Fourth Protocol (1987) with Pierce Brosnan, in an excellent cold war thriller where he actually plays a convincing baddy with Micheal Caine as the good guy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093044/
    I love Art in True Lies!!!

Yes I forgot he was in that! Amazing he goes from a really great good guy in TLD a really evil guy in True Lies
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I used to watch "A Kid in King Arthur's Court" a ton when I was a kid. I know it has about a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes but I loved it. I saw it on TV a few years back and to my shock, Daniel Craig's in it. Also interesting is that it also stars Art Malik from TLD

LMAO! I used to watch that movie too. I didn't remember him in that film, so I had to go on Youtube and sure enough he's there!

Here's the video:

If you would have shown me this video before CR came out and told he was the next James Bond, I would have called you a nut!

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think this thread has gone from little known films featurig the Bond actors, to favourite films featuring Bond actors. Either is fine with me.
    Crossplot with Rog is a good call, as is The Man Who Haunted Himself. Hawks is another (with Dalton). Quite a sweet film and Dalton does well in it.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 7,653
    NicNac wrote:
    I think this thread has gone from little known films featurig the Bond actors, to favourite films featuring Bond actors. Either is fine with me.
    Crossplot with Rog is a good call, as is The Man Who Haunted Himself. Hawks is another (with Dalton). Quite a sweet film and Dalton does well in it.

I did my best to come up with a few lesser known movies. They are not necessary my favorits but I would sit down to watch tem if they were transmitted on the telly.

Check this out:

It's the Charlie's Angels episode with Dalts. Whoever uploaded it added some music from Kill Bill. It actually sort of fits! Though I'd love to see the real thing too-- I can't tell what he's saying.

I sure with Dalton did more hand to hand in his Bond movies- he obviously could do it well!
  • Dalts had such an interesting career. Classic literature films like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, action films, and silly films like Looney Toons Back in Action.