The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

You get the impression that the film doesn't care that much about the story or Kananga's plan. It's just an excuse for set pieces.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, in the 70's, the story stopped being the focus of the Bond movies and it was more about the appeal of the production design, the humour, the tropes etc.

That reverses to a degree in the 80's but even Dalton couldn't shake them off completely after a dozen years of Moore defining Bond films that way. From FYEO to DAD they definitely tried making the story more important (probably why DAD's shortcomings are more criticised than MR's) but it took Craig to actually do that.

Speaking of Craig, though, QoS has been surprisingly good on rewatch. I wonder if I'll rank it above SP by the time I finish it.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I find the plot in LALD to be a lot tidier than the late Connery era predecessors. The heroin growing/distribution is subdued compared to starting nuclear wars and making diamond powered super satellites. But it is one of the more feasible and fun plot alternatives to the super over the top plots, which I am also a fan of. Of course it's not completely realistic, almost no Bond plot is apart from FRWL, which also has holes.

I also like how some of the gadget specifications are not mentioned. Like with GF, as great as the Q lab scene is, you can't help but then call every shot in the car chase when you know exactly what will happen. Same thing to a degree with SP, when Q tells Bond the watch has a loud alarm, you are waiting for when Bond will use it as his get out of jail free card.

I'd much prefer a gadget/feature be released as a surprise, like when we first find out the Lotus can turn into a submarine it was a holy s*** moment.
    The Lotus was a good one, but I really can't extend the same courtesy to the buzzsaw watch. That's just plot-induced stupidity.
    People mention how gadgets end up being predictable if they're introduced to us beforehand, which I can agree with. But it's interesting that DAD is probably the exception. Some really creative uses of the gadgetry there, even if they're all OTT.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I find the plot in LALD to be a lot tidier than the late Connery era predecessors. The heroin growing/distribution is subdued compared to starting nuclear wars and making diamond powered super satellites. But it is one of the more feasible and fun plot alternatives to the super over the top plots, which I am also a fan of. Of course it's not completely realistic, almost no Bond plot is apart from FRWL, which also has holes.

I also like how some of the gadget specifications are not mentioned. Like with GF, as great as the Q lab scene is, you can't help but then call every shot in the car chase when you know exactly what will happen. Same thing to a degree with SP, when Q tells Bond the watch has a loud alarm, you are waiting for when Bond will use it as his get out of jail free card.

I'd much prefer a gadget/feature be released as a surprise, like when we first find out the Lotus can turn into a submarine it was a holy s*** moment.
    Those are good points and I agree. I'd much rather not know about the gadget's purpose beforehand, unless the scenario in which it is employed is creative. Some notable exceptions for me are the famous briefcase in FRWL and the MR wrist shooter. The moments when they are required are so tense and life threatening that we are almost hoping that Bond won't forget to use it.

I agree on both the Lotus and the Rolex. Superb and iconic scenes imho, particularly the sub conversion. I'm still amazed by it to this day and actually still relate to Anya's shock as it first goes underwater. The watch is less exciting but the scene beforehand when Bond is cut is thrilling, and who isn't afraid of sharks out for blood? I was so impressed by that scene the first time I saw the film as a kid (LALD used to scare me) that I always knew I'd have that watch one day, and now I do, but without the cutting saw feature or the magnet regrettably.
    I'd really have liked them to try the "bullet deflecting" theory. :)
    Watching QoS. White's just been sat down for questioning. Why is M here? She's only the head of the secret service. Lol.

Also, how does White know Vesper killed herself? Only Bond witnessed that. (He reported it to M, yeah, but let's not assume Quantum has access to all of MI6's files for some reason.)
    Milovy wrote: »
    Watching QoS. White's just been sat down for questioning. Why is M here? She's only the head of the secret service. Lol.

Also, how does White know Vesper killed herself? Only Bond witnessed that. (He reported it to M, yeah, but let's not assume Quantum has access to all of MI6's files for some reason.)

White did know she was dead...he stood there with the briefcase watching Bond trying to revive her across the way,and then Bond giving up and hugging her,rocking back and forth.

He then left.
    Yeah, but he doesn't know it was suicide.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Milovy wrote: »
    Yeah, but he doesn't know it was suicide.

Thats irrelevant...she was dead,he could even have been taunting Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    M always had a habit of arriving in all parts of the world to help Bond.
    YOLT in his personal submarine or Egypt in TSWLM.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Never been a fan of traveling M.

Me neither...once in a while but not all the time...M should be exactly how Bernard played him,just the occassional jaunts.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    " there was one time in Tokyo with M ....... "
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Never been a fan of traveling M.

Me neither...once in a while but not all the time...M should be exactly how Bernard played him,just the occassional jaunts.

That was even too much for me. Stick to the Fleming approach, I say. One outing to Blades was enough (and of course one instance at his home).

Fair play,that would suit me...less rather than more,is the key.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    I'm watching FYEO and, having just reread the short stories that it was based upon, it strikes me how much more intense and meaningful the murder of the Havelocks is in the original. At a time when EON was intentionally trying to go back to Fleming, going the route of faithful adaptation in that regard seems an obvious choice. If you are familiar with the original (and if you haven't read it, I implore you to), then you know the death of M put the kibosh on that possibility. Trying to make that personal connection with a new M would almost surely not have resonated with audiences. I have never seen any indication that they were planning to go in that direction had Lee still been available, regardless.
    Yes, I'd imagine likewise. Steven Rubin's behind-the-scenes Bond book mentions that principal photography began on location in September of 1980, while Lee passed away in January of '81 (I suppose he very well may have appeared if they had done the studio-bound stuff first) and that the extent of the rewrites required of Maibaum consisted of dishing M's dialogue out to the other staff, so I assume the Havelock-M connection must already been done away with.
    Columbo is great -- fit excellently into the great ally mold. Sean had Kerim, George had Draco, Rog had Columbo, and Dan had Mathis. Tim never really had anyone similar. Closest thing in the Pierce era was Zukovsky, who I do like, but he's too much a punchline.
    That's very true. I was thinking about this more earlier. Raoul from DAD is a fairly Fleming-esque ally, and certainly more in the mold of those first four than Zukovsky. Shame that character was rather wasted.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Strog wrote: »
    That's very true. I was thinking about this more earlier. Raoul from DAD is a fairly Fleming-esque ally, and certainly more in the mold of those first four than Zukovsky. Shame that character was rather wasted.

Agreed..Raoul was definitely a throw-back to Fleming and part of the reason DAD started so well.

I would think Pushkin is the closest,similar character,to Fleming,for Dalton.

barryt007 wrote: »
    I would think Pushkin is the closest,similar character,to Fleming,for Dalton.
    Good call. Though I can't actually imagine Bond and he as 'friends' in the same vein as the others, it's definitely the closest thing Dalton had.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited October 2017 Posts: 299
    YOLT...

Beautifully photographed by the great Freddie Young.

That extended shot on the rooftop when Bond is being chased is one of my favourites in the entire series.

One benefit of Connery being more heavyset in this film is that his punches seem even more lethal than usual.

When Connery puts on the spacesuit and heads for the rocket, along with that great John Barry score, I actually get quite excited at the prospect of Bond going into space. Of course we did get this eventually in MR but that sequence must've been quite a tease for audiences at the time. Come to think of it, what was Bond's plan if he did take off in the rocket? To hijack it and bring it down somewhere then go back for Blofeld? Any ideas on how the film could've panned out differently if only he didn't take his air conditioner unit into to the rocket with him?
    I would think he didnt have a plan so amazingly Blofeld saves his life !!

Funny old world eh ?
    YOLT...

Beautifully photographed by the great Freddie Young.

That extended shot on the rooftop when Bond is being chased is one of my favourites in the entire series.
    Agreed on both those points. YOLT has risen through my rankings over the years. Top tier material.

I've also always wondered what Bond's plan was. Maybe his real plan was to get caught. ;)
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @barryt007 @Strog Perhaps your both right, if he went off in the rocket he knew he wouldn't have been able to use the exploding cigarettes that were set up earlier. I think Bond always plans his missions around the gadgets he is given to ensure he always makes full use of them, Q should really appreciate that more ;)
    Been awhile since I last participated in this topic so here we go:

LICENCE TO KILL-

Gunbarrel- Kamen brings apprehension to his Bond Theme music- the blood is amazingly red. Mickey G cameo...........
    David Hedison looks great- imagine had HE played Felix in TLD.
    Probably would have been given more screen time than John Terry.............
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 15,882
    What did he promise you? His Heart? Give her his heart.
    I'm with you on the Gun Barrel music and Hedison, that's for sure.

I was trying to think of a good word to describe the gunbarrel music and apprehension seemed to fit- like a sense of urgency.

Tim and David have good chemistry IMO. "You trying to get yourself killed???"
    Sanchez chilling out in his plane before being lassoed.
    I remember seeing this in the cinema opening day like it was yesterday. The parachute to the wedding has a sense of accomplishment and joy between the characters- cue titles and opening chords- sends a chill down the spine.
    Lots of cameras in the titles