Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    You don't need Millennial Q (and I do like Ben), when you have a realistic-gadget set-up seen in QoS!!! It was real within the movie's reality, whereas Q's radio in SF was "cute" but unappealing and the car and exploding watch in SP just pissed me off!....
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Slade fight's wayyyyy better than Hinx fight. Why? Realistic danger; bond gets hurt and bleeds.

Babs should watch DC in the first two of his efforts. That's why she got him in the first place, right?

Craig, like Bond, was a tough outsider.

Mendes tried to force a square peg into a circle; a Moore/Brosnan light interpretation, especially in SP...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Or, @bondjames , DC is like Jake LaMotta, the Raging Bull (RIP), and, until the end, he rages in the right fights "you never knocked me down, Ray. You never knocked me down".
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maybe this should go on the controversial thread: QOS is a smarter script, with more depth and better characters and action, than SP
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I could have believed it until SP @peter. Hopefully he has it in him for one last vicious hurrah, but as I said, these sluggers glow bright when young but tend to burn out very early unlike the distance rope-a-dopers like Ali/Ray.

I have a feeling we may get raw brooding emotion in lieu of physical intensity in the next one. I certainly hope not though.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... the opera sequence, from beginning to end, is better than anything in SP...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I dunno @bondjames , his latest stage reviews called him masculine and dangerous and all the qualities we love in this actor; he was crazed in LL...

He's got the talent, and the raw energy, as seen as those who saw OTHELLO, and the desire and ego of an actor, to make his last go around special, I think....

Don't underestimate him; i think he's smarter than a one dimensional slugger, @bondjames.
    We'll see @peter. He's still an excellent actor (that will never go away) but I didn't see that effortless raw caged intensity which he had in CR/QoS/Layer Cake/Defiance or Munich in TGWTDT/SF/SP or LL (which are all his most recent film performances). I did see it in Betrayal on Broadway though, so perhaps stage is where he will come alive going forward.
    I wasn't aware there was such a dedicated QoS contingent here. Good to know since I'm in that group and have been since '08 and never understood the venom it gets from some fans.

No, it's not on the level of CR, but it has its own merits, many of which others have listed previously. I'd watch it any time over the vastly overpraised SF.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,499
    Oh, I do beg to differ re: TGWTDT @bondjames: he was a different character, a lazy, self centred hedonist that couldnt even keep himself to account re: his "desire" to quit smoking (he never wanted to quit!), but he was raw in that, and intense; as he was in SF, chasing down Patrice in both altercations.

I think it's Craig's nature to be intense and raw; it's his default wire. That's where he goes to naturally.

I get the feeling that Mendes is to blame for a toothless DC performance in some of SF and most of SP-- after all, by SP, Mendes even erased Bond's natural ability to bleed!!!

Craig is a great actor, as you say; give him a director that says he's the Lion King, the aged warrior who would slit your throat, for Queen and Country... and yes, I see DC responding with a gutsy performance (that's why I think his Demange guy may be in the running-- young and intense and probably responds better to CR and QOS than SP).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As an add on, @bondjames : no matter what he did, could anyone ever take the tough Scott out of Connery permanently?

No.

Can anyone take the natural rawness out of Craig. Even LL showed he's got a natural crazy side that won't be suffocated.

An energetic director will play on his strengths.
    @peter, I think we differ on our meaning of intensity. Since my last post I put on a dvd copy of Suspect Zero, which I will be viewing for the first time. Coincidentally, before the film there is a trailer for a DC film entitled Enduring Love (2004). That intensity which I'm referring to is all over Craig in that trailer - so much so that I want to purchase the film. It's a product of youth. A sort of unhinged quality which is just below the surface of the performance. I have not seen that in him since the Broadway performance I'm talking about. I didn't see it in LL to be honest. That was all surface. I'm talking about something beneath.

Nicholsan had it in his earlier work, before he became a parody of himself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,499
    Fair enough-- and EL is great... my point, @bondjames, is his intensity might not be of the youthful quality anymore , but they can tap into the intensity the man has now. Don't copy the past-- what does he have NOW that can be exploited in his last turn as Bond?

I don't think raw intensity leaves, it just has a different perspective with age. He's can be the Lion King now, or the Raging Bull. The man has that energy, and that talent.
    I hope you're right @peter, and I look forward to seeing what he has in B25.

I just think people shouldn't expect to see CR/QoS Craig. That kind of performance is a product of his youth. I don't think he can give a similar portrayal now. He will have to bring something new, and perhaps that is his challenge, and what persuaded him to come back for one more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As an aside- DC Bond used Mathis as cover, not knowing if the man was alive or dead yet... That sequence was more bad ass than anything Mendes could give us in two films!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @bondjames , I agree... he's not the same man from CR... and as he's changed, so should the character... Thats not a bad thing!

I do think they need the production energy of CR and QOS (all hands on deck, knowing what the stakes are), and we do need a director that recognizes what other directors (minus Mendes) see in Craig-- he's an intense and talented actor...

But DC will bring his raw energy that projects from his lens now, not from a decade ago.

I am expecting, perhaps foolishly, that he will give us the aged warrior who still has the talent to slit your throat at the behest of her Majesty... and his arrogance is one that he now thinks he's seen it all. That will be his downfall.

Look, the guy has more more money than God. Or Dog. So why did he come back? He didn't have to. What happened to change his mind? It's not the money. He had a solid run. So why did DC come back? If B25 is a stinker, it could taint his legacy. So why risk this solid run for one more go???
    peter wrote: »
    Look, the guy has more more money than God. Or Dog. So why did he come back? He didn't have to. What happened to change his mind? It's not the money. He had a solid run. So why did DC come back? If B25 is a stinker, it could taint his legacy. So why risk this solid run for one more go???
    It's an interesting question @peter. One I've considered too, especially in light of his prior comments (I'm not referring to wrists and what not, but rather what he felt he had done with the character arc). We shall see what this is all about soon enough.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @bondjames , I am curious, like Mallory in SF (it's a young man's game... why didn't you stay dead?).

DC didn't hafta come back for any material reason.

I am curious too...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There are some genuinely beautiful scenes in QoS... the desert scene that ends with a few piano keys of what sounds like vesper's song...

I'm beginning to dislike Mendes more and more as I see what QoS is and how Mendes defanged Craig (workers for SF-- not SP).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hafta agree with @Birdleson
  • peterpeter Toronto
    This film is flying up my rankings
    I'm beginning to dislike Mendes more and more as I see what QoS is and how Mendes defanged Craig (workers for SF-- not SP).
    The fist fight in the dragon pit in Skyfall is pretty shameful.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    There are some genuinely beautiful scenes in QoS... the desert scene that ends with a few piano keys of what sounds like vesper's song...

Completely agree.

After CR and QoS proved we could have excellent Bond films without Q, Moneypenny and gadgets they go and drag all that guff back in!

Craig's Bond doesn't need all that baggage. He works best as the lone agent relying on his wits and tenacity.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I have just invested in a 50" TV for my lair (stepping up from a 20"). To celebrate I watched LALD, as it was the very first 007 film I saw at the cinema, and the one which turned me onto the franchise.
  • ossyjackossyjack Blackburn, UK
    QOS has the right idea and does a lot of what SP tries to do later. A direct link to the events of CR, attempts to develop the existing story, Bond trying to get revenge for Vesper, digging deeper into the Quantum organisation. Bond throughout appears quite haunted by recent events.

It just seems to go off onto a tangent with the Bolivia/Greene thing before coming back to Vesper and Bond right at the end.

Seems a mess to me. The QOS idea was good, but ultimately not done as well as it could have been with Quantum and Mr White on the side of the movie, and too much time on Greene and Camille rather than more interesting things, they could have followed this up with a trilogy in the next film and got closure with Bond bringing down Quantum or discovering Spectre yet they chose to go off on a completely different course with Skyfall and ignoring Quantum/Greene/White, before attempting, rather poorly, to draw a link between them all in SP.

Unfortunately their attempts to link the films in SP were weak. Minimal mention of Quantum/Greene etc. infact they seem ashamed of QOS and want to ignore it and focus on SF and CR (e.g. title credits referencing Silva, Le Chiffre, M and Vesper but no reference to Greene)

I don't think its as bad as some say it is but it seems to fall between the cracks in Craig's era as not really adding much. Too short and largely irrelevant scheme when the idea is that Bond is trying to get revenge for Vesper.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I love QOS and have always championed it.
    Greene is a great villain,and all the characters gel,with some great dialogue (the aircraft scene with Beam,Greene,Leiter and Elvis is wonderful).

It sits happily at #4 in my rankings atm.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree with you @barryt007 -- I really enjoyed it last night. It stormed up my rankings... Not sure where yet, but it's definitely high... and like you, I too think Greene is a fantastic villain (this opinion has never changed), and it surprises me Babs and Co seem to hide the film like the unloved red-haired child.

She should re-visit it and see what a gem she had, what great performances (especially from her leading man), and how you can do a great Bond pic without all the silly gadgets, Q and cutesy one liners (DC's Bond is witty, dry and sardonic).

Also, instead of stunt-casting Waltz, White should have been revealed as the ever-morphing Blofeld...

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I agree with you @barryt007 -- I really enjoyed it last night. It stormed up my rankings... Not sure where yet, but it's definitely high... and like you, I too think Greene is a fantastic villain (this opinion has never changed), and it surprises me Babs and Co seem to hide the film like the unloved red-haired child.

She should re-visit it and see what a gem she had, what great performances (especially from her leading man), and how you can do a great Bond pic without all the silly gadgets, Q and cutesy one liners (DC's Bond is witty, dry and sardonic).

Also, instead of stunt-casting Waltz, White should have been revealed as the ever-morphing Blofeld...

I just love how fast it moves, tells it's story and gets out. with none of the guff that can overload a Bond film.

The action is fast and violent without being too over the top, there are some great scenes between Bond and Mathis/M/Felix and Camille, the humour is sophisticated and sardonic, Arnold's score is first class and Craig is dynamite.

The only minus is the theme song but even that's growing on me. I actually found myself humming it at work....!

I just love how fast it moves, tells it's story and gets out. with none of the guff that can overload a Bond film.

The action is fast and violent without being too over the top, there are some great scenes between Bond and Mathis/M/Felix and Camille, the humour is sophisticated and sardonic, Arnold's score is first class and Craig is dynamite.

The only minus is the theme song but even that's growing on me. I actually found myself humming it at work....!

It's amazing how many times the opening of AWTD is used in adverts and in the background in TV shows and reality shows.

• ossyjackossyjack Blackburn, UK

Definitely this. It would have been perfect. Most importantly it would have nailed the link to previous films, drawing everything together, a familiar face from Bond's past who he has already encountered comes back to haunt him in SP.

It was all set up for it. Mr White is essentially Blofeld in CR and QOS just with a different name and organisation, it would have been very easy for White to be his code name and Blofeld be his birth/previous name.

Shame they wasted that opportunity and turned Mr White into a family man wanting to protect his daughter and once happily married. Mr White has been there throughout, in the shadows, orchestrating Bond's pain with Vesper, CR, QOS, it would have been much easier and complete if he was revealed to be the head of Spectre.

I can imagine the Spectre board meeting where Blofeld is sat silently at the head of the table in the shadows, nobody can see who it is, then suddenly it is revealed to be Mr White himself and it suddenly makes sense to Bond that this man has been behind it all.
    Opportunity missed IMO.