Bourne Bond now Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Bond.

2»

Comments

The "I think she has handcuffs", "I do hope so" exchange between Bond and Mathis outside the airport.

Craig's no Connery when it comes to flippant lines. He CAN be good but he needs to work on it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The "I think she has handcuffs", "I do hope so" exchange between Bond and Mathis outside the airport.

Craig's no Connery when it comes to flippant lines. He CAN be good but he needs to work on it.
    Ahh, that one. I got it, don't know why others didn't. I didn't think he mumbled it to death, but the scene kind of implied that he told the gag to Mathis in a quick moment and told him personally, so it was mumbled to make sure Fields didn't hear them. That's just how I look at it.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,351
    The audience I was with at the time got it, as they did with the "cheap wine" line, for what it's worth. Those two got the biggest laughs.
    That's fair enough. Did u laugh though? I'm probably just a bad listener and missed it. Nonetheless Connery can project his voice a bit better than Craig can IMO.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,351
    I didn't, on either line, though I thought both were very good. I agree, I think the issue lies more with the way in which Craig projects his voice, than anything else. If that makes any sense at all.
    One example to me is the "of course you are" punchline delivered to Plenty in DAF and Fields in QoS. Connery pulled it off but Craig - I really don't think so. That's partly why I don't think he was quite as engaging in Quantum as he was in Royale. Just my view.
    Similar to the "is that a compliment" line Craig says in the same film, he doesn't quite have it. Is this deliberate, I wonder as Bond isn't 'Bond'? I guess we'll know later this year.
  • Well let's be honest, one-liners isn't really Craig's thing, is it. Just like it wasn't Dalton's. Save those for the Moore or Brosnan types. You can't argue that just because Connery did it, Craig has to. Connery had everything the previous Bond had.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2012 Posts: 6,008
    The Bond era of the '60s--when Bond was the trendsetter--is long gone. Bond is big business and the filmmakers have become followers, not leaders, to ensure box office. But this has been going on at least since 1973.

Some examples:

LALD: blacksploitation films
    TMWTGG: Bruce Lee films
    TSWLM: Jaws
    MR: Star Wars
    OP: Raiders of the Lost Ark
    GE/DAD: previous Bond films
    LTK: Lethal Weapon
    TND: John Woo films
    CR/QoS: the Bourne films

I can't think of direct influences on FYEO, TLD, and TWINE offhand but I'm sure they're there.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 660
    disagree.....Craig Bond is amazing.........he is not bourne stop with these negative thread I hate them!
    echo wrote:
    The Bond era of the '60s--when Bond was the trendsetter--is long gone. Bond is big business and the filmmakers have become followers, not leaders, to ensure box office. But this has been going on at least since 1973.

Some examples:

LALD: blacksploitation films
    TMWTGG: Bruce Lee films
    TSWLM: Jaws
    MR: Star Wars
    OP: Raiders of the Lost Ark
    GE/DAD: previous Bond films
    LTK: Lethal Weapon
    TND: John Woo films
    CR/QoS: the Bourne films

I can't think of direct influences on FYEO, TLD, and TWINE offhand but I'm sure they're there.

I disagree Bond of the 60's was trendsetter, because North by Northwest by Alfred Hitchcock influence on Dr No. and From Russia With Love.
    disagree.....Craig Bond is amazing.........he is not bourne stop with these negative thread I hate them!

I agree the Bourne trilogy were an original and fresh look at the secret agent movies. And QoS was wrong to imitate them.

Craig is indeed very good, but as long as EON doesn't give him good stuff to play with he is just a waisted effort. And I find that a bit of a shame.

SaintMark wrote:

I agree the Bourne trilogy were an original and fresh look at the secret agent movies. And QoS was wrong to imitate them.

Craig is indeed very good, but as long as EON doesn't give him good stuff to play with he is just a waisted effort. And I find that a bit of a shame.

Who says they don't give him good stuff to play with. You may not like QoS but it has a good character development for Bond where he has to chose between revenge and duty.

As for the "I do hope so.." line the audience I was with roared with laughter. And "that last hand...it nearly killed me.." the audience appreciated the joke and delivery. Its a far better line then Brosnan ever got in his tenure?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2012 Posts: 15,694
    actonsteve wrote:
    Who says they don't give him good stuff to play with. You may not like QoS but it has a good character development for Bond where he has to chose between revenge and duty.

As for the "I do hope so.." line the audience I was with roared with laughter. And "that last hand...it nearly killed me.." the audience appreciated the joke and delivery. Its a far better line then Brosnan ever got in his tenure?

IMO the character developpement in QOS was non-existent. And yes I do prefer several lines of the Brosnan era over the easily forgotten Craig lines.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:

IMO the character developpement in QOS was non-existent. And yes I do prefer several lines of the Brosnan era over the easily forgotten Craig lines.

I missed the I do hope so thing and so did most of the audience I was with. I think CR had some funny lines though. Brosnan had his fair share of good lines too though, I hate when everytime somebody says something negative about craig brosnan has to be bashed in some way, I really enjoyed the brosnan films apart from the last bit of DAD.
    actonsteve wrote:

None existant?

He must learn to separate his feelings from his duty. At the beginning he is a bull in a china shop killing people all around Haiti - by the end instead of murdering Yusef, the man responsible for using Vesper and about to do it to another girl, he hands him over to MI6. Thats called character development.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2012 Posts: 15,694
    actonsteve wrote:
    None existant?

He must learn to separate his feelings from his duty. At the beginning he is a bull in a china shop killing people all around Haiti - by the end instead of murdering Yusef, the man responsible for using Vesper and about to do it to another girl, he hands him over to MI6. Thats called character development.

Yes, none existent, and your post makes me think even more that there's no character developpement in QOS.

actonsteve wrote:
    None existant?

Yes, none existent, and your post makes me think even more that there's no character developpement in QOS.

If you dont want to see it. Fair enough.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I remember "the last hand" line in CR got a big laugh at the screening I was at (I laughed too) as did the "do I look like I give a damn" line. But I don't remember the handcuffs line having the same effect.

As for character development in QoS there certainly was - but I wasnt engaged enough in the story or characters to really care for it. I can't put my finger on it but it just felt a bit..meh.