Is there anybody who actually DOESN'T like...

Comments

The only thing you can do is get used to Kermode. I disagree with him at frequent intervals, but the man knows his stuff and I take his opinion into consideration.

The last thing you do with people like that, aka jerks, is 'get used to them'. The first thing they want is things to go their way, and the last thing you want is for things to go their way, and the number one way to make that happen is to 'get used to them'.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The only thing you can do is get used to Kermode. I disagree with him at frequent intervals, but the man knows his stuff and I take his opinion into consideration.

The last thing you do with people like that, aka jerks, is 'get used to them'. The first thing they want is things to go their way, and the last thing you want is for things to go their way, and the number one way to make that happen is to 'get used to them'.

But Kermode is not a "jerk" at all. He is an honest, opinionated and very experienced film critic who not only gets involved with various efforts surrounding film, but genuinely cares for cinema itself and is wised in the history of it. He has gotten word out through books to get people informed that movie theatres are in a danger of disappearing, and he stands by his opinions he makes on all kinds of films. So, Kermode is honest, experienced, determined to stand for a cause, and is caring for cinema. If that's a jerk, then he is a real jerk, and me too.
    But Kermode is not a "jerk" at all. He is an honest, opinionated and very experienced film critic who not only gets involved with various efforts surrounding film, but genuinely cares for cinema itself and is wised in the history of it. He has gotten word out through books to get people informed that movie theatres are in a danger of disappearing, and he stands by his opinions he makes on all kinds of films. So, Kermode is honest, experienced, determined to stand for a cause, and is caring for cinema. If that's a jerk, then he is a real jerk, and me too.

No. He attacks anyone who brings up any point he doesn't agree with. He rudely reacts to interruptions. In the QoS video he even tells the other guy to stop interrupting, even though its a shared show.

Yes, he's excellent at voicing his opinions, but he's terrible at conversing and being able to even listen to another's comments.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

But Kermode is not a "jerk" at all. He is an opinionated and very experienced film critic who not only gets involved with various efforts surrou
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

No. He attacks anyone who brings up any point he doesn't agree with. He rudely reacts to interruptions. In the QoS video he even tells the other guy to stop interrupting, even though its a shared show.

Yes, he's excellent at voicing his opinions, but he's terrible at conversing and being able to even listen to another's comments.
    You're judging him on one interview?! Try giving his other videos a watch.
    You're judging him on one interview?! Try giving his other videos a watch.

First impressions have an impact. Didn't feel like providing the time when you can watch Ricky Gervais on the Graham Norton show :P

Maybe sometime. But I wasn't impressed.
    Mark can get a bit carried away sometimes as was the case on that QoS rant but one thing I love about him is his passion and animation. You can tell he was genuinely annoyed at QoS. It seemed to let him down big time.

There are times when he can go a bit too far but overall I think he's an honest man who doesn't sugar coat what he thinks.

If you listen to that show regularly he and Simon Mayo (the other man in the video) have some entertaining banter.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't imagine, for the life of me, people not liking Connery as Bond. The man set the standards - he's the icon. Even if some of his films' scripts let us down perhaps, Connery himself still performed well. We know he got bored at one point and yet he still outdid the likes of Lazenby or Brosnan in those films, IMO.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,661
    That guy reviewing NSNA looks like what would happen to singer Justin Bieber had he been educated at a British public school! :P

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,910
    The good Dr K can come across as a bit full on at times, but he knows his onions. Personally, I think Kermode was going easy on QOS.

Oh, and 'ooohh eerrr Danny Dyerrrrrr." No mention of Kemode should be made without also mentioning his Danny Dyer impression. Now if you don't mind, i'm going to go and hide before Dyer threatens to put something across my canister. ;)

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    The Dyer thing was an example of Dr K going a bit too far. It was funny the first couple of times but it got a bit tiring after a while.

Other great reviews worth looking at from Dr K:

Little Man
    All the Transformers films
    and especially Pirates of the Carrabean 3.

Anyway, don't get too far off topic.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 132
    I do wonder whether OHMSS would have turned out to be the masterpiece it was, had Connery been in the role. I just can't imagine him being vulnerable enough during the romantic scenes, especially when Mrs. Bond dies. While he wasn't an amazing actor, I thought George did a great job.

Thoughts?
    A sort of Roger Ebert variation then. I do enjoy some film critics points of view, they may not be to everyone's tastes but they do generate some good reading

Roger eber to me doesn't seem to be all "there" at times. The man rated speed 2 higher than die hard.
    At least he does all his reviews with a smile.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Check out his Transformers reviews or the legendary 10 minute long Pirates 3 rant, they're worth the watch - trust me.
    In regard to Majesty's with Connery one can only speculate. However there's no doubt it would probably be far more appreciated by wider audiences than it currently is. While it has gained popularity over the years many people still view Laz as the weak link.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
  • JamesC wrote:
    I strongly dislike Thunderball and I think Connery is extremely overrated. Dalton and Craig are light years more suited to the role of Bond. Sue me.

A LOT of people would disagree with me but I think that TB is where Connery started to lose a bit of his lustre. I'm not saying that he was clearly bored and phoning it in like in YOLT but there was a slight decline in the energy and sparkle that he had from DN through GF - it isn't gone but it's slightly...muted in TB. Of course he gets so many great lines ("Wait until you get to my teeth" etc) that I can see why many people say it's their favourite Connery performance.

• edited November 2020 Posts: 121
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Funny how some people say TB is where Connery started to lose his mojo because according to the man himself, TB is his favourite.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    JamesC wrote:
    I strongly dislike Thunderball and I think Connery is extremely overrated. Dalton and Craig are light years more suited to the role of Bond. Sue me.
    Dalton yes, Craig, god no. Although I wouldn't call Connery overrated at all, he was the best "film" style Bond, meaning he had every quality that general audiences wanted. He could be funny, but also deadly serious. He could be caring, but also brutal. He could look good in a dinner jacket, and in a baby blue one-piece. I just prefer Dalton because I liked his interpretation of Bond more than Connery's, and he seemed to care about doing a good job in the role, which is more than I can say for some of the other Bond actors.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Funny how some people say TB is where Connery started to lose his mojo because according to the man himself, TB is his favourite.
    I've heard him say FRWL is his favorite.

edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    I've heard him say FRWL is his favorite.
    Yes, and Dan's favorite!
  • ^and Dalton's!
    ^and Dalton's!

Oh yeah? Awesome! I wonder what Rog thinks is the best. Don't much care for George's opinion the smarmy dolt.
    JamesC wrote:
    I think he's best in FRWL and DN.

I agree. These two performances seemed to me to show the most depth of character; which, in my opinion, is something Connery was rarely able to do in any of his films.

I also agree that Connery is over-rated as Bond. Yes, he did an excellent job of introducing the world to 007 and set the bar rather high as far as style and expectations were concerned, but he still wasn't quite Fleming's Bond and really isn't that great of an actor. Still, he's third down the list on my ranking of the actors. Just behind Dalton and Craig.
    Don't much care for George's opinion the smarmy dolt.
    Sorry the man who was James Bond can't be humble about it. I doubt you would, to be honest. I probably wouldn't be that humble either. Lazenby was more like Bond in his one film than Moore in all his seven.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I read on IMDB that its also one of Pierce's favourites too. How can you dislike FRWL?
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Sorry the man who was James Bond can't be humble about it. I doubt you would, to be honest. I probably wouldn't be that humble either. Lazenby was more like Bond in his one film than Moore in all his seven.

Perhaps but Moore was more charismatic and entertaining to watch. He had a charm that made him more memorable.
  • ^and Dalton's!

Oh yeah? Awesome! I wonder what Rog thinks is the best. Don't much care for George's opinion the smarmy dolt.

Yeah it was during the red carpet or whatever for Die Another Day. Roger, George and Tim were there and the reporter asked him 'what Bond film was you favorite, excluding your own?'
    and Tim was such a class act, he laughed and said 'Well I wouldn't pick one of my own anyway- that would be pretty arrogant I think! I'd pick FRWL'
    It's on Youtube- some funny stuff from Roger too (as always)! :D

As for George-- I often wonder if he's even seen any of the other Bond films!
    ^and Dalton's!

Yeah it was during the red carpet or whatever for Die Another Day. Roger, George and Tim were there and the reporter asked him 'what Bond film was you favorite, excluding your own?'
    and Tim was such a class act, he laughed and said 'Well I wouldn't pick one of my own anyway- that would be pretty arrogant I think! I'd pick FRWL'
    It's on Youtube- some funny stuff from Roger too (as always)! :D

As for George-- I often wonder if he's even seen any of the other Bond films!

Yes I remember that. Wonder what Tim thought of DAD :))

I remember a few years ago George said on an interview with Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson that he'd never seen any of the films post OHMSS. Not sure whether to believe that to be honest. One can assume that he saw DAD and judging by his comments he made about "excessive gadgets" and "videogame territory" in a 1999 Bond documentary we can come to our own conclusions on what he thought about it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I read on IMDB that its also one of Pierce's favourites too. How can you dislike FRWL?
    Dr_Metz wrote:

Perhaps but Moore was more charismatic and entertaining to watch. He had a charm that made him more memorable.
    Yes, the image of 58 year-old Roger Moore in bed with Grace Jones has been burned into my mind forever. Thanks for the memories Roger!

Seriously though, Moore wasn't all bad. He's better than Brosnan and Craig, that's for sure. If he had played the role more straight, akin to his performance in TMWTGG, I would probably like him a lot more.
    I'm not sure whether "angry Bond" was the right call for Moore. Ive always felt that Moore, like Brosnan, could be ruthless in small doses but when you tried to make his character "nasty" it felt a bit awkward.

I think FYEO is probably a better example of a more "serious" Roger Moore. He's not as agitated as he was in GG and he doesn't slap women about but still shows he has a tough streak (killing Loque).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    but still shows he has a tough streak (killing Loque).
    Roger didn't even want to do that scene, which is what annoys me about him. He is supposed to be playing a somewhat brutal character, and he complains when he has to do something as minor as killing Loque. The other Bond actors would have done it, no questions asked.