Is there anybody who actually DOESN'T like...

Comments

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Here's the TB one. Pretty hardcore.

• So wrong.
  • When I was in the prime years for Bond fandom (ages 12 to 14) my friend and I used to catch a lot of flack for liking Connery as Bond. This was at the tail end of Moore's tenure and all the other guys I know LOVED Moore. Not only that but they thought that Connery was a terrible Bond and that he was a loser. One, he wasn't Moore, and two he wore "stupid clothes" and wore Brylcreme in his hair (this was the early 80's so the 60s looked out of style and ridiculous to guys my age).

That was a really hard time to be a Connery fan....I wonder what those guys think about Connery and Moore now?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I liked Connery in DN, FRWL, GF (even though I hated the film) and TB. YOLT, DAF and NSNA all had sub-par portrayals, which were probably influenced by Connery telling himself "I'll do this one, and then I'm back on the golf course" the whole time. DAF had, absolutely, the best of the three, but even that wasn't as good as DN and TB.
  • Connery was the business up until 1965 and then it all just fell away. We all know he resigned from the part during production of You Only Live Twice and only came back for an astronomical sum to play 007 for a sixth time in Diamonds, which in retrospect was a bad idea, regardless of salary. His last two outings will not be remembered as classic Bond adventures

Probably the best Bond ever, that's fair enough, but he's not my favorite of the actors. People have put Craig on a similar level recently but the latter has a long way to go to get anywhere near. Only Dalton comes close in the actual 'nearest to Fleming' arguement
  • Connery, at his peak, is still what every other Bond actor has aspired to, but hasn't quite managed, to reach. His first four films show exactly why Bond became the phenomenon it did. YOLT is a mixed-bag. His performance is certainly erratic. At times, he is in vintage, sparkling form, reminiscent of anything from his first four, at others, I'm left scratching my head. The part where he finally sees Blofeld should have generated SOME kind of reaction from him, surely? That was a crushing disappointment. I try to erase DAF and NSNA from my memory but, sometimes, in the deathly quiet of night, they come back to haunt me.

For the vast majority of his tenure as 007 though, Connery was (ironically) untouchable.

I love this forum. There are so many wildly differing opinions. Each given with sincerity. One thing puzzles me with people who applaud the 'bodybuilder-look' for Bond. That's fine, but you cannot then claim it to be 'closest to Fleming'. James Bond was not a body-builder. He was a guy who smoked up to 70 cigarettes a day, and drank heavily. He was slim, not muscle-bound. He was Sean AFTER his body-building phase, emphatically not during it.

In conclusion: All hail Sir Sean!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Connery, at his peak, is still what every other Bond actor has aspired to, but hasn't quite managed, to reach. His first four films show exactly why Bond became the phenomenon it did. YOLT is a mixed-bag. His performance is certainly erratic. At times, he is in vintage, sparkling form, reminiscent of anything from his first four, at others, I'm left scratching my head. The part where he finally sees Blofeld should have generated SOME kind of reaction from him, surely? That was a crushing disappointment. I try to erase DAF and NSNA from my memory but, sometimes, in the deathly quiet of night, they come back to haunt me.

For the vast majority of his tenure as 007 though, Connery was (ironically) untouchable.

In conclusion: All hail Sir Sean!

I like you! =D>
    I really rate Connery, I feel personally that the first three films are his peak but overall you can't deny he was a class act, I think it's pretty well known who my personal favrouite is but it's no coincidence that when ever someone new takes over they are herealded as " the best since Connery etc".

I think starring in the films that were made in the 60's is a big help though as they were the most stylish era.
    The 60s by far was Bonds peak closely followed by...err...I'm not sure. We've had some hits and some misses since then but nothing as consistently good.
  • GF (even though I hated the film)

...H....Ho....How can you hate Goldfinger?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:

Shame I wanted to hate this smug Mark Kermode wannabe so much but a lot of his criticisms of TB are spot on IMO.

In DN and FRWL Sean is class but starting with GF he and Guy Hamilton basically created the template for film Bond (wisecracking playboy) which took us away from Fleming Bond and resulted in the cliche ridden pastiche of DAD.

Don't get me wrong film Bond is entertaining and it ensured the series longevity but the best entries are always the ones with the most Fleming (FRWL, OHMSS, TLD, CR).

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GF (even though I hated the film)

...H....Ho....How can you hate Goldfinger?

Stupid, stupid, stupid villain (great actor, bad villain). Worthless Bond girl (Pussy Galore has no purpose in that film, other than to be the pilot, and her falling for Bond makes no sense, even less than usual). Crappy plot, with Bond in captivity throughout half the film (and then he gets cuffed to the bomb). Bad main theme (I hate the song and Shirley Bassey).

One thing that I absolutely love came out of this film: The DB5. That, and only that, is the one redeeming quality this film has.
  • Goldfinger's pretty good- but I can understand why it can be seen as 'slow'. You're absolutely right about the Aston Martin-- plus you have to admit the wetsuit-to-tuxedo is pretty smooth!
    Goldfinger is pretty much the first Bond movie to give us 'Bond stuff' that we would see in movies to come: gadgets, freakish henchmen, etc.
    Pussy Galore was pretty hot-- and I thought it was sort of cool how she was a bit older than Bond! That's the only time in the serious that's happened if I'm not mistaken-- unless you count Lazenby & Moneypenny. I know she was definitely a lesbian in the book, but was it true for the movie as well? I mean.... she DID sleep with Bond. And Bond is not a woman, last time I checked ;D
  • CarrelCarrel Denmark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R1cr0OdH4ww#t=58s this should start at 1 min. in. Looks like Connery to me
    I don't try to take these fillms <i>too</i> seriously. All the Bond films have moments of campy escapist fun: even the heralded Terrence Young films DN and FRWL: three blind mice sequence,the Dragon, the very character of Honey Ryder, and then Rosa Klebb's spiked toes, siamese fighting fish, Tatiana talking 'dirty' to Bond while Mi6 listens in, snipering through the mouth of Rita Hayworth, etc. Goldfinger is great for all it's campiness too, yet it still has genuine moments of danger and suspense. Pussy Galore is absolutely necessary to the story, for if it were not for Bond's charms and her inside position with the scheme, she would have not diverted Operation Grand Slam; it's a nice saves-the-day twist at the end. Plus, Connery is great in this film. He's super smooth and suave. Who cares if he's locked up? That's part of the story. He has plenty of Bond moments despite this. Plus, Bond being locked up doesn't have any thing to do with Connery's performance as Bond. Free or imprisoned, Connery plays one hell of a Bond in GF. At the end of the day, lighten up and just have fun.
  • Benny wrote:
    Shoreline wrote:
    This could be a good thread!!
    Connery is Bond God. End of. Even in DAF.....even in NSNA....
    I can`t believe some people don`t like Goldfinger! It isn`t a favourite of mine either, but in no way do I dislike it.

I'm not a fan of Connery Bond in DAF, he's not playing James Bond. He's playing a smug Sean Connery with a few witty lines. The first really below par Bond film.
    YOLT isn't much better, but at least he still retains his character portrayal of Bond.
    I agree with you mostly, DAF is bottom two Bond for me, and Connery is nowhere near the first four films, but there are moments of cool Conners, like the fight in the lift.
    Actually, I could just watch Connery walk, and I would be entertained.....I`m not very critical on the subject of Conners, come to think of it.
    I get the feeling he would have loved to have continued down the road of the first two films, but was frustrated by the time YOLT came along.
    The fact that he gave us NSNA says that he felt there was unfinished buisiness...

TB remains my all round favourite Bond film, and Connery gives my favourite Bond portrayal throughout.

• Yeah it seemed like (he felt) he was doing the same stuff over and over; no character development. Which is why it's a bit of a shame he didn't hang on for one more, as OHMSS would have given him everything he wanted!
    And you're absolutely right about NSNA-- his interest was definitely back I think
  • Out of 10 on a Bond scale I'd give Connery, with all factors considered..

Doctor No 9
    From Russia With Love 9
    Goldfinger 5
    Thunderball 7
    You Only Live Twice 6
    Diamonds are Forever 3

Not counting Never Say Never Again as it's not an actual Bond release (official)

I haven't seen Thunderball for so long now, I must try to sometime but I clearly remember it as one of Connerys better adventures, it cannot rise to the heights of his first two outings but by god it's an improvement on his final two appearances

BAIN123 wrote:

Shame I wanted to hate this smug Mark Kermode wannabe so much but a lot of his criticisms of TB are spot on IMO.

In DN and FRWL Sean is class but starting with GF he and Guy Hamilton basically created the template for film Bond (wisecracking playboy) which took us away from Fleming Bond and resulted in the cliche ridden pastiche of DAD.

Don't get me wrong film Bond is entertaining and it ensured the series longevity but the best entries are always the ones with the most Fleming (FRWL, OHMSS, TLD, CR).

I really like this guy. He's a big fan of OHMSS (but isn't a fan of Laz - although to be fair neither am I)

He hates DAD too :D :D

Judging by the last time I saw TB I think its one of Connery's best performances. Perhaps he was starting to tire of the character but surely the exotic beaches and beautiful women kept him interested - something YOLT lacked.

I will agree with Calvin that some of the underwater scenes do drag a bit but overall I enjoy TB.

P.s. I love Mark Kermode :D
  • Who is this Kermote person, a film critic ?
    Mark Kermode (not the bloke above) is an English film critic well known for his "rants" and his no-holds-barred opinions.

I'm not going to post it on here again but look up his Quantum of Solace review on YouTube to get an idea of what he's like.
  • A sort of Roger Ebert variation then. I do enjoy some film critics points of view, they may not be to everyone's tastes but they do generate some good reading
    He's a lot more extreme than Roger Ebert.
    There probably is someone but the majority of the fans (95 % maybe?) are definitely fans of Connery as Bond.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Mark Kermode (not the bloke above) is an English film critic well known for his "rants" and his no-holds-barred opinions.

I'm not going to post it on here again but look up his Quantum of Solace review on YouTube to get an idea of what he's like.

Yeah Kermodes QOS rant is quality although not sure I quite agree with all of it.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Yeah Kermodes QOS rant is quality although not sure I quite agree with all of it.

Just watched it. Though I agree on many points, I cant stand rude people. He just comes off as rude. You can be negative and not verbally attack everyone in sight.

Just came off as unprofessional, and I wont be quoting him any time soon.
  • A sort of Roger Ebert variation then. I do enjoy some film critics points of view, they may not be to everyone's tastes but they do generate some good reading

Roger eber to me doesn't seem to be all "there" at times. The man rated speed 2 higher than die hard.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Just watched it. Though I agree on many points, I cant stand rude people. He just comes off as rude. You can be negative and not verbally attack everyone in sight.

I agree with almost all of what he said. Especially the part about how if it wasn't james bond doing the fighting then this could be some generic jason statham movie. But to be honest, as much as I agreed, he came across as well, kind of a dick.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I agree with almost all of what he said. Especially the part about how if it wasn't james bond doing the fighting then this could be some generic jason statham movie. But to be honest, as much as I agreed, he came across as well, kind of a dick.

Yes the Statham line was extremely true. If I was having a 'conversation' which would probably contain him telling me I'm wrong the entire time, I wouldn't enjoy it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

The only thing you can do is get used to Kermode. I disagree with him at frequent intervals, but the man knows his stuff and I take his opinion into consideration.