Daniel Day lewis retires

talos7talos7 New Orleans
in General Movies & TV Posts: 7,888
He is a great actor; Sixty is such a young age to call it a career. I wonder if it's a health issue.

http://screenrant.com/daniel-day-lewis-retires/comment-page-1/#comment-2252865

Comments

That's too bad. I'm a major fan of his work.
    He is the kind of actor I could see retiring early,if times and situations in his art has changed.

The man has personal integrity and is a credit to Britain and his craft.
    If he has had enough ,it doesn't surprise me.
  • He really just didn't enjoy making films by the looks of it.
    He really just didn't enjoy making films by the looks of it.

Times changed,and I don't think he likes the look of it,as I don't.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can understand not liking the current state of filmmaking. I do think, if his decision is not related to a health issue, the right project could have him reconsider.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Knowing Daniel, he's retiring as a method practice just to come back in a film playing an actor who retired after his glory days who returns to the big screen after a hiatus to rekindle the love of art that he lost. Instant Oscar bait.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's like the Pon Farr. He has to act every decade. :P
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    One of the greatest actors ever. But considering his intense, immersive method acting I'm not surprised he wants to chill out and enjoy life. Maybe de Niro should have taken a leaf out of his book. I mean - at least day Lewis won't be appearing in Meet The Fockers.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    D Day is one of the greats. Retiring now means he leaves a near immaculate legacy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Steers clear of theatre which is curious. Usually actors who want to be considered amongst the greats, in the eyes of their peers, would tackle some serious theatre. Day Lewis hasn't really done that.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,721
    NicNac wrote: »
    Steers clear of theatre which is curious. Usually actors who want to be considered amongst the greats, in the eyes of their peers, would tackle some serious theatre. Day Lewis hasn't really done that.

Ever since he saw his fathers ghost on stage playing Hamlet he's stayed away from the theatre. Does seem a shame that he hasn't done more.

• RC7RC7
    Bugger. There goes my dream of seeing him as the OHMSS literary Blofeld.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Knowing Daniel, he's retiring as a method practice just to come back in a film playing an actor who retired after his glory days who returns to the big screen after a hiatus to rekindle the love of art that he lost. Instant Oscar bait.

Ha ha. Just maybe.
    Have to respect the man's decision, but what a talent going forward that we will all now miss!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Phantom Thread is his last film, then. Looking forward to it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    So Phantom Thread is his last film, then. Looking forward to it.

They'll have to pull a Meryl Streep and give him an Oscar nod on principle now.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    He'll be back.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    He'll be back.

I honestly think that old Danny Boy may have too much integrity for the current Hollywood crowd. You've really got to wonder about a group of people who, when they win their masturbatory awards, spend more time talking about how shitty Trump is and how they are the victims of crude internet language than their actual craft. Daniel always seemed to act for the love of it, not for the fame and the favors he'd get from success, so in that way he'll be very missed for having good sense and standards. I'd check out too if I had those industry colleagues.
    He'll be back.

I honestly think that old Danny Boy may have too much integrity for the current Hollywood crowd. You've really got to wonder about a group of people who, when they win their masturbatory awards, spend more time talking about how shitty Trump is and how they are the victims of crude internet language than their actual craft. Daniel always seemed to act for the love of it, not for the fame and the favors he'd get from success, so in that way he'll be very missed for having good sense and standards. I'd check out too if I had those industry colleagues.

He'll be back with the dogs!
    You do all know he has quit before, right? 15 or 20 years ago or whatever it was. He rarely makes movies, and there was no need that I can see to make an announcement about it specifically - again, and without giving any reason for it. Unlike some people I'm not so cynical as to think it has something to do with a new movie and potential awards campaign coming up (instead of making that announcement - if there was indeed a need to make an announcement at all - after that movie and potential campaign), but I also can't see why even make such an announcement. He's a very private person, and all this is... is just publicity that surely wasn't necessary. So I don't get it. Was it an announcement decided by someone other than him? (I wouldn't put that past the marketing folks.) Weird. I also obviously hope it's not a health issue.
    NicNac wrote: »

That would of course be an option if one doesn't like the movie-making process, but still wants to act, but he may not want to act at all (either simply doesn't enjoy it - a case of it being more trouble than it's worth for him - or can't for heath reasons or something). And in any case, not all actors enjoy or want to do both. There is no need for an actor to tackle theatre if they don't enjoy doing it, and he's hardly lacking in how respected and revered he is - plus he might not yearn for such plaudits, anyway.
    He has never stated that he has 'quit' acting before. He's gone on hiatus but did it without making a statement through a publicist. I'd say he's gone unless something amazing comes across his path - but he's entering his sixties and considering his immersive method he would find it more and more exhausting to physically and emotionally fill those roles. (Consider what he did for any of his Jim Sheridan movies especially.)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

He'll be back with the dogs!

Full speed ahead...
    Definitely was sad news to hear. It will be a big loss to the acting world. It wouldn't surprise me if he did decide to return for one or two more though.
    I think it's more or less inevitable the days, but who can say for sure? I hope that it's not really the end of his acting career, though.