CLOSED

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 4,602
    Religion is heavily interwoven into our culture,
    tonight T May (the most powerful woman in the UK) will be praying to her own invisible sky fiary for help. Partly because she really believes it could help (ignoring the fact that her God looked on uninterested whilst this other person strapped on his bomb, walked to the arena and pressed the button) and partly becasue she has very few options.
    Whilst not wanting to deminish the loss of life, the next few days will see the same patern within our country that we have seen so many times before and the scary thing is, we have nothing to offer in terms of a solution. There will be candles, services, Cobra meetings, "re-doubled efforts", security reviews etc etc but no solutions. This will just keep going and going
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nobody's talking about KGB style surveillance, but the fact is that almost every terrorist-labelled attacks in Europe in the last few years were made by people who were under surveillance watch-lists. We're not going to go on another endless debate on religion on this forum every time there is an attack, but can we please talk about why nothing is done to arrest/imprison/put in detention centers everyone on the famous 'S-file' watch-list? The Nice attack, the Charlie attack, the Bataclan attack to name a few were all perpetrated by people who were on terrorist watch-lists.
    Nobody's talking about KGB style surveillance, but the fact is that almost every terrorist-labelled attacks in Europe in the last few years were made by people who were under surveillance watch-lists. We're not going to go on another endless debate on religion on this forum every time there is an attack, but can we please talk about why nothing is done to arrest/imprison/put in detention centers everyone on the famous 'S-file' watch-list? The Nice attack, the Charlie attack, the Bataclan attack to name a few were all perpetrated by people who were on terrorist watch-lists.

Agreed.
    I share your frustration but these are all short term sticking plaster solutions, you lock up suspects, more will take their place
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Imagine if the world was as soft as it is now in 1939.
    More can be done to stop these attacks. More man power to prevent them. I'd rather spend my taxes on such things, than housing, feeding and supporting people that are only interested in committing acts of evil on the people that give them a home.
    In a fight of Good and Evil, Good will always win.
    Benny wrote: »
    Imagine if the world was as soft as it is now in 1939.
    More can be done to stop these attacks. More man power to prevent them. I'd rather spend my taxes on such things, than housing, feeding and supporting people that are only interested in committing acts of evil on the people that give them a home.
    In a fight of Good and Evil, Good will always win.

Absolutely.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,694
    @patb What is the long-term solution then?
    What is the long-term solution then?

War.
    War against what? ISIS?
    War against what? ISIS?

Stupidity.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Reports now say the Arndale shopping centre has been evacuated, and reports of an
    Arrest after the sound of shooting.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Again the losers strike, and at children no less. How brave a man are you to do this kind of thing? Vermin is the nicest description possible.

No reason to change the survaillance, unless they really failed. A far better solution is trying to find out what makes these people such sad losers (I think this is the only time ever I agree with Trump). In the Netherlands there was a group 'fighting' by hijacking and killing in the seventies (the Molluccans). They managed to stop those by gettingt these people to understand the society they were living in. Not the ones who committed attacks, the ones who might be inclined to do so. Still, those people never got this low.

@tanaka123 could you please stop the trolling? Either say something of interest or stay away. Especially in a political threat like this one.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Again the losers strike, and at children no less. How brave a man are you to do this kind of thing? Vermin is the nicest description possible.

No reason to change the survaillance, unless they really failed. A far better solution is trying to find out what makes these people such sad losers (I think this is the only time ever I agree with Trump). In the Netherlands there was a group 'fighting' by hijacking and killing in the seventies (the Molluccans). They managed to stop those by gettingt these people to understand the society they were living in. Not the ones who committed attacks, the ones who might be inclined to do so. Still, those people never got this low.

@tanaka123 could you please stop the trolling? Either say something of interest or stay away. Especially in a political threat like this one.

I have respectfully been giving my opinion, and treat this political threat very seriously - I live only an hour away from Manchester. I am offended that I'm being asked by you to stay away. I have not been as you put it 'trolling' - I have in fact been expressing my opinion on how others wish to let terrorists affect the way we run the rule of law. Hardly trolling my friend. Unless 'trolling' means disagreeing with others.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I personally don't see anything wrong with what @tanaka123 is posting. He has a point of view and he is entitled to it.

It's tragic that such an incident happened, but I recommend waiting until the facts are out there before rushing to conclusions.

@stag, thanks for your reply to my earlier post. I still don't see how you can be absolutely certain that law enforcement (even when working in concert with other countries) can definitively source a hacking threat, given we now know that the CIA (and perhaps other intelligence services) have the ability to misdirect investigators by altering the source of the breadcrumbs. Such information wouldn't have even been revealed if not for WikiLeaks.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A 23year old man has been arrested in connection with the attack.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I personally don't see anything wrong with what @tanaka123 is posting. He has a point of view and he is entitled to it.

It's tragic that such an incident happened, but I recommend waiting until the facts are out there before rushing to conclusions.

@stag, thanks for your reply to my earlier post. I still don't see how you can be absolutely certain that law enforcement (even when working in concert with other countries) can definitively source a hacking threat, given we now know that the CIA (and perhaps other intelligence services) have the ability to misdirect investigators by altering the source of the breadcrumbs. Such information wouldn't have even been revealed if not for WikiLeaks.

Thanks @bondjames because I take what is happening in Manchester very seriously as I often go there. It's quite horrifying to see the Arndale evacuated when you were only there weeks before.
    Yes, I can appreciate that @tanaka123. I'll be attending a Tears for Fears/Hall & Oates concert next month and I have to admit a certain level of concern on account of this.

I'm somewhat surprised by the choice of location, if it's the usual suspects. Possibly the security wasn't up to the same level as London. Still, as I said earlier, we don't know all the facts yet.
    Yes, I can appreciate that @tanaka123. I'll be attending a Tears for Fears/Hall & Oates concert next month and I have to admit a certain level of concern on account of this.

I'm somewhat surprised by the choice of location, if it's the usual suspects. Possibly the security wasn't up to the same level as London. Still, as I said earlier, we don't know all the facts yet.

I was in London over the weekend, it really brings it home when these things happen where you've been/live. I was a mile away from Westminster Bridge, hard not to think if it had happened on another day etc.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

You can have all the security in the world at your disposal. But if these bastards want to follow through with their plans, then they will.
    They're relentless, sadly this wont be the last attack. But at what point do things change?
    From where I'm sitting, they should've a long time ago. But when children are the target / victims. Then it's time to say enough is enough.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm sorry ,I should have been more elaborate:

----
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Wrong way to approach it.
    Absolutely.
    No.
    No, I just want to say I disagree with that proposal. Shouldn't really need any expanding to be frank.
    Stating the obvious.
    Do I need to?
    I'm not going to engage in puerile internet forum debate, sorry.
    Thanks, I'm really just concentrating on writing an essay, but there you go ... no time to get into the details on here ... sorry that I actually have other things to do today ...
    Funny man. THUNDERPUSSY - I bet you don't have a professional job then. Seriously what type of person comes on to a forum each day, spends time writing stuff and calls themself Thunderpussy?
    Well, since people on here want the UK to become a police state I may not come on here in future ...
    Absolutely, but I'm not coming on here to read about how people wish we had the KGB in the UK ... I'm off, sorry. And laughably I can't delete my account ... what a farce ...
    Agreed.

Absolutely.

All are extremely elaborate, as you can see. Well thought out arguments. Then, when you're actually asked to elaborate, you fall back to personal insults. This I call trolling.

This is a discussion forum, hence the questions to elaborate. You and me may agree on that we don't want a parliamentary democracy turn into a police state, but if you can't support your position you're not doing anyone a favour, the least yourself. I hope I made my position clear.

I'm sorry if I come over as harsh, but please remember the amount of festivals, concerts and gatherings that take place daily in our world. I work on a 'high risk' location. I guess I get used to the existing threat, but the chances of getting hit by a car are still increadeably higher then beeing a victim of such an attack. These are high profile attacks aimed at making us afraid.

Don't let these losers gain what they want: to influence your life.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Benny wrote: »

You can have all the security in the world at your disposal. But if these bastards want to follow through with their plans, then they will.
    They're relentless, sadly this wont be the last attack. But at what point do things change?
    From where I'm sitting, they should've a long time ago. But when children are the target / victims. Then it's time to say enough is enough.
    There is no immediate solution except extra vigilance and surveillance. Anything beyond that infringes on personal rights and freedoms. Once you go down that path, you cease to become a free society, and are one more step further towards a police state.

As I've mentioned many times on threads of this nature on this forum, there should be a 'requirement' to have undercover officers at all suspected places of worship 24/7, including surveillance equipment and listening devices. I'm sure God wouldn't mind if unsavoury activities were being concocted/devised/encouraged in his name from madrassas and the like. That would be step one.

The second step would be to stop selling arms and weapons to countries which encourage, fund & export this sort of brainwashing. Cut off diplomatic relations even, rather than travelling there and shamefully bowing before them.

The third thing would be levy tremendous fines on Zuckerberg, Page, Brin & Co. for any religious hate speech on their sites (including bomb making videos etc). All of this would be a start. The fact that it's not being done at present is the real disgrace.
    I'm sorry ,I should have been more elaborate:

----
    Wrong way to approach it.
    Absolutely.
    No.
    No, I just want to say I disagree with that proposal. Shouldn't really need any expanding to be frank.
    Stating the obvious.
    Do I need to?
    I'm not going to engage in puerile internet forum debate, sorry.
    Thanks, I'm really just concentrating on writing an essay, but there you go ... no time to get into the details on here ... sorry that I actually have other things to do today ...
    Funny man. THUNDERPUSSY - I bet you don't have a professional job then. Seriously what type of person comes on to a forum each day, spends time writing stuff and calls themself Thunderpussy?
    Well, since people on here want the UK to become a police state I may not come on here in future ...
    Absolutely, but I'm not coming on here to read about how people wish we had the KGB in the UK ... I'm off, sorry. And laughably I can't delete my account ... what a farce ...
    Agreed.

Absolutely.

All are extremely elaborate, as you can see. Well thought out arguments. Then, when you're actually asked to elaborate, you fall back to personal insults. This I call trolling.

This is a discussion forum, hence the questions to elaborate. You and me may agree on that we don't want a parliamentary democracy turn into a police state, but if you can't support your position you're not doing anyone a favour, the least yourself. I hope I made my position clear.

Wow, just wow. You are aware that I have friends caught up in this terrorist attack aren't you? How insensitive can you be? And more to the point I haven't made any insults at all thank you very much.

I'm sorry if I come over as harsh, but please remember the amount of festivals, concerts and gatherings that take place daily in our world. I work on a 'high risk' location. I guess I get used to the existing threat, but the chances of getting hit by a car are still increadeably higher then beeing a victim of such an attack. These are high profile attacks aimed at making us afraid.

Yes, I agree. That is their purpose and it's working. I have to admit that I am having 2nd thoughts about travelling to Europe this summer on account of the heightened threat.

Concerts of this nature and other 'high risk' tourist locations will require even more heightened security going forward. That would be a fourth step, in addition to the other ones that I outlined above.

Yes, I agree. That is their purpose and it's working. I have to admit that I am having 2nd thoughts about travelling to Europe this summer on account of the heightened threat.

Concerts of this nature and other 'high risk' tourist locations will require even more heightened security going forward. That would be a fourth step, in addition to the other ones that I outlined above.

Oh don't be too worried, I've lived in Europe all my life and i'm still fine. moreover my girlfriend comes from a conflicted area often in the news these days and we'll still be visiting her family in september if we manage. It's always very 'local' and you really have to run out of luck to be caught out in such a situation.

It's all part of life and our perceptions alter because we're made afraid of these things by the way it's brought in the news. In the seventies thay had plane-hijackings almost weekly.
    Not that I want to talk down the effect of these attacks, there's nothing more low then killing innocent people. But we shouldn't panick, we should quitly consider what we can do and then strike as hard we can the people who are responsible for these facts without losing what we protect and stand for.

Wow, just wow. You are aware that I have friends caught up in this terrorist attack aren't you? How insensitive can you be? And more to the point I haven't made any insults at all thank you very much.
    No, I wasn't aware, as you've not mentioned it before and hence I have a hard time believing that, as it would be the first thing to mention in this kind of a thread. If it's true my apologies, but as I said, there's no evidence to underpin your statement.

Are you now telling me the boldened text, written by you, was not meant as a personal insult? It certainly seemed so to me.

And tbh, if you think stating facts is beeing insensitive, I'm afraid life will give you a lot of lemons.

No, I wasn't aware, as you've not mentioned it before and hence I have a hard time believing that, as it would be the first thing to mention in this kind of a thread. If it's true my apologies, but as I said, there's no evidence to underpin your statement.

Are you now telling me the boldened text, written by you, was not meant as a personal insult? It certainly seemed so to me.

And tbh, if you think stating facts is beeing insensitive, I'm afraid life will give you a lot of lemons.

No, it wasn't meant as an insult at all. Thunderpussy and I are good friends. I think it's called 'banter' between friends.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,694
    'Youngest victim of Manchester Arena attack was of primary school age'', according to the BBC.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,602
    These guys are delusional. I am struggling to find a better word to describe them...utterly delusional. On the radio in the car I heard the Bishop of Manchester saying all the usual guf about strengthening communities, not letting this divide us, and inviting everyone to the service that he is organising this evening. IMHO the Bishop is equally delusional..just that the God he worships does not instruct him to blow kids up.
    And I have already heard two high profile politicians offering their prayers for the dead and injured (equally delusional) and Take That are also praying (for what that's worth)
    I know this view is not accepted by those of faith and there is the issue. Its impossible to truely grasp the fact that these guys are 100% delusional whilst you are suffering from your own private delusion.
    The first step to a solution is to accept that religion does play a crucial role in taking a "normal" human being (what ever that is) and turning them into someone who thinks that blowing kids up is not only a good thing but something that will offer rich rewards for eternity.
    We all know for sure that, as we speak, there are other men who not only admire this guy but look forward to the day when they can emulate him. Killing as many as possible and taking their place in heaven with a healthy amount of willing virgins.

PS
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/23/manchester-suffering-spirit-atrocity-arena-attack

This is the perfect example of the liberal media response. Ignore the hard questions and try to find positives amongst the dead bodies. I am sure Manchester and it's people are wonderful etc. But lets not fool ourseleves that they would far rather these things did not happen and journos were denied the opportunity to praise their fortitude.

No, it wasn't meant as an insult at all. Thunderpussy and I are good friends. I think it's called 'banter' between friends.

In that case I stand corrected. Doesn't take away your previous one-word replies in a serious topic. If that was 'banter' as well, all I can say I find it a very inappropriate place to 'banter' with your friends, on an international forum where most readers are not aware of this background, when so many young people have died.

This discussion has been closed.