CLOSED

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    The religion of peace strikes again. I wonder - as I suspect - the perpetrator of this vile act was known in some way to the police and security services, how those who lambasted my proposal that all known terrorist suspects should be detained indefinitely can defend their position?

This sort of thing will happen again, and keep happening until someone somewhere has the gumption to sit up and realise that we are at war with these people. IMHO they should be offered the same quarter as they themselves provide.

I also wonder if 'mental illness' will be used as an excuse to steer the matter away from its root cause?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Horrible
    stag wrote: »
    The religion of peace strikes again. I wonder - as I suspect - the perpetrator of this vile act was known in some way to the police and security services, how those who lambasted my proposal that all known terrorist suspects should be detained indefinitely can defend their position?

This sort of thing will happen again, and keep happening until someone somewhere has the gumption to sit up and realise that we are at war with these people. IMHO they should be offered the same quarter as they themselves provide.

I also wonder if 'mental illness' will be used as an excuse to steer the matter away from its root cause?

Wrong way to approach it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nowadays, those same intelligence gathering operations will be much quicker to execute. I guess that the country of origin will already be known, backtracking via various clues the attackers will have been forced to leave behind will soon allow triangulation.
    Can it truly though? There were recent reports that the CIA has the ability to change the trail of breadcrumbs to mislead investigators about the source of a hack. I'm not suggesting such misdirection is afoot here, but I think some skepticism about law enforcement's ability to source the threat may be in order.

Truly. My own experience of intelligence matters - serving within police intelligence for a period of time - gives me the confidence to stand by my statement. I worked within that department just as computers were coming on stream and I can report that, had anyone here lived in the UK who was brought to our attention, a complete intelligence file could be provided to those who requested it within a matter of hours. The component parts of such files would be garnered from many sources. The target individual need not have any police record in order for us to build up a complete profile.

Nowadays with the SB, MI5 and other security agencies working in such close cooperation and utilising the power of global communication to liaise with external organisations a detailed profile of places and eventually names, will be quite quickly forthcoming.
    Anyone who thinks that - just because they don't hear about it on the news - the combined investigative powers of those I mention above cannot yield results is fooling themselves.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nowadays, those same intelligence gathering operations will be much quicker to execute. I guess that the country of origin will already be known, backtracking via various clues the attackers will have been forced to leave behind will soon allow triangulation.
    Can it truly though? There were recent reports that the CIA has the ability to change the trail of breadcrumbs to mislead investigators about the source of a hack. I'm not suggesting such misdirection is afoot here, but I think some skepticism about law enforcement's ability to source the threat may be in order.

Truly. My own experience of intelligence matters - serving within police intelligence for a period of time - gives me the confidence to stand by my statement. I worked within that department just as computers were coming on stream and I can report that, had anyone here lived in the UK who was brought to our attention, a complete intelligence file could be provided to those who requested it within a matter of hours. The component parts of such files would be garnered from many sources. The target individual need not have any police record in order for us to build up a complete profile.

Nowadays with the SB, MI5 and other security agencies working in such close cooperation and utilising the power of global communication to liaise with external organisations a detailed profile of places and eventually names, will be quite quickly forthcoming.
    Anyone who thinks that - just because they don't hear about it on the news - the combined investigative powers of those I mention above cannot yield results is fooling themselves.

Absolutely.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Another sickening attack. I think it's time that if your actions bring you to the
    Suspicions of the police and Intelligence services, you should either face
    Imprisonment or deportation.
    Another sickening attack. I think it's time that if your actions bring you to the
    Suspicions of the police and Intelligence services, you should either face
    Imprisonment or deportation.

No.
    Disgusting events in Manchester
    Care to expand on your argument tanaka123 ?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The religion of peace strikes again.

Bit presumptuous mate. They haven't actually said it's a Muslim yet have they? Could just as easily be a Quaker.

When are we going to start calling out religion as a mental illness?
    Care to expand on your argument tanaka123 ?

No, I just want to say I disagree with that proposal. Shouldn't really need any expanding to be frank.

Bit presumptuous mate. They haven't actually said it's a Muslim yet have they? Could just as easily be a Quaker.

I'm willing to bet it wasn't a radical quaker fundamentalist!

It will be a Muslim - and by the end of the day ISIS will have claimed responsibility (though that doesn't hold much water, as they claim that any and all attacks are their doing). I'm also prepared to state - before the facts emerge of course - that the vermin responsible was, or at some point in the past has been, on the police/MI5 radar.

I'm willing to bet it wasn't a radical quaker fundamentalist!

It will be a Muslim - and by the end of the day ISIS will have claimed responsibility (though that doesn't hold much water, as they claim that any and all attacks are their doing). I'm also prepared to state - before the facts emerge of course - that the vermin responsible was, or at some point in the past has been, on the police/MI5 radar.

Stating the obvious.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,053
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Could you please explain how you would approach it?

Sorry. After posting I looked back at your last comment.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Could you please explain how you would approach it?

Do I need to?
    @tanaka123 . Please look at my last post. I posted before seeing your last comment. Of course you have no need to explain if you don't wish to, but it does put you on the back foot somewhat. I'd would have just liked to know what you disagreed with, that's all.
    @tanaka123 . Please look at my last post. I posted before seeing your last comment. Of course you have no need to explain if you don't wish to, but it does put you on the back foot somewhat. I'd would have just liked to know what you disagreed with, that's all.

I'm not going to engage in puerile internet forum debate, sorry.
    Well said tanaka123 your erudite superiority shines through. I for one am honoured
    To have witnessed it.
    Well said tanaka123 your erudite superiority shines through. I for one am honoured
    To have witnessed it.

Thanks, I'm really just concentrating on writing an essay, but there you go ... no time to get into the details on here ... sorry that I actually have other things to do today ...
    You seem to have plenty of time to reply ? Just not with any exposition of your views.
    Still, have a nice day ...... Not replying.
    Hope the missing children are reunited with there family's quickly, I can't imagine how worried the parents are.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325
    You seem to have plenty of time to reply ? Just not with any exposition of your views.
    Still, have a nice day ...... Not replying.

Funny man. THUNDERPUSSY - I bet you don't have a professional job then. Seriously what type of person comes on to a forum each day, spends time writing stuff and calls themself Thunderpussy?
    Me obviously, I do hope you try and put a little more imagination​ in to that essay of yours.
    Also please keep up the " I'm too busy to reply' line.
    Me obviously, I do hope you try and put a little more imagination​ in to that essay of yours.
    Also please keep up the " I'm too busy to reply' line.

This is funny. You're funny. This is forum is funny. I'm never too busy to read the **** on here.
    Same with me. I laugh out loud at some comments, as well as the fun of the quiz threads.
    Well, since people on here want the UK to become a police state I may not come on here in future ...
    I think there's room for all opinions, although after such an attack. I do think it's
    Understandable that many ( myself guilty as charged on this ) of wanting to give
    The Intelligence services, extra powers to help catch or stop these terrible attacks.
    I'm not saying we are correct, only that the need to help stop these terrorists.
    If others have different or better solutions, then I'm willing to hear them out, after all
    They may indeed have a solution.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325
    I think there's room for all opinions, although after such an attack. I do think it's
    Understandable that many ( myself guilty as charged on this ) of wanting to give
    The Intelligence services, extra powers to help catch or stop these terrible attacks.
    I'm not saying we are correct, only that the need to help stop these terrorists.
    If others have different or better solutions, then I'm willing to hear them out, after all
    They may indeed have a solution.

Absolutely, but I'm not coming on here to read about how people wish we had the KGB in the UK ... I'm off, sorry. And laughably I can't delete my account ... what a farce ...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Horrible news to wake up to.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    How many more of these attacks do we have to live with?
    Faceless, cowardly scum that live amongst us. Enough is enough.
    More has to be done by our governments, to rid us of this evil.
This discussion has been closed.