Your least favorite Bond fights

Comments

HASEROT wrote:
    Could be-- though I always thought Bond ended up there on purpose. I mean he kicked the lever without even looking at it. GoldenEye Bond was slick. It's a shame the movies got a bit worse as they went

they fell into the typical trap of constantly trying to one up themselves..

I agree with you bro!
    The fight in GE with Trevelyn was tops for Brozza and they just wasted so many great opportunities.
    TND- with Stamper
    TWINE- with Renaud and maybe even with Elektra. he could have had a good fight with her being the fact she was the main villian and a woman. (they were playing it too safe with this subject) Another wasted opportunity from the Brosnan days...
    DAD- fights with Mr Kil and Graves/Moon were also blown opportunities
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I agree @OHMSS69. Looking at the fight between Bond and Alec, they could have done so much more, and made it more tense and pulse-pounding.
    HASEROT wrote:
    - Bond vs. Baron Samedi... for such a build up of a character, he goes down like a punk (or so we think)... still doesnt excuse how short the fight was though..

- Bond vs. Scaramanga... even though it's the better part of the movie, it's an anticlimactic showdown - as the PTS almost gives away how Bond will defeat Scaramanga.

- Bond in AVTAK... Rog was getting up there in years - and his fist fighting wasn't too good when fresh into the role, now at age 58, it just looks like a man moving in slow motion.

- Bond vs Renard... for a man who is supposed to feel no pain, Renard sure does react to a lot of abuse - very anticlimactic... and if you watch the scene closely, where he and Bond have eachother by the throat, Renard never really clasps his hands around Bond's neck, his thumbs are a mile away from Bond's throat - it's quite silly, and I am shocked Apted didn't catch this when filming.. i've seen professional wrestlers do better lol.

- Bond vs Graves... the first image i get, is Bond being electrocuted by Star Wars style force lightning.... such a terrible low in the series... I remember before seeing the film, a lot was made up of Brosnan being more physical this time around - and after seeing it, I thought his physicality was no different really, except for maybe the sword fight.. but if we are talking fist fights - then i saw no improvement... the fight at the end of Goldeneye still stands as the apex of Brosnan's fighting skill.

Agreed on all, except maybe the last one, because there were some pretty brutal punches thrown around during that fight, and I love how the plane is being torn to shreds. It gives that fight more tension and thrill. However, I did not like Graves' stupid electrocution defense thingy. It took away the brutality and shortened the fight just because Graves was too much of a wimp to actually fight fair. Still though, it's better than some of the other fights, but not too many.

craigrules wrote:
    The end of LD wa going to be a sword fight they were fiming it when Charles and Di visited the set.

That would have been 10x better than the gunfight with Whitaker! Would it still have been with Whitaker, or was it to be with Koskov or Necros?
  • Can you imagine Georgi Koskov in a swordfight, I have trouble even picturing it, the character was far too campy to possibly be involved in such things, I don't think it would of worked with either of Whitaker or Necros either come to think of it, I wouldn't have said no to a repeat of the Blaydon safe house kitchen fight or some variation, that was actually quite well done. The end battle in Tangiers isn't too bad, a little short, but Whitaker had an array of different weapons at his disposal, the bust of Wellington falling on JDB at the climax was quite neat actually
    Wow. The Brosnan bashing just never let's up around here. I have to say, genuinely, that I seem to have almost diametrically opposite opinions on almost everything. It's really kind of amazing. I think the last fight with Renard is very intense and suspenseful... Oh well. Sigh.

Back to the thread topic, I was going to say that stupid long kichen fight between two men I don't know and don't care about in TLD. That was the nadir of the series to me. Let's have Bond drive away obliviously and let the stuntmen go at each other... LOL
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Can you imagine Georgi Koskov in a swordfight, I have trouble even picturing it, the character was far too campy to possibly be involved in such things, I don't think it would of worked with either of Whitaker or Necros either come to think of it, I wouldn't have said no to a repeat of the Blaydon safe house kitchen fight or some variation, that was actually quite well done. The end battle in Tangiers isn't too bad, a little short, but Whitaker had an array of different weapons at his disposal, the bust of Wellington falling on JDB at the climax was quite neat actually
    I agree. I just don't think that a sword-fight would have fit into that film at the end...and all I can picture is an awkward Dalton with an awkward Joe Don Baker swinging there swords at each other. (Accompanied by Whitaker's "Ha HA ha heh heh") I think the fight we got at the end of Daylights was done pretty well.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Back to the thread topic, I was going to say that stupid long kichen fight between two men I don't know and don't care about in TLD. That was the nadir of the series to me. Let's have Bond drive away obliviously and let the stuntmen go at each other... LOL
    You think that scene was the NADIR of the entire series???????????? I understand if you couldn't care for the characters but the NADIR?????? Really?????

;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    VeryBond wrote:
    Wow. The Brosnan bashing just never let's up around here. I have to say, genuinely, that I seem to have almost diametrically opposite opinions on almost everything. It's really kind of amazing. I think the last fight with Renard is very intense and suspenseful... Oh well. Sigh.

well its no secret, Brosnan just couldn't convincingly pull off the physical side of Bond (sans Goldeneye).. as Craig Ferguson put it "I could kick his arse" lol..... as much as my opinions on Brosnan as Bond have dipped over the years, I can still watch and enjoy his outings - with the exception of DAD - i need extra alcohol for that one, but GE thru TWINE I can throw on any time and enjoy.... but he never struck me as a Bond who was physical... after GE, he digressed into a Moore-style Bond.

SJK91 wrote:
    Can you imagine Georgi Koskov in a swordfight, I have trouble even picturing it, the character was far too campy to possibly be involved in such things, I don't think it would of worked with either of Whitaker or Necros either come to think of it, I wouldn't have said no to a repeat of the Blaydon safe house kitchen fight or some variation, that was actually quite well done. The end battle in Tangiers isn't too bad, a little short, but Whitaker had an array of different weapons at his disposal, the bust of Wellington falling on JDB at the climax was quite neat actually
    I agree. I just don't think that a sword-fight would have fit into that film at the end...and all I can picture is an awkward Dalton with an awkward Joe Don Baker swinging there swords at each other. (Accompanied by Whitaker's "Ha HA ha heh heh") I think the fight we got at the end of Daylights was done pretty well.
    VeryBond wrote:
    You think that scene was the NADIR of the entire series???????????? I understand if you couldn't care for the characters but the NADIR?????? Really?????

;)

You can use all the question marks you want, that's my opinion. As bad as any other fight might be, a big fight scene in a Bond movie without Bond is just stupid.

HASEROT wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:

well its no secret, Brosnan just couldn't convincingly pull off the physical side of Bond (sans Goldeneye).. as Craig Ferguson put it "I could kick his arse" lol..... as much as my opinions on Brosnan as Bond have dipped over the years, I can still watch and enjoy his outings - with the exception of DAD - i need extra alcohol for that one, but GE thru TWINE I can throw on any time and enjoy.... but he never struck me as a Bond who was physical... after GE, he digressed into a Moore-style Bond.

Once again, no matter how much one asserts their opinion it doesn't magically turn it into fact. Sorry. I thought Brosnan was perfectly fine at the physical side. Not a body builder, no...and I never wanted that in 007. He was lean and agile, with a certain - yes - grace and style. I'm more interested in Bond's ability to outwit and outmaneuver his enemies, not pulverize them. I also prefer a tall Bond, not a squat little guy with a Napoleonic complex.

Brosnan was more about style, charm, sophistication - on that we're agreed - and that's what I miss in our current "tough guy".

Can the actors be blamed for the choreography of a fight? Also isn't a lot if it down to editing, some of the early fights are considered the best and I think it' fair to say how the scenes were filmed are a major factor.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I'd like to add a TMWTGG scene where Bond is captured and placed in Hai Fat's dojo with fighters that are instructed to kill him. I always felt let down that he managed to escape with the aid of Lt. Hip and his nieces. In fact, he just stands aside and watches the young school girls do all the kung-fu fighting. Unforgivable in a Bond picture.

Having read all the comments I agree with most of them, apart from the OHMSS beach fight. And Brosnan was never convincing in a fist fight, which must have been a contributing factor as to why they gave him a machine gun to fire all the time.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 4,813
    There have definitely been some lumps of coal hidden among the gems....
    The worst ones I can think of:

Connery vs Wint & Kidd in DAF- tacked on, played for laughs. They really should have kept with the eerie vibe of WInt & Kidd. Take the beginning for instance, sure they weren't the most threatening villains, but they had a certain creepiness about them.

Moore vs Karate Students in TMWTGG- Please- hardly needs explaining. He didn't DO anything!! The little girls and their uncle did all the fighting! If Lazenby was in TMWTGG, he would have beaten everyone in that damn dojo and then had sex with all the women!

Moore vs Jaws (all confrontations)- This may be due the how I saw the films to be fair. I had played GoldenEye on the N64 before seeing any of the movies. According to the 'Aztec' level, I had imagined Jaws to be a frightening unstoppable death machine like Jason Voorhees with guns! You must imagine my shock when I saw Moonraker (the first Bond movie I ever saw after GoldenEye) and I found the disappointing truth :(

Dalton vs Ninja in LTK
    - even though Timothy Dalton is my favorite Bond, I thought this fight was lackluster. BOND VS NINJAS!! It should have been a big deal, but instead, poor Dalton got his ass kicked and knocked around- and if not for the signature gun, he would have been shot too!

Brosnan vs Renard in TWINE- this gets my vote once and for all. I even remember seeing TWINE with my dad towards the end of its theatre run, and not many people were there; during that fight I heard a guy yell 'Come ON!!' as Bond kept getting knocked down, wheezing, pain-face, etc. Plus the whole time we had Denise Richards yelling in the background- 'If they something something something reactor.... JAMES!!'
    But you know-- I can't even put all the blame on Brosnan for this one (though it's mostly him). I just recently watched Trainspotting for the first time and I was surprised at how INSANE and wild and animated Robert Carlyle was! He could have been better here too

Having listed these, I want to add that I liked ALL of Lazenby's fights and, to date, all of Craig's
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    VeryBond wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:

Once again, no matter how much one asserts their opinion it doesn't magically turn it into fact. Sorry. I thought Brosnan was perfectly fine at the physical side. Not a body builder, no...and I never wanted that in 007. He was lean and agile, with a certain - yes - grace and style. I'm more interested in Bond's ability to outwit and outmaneuver his enemies, not pulverize them. I also prefer a tall Bond, not a squat little guy with a Napoleonic complex.

Brosnan was more about style, charm, sophistication - on that we're agreed - and that's what I miss in our current "tough guy".

whoa relax... not everyone is out on a witch hunt to sabotage your opinions.....

just be aware, that a normal debate might occasionally pop up when opinions differ - just a friendly heads up, because I've seen some of your other posts, and there are far more shall we say "opinionated" people out there on these boards...

i was in no way, trying to assert my opinion over yours - i was just trying to backup my claim - because what is an opinion if you cant back it up?.... that is all - it wasn't a slight on you, so relax a little ;)

you thought he was physical enough..... fine.

i didn't......... that is all, the end........ now lets move on.
    The "worst fight" has to go to Roger Moore/Patrick Macnee vs the goons in the laboratory.

• With a cheesier than normal quip at the end, to boot!
    Deserves a 'Horatio Comic' (complete with hideous 80's sunglasses)

<center>1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4-1.jpg</center>

That picture of Moore with the sunglasses is both hilarious and frightening at the same time.
  • How did Master Dahark do those picture things, It all seems a lot easier than that complex Photoshop work from months back that seemed daunting even to look at

Was Moore really 57 years old in that 1985 release, he doesn't look too bad there actually

Incidentally Moore 'fight' at the Sutton mansion was the worst Bond fight of the 1980s, worst fight of Bond's tenure, worst James Bond film fight in the series, worst fight anywhere since the dawn of time most probably.

It was pretty lame
    Haserot - I'm relaxed, how about you? No problem. Just try stating your opinions without saying "well, it's no secret" or "everybody knows" as if it's a universal fact.

Otherwise, I thought my post explained my opinion perfectly well.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Haserot - I'm relaxed, how about you? No problem. Just try stating your opinions without saying "well, it's no secret" or "everybody knows" as if it's a universal fact.

Otherwise, I thought my post explained my opinion perfectly well.

lol, i am very relaxed - and your post would suggest otherwise about yourself, because you still being very defensive..

when i said "it's no secret" it's because the vast majority of Bond fans, and those not so dedicated fans i've heard bring him up, usually for the most part agree that he wasn't a very physical Bond - not in the Connery, Lazenby, or Craig sense....... contrary to what you may think, i am not trying to squash your opinion..... just stating that there are plenty who do, and would disagree with you....... that is all - believe what you want man, i am not trying to rain on your parade...

and for the record - don't tell me how to state my opinions when i've been more than polite towards you and yours........ tolerating one's opinion doesn't mean you have to agree.
  • Are we about to have a 'worst Bond fight' right here on the board? ;)
    @Master_Dahark: I thought those fights you listed previously were right on target! I;ve never been a fan of the Jaws fights either. They're too slow, unexciting, and quite frankly, not dangerous enough. I never felt like Bond was in danger fighting Jaws, because the man is so slow Bond could easily just run away! Also, I agree that the Wint and Kidd fight was pathetic, if you can even call it a fight. What about that great fight with Peter Franks at the beginning? Surely they could re-create that kind of fighting, and it would have been even better since it would be two on one! Instead we get the cheesy "EEEEE!" from Tiffany "Useless" Case, and that terribly inaccurate cake throw. 8-|
  • Does anyone remember when ken Barlow floored Mike Baldwin?
    Are we about to have a 'worst Bond fight' right here on the board? ;)

if so @Master_Dahark... then it's time to get ready.........

Telling someone to calm down when they state their opinion and then continuing to make it personal with each new post is not polite. We both said what we think - let it go.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Telling someone to calm down when they state their opinion and then continuing to make it personal with each new post is not polite. We both said what we think - let it go.

lol.. whatever you say sir ;)
  • The fight with Mr Wint and Kidd was pretty lackluster. Tiffany Case throwing the cake made no sense, what did she think that would do? It was just there purely to reveal the bomb. But I guess it stayed in line with the rest of the movie that made little sense.
    Uh... Last word! 8-|
  • The fight with Mr Wint and Kidd was pretty lackluster. Tiffany Case throwing the cake made no sense, what did she think that would do? It was just there purely to reveal the bomb. But I guess it stayed in line with the rest of the movie that made little sense.

It could well be one of the finest moments of Diamonds, St John threw the cake as probably a distraction, sort of an instinctive thing at the time, with Bond in trouble, any gamble is justified

Whenever the liner leaves port and we see Kidd and Wint at the windows we know we're in for a treat, it's genuinely amusing particularly the Mr Wint exit, 'ooooooooh, he left with his tail between his legs etc'. I dare anybody not to laugh

The fight with Mr Wint and Kidd was pretty lackluster. Tiffany Case throwing the cake made no sense, what did she think that would do? It was just there purely to reveal the bomb. But I guess it stayed in line with the rest of the movie that made little sense.

It could well be one of the finest moments of Diamonds, St John threw the cake as probably a distraction, sort of an instinctive thing at the time, with Bond in trouble, any gamble is justified

Whenever the liner leaves port and we see Kidd and Wint at the windows we know we're in for a treat, it's genuinely amusing particularly the Mr Wint exit, 'ooooooooh, he left with his tail between his legs etc'. I dare anybody not to laugh

Yeah, I love that part where we see their faces at the windows. When I first saw DAF, I was thinking, "Oh man! I forgot about those guys!" It's always good to forget about the henchmen and then see them come back for a final battle. Too bad that Wint and Kidd's "fight" wasn't very thrilling. However, I like the music in that scene.
  • Bond vs renard is pretty poor, though not including goldeneye, think brosnan fight scenes look too staged, pierce always looks reluctant or embarrassed after a fight. brosnan never sold a fight well.