Your least favorite Bond fights

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
There are a lot of great action scenes in the Bond movies, but which ones do you find the worst? Here is a list of the ones I was disappointed with:

Bond vs Rosa Klebb- too short, ended poorly
Bond vs Goldfinger- too short, very disappointing after wiating for an epic climax with one of Bond's best adversaries
Bond vs Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd- would have liked to have seen something more in line with the novel; I hate Tiffany Case's uselessness, especially when she throws the cake (dreadfully pitiful), and I loathe Wint's expression when Bond straps the bomb to his tie.
Bond vs Kananga- too short, very anti-climatic, cheesy death
Bond vs Jaws in Atlantis- way too short, not enough fighting, too much cheesiness; I expected something better, especially from one of Bond's best henchmen
Bond vs Jaws on Cable Cars- need I explain?
Bond vs Sanchez- a bit boring, and too short (seems to be a recurring theme here!)
Bond vs Renard- just plain horrid

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Renard, Graves and Jaws I think are the worst of the lot. Not many to really. Scaramanga's for all the build-up also seems uneventful to me.
    Samuel001 said:
    Scaramanga's for all the build-up also seems uneventful to me.

Agreed! It is just a little disappointing. Personally, I think it would have been better if Bond and Scaramanga engaged in a fist fight, and then Bond could kill him with his own Golden Gun, you know, something ironic like that. If you think about it, Bond is constantly using his enemies' own weapons against them. He killed Red Grant with his watch, killed Oddjob partly using his hat, Wint and Kidd using their flaming sishkabobs and bomb dessert, Tee Hee by making his mechanical arm malfunction, dropped Jaws into the shark tank using his metal teeth and a magnet, etc.
    vs renard cause it should have ended better
    yes i agree with @Samuel001 about Scaramanga
    i dont have many least favourie but here i would put vs Kananga too
    dragonsky said:
    i dont have many least favourie but here i would put vs Kananga too

Definately! Way too short for a main villain fight, boring, stiff, and exceptionally cheesy at the end.
    I'd say the Renard fight was the biggest letdown. It would've/should've/could've been so much better.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Brad Whitaker fight must have also just been tacked on at the end of The Living Daylights, just an awful ending to a great film.
    Samuel001 said:
    The Brad Whitaker fight must have also just been tacked on at the end of The Living Daylights, just an awful ending to a great film.

Agreed! It's as if the directors remembered, "Oh, wait a minute! We forgot about Whitaker. Okay, we'll just let him shoot up his war-themed fun house in a failed attempt to kill Bond." Should have been more thought out.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Bond vs. Renard takes the top(or in this case, bottom) prize. Bond and Tibbett versus Zorin's guards in the warehouse in AVTAK could qualify for this title but at least its clearly played for intentional laughs rather than unintentional laughs like the TWINE final confrontation.
    I see what you mean about the warehouse fight in AVTAK, PrinceKamalKhan. If it was clearly intended for laughs, then sure, why not? But if it was supposed to go along with the action in the movie thus far, then it failed miserably. Tibbett was awful back-up, Roger was a little slow, and the whole thing seemed like someone was yawning into the camera.
    After watching LALD today, I still think the fight between Bond and Baron Samedi is absolutely pathetic and way too brief. I mean, for such a good villain, there should have been a better fight there.
  • The fight between Bond and Mr. Kil in DAD. It's just difficult to watch. Those silly lasers zinging all over the place, Jinx swinging around on that table, Brosnan for some reason pulling out some stupid boxing style. It's just plain bad.
  • I don't want to keep the berating the man but some of Moore's action in A View To A Kill was a bit amateurish. That fight bit at the Sutton mansion with the rock salt shotgun was cringeworthy, I think Roberts took out more goons than Bond did, also as someone mentioned the warehouse scene also, difficult to watch sometimes

The cable car scene over Rio with Kiel also, wasn't really a fight as such, merely leaping about to very bad background scenery, the best fight scene arguably was with Chang in Venice. I would of liked to have seen him have a proper tussle with Mayday, Ms Jones would most likely have whipped his backside but it would of been something to see

Also in The Spy who loved Me there was some little action at the Pyramids, not the best or worst for Moore fights, although can be painful viewing sometimes. If you watch closely whenever Moore is confronted with some bad guys or hand to hand combat he usually pulls a face, see Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only for classic examples

Just to keep things fair Brosnan had an awful sort of battle in the steam room with Onatopp in Goldeneye, it was all a bit embarrassing for all concerned

Lazenby on the beach too for OHMSS teaser, not that bad a battle, but I took issue with Bond and rivals fighting on the shore and next second about half a mile out in the ocean, although Lazenby redeemed himself with a classic fight with one of Draco's henchmen in a hotel room
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond and Renard for sure. Pierce looks and acts like an old man, cooing with pain at the slightest flick and setting free his painface for several shots. The worst fight ever in the franchise for me, because Bond should be able to handle Renard better than he did, but instead the two act like two senior citzens fighting over a chess game. Horribly acted by Pierce, and what a shocker. :O ;)
    Bond and Renard for sure. Pierce looks and acts like an old man, cooing with pain at the slightest flick and setting free his painface for several shots. The worst fight ever in the franchise for me, because Bond should be able to handle Renard better than he did, but instead the two act like two senior citzens fighting over a chess game. Horribly acted by Pierce, and what a shocker. :O ;)

Okay, I disagree about Brosnan's acting, but I agree that the sub fight with Renard is definitely one of the worst. We MI6 members have had many a discussion about this terrible fight!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:

Okay, I disagree about Brosnan's acting, but I agree that the sub fight with Renard is definitely one of the worst. We MI6 members have had many a discussion about this terrible fight!

I don't mean his acting all around, but usually when a scene needs a great acting job we get pain face galore and miss out on a vulnerable Bond both mentally and physically. Come to think of it, one of Pierce's best acting moments would be the intimate time Bond and Natalya spend together before the big climax of GE. Pierce CAN act, but sometimes the scripts and scenes he acts in don't offer too much in the way of showing it. I too hold too much against him, but I'm only human.
  • Brosnan can't really help doing unintentional painfaces or amusing faces, that's his face after all. We all have different features given to us, if you watch some of Brosnan's other work outside of Bond you'll notice an intransigent face pattern that I guess all actors and people possess, it's only when it appears on the biggest stages that they get more noticed such as Bond for example. Brosnan best acting for me would include the initial meeting with M In Goldeneye, misogynist dinosaurs et al, yet again the showdown with both Trevelyan on the armor train and wasteland, at the pipeline with Richards, teaser in Bilbao and with M and Robert King at MI6 HQ, and the final bits with Elektra before she is slain
  • The end of LD wa going to be a sword fight they were fiming it when Charles and Di visited the set.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "The vase! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!"
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't particularly like the oddjob fight at the end of GF or the sandor fight, there's no tension
    The fight in the warehouse in AVTAK has been mentioned a few times and it is a pretty poor fight, I think it was mentioned the article about cuts to the Bond films and it seems this scene suffered quite a few cuts which could explain some of the lameness.
    any involving Roger Moore esp the embarrassing ones in avtak ie in Stacey's house where he tackles Zorin's henchman with a shotgun loaded with rock salt. Ooh, scary! Plus the stuntman are wearing really poor wigs! Moore was by far the least physically imposing Bond by far followed by Brosnan (although the Goldeneye satellite fight with 006 was very impressive)
    Renaud
    after all the buildup the fight was so one sided in Bond's favor. Made me yearn for the old Red Grant days...

Mr Kil
    Stupid with the CGI lasers Bullshytt.

Scaramanga
    Kinda anti climatic and zzzz

For me it the fight scene in TND where Bond is in Hamburg, and Carver's henchman take him to the soundproof room. Where Brozzer swings a lamp i think? It just does not look realistic! X_X
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    For me it the fight scene in TND where Bond is in Hamburg, and Carver's henchman take him to the soundproof room. Where Brozzer swings a lamp i think? It just does not look realistic! X_X

I've mentioned this before but won't add any Youtube things to it, people know full well this scene offers some cringeworthy scenes and unintentional humor. 'You zeem very conzerned abot Meester Carfers beeznis' -, 'He vants to know why', 'Put him in ze chair, maybe we play leetle number on zis head' etc, a few genuine laugh out moments during that bit whenever I see it. Even Rickman was more convincing in Die Hard

Brosnan was still capable for hand to hand combat in his second outing, but instead of some tangible hard men we get three of four rotund, out of condition old men trying to beat up on Brosnan, who makes a bit of a meal of it even, before laying the last one out with an ashtray that just conveniently happens to be laying around. 'Stumper?, er Stumper?, er, (crash). Tomorrow Never Dies for me is a very poor release but it does have one or two redeeming qualities such as what took place here

I've always thought that the punching sound effects in Tomorrow Never Dies were pretty cheesy...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    - Bond vs. Baron Samedi... for such a build up of a character, he goes down like a punk (or so we think)... still doesnt excuse how short the fight was though..

- Bond vs. Scaramanga... even though it's the better part of the movie, it's an anticlimactic showdown - as the PTS almost gives away how Bond will defeat Scaramanga.

- Bond in AVTAK... Rog was getting up there in years - and his fist fighting wasn't too good when fresh into the role, now at age 58, it just looks like a man moving in slow motion.

- Bond vs Renard... for a man who is supposed to feel no pain, Renard sure does react to a lot of abuse - very anticlimactic... and if you watch the scene closely, where he and Bond have eachother by the throat, Renard never really clasps his hands around Bond's neck, his thumbs are a mile away from Bond's throat - it's quite silly, and I am shocked Apted didn't catch this when filming.. i've seen professional wrestlers do better lol.

- Bond vs Graves... the first image i get, is Bond being electrocuted by Star Wars style force lightning.... such a terrible low in the series... I remember before seeing the film, a lot was made up of Brosnan being more physical this time around - and after seeing it, I thought his physicality was no different really, except for maybe the sword fight.. but if we are talking fist fights - then i saw no improvement... the fight at the end of Goldeneye still stands as the apex of Brosnan's fighting skill.
  • Brosnan couldn't have been that skilled a fighter in Goldeneye as he maybe lost the fight with Trevelyan and by chance of a (very handy) trap door beneath his feet would of had his head shot off. It was a decent battle though, I'll give it that, trimmed on initial VHS release editions as was some other bits of the movie people will have no doubt noticed
  • Could be-- though I always thought Bond ended up there on purpose. I mean he kicked the lever without even looking at it. GoldenEye Bond was slick. It's a shame the movies got a bit worse as they went
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Could be-- though I always thought Bond ended up there on purpose. I mean he kicked the lever without even looking at it. GoldenEye Bond was slick. It's a shame the movies got a bit worse as they went

they fell into the typical trap of constantly trying to one up themselves..
  • Brosnan' Goldeneye Bond even had a hard time of it (no pun intentional) of fighting off a 140lb woman in a steam room, I can appreciate given the circumstances even I would of taken a little longer with it with Janssen on top of me but Brosnan did make a bit of a meal of it