Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    A View To A Kill

Still quite enjoy this for all its flaws (And it has a lot)

Love the character of Zorin and his murky sinister history.

The plot to flood silicon valley is also a good one even if it riffs on Goldfinger's plan.

Action wise it's up and down. The fire in City Hall is a very well done scene as is the steeple chase and the climax on the Golden Gate bridge.

The fire truck chase is naff and should have been cut out and the fight scenes are pretty weak.

The fight in the lab at the stable has to be the worst edited scene in the entire series!

I'm assuming the fight choreography was so crap it had to be severely cut down.

Good performance from Moore who looks like he's enjoying himself even if he fails to convince in the action scenes.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    DAF

I had a blast with this one. It keeps getting better for me with each viewing. The film used to languish at the bottom of my rankings for years, but no more. I'm compelled to move it up a few notches after this round. It boasts a great score, a fast paced plot, some great action (that Vegas car chase is outstanding, especially how Bond wiggles away from all the cop cars in the parking lot), & superb lines. Most importantly however, it has a Bond actor firing on all cylinders and essentially carrying the film. When younger I disliked Connery's portly greying appearance in this film, but as I've gotten older (and perhaps a little less physically appealing myself - "nah, scrap that!"), I have begun to really appreciate his confidence, swagger and overall excellence in this film. I realize a lot of the budget was allotted to his salary, and it shows (some of the effects work rivals the legendary DAD surf for disgrace), but it doesn't really matter to me. This film may be quirky and chintzy (many of the Hamilton efforts are), but it has oodles of character and charisma. That counts for a lot in my book these days.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @bondjames, glad to see you've found a lot to love as I have. It's far and away my favorite of Hamilton's.
    bondjames wrote: »
    DAF

I had a blast with this one. It keeps getting better for me with each viewing. The film used to languish at the bottom of my rankings for years, but no more. I'm compelled to move it up a few notches after this round. It boasts a great score, a fast paced plot, some great action (that Vegas car chase is outstanding, especially how Bond wiggles away from all the cop cars in the parking lot), & superb lines. Most importantly however, it has a Bond actor firing on all cylinders and essentially carrying the film. When younger I disliked Connery's portly greying appearance in this film, but as I've gotten older (and perhaps a little less physically appealing myself - "nah, scrap that!"), I have begun to really appreciate his confidence, swagger and overall excellence in this film. I realize a lot of the budget was allotted to his salary, and it shows (some of the effects work rivals the legendary DAD surf for disgrace), but it doesn't really matter to me. This film may be quirky and chintzy (many of the Hamilton efforts are), but it has oodles of character and charisma. That counts for a lot in my book these days.

Me too. Just watched this last week and really enjoyed it.

Like you it used to be bottom of the pile but I have a new appreciation for it. Connery is just so good in it!

This is going to mess my ratings up!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I've always liked DAF. It's nice to see it getting something of a mini revival among the community.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've always liked DAF. It's nice to see it getting something of a mini revival among the community.

@Mendes4Lyfe, I'm a massive noir guy, so when I looked at the movie as a detective film with James Bond in it, I really fell for it.
    It's ironic that the Hamilton entry I dislike the most is the most celebrated amongst the masses and Bond fans alike (namely GF).

The other Hamilton Bond films are all guilty pleasures of mine. I love how he is able to combine the quirky with the suspenseful. They are really quite memorable films, and very distinctive visually. I don't think any other director would have been able to pull off something like LALD (just thinking about some of those outfits at Mr. Big's HQ is enough to send someone into a state of disbelief) or the Fun House in TMWTGG. I really do appreciate his contribution to the series.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    It is a bad film compared to the FRWL,OHMSS and CR of the Bond world,but it is still based in the real world unlike MR....it is one heck of an enjoyable ride...mainly due to certain excellent set-pieces and a PTS that i really think is excellent (although im in the minority on that one).
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It is a bad film compared to the FRWL,OHMSS and CR of the Bond world,but it is still based in the real world unlike MR....it is one heck of an enjoyable ride...mainly due to certain excellent set-pieces and a PTS that i really think is excellent (although im in the minority on that one).

I enjoy the PTS, capped off with Bond's nasty, "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld." He went there.

I enjoy the PTS, capped off with Bond's nasty, "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld." He went there.

I think 007 is quite ruthless in that PTS..showing ConneryBond is back...great fun...and great score..

I think 007 is quite ruthless in that PTS..showing ConneryBond is back...great fun...and great score..

He's a bastard throughout, really on edge. I love it.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

He's a bastard throughout, really on edge. I love it.

The Peter Franks fight is excellent,and i like the pool scene where you see the DN ConneryBond come back with the leather glove slap
  • For Your Eyes Only;

After watching this, I think it's fair to say that it's probably my favorite of the Roger Moore era, if not tied with TSWLM. There is so many great elements that this film has, it's themes are pretty powerful; the idea that revenge is not the way. The film hits us with the aspect of revenge from the point of view of three characters; Bond, who got his revenge when he killed Blofeld in the Pre Credit Sequence. Melina, who got her revenge when she killed Gonzolas, and Columbo, who got his revenge when he killed Kristatos at the end. After Moonraker went beyond our world (literally), I love the Flemingesque approach the film takes. The humor of Moore's previous efforts is still here, but much like TMWTGG, the film aims for a tone reminiscent of a Connery Bond film. That all being said, this is one of my favorites in the series, I'm not rather sure what the consensus of the film is on this community, but growing up it was one I thought was pretty dull, but I've learned to love it more and more as I continued watching it, and now it sits right in my top 10.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    On the community it is typically in the middle of the rankings. For me, it is one of my absolute favourites.
    As a kid I disliked it immensely. Then it moved into the middle of the pack. Now it's on the verge of cracking the top 10 or thereabouts. It's a beautiful & very atmospheric film to look at on blu ray, and since I got the box set, this has been the film I've viewed the most for some reason. In fact, I'm certain I'll be seeing it again sooner rather than later. It has great rewatchability value for me.
    I'm excited to revisit FYEO in a my full-on rexamination of Moore's era coming very soon. FYEO would probably rate pretty high of the seven, as I love the finale and the idea of Bond scaling a mountain to get what he needs, but I also know that the tone is going to be shot to hell like it can be for Dalton's movies at times, but to a lesser degree. In no other film but a Moore will you find Bond kicking a car with the villain inside it off a cliff in brutal fashion while also having a fight in a hockey rink played for laughs and endure a conversation with a comedy parrot who reveals to him the secret he seeks.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have watched quite a few during the last weeks. At the army base with five recruits (all of them 20/21 years old) and none of them has ever seen a Bond film. But they know the character obviously as Bond is one of the best known icons in Switzerland anyway.

Watched these in this order:
    DAF - TSWLM - MR - YOLT - AVTAK - TB - OP - NSNA - GF

What I noticed:

-The recruits liked all nine films very much.

-They still think, Bond is mainly a comedy-action franchise.

-Absolutely loved DAF and MR and AVTAK, the guys were in stitches. So was I, laughter is contagious!

-After TB they switched from Moore to Connery as their favourite actor. And they asked me if there are more films like TB. Didn't spoil anything.

-When Henderson appears in YOLT, they thought it's Blofeld faking his death and would later return as a surprise twist. (They watched DAF before YOLT). I only told them the truth when Donald Pleasance appeared later.

-Recognised all of the recurring characters, even the minor not so obvious ones like Shane Rimmer for instance.

-By MR they were all in love with Moneypenny.

-The most popular characters (besides M, Q and MP): Gogol, Sir Frederik Gray/Minister Of Defense.

-They are still puzzled and confused that Felix is played by various actors.

The next I will watch with them is FYEO and OHMSS, probably "back to back" on two evenings. They have no clue about OHMSS even if they know that "Piz Gloria" is in a Bond film.
    I am literally on the edge of my seat thinking about their possible reaction to the end of OHMSS.

One last thing I noted: It is highly satisfying and interesting to show Bond films to younger guys who have never seen any of them. I didn't plan it, just happened really because I have them on my MacBookPro which has stunning screen quality. Really looks as great as on my 4K TV, just a tad smaller ;) (My MacBookPro has a 2K resolution if I'm not mistaken).
    @BondJasonBond006, I can't wait to hear about their reactions to OHMSS. Not only because so much of it was shot close to home in an area they'd know, but also because of the artistry of the film on a technical level and a story one. I am sure that by the end of the film there won't be a dry eye in the room.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

I sure will report back when it happened (probably Wednesday after the easter weekend).

OHMSS could be quite a "shock" on many levels after the nine films we have seen so far I'd say. Lazenby being their "third" Bond and they don't know it's his only film.
    I really haven't spoiled a single thing about the Bond franchise.

Something I forgot to mention in my first post is that they love the scores. DAF, TB, AVTAK, OP especially I think.
    John Barry's scores really are timeless masterpieces.
  • GBFGBF
    @BondJasonBond006

very nice assessment. It is always interesting to watch people who have never seen a Bond film before.

During the past few weeks I have watched a few Bond films with my girl friend who hadn't seen a Bond film before. Yesterday we watched "The World is not enough". She quite liked it but completely disliked Dr. Jones (what a surprise) and some of the dialouge ("too much like a telenovela"). However, she thought Elektra was very interesting and even said that she is her favourite villain so far. She especially enjoyed the twist that Elektra is actually the main villain. Since she is a fan of Remington Steele she has always enjoyed watching Brosnan. She found him much more elegant than Roger in FYEO (which we had watched the week before).

She also likes the scenes with Q and M in this film. She thought the action was lame (she really liked the ski chase and the Citroen chase in FYEO). In her eyes, there were too many pointless explosions in TWINE.

And whereas she didn't like the score she thought that the title song was pretty good...
    The only person I have seen all the Bond films together with (except CR54 and CR67) is my son. He is 18 now, but I introduced him to the series when he was 10.

Some of his reactions to the films:

TB-a bit boring
    OHMSS-not sure what to think (due to the ending)
    TMWTGG-What a movie!
    All the Brosnan films-Meh

Some of his reactions to the actors:
    Connery-He sure has big eyebrows, and does he wear lipstick?
    Moore-the best Bond!
    Brosnan-Meh
  • GBFGBF
    The only person I have seen all the Bond films together with (except CR54 and CR67) is my son. He is 18 now, but I introduced him to the series when he was 10.

TB-a bit boring
    TMWTGG-What a movie!

Moore-the best Bond!
    Brosnan-Meh

He was certainly influenced by his father.... :-)
    Maybe. All I said was that I didn t want to buy those films, so we waited until they were shown on tv.

TB-a bit boring
    I can appreciate that a 10 year old would feel this way about these two films.
    TMWTGG-What a movie!

Moore-the best Bond!
    Brosnan-Meh
    I recently commented on another thread about how I've noticed that kids can be remarkably insightful. This proves it.
  • GBFGBF
    Might it also be that the target group for Bond films has changed over time? I guess in the 70s Bond films were rather seen as the family films with more jokes and less violence...
  • Octopussy;

I really love this film. It's just such an easy watch, and a really fun time as well. While I consider TSWLM and FYEO superior films in the Moore era, Octopussy comes in as my 3rd favorite Bond film of his. Again continuing the trend they were going for of more realistic, Fleminesque stories as opposed to the likes of TSWLM and Moonraker, Octopussy has, imho, one of the most intriguing plots of a Bond film. It delivers the standard humor and camp associated with the Roger Moore era (actually taking it further), but the humor works very well for this film in my opinion. I just can't praise the film enough.
    What I have learned is that the way I look at the films changes now. It started last year and now with this Connery-Moore Bondathon I realise how much I love all of those films. All 14 of them, even NSNA for the most part.
    You Only Live Twice

Like Thunderball the other day, this doesn't seem half as slow as I remember. Even the 'Bond turning Japanese' scenes are edited very quickly. The wedding scene is the only bit I reached for the FF button.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and although Connery looks bored a few times it's mainly a good performance.

The docks fight is very good with that stunning ariel shot and the Little Nellie scenes are beautifully shot.

The Volcano set is still amazing to this day and the final battle inside is a great climax.

The score is just gorgeous and the title song one of my favourites.
    The World Is Not Enough

Has always been my second favourite Brosnan after Goldeneye.

Still think its a decent enough Bond film.

The PTS is excellent, even though it's really long. Just love that little boat and Arnolds score really stands out.

The action after that is a bit meh, with no really good set pieces. I do like the shootout in the bunker and the bomb chase in the pipeline is pretty good.

Love Sophie Marceau's Elektra. Brilliant villainess. Sexy and cunning, its a really good performance.

I think Denise Richards though a limited actress does fine in her underwritten role.

Robert Carlisle doesn't impose himself on the film like he should after his sinister build up. Although he does get a couple of good moments.

Not sure where it will stand after I watch TND but it's certainly better than DAD.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, TWINE is actually underrated when you think about it.