How did you become a 007 Fan?

2»

Comments

• My foster dad took me to see the living daylights at the cinema when I was a kid, I didn't understand the plot but I remember being blown away by the stunts and gadgets. From then on I saw every bond film at the cinema (except LTK, I couldn't get in so I had to wait for the VHS release).
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,635
    actonsteve wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Interesting how many people became fans because of a computer game......instead of the books or films. I suppose that is technology. More people play games then read the written word which is rather sad.

Man, I was 6 or 7. NO WAY Childs with this age read books.

What the hell were you doing playing computer games at age six? You should have been learning to read..

No wonder child literacy rates in this country are going to the wall. Their parents were letting them play computer games instead.

I learn to read since i was 2-3 years old.

And it wasn't PC games, it was Nintendo 64. -.-'

And what country do you mean? I live in Brazil, rare to find childs reading book around here.
  • As I said elsewhee, I started reading Fleming's Bond novels in the late 50s when I started my university education and a few of us, the news friends, pooled our meagre cash together, and we bought the hardbacks mostily Fleming's because we thought he wrote so differently and his hero quinetessentially British. Was thrilled to see DN on the wide screen with a Bond character played by Connery. After returning from watching the film , we had discussions for days. The same case with FRWL.
    I learnt about Bond from a crush my mum had on Roger Moore! lol :)) Cannot recall exactly how old i was? Possibly 5 or 6? But it was my first movie LALD! I remember her talking about the Saint! But she told me this was another goodie i think she said?

So i sat down and genuinly did not talk or move for the entire film! The rest as they say? Is movie history! :D
    When I was young, my dad had a complete VHS-collection of the Bond films (from DN to LTK - this was a collection which came out before GE), with the original posters as the covers. Growing up (age three and upwards), I spent countless hours just drawing, and I could spend just as long watching the covers trying to figure out how someone could draw somthing so realistic (I recall the Octopussy cover being my favorite at the time).

At one point my dad noticed this, and took the films away from our living room and put them in a safe (!), probably afraid I would watch them and get scared. Anyway, this safe stands right outside my bedroom, and every night I had to walk by the safe, thinking - one day I have to see those films!

In this period they also started to re-release the James Bond comics in a magazine/album format here in Norway. I got to know John Mclusky's work on the Bond comic strip, and started to make spy parody comics, influenced by Mclusky's work and what i remembered from the film covers.

Fast forward to age ten, I really got tired of waiting, and I asked my dad if I could watch just one of them. He agreed and gave me the VHS of TMWTGG. The film answered my expectations, and then some. Two weeks later, I'd seen them all, from DN to TWINE - the most recent film at the time.

I still have the same expectations for every new Bond film, like when I worked my way through the VHS-collection, and I do still draw comics. Actually, I made a spy comedy comic strip for a local newspaper about three years ago. Altough I only had the spot in the newspaper for about three months, I still work on the comic; hoping to make a graphic novel out of it.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I became a fan at the height of the Bondmania in the mid 60's. I caught DN and GF on a double bill a year later and I was sold. I was impressed with all the elements of Bond's world. We were all pre teens and this was really so cool back then.
    The films were not shown on TV then and we had no video games and home video back in those dark ages. one just had to hope to catch them at the theaters.

Would like to see some of the old classics on the big screen?!!!
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    [
    And what country do you mean? I live in Brazil, rare to find childs reading book around here.

Oh I apologise....I thought you were American.

I love Brazil. Two of my exes are Brazilian and I have been there two times.

My favourite country in the world (after my own of course)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    actonsteve wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Oh lol, that's good :D it's an awesome country :) The Brazilian women are the best.
    Through torture involving me being strapped on a chair and being forced to watch Bond movies from 7 am to 10 pm. I couldn't read and didn't know english yet. But boy! What a great parenting I had!

True, my memory is a bit hazy, but I remember seeing some of the movies (Connery's and Moore's) at the age of four or five. I couldn't possibly have learned to read yet and didn't know english . But I do have this vivid memory that it must to have been at the age four or five, because it was the first home I had where I saw them. We moved when I was 5. So I figure it must to have been at the age of 4 or 5, because I remember my first home very well and the things that happened back then. One of them memories do involve me seeing Goldfinger and one of Moore's (not sure which one it was). Left a lasting impression.
    I remember watching a run of Roger Moore Bond films with the family when I was a kid, I think this may have been leading up to the premiere of A View to a Kill on TV, then later on I got a bit obsessed buying all the VHS etc.

I also remember being bought some 007 Body spray for Christmas!
    007 Nightfire

My cousin had it on PS2 at his house, we always played it, and then one day I found it at Game Stop and decided to get it. Then, I started watching the movies beginning with FRWL, and I was instantly hooked!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I must be SUPER intelligent because I watched my first Bond film BEFORE playing the N64 game :D

When I was 6 I'd never heard of Bond. My "obsession" was Sooty apparently.
    actonsteve wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    [

I do like a Brazilian myself ;)
  • I became a Bond fan after I watched Goldeneye for the first time at the age of thirteen.
    I also watched all the previous Bond movies and I thought Bond is the coolest man on earth. Also my friends and co workers teased me for being a James Bond fan. I
  • Rather prosaic for me. The first Bond film I remember watching was Live And Let Die, which was either a TV airing, or a VHS rental. It seemed so different from anything I had seen before. I was hooked. It remains something of a nostalgic favourite. I also remember persistently pestering my parents to rent one of two films from the local video shop: The Empire Strikes Back and Octopussy. We must have worn those two tapes out! Not sure which scared the tiny me more: Darth Vader or the clowns.

Incidentally, since he has been mentioned on this thread, Sooty would have made an excellent Bond: classy, silent, stealthy, and could handle a water pistol (and therefore, by natural progression, a Walther PPK). Or perhaps the LALD role of 'Whisper' would have suited him more?
    I first got into Bond when I used to spend my pocket money on the toy cars when I was younger (back in the late 70's and early 80's). Like all little boys I played with the cars and loved the way the ejecter seat worked. As the years went on and watching the films on TV I started to like Bond more. Then Goldeneye came along and that was it.
    I started to collect everything I could afford and the Bond anarac was born. Have not looked back and do not care that people call me sad or mad, but it is my hobby and my life and I love it !!!!!!!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    largo2 wrote:
    I used to spend my pocket money on the toy cars when I was younger

That same situation, in the mid 90s, got me into both Back to the Future and Speed Racer.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,699
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agreed, Dimi, methinks the bottom of those four threads you linked to essentially covers the same ground as this one. In which case...

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.