James Bond's connections with football?

2»

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I am Glasgow Rangers season ticket holder and I once sat a few rows from Sean in the 90's. He hasn't been to a game for a very long time.

Is he a Rangers fan then? Interesting. I'd support them myself if I was in Scotland.

Yes Seans a Gers man. He was a personal friend of Sir David Murray our former owner.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I think Football is a little too working class for 007 in Fleming's novels.

I agree.

Much as it pains me to admit it but I think if anything Bond would be a rugger bugger.

He would certainly have only played rugby and cricket in his various posh schools.

I consider him far too much of a loner to enjoy the crowds of a football match and it's just not a world that I can picture Bond in.

Totally agree. I think he would subscribe to there being only three types of sport - hunting, shooting and fishing. Everything else are games, and best left for children.

No.............i support Spurs! :)
    If Craig were a Chelsea fan he should be replaced as quick as possible for the 007 part. :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I am Glasgow Rangers season ticket holder and I once sat a few rows from Sean in the 90's. He hasn't been to a game for a very long time.

Is he a Rangers fan then? Interesting. I'd support them myself if I was in Scotland.

Yes Seans a Gers man. He was a personal friend of Sir David Murray our former owner.

Well, I'm very glad to hear it! :)
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,728
    Just wanted to amend this thread to have a discussion about James Bond and any connections that there may be with the game of football/soccer.

It was originally about supporting Chelsea FC if you were a Bond fan as that is where James Bond lived in the original Ian Fleming novels.

I want to expand the thread wider to ask what connections (if any) you see between James Bond (as both a literary and cinematic character and indeed beyond) with 'the Beautiful Game'?

I hope to get a good discussion going on this one! :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Isn't there a brief mention of football in both Fleming's FRWL and YOLT - something to do with the British preferring to make heroes out of their sporting teams, and not their military heroes, when discussing the British mentality by Generel G, and by Bond when he defends British honour in the face of Tiger's mocking tirade?
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Double post
    Bonnyrigg Rose got hammered by Hibernian today in the Scottish Cup. Sean Connery played for Bonnyrigg Rose.[img][/img]
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    You've got all you need with that paper I sent you! ;)

Yes, thank you. I will enjoy reading that!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Could you share it, please?
    I just remember the "Dynamos" in FRWL novel and some Arsenal? match in NSNA. I guess Fleming had no interest in football...
    I could send it to you, yes. Do you have an email address?
    Myself, I see Bond as more of a rugby player (in school) and fan. And of course, he would support Scotland during the Six Nations tournament. But that's just my opinion.
    I could send it to you, yes. Do you have an email address?
    Message sent to your gmail... ;)
    I have replied. Enjoy!
    I have replied. Enjoy!
    Thanks! Great work!

I remember now this photo in the Taschen book. You can read that Besiktas won 2:0 but I can't see any more...

13994255_ori.jpg
    Reading again the great @PropertyOfALady list of Fleming's references to "football", I'm starting to think that perhaps he wasn't so desinterested as one would imagine...

Does anyone know any other reference from Ian Fleming during his life or articles? He was Victor Ludorum at Eton but only in athletics I think...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bonnyrigg Rose got hammered by Hibernian today in the Scottish Cup. Sean Connery played for Bonnyrigg Rose.[img][/img]

And was offered a contract with Manchester Utd., but turned it down since he figured an acting career would last longer, and thus generate more money. Good Scottish thinking that gave us the perfect first Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Didn't Bond get a close look at a couple of pairs of Football Boots in the novel DAF
    Only a guess but I think SPECTRE was based on FIFA ;)