Connery's Most Ruthless Moments

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think FYEO is in my Top 3. I really don't know what it is, but when I rewatched it on the Bondathon I'm doing now, I just fell in love with it. OP would probably be in my Top 7.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    OP is in my top 10, definatly.

**Back on topic, Creasy, before the mods go crazy in here...**
    (They probably will.)

Anyone else on Connery's most ruthless moments?
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the beatdown of the driver in Jamaica in Dr. No. The way he says "Get up!" is vicious.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Connery hitting the man in Osato's bulding in YOLT... He whipped him so hard he destroyed the statue, and the large man dropped dead instantly !
    In DAF when Bond strangles the girl with her own bra. You actually get a little peep show with that scene, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Who cares whos better? *COUGH* *CONNERY* That is what this thread is about my fellow Bond lovers! There's a Bond for every person. Let us all coexist on the forum. After all, different opinions make things interesting. Let's get back to Connery's best and then @Creasy can start a Moore's most ruthless to please good ol' @DC007. Deal?
    I was actually considering doing that. Good idea!
    I have to agree with those of you who mentioned Connery's confrontation with Professor Dent in Dr. No.

One of the best scenes in a Bond film, in my opinion :-D
    I have to agree with those of you who mentioned Connery's confrontation with Professor Dent in Dr. No.

One of the best scenes in a Bond film, in my opinion :-D
    Absolutely.

Don't know which planet you live on, but here, Roger Moore IS the master.
    Attaboy!

:-bd

• Choking Marie
    yeah thats a good one... the choking sound she made was kinda lame... but then again how does one sound when they are choking

I think the moment in Thunderball where that foreigner is standing around in his room and Sean Connery yells at him to get out "NOW MOVE".
    Always the death of Professor Dent for me!
    Choking Marie yeah thats a good one... the choking sound she made was kinda lame... but then again how does one sound when they are choking

The best part of that is the "Speak up, darling, I can't hear you" as he continues to choke her. That's probably one of his more ruthless moments, I'd say.
    Little bum slap to Dink! Man talk :))

But seriously, gunning down Dent.
    Tossing Wint overboard with a bomb strapped to his groin was rather ruthless too.

By ruthless I mean taking these guys down with prejudice, emphasis etc. All business. "Enough of your crap" type thing.Goodbye, good riddance.
    Which is pretty much how Bond operates anyway.
    Licence to kill, and all.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, love the death of the guard in the swamp. Very brutal. The fight between he and Peter Franks ranks up there with my Top 5 favorite fights. Just early shades of how brutal Craig's Bond turned into.

The Franks fight is then ruined by the "You've just killed James Bond" line. The most ruthless Connery scenes are the Bouvar killing and chocking Marie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, love the death of the guard in the swamp. Very brutal. The fight between he and Peter Franks ranks up there with my Top 5 favorite fights. Just early shades of how brutal Craig's Bond turned into.

The Franks fight is then ruined by the "You've just killed James Bond" line. The most ruthless Connery scenes are the Bouvar killing and chocking Marie.

I love the crack of Bouvar's neck that you can hear when Bond twists the poker.

The Marie choke is also great, as is how crazed Bond looks. One of the best parts of Diamonds Are Forever is the implication of just how much Bond had lost it. Following Tracy's death I think M was forced to get the agent focused and sane again after many nights spent drinking himself into stupors and promising the brutal demise of Blofeld in delirium, the worst kind of obsession that he devoted his every breath and thought to realizing. It's clear that M gave Bond the time off to kill Blofeld just so he would focus on MI6 work again, likely because he refused to do anything until SPECTRE's No. 1 had died by his hand. The sadistic nature of Bond, and how he celebrates Blofeld's death in the moment ("Welcome to Hell") and after when M is briefing him on the diamond smuggling make him seem the real bastard. He's so rude and arrogant in that opening scene, blowing off M and embarrassing him in front of a colleague, it's like he's a different person. After all the wiggle room M gave Bond to get his selfish mission done and over with, the agent has no respect or thanks to return to his boss in repayment. By this point in the series the most Bond dared to do to M (when Connery was playing him) was to raise his voice a few octaves in infuriation, which the boss quickly shot down with a death glare. Seeing him act out this badly is wild.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service really gave us a window into how Blofeld was becoming a big source of conflict between Bond and M, as the former had too much of a history with the organization to let up ("Something of must with me") and the latter couldn't have his agent getting so emotionally attached and distracted from other worldly concerns that demanded his attention. After that film Bond's relationship with Blofeld is even more disruptive, and now M really can't keep him on the leash after all the tragedy the villain brought on his life. Tracy's death really cracked Bond big time, and it shows.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,727
    TB: Handing Fiona only her slippers when she asks for "something to put on" to get out of the bath...

The sheer brutality of it :-D
    Fiona's death is a top 5 franchise moment for me. She gets closer than most have to killing Bond, and the set-up is so perfect. It starts in the hotel where Fiona reveals that Bond's magic penis is lost on her, and she stamps her feet defiantly in the face of his attempts to convert her to a choir girl. Bond is then led by gunpoint to the car, and while escaping, takes a bullet. Only after hiding in the chaos of the Junkanoo parade he slips into a club, relaxing a bit and thinking he's out of the clear until he sees Largo's men surrounding him from all sides. The dancer floor seems the best place to go, where he can possibly sneak away in the crowd, but of course Fiona has beat him there. As the drums reach a percussive rise Bond spots the gun coming from behind the curtain and spins Fiona into the bullet path as the instruments disguise the concussive hit of the shot. The camera lingers on Bond dancing with Fiona's corpse as blood runs down the dress and over his fingers, his arms the only thing holding her upright as a look of disgust forms on his face. Her head limp on his shoulder like a sleeping lover, the spectators mistake their shared moment for a romantic dance, while only Bond knows the truth of the dark act he just had to commit for Queen and country-and himself. He puts on a jovial face for a second to drop the villainess into a chair surrounded by genial couples before he rips the facade away again and the distaste returns to mark his face.

One of my favorite Connery Bond moments, with great touches of Fleming.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Fiona's death is a top 5 franchise moment for me. She gets closer than most have to killing Bond, and the set-up is so perfect. It starts in the hotel where Fiona reveals that Bond's magic penis is lost on her, and she stamps her feet defiantly in the face of his attempts to convert her to a choir girl. Bond is then led by gunpoint to the car, and while escaping, takes a bullet. Only after hiding in the chaos of the Junkanoo parade he slips into a club, relaxing a bit and thinking he's out of the clear until he sees Largo's men surrounding him from all sides. The dancer floor seems the best place to go, where he can possibly sneak away in the crowd, but of course Fiona has beat him there. As the drums reach a percussive rise Bond spots the gun coming from behind the curtain and spins Fiona into the bullet path as the instruments disguise the concussive hit of the shot. The camera lingers on Bond dancing with Fiona's corpse as blood runs down the dress and over his fingers, his arms the only thing holding her upright as a look of disgust forms on his face. Her head limp on his shoulder like a sleeping lover, the spectators mistake their shared moment for a romantic dance, while only Bond knows the truth of the dark act he just had to commit for Queen and country-and himself. He puts on a jovial face for a second to drop the villainess into a chair surrounded by genial couples before he rips the facade away again and the distaste returns to mark his face.

One of my favorite Connery Bond moments, with great touches of Fleming.

Nice analysis. Agreed that the true magic of this scene was in how Bond's distaste for both the bloodshed he was involved in and the adversary who'd just been dispatched was visible through his sardonic facade.

I always liked to think that Connery's quips and dry wit were just a way of him coping with his plight (as Fleming intended) - his portrayal of 007 wasn't any more cold-hearted than that of his successors, he merely masked it better, within character.
    @AceHole, what make Connery's one-liners serviceable was just how many he delivered as you say, with a certain feeling like he was only doing it to smooth out the edges of the acts he had to commit for his job.

Like Dan's approach in the modern films, Sean always went for dry deliveries that let us peek in on some of Bond's palpable anger, frustration or bitterness at key moments, grounded in his amazing screen presence. When he's speaking with Dr. No at dinner he ribs him with spiky derision, visibly fuming underneath his skins as he keeps pricking his supper mate's ego. When he informs Pussy that Oddjob kills women, he notes it with a big hint of built up fury in his voice, still feeling the deaths of Jill and Tilly whose blood is on his hands and whose beauty was oppressed and shredded by the mute man only after he put them in his sights.

There's no deaths Connery's Bond enjoys, nor any he belittles joyfully with one-liners that would become groaners in later films. The only exception is in Diamonds Are Forever when he thinks he's killed Blofeld, after which he delivers a sadistic quip, but I accept that as him celebrating the death of a man he saw as despicable. Tracy's death had twisted him and his joy at the death of the man who was responsible for it is more than understandable.