British Bulldog on M's Desk

Has anyone noticed that there was a small bulldog figure on Smiley's desk in the Gary Oldman version of "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy"? Is M's bulldog an example of homage to the MI6 world of Smiley, et al? Could it be more than a coincidence?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It probably is a homage then.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In any case that bulldog is the best part about Skyfall.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hard to say. I believe the company that produces those statues are quite respected and of course the bulldog is the defining image of Britain, like the eagle in America, so it's not uncommon to see them used in films to provide some overlay of symbolism.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Again, can't this go on the Things you never noticed before thread. We are getting inundated with these things.

I can't disagree there.
    It could be an hommage to Bulldog Drummond who certainly was one the book hero's that was around when Fleming was a wee lad and the story have been called a source of possible inspiration for the writer Fleming.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think the desk could be an Homage to the desk Fleming used. Also the glass
    Panels could be an Homage to the many "windows" we've seen featured in earlier
    Films ?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SaintMark wrote: »
    It could be an hommage to Bulldog Drummond who certainly was one the book hero's that was around when Fleming was a wee lad and the story have been called a source of possible inspiration for the writer Fleming.

Another possibility I never thought of myself.
    I like the bulldog, it's acting skills surpass some of the main actors in SF. It may have only one facial expression but that's enough to make it memorable.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I like the bulldog, it's acting skills surpass some of the main actors in SF. It may have only one facial expression but that's enough to make it memorable.
    I see your hate for SF is like mine for SP from time to time :-D

It's what I like on this forum: So many different receptions of the same movies from the very same film series. I recently re-read the latest forum poll thread again and it's really cool how many different views people have of the various actors and movies. James Bond - very much alive an far from boredom even 50+ years after the first movie was released.

I put the bulldog on my wishlist this year btw :-)

We get it, you don't like the bloody film.
    It's a thread about a bloody ceramic bulldog, so I'll be satirical or even sarcastic :P
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He doesn't like it?

@Birdleson, it's amazing to me you haven't stumbled upon the millions of random posts of his in which he says an equally random critical thing about it.
    I'm channelling my inner @Getafix just with SF instead of GE :P
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I'm channelling my inner @Getafix just with SF instead of GE :P

Accept that @Getafix spends time arguing points as to why he actually feels as dramatic about something as he does. Just have sympathy for those of us that constantly have to put up with it, is all I can advise. Like M says in Spectre, "A license to complain is also a license not to complain."
    I'll try to remember that motto next time.
    Compared to the gazillion of ridiculous nitpicking and complaining posts about Spectre that "we" had and have to endure, my short statements about SF every now and then are a drop in the ocean.
    But yes, I'll try to remember that motto next time.

I still like the bulldog better than Silva, ha!