Do you believe in clairvoyants/psychic mediums/fortune tellers?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited November 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 17,727
psychic.jpg

Well, now. So far in the Lord Dragonpol's "Do you believe..." occasional series we have had ghosts and aliens/flying saucers. Now it is the turn of clairvoyancy, or put simply psychic powers. Put even simpler, the practitioners are known as psychic mediums or even that old fairground favourite the fortune teller.

So, the question stands as put by your Lordship, do you believe in such powers existing in any real sense or it always the case that such "powers" are merely used to deceive the innocent or foolish. Are they a sham to fill the pockets of the "gifted" psychic medium/fortune teller/mystytic/clairvoyant?

Briefly, I have come to believe that most if not all of these psychic mediums are scam artists who rip off vulnerable people with their so-called "powers". Indeed, this we have seen time and time again and there are laws against fraudulent mediums in various countries around the world.

On the broader point of whether psychic phenomenon exist at all or not I would not like to venture an opinion on as I truly do not know one way or another. I am very doubtful about it, though. Put me firmly in the skeptic camp on this one, though.

I need to hear from you soon or I predict that something very bad will happen... ;)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Owkeeey...

Uh... Seriously? After all the vitriol I've spilled before I guess I can do so once more.

The answer is no and as in the case of ghosts and flying saucers, anyone who does is a little - uh - not so bright.

Why this thread? I mean, this is going to generate the same BS we've gotten in the other two. The rational, like myself, will have to fight the urge to insult people, which is, by the way, the only thing one can do. The rest will accuse the rational of being insulting which, again, is our good right if you answer "yes".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Strictly forbidden in the Bible, so if you call yourself a Christian, you Must Not do it.
    My opinion, they're all scumbag charlatans, feeding off the vulnerable.
    I believe.........only when Solitaire does the fortune telling.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,727
    In defence of my thread I clearly think it a valid topic and a natural follow-on from the others. It is also the last in this series. As this miniseries has been successful and some members mentioned they would like to discuss this topic more in-depth, I am merely providing the space in which to do this.

But all means close it if you must but I'd like to see our thoughts on this subject as a community.
    I went through a period when I had a few readings by different tarot readers (none as charming as Solitaire), and I remember being told I was about to enter my "Saturn return". That meant my entire life was about to change, and by the age of 32, I'd be a much stronger person with a more positive sense of myself. Looking back, I'll have to say I agree with that assessment. Things did change drastically during that time with challenges I had never faced before. By the time I got thru that Saturn Return period, I did end up more wiser. Whether the Saturn return had anything to do with it, or I was just growing up so to speak is debatable.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Do we really need yet another thread for this kind of discussion? There should be a catch all topic all this can fit under quite easily.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    No. I agree with Lord Dragonpol. They don't exist.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just take one of the existing "Do you believe in _____" threads and do a weekly rotation of topics.
  • I agree, the various "Do You Believe..." threads should all be combined. That said, just as I "believe" in the viability of extraterrestrial life (posted on the appropriate thread) I also "believe" in the ability of human beings to predict the future...in a sense. I do it all the time, you do too.

Have you ever been driving your car...and up ahead, there's another driver you just KNOW is going to do something stupid? He's going to make an abrupt lane change, or weave, or SOME damnfool thing...so you give him a wide berth, and sure enough, half a moment later, there he goes, leadfooting it into the space you'd have been in but for that subtle little sense you had, don't go there? It happens to me often enough that I'm open to believing that perception is a little bit more than just the obvious stuff.
    No I don't.
    I agree, the various "Do You Believe..." threads should all be combined. That said, just as I "believe" in the viability of extraterrestrial life (posted on the appropriate thread) I also "believe" in the ability of human beings to predict the future...in a sense. I do it all the time, you do too.

Have you ever been driving your car...and up ahead, there's another driver you just KNOW is going to do something stupid? He's going to make an abrupt lane change, or weave, or SOME damnfool thing...so you give him a wide berth, and sure enough, half a moment later, there he goes, leadfooting it into the space you'd have been in but for that subtle little sense you had, don't go there? It happens to me often enough that I'm open to believing that perception is a little bit more than just the obvious stuff.

Classic case of looking for a pattern thats not there and than establishing a causation based on a false pattern. Humans do this all the time. I am gobsmacked at the TV roulette when they list the previous numnbers to assist punters look for patterns that are not there "Red is hot, high numbers are cold" etc etc

With the driving example, its pure confirmation bias. We are great at noting examples that confrim the theory but rubbish at noting all the times when it does not happen.

There is research to show that rats are better at predicting the future than humans as rats dont look for patterns when humans look for patterns (that dont exist) and base their choices on those patterns.

https://hbr.org/2015/01/rats-can-be-smarter-than-people

Do you believe in clairvoyants/psychic mediums/fortune tellers? No.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Clairvoyance and telepathy exist, but professional mediums are all scam artists.
    They don't exist, you can want them to all you like, but it's all bollocks! :))
    Clairvoyance and telepathy exist, but professional mediums are all scam artists.

So the professionals are frauds but the amateurs are genuine (or some of them?),

sorry to sound like a broken record but any evidence for that?

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ahem....

hell no.
    I control many ghost sightings with my mind and many UFO sightings are simp!y
    Me using my telekinesis, .... I am naughty ! ;)
    I control many ghost sightings with my mind and many UFO sightings are simp!y
    Me using my telekinesis, .... I am naughty ! ;)

You are Thunderpussy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I do find it interesting that those who say they believe in ghosts and other phenomenon of a supernatural or "otherworldly" nature are quick to dismiss those who say they see or feel the same things. You'd think they'd use any evidence they could to try and defend what so many view as delusions.
  • RC7RC7
    All bollocks.
    Crystal bollocks ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Crystal bollocks ?

Welcome back!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Crystal O'Macy? I once knew a Crystal Nerdlinger.
    hqdefault.jpg
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

Where s the evidence for that? I think you are a dupe, an imbecile or a liar.

Where s the evidence for that? I think you are a dupe, an imbecile or a liar.

Ok ... just quoting a bit of Cantona man, take it easy.

I think I can buy into that one...

edited November 2016 Posts: 17,727
    One of my favourite psychic spoofs:

:))
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Not unless they are as hot as Solitaire and scored by Sir Martin.

"Bond Meets Solitaire" is one of the most underrated sequences in the entire series. Not sure why.