Indiana Jones IV vs. Die Another Day (Bad vs. Bad)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I watched the all 4 indie films this weekend and I have to say that kotcs is a better film than dad. Kotcs had its silly moments but it still felt much like a typical indie film and it was far more entertaining than dad. I had no problem with shia as mutt, however, the only thing that bothered me most about kotcs was indie's disbelief in the subject matter of the supernatural considering what took place in the original trilogy especially in tlc.
  • I think I would rather watch Die Another Day again before watching Indy 4 again...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jackdagger wrote:
    I think I would rather watch Die Another Day again before watching Indy 4 again...
    While I never want to see either again(they cause me physical harm), I still recognize DAD as a film and part of the Bond franchise. Indy 4 however, I have erased from existence in cinema. You see, TWINE didn't end with Bond riding into the sunset, signifying the end of a...LAST CRUSADE, only to have another film go back on that promise with a crappy return! I'm looking at you George Lucas!!! So, DAD is slightly advantageous in that regard...

P.S. While we are at it, we should compare Tamahori to Lucas...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Both KoTKS and DAD have been accused of "raping" their protagonists. ;)
  • While I never want to see either again(they cause me physical harm), I still recognize DAD as a film and part of the Bond franchise. Indy 4 however, I have erased from existence in cinema. You see, TWINE didn't end with Bond riding into the sunset, signifying the end of a...LAST CRUSADE, only to have another film go back on that promise with a crappy return! I'm looking at you George Lucas!!! So, DAD is slightly advantageous in that regard...

YES! I feel the same way. DAD is embarassing, but it's still a Bond movie. I just pretend that Indy 4 doesn't exist.

@BAIN123: South Park? "Squeal like a pig!" XD

• Indy 4 is a million miles better than the mess of DAD, wins hands down for me!
    This is a tough one both abominations. indy 4 scrapes a win! can't give a good reason. just based on the fact i would pick that to watch over DAD.
    What is even more shocking is how much each film made at the box office.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    i'll take Crystal Skull over Die Another Day seven ways to sunday...

while KOTCS isn't on the same level as ROTLA or TLC, I still find it enjoyable, despite it's dumb moments (and they are brief moments that don't even come close to making up the majority of the movie).. and the movie isn't as reliant on CGI as one would think - sure it was used.. but it wasn't all over the place.... i originally thought that it was, like many others did.. but after watching the making of documentary - they really went out of their way to avoid using it as much as possible..... now, had they applied that same dedication to alien at the end - maybe this wouldn't be as big of an issue lol..... I remember liking KOTCS when it came out in theaters..... and after buying it on DVD i hadn't watched it for like a year... I popped it back in, just to see if maybe my feelings were influenced by the hype of a new Indy flick.... and I can honestly say they weren't.... i have the same feelings now that I did then - i liked it.

wish i had the same luck with DAD.... the more i watch it, it's like I find more things to dislike about it.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    7. NO REALISM.

In either plot. Nuff said.
    This is not a valid reason for a movie being bad.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    CR did that more than DAD ever could have, thank you very much.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    7. NO REALISM.

BAIN123 wrote:

If you either WANTED or EXPECTED the film/s to have a realistic plot, it is quite the downer and a very valid reason to dislike the film.
    If you either WANTED or EXPECTED the film/s to have a realistic plot, it is quite the downer and a very valid reason to dislike the film.
    Did anything make it seem like DAD was going to be a dark, serious, down-to-earth movie? None of the trailers did. The same actually goes for Indy IV, nothing really made that film look amazing either. And Indiana Jones was never really that realistic anyway.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    Did anything make it seem like DAD was going to be a dark, serious, down-to-earth movie? None of the trailers did. The same actually goes for Indy IV, nothing really made that film look amazing either.
    The beginning of DAD was quite promising. We had Bond captured and vulnerable, and we saw as it played out that he might not be saved. Then we hit Iceland and the film sinks. But it was promising at the start, leaving a bad taste and lost potential. With Indy 4 I don't much mind when it started sucking. I'm never watching it again and that's that. My hope for that film was that Lucas and Spielberg would be more intelligent than to make another and discard it before filming began. But alas, now it must be erased from cinema history...
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Oh no =;
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Oh no =;
    Don't get me wrong, It's not like I believe DAD is a shining piece of Bond excellence or something. From 1995 on the films just kept declining in quality. TND is worse than GE, TWINE is worse than TND, ect. Although Brosnan's films aren't that unwatchable. If I'm in the right mood, they can be somewhat enjoyable. Even DAD.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Oh no =;
    Don't get me wrong, It's not like I believe DAD is a shining piece of Bond excellence or something. From 1995 on the films just kept declining in quality. TND is worse than GE, TWINE is worse than TND, ect. Although Brosnan's films aren't that unwatchable. If I'm in the right mood, they can be somewhat enjoyable. Even DAD.

Personally for me GE is by far his best film followed by TWINE fairly far behind. DAD does have its moments and can be quite entertaining. I do like the scene between M and Bond in the underground station. Thats one of a handful of good points in an otherwise bad film.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I can stomach Indy IV more than DAD.
    It possible to sit through DAD. I've done it recently and found myself enjoying it...until Madonna showed up. Once she went away I enjoyed it a bit more again but once they got to Iceland - urgh!
    Bond being chased by a laser beam projecting the heat of the sun. then cgi bond surfing a tidal wave is lame, more so because the effects are second rate.
  • BAIN123 wrote:

south park referrence. awesome.
    jackdagger wrote:
    South Park? "Squeal like a pig!"

@jackdagger best. south park episode. ever. :)

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    BAIN123 wrote:

jackdagger wrote:

what was great about that episode - is not only was it poking fun at Lucas and Spielberg.... but also the angry fanboys as well - who treated the movie like it was the end of the world, and so traumatizing to their childhood memories...

the bashing went both ways on that one ;)
  • HASEROT wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

jackdagger wrote:

what was great about that episode - is not only was it poking fun at Lucas and Spielberg.... but also the angry fanboys as well - who treated the movie like it was the end of the world, and so traumatizing to their childhood memories...

the bashing went both ways on that one ;)

@haserot exactly. What I love about south park is that nobody is immune. They'll take the piss out of anybody, even if they're being threatened by muslim extremists or tom cruise :)
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    7. NO REALISM.

Realism makes a film relatable. Both films went out of their way to add in extra plot details that didn't need to be there.

What I mean by realism is being able to grasp, and believe, what is happening could happen.

And plus, with all that makeup CGI, they don't even look real. The forest chase in Indy IV? All those CG'd light rays, urgh!

^
    If Spielberg and Lucas wait too long to make Indy 5(sigh) they'll have to have a CGI Indy for action parts to insure that Harrison won't brake a hip.
    ^
    If Spielberg and Lucas wait too long to make Indy 5(sigh) they'll have to have a CGI Indy for action parts to insure that Harrison won't brake a hip.

Maybe see if they can find Sir Rog's old stunt double and see if he's still capable of making an old codger look good lol.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If Stallone can do it, why not Ford? ;-)
  • I can actually see them doing an Indiana Jones V, In fact they'll no doubt pay Ford outrageous salaries and bonuses until Mr Ford is still drawing breath, people simply do not know where to stop with these damn sequels sometimes, as long as actors like Stallone and Willis and so on are upright and vocal they're be making films one after the other with the respective actors and their relevant series, it won't change

I haven't even seen Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or whatever it's called so can't really comment, it just wouldn't interest me, it's just not something I would have any desire to see, I liked the early ones in the 1980s but have just lost interest in the series now. Would it be an improvement on Die Another Day though?, obviously I can't tell, two different genres for a start, too different fields of action but something tells me from my viewings and knowledge of the 2002 Bond 'adventure', that Jones would maybe be a winner here, it just would be something better I really do feel. Put it another way, it could hardly be worse..
  • I always enjoy DAD untill they reach Iceland - Then I switch it off.
    I always enjoy IJ IV untill they reach the Amazon - Then I switch it off.

Too bad both films started so strong and derailed so dramatically!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I haven't even seen Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or whatever it's called so can't really comment, it just wouldn't interest me, it's just not something I would have any desire to see, I liked the early ones in the 1980s but have just lost interest in the series now.
    The worst Indy movie is still better than a mid-grade Bond movie IMO. However, the best is no better than the best.
    B-)
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    I haven't even seen Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or whatever it's called so can't really comment, it just wouldn't interest me, it's just not something I would have any desire to see, I liked the early ones in the 1980s but have just lost interest in the series now.
    The worst Indy movie is still better than a mid-grade Bond movie IMO. However, the best is no better than the best.
    B-)

At least in Bond we don't have tons of CGI for what seems to be endless scenes with just action and no substance. The great thing about the Bond films is that for the most part, if the stunt is humanly possible, it will be done for real. I still stare in awe at some of the things that have been pulled off in the past, like the death defying TSWLM opening jump. Just astounding stunt work that deserves applause for the brave souls who accomplished the stunts in question.